Ati Radeon HD 5650 on Lion 10.7 with CI/QE

carlonzo

139 posts in this topic

The boot file is meant to work on snowy too and as far as I am aware the only difference between this method & the snowy one is the option: AtiConfig. On snowy its Eulemur (as thats what I used).

As for AMD, I cannot help you there...sowwie!

@ Dannii.. my bad. I saw it in your signature. Thanks for the help but this method doesnt work on my Toshiba a665d-s6091 with hd 4200m and hd 5650m switchable cards...

switchable are always harder because OSX will choose one over the other.

Awesome!! I love you!! I copy all your tutorial in first post!! thankyou!

i'm glad finally it was worked out :blink: disappeared for a while but am back now.

Getting Lion GM now will let you know how it goes, also have other kexts to work on alc272, and might fix DSDT up :D

Hi danni,

The ATI texts included did not have to be included because they are included as stock. Just a heads up tto save time.I,m glad you figured it out thanks,

Good work though, setting up my triple boot now, lion runs so snappy :rolleyes:

Forcing EDID just basically unscrambles screen just like SwitchResX did or whatever it was called, the big thing need here is being able to extend monitors so you can dual or maybe even hook to your plasma screen without issues?

If all this can be achieved then great.

***Update***

I need extended monitors so I'm using combination of Uakari FB and Forced EDID to get my results, Lion works great. will work on my other hardware now :wacko:

Not working for me, i booted got into pc via vnc got my edid via switchresx pasted and edited it into my display file did ALL steps of the tut but my computer still hangs on the verbose-screen (i can vnc to desktop but do not get it on the laptop display...) pls help me!!

Hi atlee, I am so happy you have yours working too! I was following you in the threads to see if you would come up with something, hehe!

I only put the stock kext in just in case they were needed, wasn't much work at all and it saves anyone asking for them. As you could see... I don't do things by halves I tend to go a bit ott because it usually saves me time in the long run - in my experience, anyway.

The only thing that bugs me about my graphics right now (maybe someone else has had these issues too..) is when I look at gradients I can see the "blocks" of colour change... does anyone get what I mean? Also I really need to calibrate my screen, just can't get it to show colours perfectly (again, I am ott about these things). Another thing that bugs me is brightness I have to use genericbrightness.kext & the brightness app which is a pain but liveable.

Hi atlee, I am so happy you have yours working too! I was following you in the threads to see if you would come up with something, hehe!

I only put the stock kext in just in case they were needed, wasn't much work at all and it saves anyone asking for them. As you could see... I don't do things by halves I tend to go a bit ott because it usually saves me time in the long run - in my experience, anyway.

The only thing that bugs me about my graphics right now (maybe someone else has had these issues too..) is when I look at gradients I can see the "blocks" of colour change... does anyone get what I mean? Also I really need to calibrate my screen, just can't get it to show colours perfectly (again, I am ott about these things). Another thing that bugs me is brightness I have to use genericbrightness.kext & the brightness app which is a pain but liveable.

There is quite a few DSDT edits you could do for brightness including native brightness, my laptop has native, i don't use any brightness kexts, also regarding your colour issues if you are injecting the right EDID information from windows then your MacOSX should be using your forced edid colour profile.

Yeah i had been playing around with ATI 5650m in SL and Lion for quite sometime, I had it working with SwithResX but this new boot file seems to load all four kexts ATI5000Controller, ATIRadeonX3000, ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer which is needed for everything to work.

I'm going to copy ati.c inside of the bootfile so i can port it over to all the new RC5 Chameleon release branches.

Before the previous boot files would only load every kext except for ATIFramebuffer but now with this new one, everything is good. If you use Uakari FB you can have extended desktop.

So I am running dual screens, now i have a great hackingtosh to do design work ;) thanks again for bringing this thread alive, I haven't been around for a while but I'm glad I landed back here.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are having the same problem I had on Snow Leopard (which is why I'm no longer on OSX right now), you are experiencing banding and the wrong pixel depth is shown in system profiler (32 bit is shown, but your graphics look more like 16 bit or lower).

Please let me know if and how you fixed this :)

If you are having the same problem I had on Snow Leopard (which is why I'm no longer on OSX right now), you are experiencing banding and the wrong pixel depth is shown in system profiler (32 bit is shown, but your graphics look more like 16 bit or lower).

Please let me know if and how you fixed this :unsure:

Custom forced EDID should fix this.

Hi fellas!

I did the whole tutorial two times but I always get to a black screen after booting just like "zapsu" seems to get. I strongly assume I did everything correct. At some part of booting in verbose mode I get some infos about the built-in card (name, memory etc) and also there is no scrambling as i usually get without booting with the boot flag "PCIRootUID=1". I guess this could be a hint that the card is recognized correctly and something else is wrong.

Can you give me some advise? May I should try another "AtiConfig"/framebuffer?

My notebook: Dell Studio 1749

i5 520M (2,3 Ghz)

5650M 1024 MB

4 GB RAM

17,3" 1600x900

Okay, now I had a little breakthrough! I edited my blabla717-file again (surprise: I didn't do everything correctly) and corrected it so that it now is absolutley right. Then i rebooted and got scrumblings again. I nearly gave up for today but i tried the following bootflags in chameleon even though I knew i put it in the com.apple.boot-files in /Extra and the other folder (dont know the exact destination):

AtiConfig=Hoolock

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

-v

And tada: I had a black screen without blacklight so i took a hdmi cable connected to my TV and plugged it in an there it was: My desktop. Woohoo. But two things:

1. Why aren't the flags in the boot-files being used? I didn't install anything which could explain it, just the recommended version of chameleon.

2. And what should I do now? I want my LCD being used. Smartie mentioned something like that. Is it easy to fix it? Or will it take another year for me to find out about it?

Thank you for this guide !

Ah ah ah, I've the same laptop that you (HP Pavilion DV6 with Core i7 and ATI 5650m), so I've used youy EDID.

I'm on Snow Leoaprd 10.6.3 and it's works...

:)

EDIT: I've performed a Lioninstallation, and used this guide and it's works

There are some problems with LVDS + 1600x900 + QE/CI.... yet. Am I rigth? Yes! Im right! What a FCKN card 5650m\6550m. During almost 365 days I tried to make LVDS work.... but NOTHING.... ZERO... oh my GOD... please make my internal display work! LET'S PRAY!

Hi,

I'm new to the Hackintosh Scene, and I've got a question.

I'm at SL 10.6.8 right now, and I want to update to Lion. I searched for the "USB methode" you mentioned. So I repaired the 'installESD.dmg' to my 8 gig USB stick. But when I try to boot into the USB stick I got a Kernel Panic, it says something like: "Unable to find a driver for this platform: ACPI [somecrap] IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1504".

Did I use the wrong "USB methode" or is there something else I did wrong that causes this KP?

Thanks,

Lucas T.

EDIT: Got it all working now! Thanks for the GREATtutorial!

I compiled new Chameleon RC5 latest v1331 with edited ATI Hardware ID.

My Hardware ID is 68C1 but subsys is 1448:103C so if your's is different let me know and i'll add it and recompile easy as.

Please find attached.

rc5_v1331_5650m.zip

Hi Atlee,

Could you please try to re-compile a boot for my 1002-68C1 / 1025-033E (Rev 00).

Many thanks.

I compiled new Chameleon RC5 latest v1331 with edited ATI Hardware ID.

My Hardware ID is 68C1 but subsys is 1448:103C so if your's is different let me know and i'll add it and recompile easy as.

Please find attached.

rc5_v1331_5650m.zip

What exactly is the advantage of your boot file with the edited ATI Hardware ID above the original boot file ? I'm new to OS X and the whole mackintosh 'thing'. Is it just a upgrade to make it work with the newer Chameleon release?

Sorry for my Noobness.

My ID 1448:103C and yours 1025:033E so far for 5650m's.

Now v1332.

10.7_rc5v1332_5650m.zip

Hello Atlee,

Using your boot file I cannot get full resolution or QE/CI and wireless (atheros) doesn't work. I am currently using Chameleon rc5 r875 with full resolution and qe/ci. Also get loading errors from audio and ATI3000x kext doesn't load (see underneath).

Regards

Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC (error 0xdc00800e).

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC might not load Couldn't alloc class "AudioAUUCDriver"

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: - kextd is currently unavailable.

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.ATIRadeonX3000 - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.ATIRadeonX3000 - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.ATIRadeonX3000 failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.ATIRadeonX3000 (error 0xdc00800e).

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC might not load - kextd is currently unavailable.Couldn't alloc class "ATIRadeonX3000"

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC might not load - kextd is currently unavailable.

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: mbinit: done [64 MB total pool size, (42/21) split]

Aug 10 20:36:07 localhost kernel[0]: Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused

unquote