[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

MacBookPro6,2 must be set into your smbios.plist and try this one: LegacyAGPM.kext.zip

Or you can modify the LegacyAGPM.kext to work fine referring to http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20367

Its working much better now !! On cinebench in opengl i got 23 points with my 435m, and everything is total smooth. So much Thanks whitegerry !!!!

Hi!

I have a problem with the USB 3 ports.. they don't work...

I installed PXHCD.kext both in E/E and S/L/E and all the permissions are fine (did it with kext utility)

but stil the USB 3 hubs are not recognizable...

does anyone has any idea why?

Thanks!

For sleep, I think the old method should still work, i never got around to setting it up. Gestures wont work because we dont have the right track pad. Our hardware doesn't support that kind of multitouch as far as I know. I never notice the boot time personally. Unless it takes about 3 minutes, or such an unusually long time to boot i wouldn't worry.

What is the "old" method?

Thanks,

PkL728

It is posted somewhere in this thread. There are some terminal commands to enable sleep. Just scan back, it should be somewhere in the middle ish of this thread.

Found it, the USBBusFix stuff. However when it comes back from sleep mode my track pad and keyboard are not functioning. I don't recall, was there ever a fix for that?

Also, I used Vlad's SetupAssistant.zip file but I still keep getting that stupid Bluetooth setup wizard every time I restart.

Thanks,

PkL728

Found it, the USBBusFix stuff. However when it comes back from sleep mode my track pad and keyboard are not functioning. I don't recall, was there ever a fix for that?

Also, I used Vlad's SetupAssistant.zip file but I still keep getting that stupid Bluetooth setup wizard every time I restart.

Thanks,

PkL728

I get keyboard but no mouse after sleep so i dont bother using it. The boot time are fast with mac so i dont mind shutting it down.

I fixed the bluetooth thing somehow.... cant remeber how.

I think go to the bluetooth icon uptop, click on it and go to "Open bluetooth prefferances, after look at the bottom right and click advanced, and uincheck all the items uptop. As far as i remeber only the first and second option should be checked stock, uncheck those and that will fix the pop up. So now you should see no check in the top options. The issue with us is the keyboard is not properly detected and thats whats causing the pop up.

Thanks,

PkL728

In the terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth  BluetoothAutoSeekPointingDevice -bool NO
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth  BluetoothAutoSeekKeyboard -bool NO

Or manually edit /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

post-487214-1312441604_thumb.png

In the terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth  BluetoothAutoSeekPointingDevice -bool NO
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth  BluetoothAutoSeekKeyboard -bool NO

Or manually edit /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

post-487214-1312441604_thumb.png

Hey thanks I'll give that a try! Did you happen to have any success getting the track pad to be functional after coming out of sleep mode?

Any updates on the usb ports? Seems like I can use my wireless mouse in all 3 ports, but things like my USB wireless dongle only work in the usb 2.0 port.

Hey thanks I'll give that a try! Did you happen to have any success getting the track pad to be functional after coming out of sleep mode?

Any updates on the usb ports? Seems like I can use my wireless mouse in all 3 ports, but things like my USB wireless dongle only work in the usb 2.0 port.

I have too.

Strange I have works "Logitech ".

I have too.

Strange I have works "Logitech ".

Also, whenever I pull my wireless mouse usb out of the port, my screen goes grey and I get the "You must restart your computer" message in 5 different languages.

Hey, does anyone have the latest or the last 10.7 kext collection from vlad? It i s deleted on media fire. I am gonna try to go for 10.7.2. You can download you copy of 10.7.2 at www.imzdl.com

UPDATE: found a copy on my laptop of kexts :D

UPDATE 2: Works like a charm!!! As soon as you install the 10.7.2 update, dont click OK or restart, First go an replace the kexts, with the once vlad posted up, then replace the battery kexts and run kext utility. Restart it after you have ran the kext utility and your done. After just use Chameleon wizard to update you chameleon vesion to the latest one (1306) I think. very simple and straightforward. NO need to replace stuff in the extra folder, thats all good as is.

UPDATE 3: Well there is a little hickup, on boot it now says that apple.com.boot.plist, so the list has depreciated, says please use org.chamelion.plist or something along these lines. All you do on your part durring boot is click "A" and it uses that plist. Everything works well and as should, just will stay at the promt that tells you to click a, once you do, it proceeds, a little annoying thing. I do recommend the update, geek bench showed 7250ish results so i guess Apple fixed a few bugs here and there 250 free points of preformance :D

UPDATE 4: The animations are a lot soother then they were before and the system all together feel a lot more responsive. Worth the upgrade.

;):) I accidentally killed my system. I thik I deleted or restarted without fixing permissions on the extensions. How can I start it up in something like "safe mode and fix the extension issue?

UPDATE FIXED: Just reinstalled the os without formating the disk or anything, preseves all the apps, settings and everything really. pop in the LION usb and your good to go.

I decided I would give Cinebench a try and I discovered that I get 2 FPS on the car chase scene! I originally installed the "official" NVidia drivers when I upgraded to 10.7. Is there a better driver set to use?

Use the LegacyAGPM.kext and install it ,posted by whitegerry

Use the LegacyAGPM.kext and install it ,posted by whitegerry

Bingo, 24 fps now. Thanks!

What audio drivers would you guys recommend? I tried using the one posted by Vlad with the Boom program, but I get audio pops every now and then.

Bingo, 24 fps now. Thanks!

What audio drivers would you guys recommend? I tried using the one posted by Vlad with the Boom program, but I get audio pops every now and then.

I get a pop when the audio is first used after boot - after that it's good. Always have for Snow Leopard and now Lion - I can live with it but a solution would be nice.

As for my personal graphics freeze on Lion, I still have no idea why only I seem to suffer from it, for all my smbios and dsdt.aml tweaks plus adding the CUDA drivers all I gained was a longer period before the dreaded freeze would hit - no activity from the display - often a black line that sometimes grew a little with keypresses top left above Apple logo - only solution would be to hard power off and restart.

In desperation I went back to some old Snow Leopard posts where Mach Desktop had been installed with a video wallpaper and this fixed the freeze up - so checked in the Lion app store and Mach Desktop is there - bought it and set a quicktime aquarium video wallpaper - little to no difference in temp or performance - 4 days of running Lion and NO FREEZE - so weird but after all that arsing around this fixed it - I am even running my Windows 7 64bit main install via parallels virtual boot camp in Lion no problem they both hum along smooth as silk - 3gb Ram for virtual machine and 5gb for Lion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Would it be ok to install the 10.7.1 update from Apple's update server as long as I replace all of Vlad's kexts? Has anyone tried? Or would the official update be a bad thing?

I have done the official update (actually I did it before adding any of Vlad's kexts) - so I believe it should be safe.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I'm a n00b and now have Lion running very well on my Dell XPS l501x. I used a combination this thread and the Lion quick install guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259068

My outstanding issues:

- wifi - Intel card so no surprises (will look at replacing this)

- TouchPad stops working after sleep (same as others on this thread)

- My Video card is only showing 1024Mb of Ram, when it should have 2Gb (435m)

So no big problems. ;)

Thanks again!

I have a L701X and i want to install Lion. I am very confused with all the methods and what I need and how i can install it. I've tried it before with 10.6.3 and my system freezes and kernel panics. Is there a clean, new install manual (step-by-step) for this great laptop to use it with Lion?

Good news ;) .

post-487214-1315238060_thumb.png

and

post-487214-1315237870_thumb.png

Drivers

That is so awesome! :)

I don't know if everyone will have this issue, but my drivers did not install correctly from the mpkg file. I got it to work by manually re-installing the kexts using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from TonyMac. FYI, the two kexts installed are

HSSDBlockStorage.kext

JMB38X.kext

Cheers, and thanks vladlenas!

BuffDriver

I have a L502X which has the same ALC665 audio chipset. I am running Lion and have no sound at all. I just read this entire thread and I am a little unsure on how you guys got audio working. Tips?

Have you looked at post 183 and post 205?

Also, remember that many of the results that users in this thread have achieved are due to a DSDT that will be different for the 501/701 than for your 502.

Hope this helps,

BuffDriver