Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Also the logo contest could be a good things, who will manage it?

I discussed with my team and :

DieBuche

has been promoted for the responsibilty of:

Overall graphical design in the prefpane

Any localization question should go to him.

He his the most skilled member for that matter and will manage this :angry:

Thanks DieBuche !

Hi Dudes,

First of all thanx for your great work,

I have some feature request xD

1. It would be great if chameleon is able to handle different boot.plist (and of course dsdt.aml) for the same osx system, this would be great to create a USB/eSata/FW Install that can run on a several kind of different Hardware, today I use Grup to boot different (modded) EmpireEFI isos. My Personal Goal is a boot dvd (without osx) that can handle different Situations.

2. A Self configurable Menu (Verbose, Singleuser etc) would be great

3. A custom Info File for Kernel Flags is also a need feature

4. It would be great if I can install Chameleon on FAT16/32/Ext3 Partitions, I dream about a live Linux or XPE on the same stick so that I can modify the Stick/HDD without a installed system (currently I use a DOS with HFS+ driver cause thats the fastest booting OS I know)

5. Is there a bug that the system wont boot when a NTFS/FAT32 formatted USB 2.0 Stick is attached to a 1.1 Port ?

6 a documentation about preboot.dmg (cant find any) Is it a invention from EmpireEFI or comes the preboot.dmg from your side ? nevertheless Contains the preboot.dmg a second Chameleon ! why ?

Once again thanx for your excellent work

Hi Dudes,

First of all thanx for your great work,

I have some feature request xD

1. It would be great if chameleon is able to handle different boot.plist (and of course dsdt.aml) for the same osx system, this would be great to create a USB/eSata/FW Install that can run on a several kind of different Hardware, today I use Grup to boot different (modded) EmpireEFI isos. My Personal Goal is a boot dvd (without osx) that can handle different Situations.

Well you can manually select (force) one boot config and probably and combobox with other detected boot files could be great, please add this to the issues and prefix it with "OT:wishlist"

2. A Self configurable Menu (Verbose, Singleuser etc) would be great

mmmm, see the Boot Flags, everything you need is already there for that I belivee

3. A custom Info File for Kernel Flags is also a need feature

I don't see your point here sorry, the custom info plist file is the boot config,

I would hate to have to manage more than one for the boot personally.

4. It would be great if I can install Chameleon on FAT16/32/Ext3 Partitions, I dream about a live Linux or XPE on the same stick so that I can modify the Stick/HDD without a installed system (currently I use a DOS with HFS+ driver cause thats the fastest booting OS I know)

You can use an EFI boot partition in your system and then manage all your booting needs for them,

so -1 for that one because it is not a trivial task to do and we already have IMHO sufficient worarounds with this kind of problem

5. Is there a bug that the system wont boot when a NTFS/FAT32 formatted USB 2.0 Stick is attached to a 1.1 Port ?

AFAIK, It is likely to be a USB specific problem, not all usb brands work for booting.

6 a documentation about preboot.dmg (cant find any) Is it a invention from EmpireEFI or comes the preboot.dmg from your side ? nevertheless Contains the preboot.dmg a second Chameleon ! why ?

I don't have all the sources yet in the public repos., Zef is busy right now but I believe we will have this with the installer asap hopefully.

I would also like to thanks Prasys for joining the public repository of chameleon,

and he knows about that very well as he is the author EmpireEFI.

Once again thanx for your excellent work

NP, it's an exciting project that currently occupies my late evenings, my early mornings, my week ends, some of my holidays, so I guess I really like it too :D

Well noticed. ;) Would u say it's too close?

Maybe, but it looks great :)

As far as I'm concerned as long it fits in with Apple's design standards and the design looks elegant and simple to use then I'm all for it. I personally, would just take similar design cues from Apple's existing ones. But there's a fair bit to fit in so do whatever works.

But thanks for being open and sharing your ideas. I think planning ahead now for future revisions with design in mind will aid rekursor with his development plans. And remember, you can't please everyone..

Regards

blackosx

+1

Wow +1 Looks really great :)

Not sure how we are going to implement that but this is why I gave this task to DieBuche,

he will know ;)

Well, while waiting for that future impl., I fixed many discrepancies of last version and wired an About dialog box.

This version looks robust for me, now the states of the combox boxes, text fields, checkboxes are all in sync.

So this is the version 2.0 RC1 :D

Here:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...eonPrefPane/bin

So this is the version 2.0 RC1 ;)

Here:

Working for me!

I've just see that we have gfxutil for the Efi string, could be possible to have the option of inserting a xml text instead of the hex string in the device proprieties box and to convert it "in background" for the c.a.B.p, maybe with a checkbox to see the .hex or the .plist.

That would be useful to add efi strings without using terminal

i mocked up a gui in photoshop; what do u think?

chameleon.png

That'd be great. if u need help on this, pm me

Amazing +100 ;)

Wow +1 Looks really great :)

Not sure how we are going to implement that but this is why I gave this task to DieBuche,

he will know :)

Well, while waiting for that future impl., I fixed many discrepancies of last version and wired an About dialog box.

This version looks robust for me, now the states of the combox boxes, text fields, checkboxes are all in sync.

So this is the version 2.0 RC1 :)

Here:

The last works for me.

Rek :D

I've just see that we have gfxutil for the Efi string, could be possible to have the option of inserting a xml text instead of the hex string in the device proprieties box and to convert it "in background" for the c.a.B.p, maybe with a checkbox to see the .hex or the .plist.

That would be useful to add efi strings without using terminal

Good idea. Especially those have difficult with terminal and hence gfxutil. This should simplify the whole process of conversion from plist to hex

Scrax;)

Oh thy for reply rekursor

mhh is it possible to use EFI on second Partition When LiveLinux or XPE are on the first... good idea should I try next nights... doesnt matter here

With "3. A custom Info File for Kernel Flags" I mean only a custom Information Page not the Bootlist, but dosnt matter its not necessary

about the Combo box, its a great honor for me that you take it for a sense full idea I dreamed about this while I was testing some configs on pcs from friends, and there was only one machine to manipulate the usb-stick, very booring when u have to boot into windows with macdrive just to copy a kext or changing a hardware id.

To solve this in future I have another idea, I think about a mini live-linux from scratch for the "dirty-jobs" Bootlist editing, Kext moving, kextcache building, id-changing, lscpi, Bios sensor table viewing, dsdt patching, Chameleon Installing ;-) in fact everything prasys EmpireEFI (thx to him) + Tools (Thx to them) have but on linux shell level, 5secs booting, and maybe in future time online Kext repo :-) "aptget -i fakesmc.kext" would be nice or not ? Or in far future time hardware scanning and automatically downloading stable kext & config packets would be a great Enhancement or not baaaam xD

Just an idea, if you need a beta tester, graphics or website dude or any other help (c,c++) please ask :-)

" please add this to the issues and prefix it with "OT:wishlist" " You mean me ? where can i find the wishlist if xD

@DieBuche Great work, a clean & stylish Interface can´t wait to run it @ home ! thanks

.... about the efi string

Good idea. Especially those have difficult with terminal and hence gfxutil. This should simplify the whole process of conversion from plist to hex

Thanks, please write this feature in a OT:wishlist on the issues of the repository, will care of it for future versions.

Now my priority is to have a minimum but useful functions to implement smbios,

help DieBuche for the coding aspect of his (excellent) photoshop design, hopefully making it as close as possible with some differences I can already foresee:

I like the lock like it is as it is the standard pref pane lock, a button would be a bit a of regression for me as there is a full band where people can click to unlock the panel.

I can certainly handle the vertical bar selection and make it as close as the original,

then for the boot selection page, I'm not sure we 'see' enough disks, some of us have more than 10 partitions active and I would like to be able to see without scrolling at least 5 partitions, current version is capable to display 7 parts with no scrolling.

Then we might need to split even more the current tabs of the view panel because of the room already taken by the left panel.

Still this is feasible and a beautiful design that we have here so I'll try my best ...

So this is the version 2.0 RC1 :)

Here:

Hey, thanks for you work hard !, the app is good but here are some observations:

-In Boot Theme combo option, for example I have only two themes and they are with different name, i suggest you that this option is filled with actual directory info and not pre-fill with standard names.

-The automatic detection of windows partitions still not work well ...

-There is a typo error in Boot config path square tooltip (Not check box).

-Restart Fix check box is checked for disable it, then is better change name to Disable Restart Fix.

-Move SMBIOS path option to SMBIOS tab.

-Cosmetic fix: fix the tab labels to same size, seem sorted from highest to lowest size.

-Restart Fix check box is checked for disable it, then is better change name to Disable Restart Fix.

the restart fix is enable to default in the last boot of asere :) For disable it, uncheck the option and:

Restartfix --> No in com.apple. ...

Hi;)

I would also like to thanks Prasys for joining the public repository of chameleon,

and he knows about that very well as he is the author EmpireEFI.

Great news. The more developers the better.

p.s. I am still inclined to like github more (I miss blame).

NP, it's an exciting project that currently occupies my late evenings, my early mornings, my week ends, some of my holidays, so I guess I really like it too :)

Man you guys are flying. Awesome work. I hereby invite you all for a virtual treat of your liking. I just realized how fast things can go wrong – my daughter was rushed to the hospital after a hit and run accident (:

Great news. The more developers the better.

p.s. I am still inclined to like github more (I miss blame).

Man you guys are flying. Awesome work. I hereby invite you all for a virtual treat of your liking. I just realized how fast things can go wrong – my daughter was rushed to the hospital after a hit and run accident (:

Master Chief, hope all is well, best wishes.

All my best wishes go to your daugther Chief today :angel:

This is clearly much more important than any computer matter, hope it will go well for her.

Thinking about that, I'm going to have a look to my kids, enough programming for today.

Am stuck in a loop or something on reboot. Can't get past the selectable startup icons on a Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R. How do I uninstall the Chameleon prefpane parts and files?

Edit: nevermind, I got it. Didn't know that this thing edited the com.apple.Boot,plist file

@@ smith,

You said some fixes from the public repos. of the chameleon booter would not work for you (just read that in an other forum) ?

Could you please tell me what does not work for you ?

And if it does work with aserebln 1.1.7 (would be estonishing as we merged most of its relevant changes but is still possible as he did not publish all his sources yet, which is not in accordance with the APSL but well :P

Thanks !

@@ smith,

You said some fixes from the public repos. of the chameleon booter would not work for you (just read that in an other forum) ?

Could you please tell me what does not work for you ?

And if it does work with aserebln 1.1.7 (would be estonishing as we merged most of its relevant changes but is still possible as he did not publish all his sources yet, which is not in accordance with the APSL but well :censored2:

Thanks !

Hi rek, yes, i have see you in the "other" forum. Anyway the the problem is:

Don't work nothing with last rc5 that i download yesterday in the evening. Not loaded anything, as if it not reading the correct pci root, but also with the insert of value 0 of pci root in com.apple don't work the same.

Don't load anithing, errors of acpi, broken speedstep, code for vga in dsdt don't loaded, minimum resolution, icon orange, yes graphics enabler broken like in rc4, seems like not reading the DSDT or something like. With the last boot of asere all works amazing. Hence i think that the problem isn' t the pciroot, infact don't work the same with 0 value (insert with you panel).

However I do not know why it does not work, sincerely. :angel:

Hi and thanks;)