Wake-on-Lan, Power States, Chameleon, Ethernet NIC

Kieron

7 posts in this topic

Okay. So I have had OSX 10.6.4 setup on my Asrock ConroeXSata working fine for a while now, minus a few niggles here and there.

Now I'm trying to get WOL to work. I think my problem is the power state the system drops too when you shutdown (sleep doesn't work...) - I need a 'soft shutdown' so the onboard ethernet NIC stays powered, so I can send the magic packet and wazam, wake it up.

Can anyone help on this? Info is particularly sparse, probably due to the fact that this situation is so unique (OSX installed on PC hw, etc. etc.)

Perhaps it has something to do with the chameleon bootloader config? I've no idea.

Btw, I've been trying to WOL through the dd-wrt on my router, to no avail.

If you need any more info please just ask.

Thanks in advance guys,

K

Start by installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5, this will be very helpful in getting native CPU power management working.

Use the search to find the release thread with lots of useful information on how to proceed.

If you're not comfortable installing Chameleon manually, there's another thread with an installer for the latest version.

Start by installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5, this will be very helpful in getting native CPU power management working.

Use the search to find the release thread with lots of useful information on how to proceed.

If you're not comfortable installing Chameleon manually, there's another thread with an installer for the latest version.

Thank you for your reply.

I've updated from RC4 to RC5, but still my 'Sleep problem' prevails. I've searched, and there are a plethora of 'fixes' that all vary - but I'm weary about trying out random things, that possibly/probably won't even work - I did this last time, and my installation was utterly rouined and I had to start from scratch.

K

I installed the latest sleepenabler.kext, now I can't boot. I can't even boot into singleuser mode, it hangs at System uptime...

This is exactly what I was talking about! Where do I go from here? :)

Okay, after removing with the CD in terminal, and installing the latest SleepEnabler kext from Merklot, still no success. WOL doesn't work, nor does sleep. With sleep, the PC comes back on when I hit the flashing power button, fans and HDs start up, but screens are blank and keyboard is off.

?:)

Sleep and Shutdown are power states. You need working native power management to have WOL.

Forget about Sleepenabler.

Installing Chameleon is not enough, you have to configure it via /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist as described in the release thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

AppleLPC.kext and AppleHPET.kext must be loaded, you DSDT processor scope must be unmodified, etc etc:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ost&p=10065

Do you have this in Energy Saver prefs:

Screen_shot_2010_10_24_at_11.16.27_AM.png

Is your ethernet recognized by the OS as built-in?

Screen_shot_2010_10_24_at_11.22.57_AM.png

If not, set EthernetBuiltIn=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

• 2 weeks later...