AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

Hope this doesn't bother anyone just thought I would share my install before asking some questions.

I have an amd 550 unlocked and over clocked to x4 3.5

msi 785gtm-e45 motherboard (bios set to ahci)

4gigs ram single stick

sapphire 5700

I installed twice once using the .6 boot cd then the current install in using 1.5 boot cd (both worked using the first post as a guide)

after the combo update my graphics are stellar. but no sound. I have also done the standard mac updates and ran into a few random snags.

now for my questions.

no sound (i'm using the hdmi for sound) voodoohda doesn't work, it adds hdmi out but no sound. I know it can work, it did with atkos s3v2 (I can't find the kexts on that disk to try them).

MK thanks for the perfect guide!

Any help from anyone would be appreciated

I'm still stuck at the pre install screen, kernel panic with ACPI errors.

I get the same error with your Boot CD 10.5 and the latest Nawcom CD. Also the same error with OS X 10.6.3 and 10.6.0 retail discs. Unfortunately there's no ACPI settings in my BIOS. Is there any way to fix this?

post-625212-1291762557_thumb.jpg

I have always been a windows guy, and recently switched to mac. I have a desktop I built and I'm not great with comps. Here are my specs, I just wondering if there was anything different I'd have to do.

M2N32 Mother

2 GB of Ram installed (8GB max supported)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core Processor 6000+

Nividia Geforce 8800 GTS

500 GB Sata Drive

Mad dog DVD burner

Liteon DVD Burner

ATI Video input

I'm asking around to try and find out if the 29.99 disk will work. I was told by apple it can be used on a mac with no OS at all to do the full install. I'd like to attempt this and see if I can do it.

NawcomModCD worked fine :( thanks

Hey dudes,

i've got a problem with installing the combo update, there was a kernel panic during the install.

the first time:

post-463184-1291571501_thumb.jpg

and the second try:

post-463184-1291572006_thumb.jpg

what is the reason for that? what can i do?

That look like a CPU core problem. I had such thing time to time. It's freaking random. I already disabled one of my cores that always causing the KP, so far so good.

Your guide was great. I would recommend only one troubleshooting tip to be added:

If you get the black screen on the boot CD, type this in the boot menu:

GraphicsEnabler=No -x

That will disable injecting and boot in safe mode. Worked great on this system:

Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

4GB DDR2

Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB (batmobile cooler)

ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard (AHCI enabled)

My only issue is that the onboard audio doesn't work with VoodooHDA (VIA codec of some sort). I'm going to be using a USB interface anyhow so it's of no concern to me, but something for people with identical hardware to be aware of.

I did things slightly different:

1.) Followed everything identical through installing 10.6.5 update and not rebooting.

Instead of doing all the junk in Terminal, I downloaded a PKG for Chameleon and installed (which you have linked)

Then I copied the Extras folder from the boot CD to my Mac partition

After that I downloaded the PKG for the 10.5 legacy kernel and installed that

Last, I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and only checked the option in the enablers to turn on the Uakari frame buffer.

Rebooted and *poof* it worked like a charm. Like, really really well. Installed all software updates and life is grand. So your Boot CD is invaluable and I thank you so much for it. :unsure:

Here is the problem. I installed Retail 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.5, installed Chameleon, LegacyKarnel, ATiATA, FakeSMC, pfix.. rebooted and everything was ok, now i attach my original Apple Keyboard and Mouse and it hangs on boot, what to do?

7umr6tdrppt8km05hr0.jpg

Your guide was great. I would recommend only one troubleshooting tip to be added:

If you get the black screen on the boot CD, type this in the boot menu:

GraphicsEnabler=No -x

That will disable injecting and boot in safe mode. Worked great on this system:

Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

4GB DDR2

Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB (batmobile cooler)

ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard (AHCI enabled)

My only issue is that the onboard audio doesn't work with VoodooHDA (VIA codec of some sort). I'm going to be using a USB interface anyhow so it's of no concern to me, but something for people with identical hardware to be aware of.

I did things slightly different:

1.) Followed everything identical through installing 10.6.5 update and not rebooting.

Instead of doing all the junk in Terminal, I downloaded a PKG for Chameleon and installed (which you have linked)

Then I copied the Extras folder from the boot CD to my Mac partition

After that I downloaded the PKG for the 10.5 legacy kernel and installed that

Last, I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and only checked the option in the enablers to turn on the Uakari frame buffer.

Rebooted and *poof* it worked like a charm. Like, really really well. Installed all software updates and life is grand. So your Boot CD is invaluable and I thank you so much for it. :(

Mr. Impaler,

Feels good to have everything working right! We have similar setups, it's kinda weird I setup my system at least 4 different times, The first few times I needed all kinds of boot flags, this last time, None. Smooth sailing!

Anyway I have a saphire 5770 And no sound either. I have only tried the voodoohda linked in the guide, no go. I have had sound through hdmi with Iatkos but I can't find the kexts on the disk, any idea where they are or what they were? I think it was both applehda and voodoohda and I know I had a control panel for voodoohda.

Looks to me like you know what your doing more than me, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Great... found out that I can't start topics. I was wondering since AMDs don't support SSSE3 instruction set, is the a way I can force Quick Look (ie. Quick Look Helper) to run in a 32 bit mode. It crashes when using quicktime based media in 64bit mode uses dyld_shared_cache_x86_64 instead of dyld_shared_cache_i386 which would be preferred. is there a way I can write an exception for quick look similar as too forcing application to run a 32bit mode without running everything in 32 bit mode?

another tip or maybe I screwed up either way, here goes.

sometimes when i boot it just stops, it seems to be confused where my hard drive is. If i put a cd in the disk drive (not boot from it) it boots just fine!

just something else to try other than boot flags.

Great... found out that I can't start topics. I was wondering since AMDs don't support SSSE3 instruction set, is the a way I can force Quick Look (ie. Quick Look Helper) to run in a 32 bit mode. It crashes when using quicktime based media in 64bit mode uses dyld_shared_cache_x86_64 instead of dyld_shared_cache_i386 which would be preferred. is there a way I can write an exception for quick look similar as too forcing application to run a 32bit mode without running everything in 32 bit mode?

You should be able to right-click --> Get Info and check a box for 32-bit mode. I prefer to run the whole OS in 32-bit mode because of that specific problem and it's no sweat. It's not like Windows where you're arbitrarily locked below 4GB of memory; OS X runs PAE correctly.

Mr. Impaler,

Feels good to have everything working right! We have similar setups, it's kinda weird I setup my system at least 4 different times, The first few times I needed all kinds of boot flags, this last time, None. Smooth sailing!

Anyway I have a saphire 5770 And no sound either. I have only tried the voodoohda linked in the guide, no go. I have had sound through hdmi with Iatkos but I can't find the kexts on the disk, any idea where they are or what they were? I think it was both applehda and voodoohda and I know I had a control panel for voodoohda.

Looks to me like you know what your doing more than me, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Not really sure; I quit looking into the VIA audio once I realized my FastTrack would work for system sounds. You might be able to do it with HDA Patcher and get a dump from Linux but I'm finding that even a $10 USB audio device woudl save you a ton of headaches.

Mohamed thanks for all your great work.

I am trying to follow this guide but I am running into a problem after running the SL DVD. I am using bootcd 1.5 and a retail version of SL 10.6.0. I am able to get into the installer just fine. I partitioned the hd as a GPT and the install went perfectly with no errors. At the end the computer was restarted and when I got back to the boot loader I selected the hd and hit enter. It starts to load things but then the computer just shuts off. It happens so quickly that all I am able to see is that is says CPU Halted.

When I go to turn the computer back on I get the error "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded " and I have to go into the bios and set the Sata type back to AHCI and the boot priority back to the proper order. I have updated the bios to the newest version from Asus but it is still giving this error after the sudden shutdown.

How do I fix this?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

MB: Asus M2A-VM

Ram: 5 GB

HD: 250GB Sata

DVD: IDE DVD-Rom

Video Card: I am using the onboard but I have a gforce 9500gt that I plan on using once I get everything going (the 9500 was working properly on 10.5.7)

did you restored dmg on hdd before do that

Well I used transmac to write the dmg to a seagate external hard drive, I plugged in the hard drive and then booted from the bootcd, i figured it would act the same as if the dmg was on a thumb drive, but the boot cd did not recognize the hard drive with the dmg on it... now i dont know wat to do!