Microsoft Office for Linux

Colonel

16 posts in this topic

I love how everyone gets their news from digg. lol. But yeah, anyway, this wont go over well considering most of the people who use unix or linux dont like microsoft, thats why their using an alternate OS in the first place. So what makes them think people are gonna want to run microsoft software on their linux box.

Microsoft within the "next couple of years" will release a version of its Office productivity to run on Linux, Stuart Cohen, chief executive for the Open Source Development Labs, predicted in an interview with vnunet.com at the Linuxworld conference in San Francicso.

Good news! Then OOo needs polish up before MS releases it.

Ok, the reason microsoft would port microsoft office would be for bussinuses... not really for the end users. Corperation like to have tech support... Something that most opensource projects can't really offer. That is why things like RedHat Enterpries sells. You can get something for almost equal value for free... but you can't get the tech support with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just one particularly irritating example of how M$ stuff 'works'. When you save an Excel file as csv (comma separated, so it says) it separates the fields with... well no, not commas but semicolons. I suppose this is because M$ excel uses the list separator in the country settings of Windows ;)

Pathetic.

I love how everyone gets their news from digg. lol. But yeah, anyway, this wont go over well considering most of the people who use unix or linux dont like microsoft, thats why their using an alternate OS in the first place. So what makes them think people are gonna want to run microsoft software on their linux box.

You theory is based on the idea that people who use Linux "hate" Microsoft. This not always true. A lot of people use Linux because it is right for what they are doing. I, for one would consider a MS Office for Linux. OpenOffice is not that great IMHO. I'm not the biggest MS supporter, but I don't support companies and what they do. I support using the right tool for the right job. If Linux is the right OS for what I am doing, but I need MS Office as well, then why not purchase MS Office for Linux.

Seriously think of how much effort is put into Wine/Crossover in making sure MS Office works as well as possible! That should tell you something right there.