AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

So should I just boot the retail DVD from that?

Thanks for the help

Be aware that your ASUS m2n61-ar MOBO (HP/Compaq motherboard name: Acacia-GL6E) has a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset.........if the nForce 430 chipset is not fully AHCI compliant not every Boot CD will necessarily be able to boot into the kernel because of not loading the correct SATA/PATA controller kext for your MOBO chipset, i.e. AppleNForceATA.kext.........

Here is the list of device+vendor id for supported pata/sata chipsets by this kext from MeDevil:

PATA: 0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10de

SATA: 0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

Thanks for the guide and the bootcd. Install went well but....

I can not boot without the bootcd (ver 1.5 from the tut)

Installed the retail dvd and rebooted using bootcd and setup user, country etc. loaded necessary kexts to get sound and ethernet running. Installed the new kernel via the installer pkg (link at bottom of tutorial) to save doing the patch.

Installed Chameleon 651 from installer pkg.

System is all working except that to boot into the system I have to use the bootcd. If I don't use the bootcd then I get Waiting for root device. in verbose mode it stops loading at USBMSC Identifier non unique...... which is where it should be booting from the hdd.

I partitioned the hdd for 1 partition (guid) and the hdd is a sata 300gb.

my com.apple.Boot.plist has the following:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 busratio=16 -force64</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

and legacy_kernel is in the root.

Any ideas where I am going wrong. I have reloaded the OS about 6 times so far and tried many different bootloader versions but always the same.

I am no expert but I have 2 other machines here running running OSX on Pc hardware.

Thanks for the guide and the bootcd. Install went well but....

I can not boot without the bootcd (ver 1.5 from the tut)

Installed the retail dvd and rebooted using bootcd and setup user, country etc. loaded necessary kexts to get sound and ethernet running. Installed the new kernel via the installer pkg (link at bottom of tutorial) to save doing the patch.

Installed Chameleon 651 from installer pkg.

System is all working except that to boot into the system I have to use the bootcd. If I don't use the bootcd then I get Waiting for root device. in verbose mode it stops loading at USBMSC Identifier non unique...... which is where it should be booting from the hdd.

I partitioned the hdd for 1 partition (guid) and the hdd is a sata 300gb.

my com.apple.Boot.plist has the following:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 busratio=16 -force64</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

and legacy_kernel is in the root.

Any ideas where I am going wrong. I have reloaded the OS about 6 times so far and tried many different bootloader versions but always the same.

I am no expert but I have 2 other machines here running running OSX on Pc hardware.

if you get still waiting

you may forget to put atiata kext on system/library/extensions and then run pfix

Problem is whenever i switch my BIOS from Native IDE to AHCI , i get to use only 1 Sata port out of five (SATA_2) ports. Hence my SATA hard drive never gets detected. I even I get errors like no device detected.

Secondly if i boot in NativeIDE mode which is not an AHCI mode, both SATA DVD and SATA HDD gets detected in the BIOS but not in Disk Utility.

Am using 1.5 Boot Cd With Snow Leopard 10.6.0 (10A432) Retail DVD. An if I use 10.6.3 Reatil DVD it opens up in Restore Mac Page.

Here's my annoying board:

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/produc...spx?pid=3475#ov

with AMD phenom II X6 1055T

Shall I give you BIOS pages screenshots?

Problem is whenever i switch my BIOS from Native IDE to AHCI , i get to use only 1 Sata port out of five (SATA_2) ports. Hence my SATA hard drive never gets detected. I even I get errors like no device detected.

Secondly if i boot in NativeIDE mode which is not an AHCI mode, both SATA DVD and SATA HDD gets detected in the BIOS but not in Disk Utility.

I had a similar problem with my ASUS motherboard where setting all of my SATA ports to AHCI would result in only the first three of six ports to be detected.

I guess in your case I would recommend using the single available sata port on the hard drive when you have the ports set to AHCI and mirror the install disc and boot disc to flash drives. Then just boot from the flash drives to install everything on to the hard drive. Once you have everything installed you could then install the appropriate kext to gain IDE support and have your dvd drive detected as well.

if you get still waiting

you may forget to put atiata kext on system/library/extensions and then run pfix

Thanks for the hint but no change, still getting waiting for...

Interestingly the pfix failed to load the atiata kext so I use "kext helper" and then on reboot ran pfix no problems.

I am getting:

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib kmod start

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load successful

If I have a usb key inserted then the USBMSC thing goes here

Then the waiting for...

I should be getting a "Got Boot device" .... message in verbose mode.

If I try to boot with -v -x I can hear the hdd and it's activity light is flashing so I am assuming that the hdd addressing is correct.

Any other hints?

I had a similar problem with my ASUS motherboard where setting all of my SATA ports to AHCI would result in only the first three of six ports to be detected.

I guess in your case I would recommend using the single available sata port on the hard drive when you have the ports set to AHCI and mirror the install disc and boot disc to flash drives. Then just boot from the flash drives to install everything on to the hard drive. Once you have everything installed you could then install the appropriate kext to gain IDE support and have your dvd drive detected as well.

Thanks I'll try that. In that case I'll have to have a flash drive that would accommodate both the Install Disc and The Boot Drive. Right?

Thanks I'll try that. In that case I'll have to have a flash drive that would accommodate both the Install Disc and The Boot Drive. Right?

You can probably make due with one flash drive by properly partitioning the drive, copying the install disc onto it and then installing chameleon with the appropriate kernel and kexts, but it would probably be easier just to use two flash drives, one for loading a pre-made bootcd and one for loading the install disc.

Hi Mohamed,

Nice topic. Thank you.

if you want to donate you can donate valv to buy AMD pc to make tests on it to add support for amd on bootloader topic here
That is so kind from you to post it here. Thank you very much :)

awesome guide ! Just installed tonight on a Biostar A770e3 board, Athlon X4 620, and Radeon 5670. After 10.6.5 update, video was messed up so I moved the drive to another machine and finished the rest of the guide from there. Moved drive back into my system, and video is good, and system boots properly. Off to fix the sound now - thanks again!

I attempted this guide on my Phenom X4 PC. I get as far as the installation with the load bar and everything. All seems to be going well then it stalls and gives me the rainbow wheel. Most of the time it just stays like that and other times it reboots. I don't know what the problem is! I can only boot in safe mode but i don't think that makes a difference. Help Would Be appreciated.

Thanks!

I attempted this guide on my Phenom X4 PC. I get as far as the installation with the load bar and everything. All seems to be going well then it stalls and gives me the rainbow wheel. Most of the time it just stays like that and other times it reboots. I don't know what the problem is! I can only boot in safe mode but i don't think that makes a difference. Help Would Be appreciated.

Thanks!

need more information about your hardware and your problem :)

need help installing onto a SATA drive without any AHCI options in my Pheonix Bios :(

boot cd contain atiata nforceata kexts

Here is my setup

Motherboard- Gigabyte GAMA790XTUD4P

Processor- AMD Phenom II

Video Card- ATI Radeon HD 4850

Sound Card- Sound Blaster XFi Titanium

this problem is from gfx

as ati cards works on different framebuffer

so if you can wait like two days

i will make new boot cd with kabyl bootloader that enable you choose frambuffer before load mac :rolleyes:

just wait to thursday :P

Mohamed, thank you for this great post!! :rolleyes:

Here's the thing, I followed your guide, and got quite few things working.., video is fully recognized.. cpu has the right speed and amount of cores... but doesn't seem to work properly. It does sees the 8GB of RAM.

But unfortunately there are also few problems:

- first time I succesfully booted into snow leopard with full video support and all, every app crashes when I try to open it.. except for Safari and Quicktime..

- hardeware overview says the system is mac mini 2,1..? it was hacksomething 1,1 after I first installed snow leopard..

- when I boot into chameleon it says 'errors encountered while starting the computer' 'pausing 5 seconds' and then it just boots.. always had this message.. also with boot cd btw.

- reboot / shutdown doesnt seem to work, when I try reboot it goes well until I get the apples blue screen with the loading logo, it goes very slow.. so just have to do it manually.

I used Nawcom's Mod cd to boot and installed using Snow Leopard retail dvd. I did try to use your boot cd, but it didn't work out, it just kept on resetting my whole bios settings to default.

After that I followed the guide, updated to 10.6.5, installed bootloader.. rebooted, installed video kext and pkg's etc.

I'm not sure what the main problem is here I guess it's booting in 64bit mode? I don't really need that.. even if I have more than 4gb ram, im fine with 32bit.

If I boot into snow leopard with mod cd, apps work except that there is no video support, a 1024x resolution.

Anyone knows how to solve this or has faced similar situation? Any help would be great.

Thank you!

System:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.3Ghz

MOBO: GA-MA790FX-DQ6

RAM: 4x 2GB Mushkin XP2-8500 DDRII 1066Mhz

VGA: ATi HD4890 SuperClocked Club 3D 1GB

HDD #1: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

HDD #2: WD Caviar GP 500GB