Unsatisfied with OSx86?

90 posts in this topic

i know that mactelman. thats why i strip down windows for what i use and i have no crash problems. they are wicked fast and hey no spyware from windows! if ya didnt kno all windows xp are shipped with it on there and no spyware tool removes it. :)

altho since osx i havent touched windows, unless i want to use SwishMAX.

P.S.

- please spell my name right specially when you can see it.

Mac os x is the perfect mix between "just a user system" and a "geek system"

The only system i liked that mutch as osx was BeOS.

I hope in someday there will be a legal and 100% compatible way to install osx on normal pcs.

Just got a beach ball of death when I tried to trash some stuff. First, it's just the beachball in finder. Then it Infects Firefox, so firefox doesnt respond, then when attempting to force-quit firefox, the dock freezes in BBOD, then the system is unusable, and must be shut down.

I realize this is a hackintosh, but I've had similar things happen on macs.

It's annoying.

DiaboliK, I agree, I love mac because of how fast It starts up and I can go. I hate that Windows always has to load the tray and whatnot, and all the other little apps in the background. I could very well make a looooooong list of things I don't like in Windows.

I find all that startup {censored} particularly distasteful myself

Finding a good registry protector is on my agenda; but usually I just disable all startup {censored} in msconfig.

The "startup" stuff is an actual feature, I just think it fricking sucks.

Here's my take on being an experienced user on both platforms:

1) Windows is THE BEST OS atm, as most applications and games are built for it. Reaon? It has been around for a much longer time and more people have used it. Why? Because Bill Gates took the smart lane to licensing Windows and Steve Jobs was trapped in his self-egoistic world.

2) OS X is BETTER than Windows in basically everything. From security and architecture base (being built on UNIX) to how programs work, it wins handsdown. Think of it. No registry, no stupid folders, etc.

IDK, Windows is getting better and better to me as I use Vista now. I really never liked how programs worked on OS X myself, but that doesn't bother me too much. I like explorer much better than finder, and basically how everything related to the two works. And Windows is definitely better than any hackintosh, (Unless fully working), you're right, it's Job's own fault for not opening up to everyone. Can someone explain (show a pic), of what mouse tearing is?

Here's my take on being an experienced user on both platforms:

1) Windows is THE BEST OS atm, as most applications and games are built for it. Reaon? It has been around for a much longer time and more people have used it. Why? Because Bill Gates took the smart lane to licensing Windows and Steve Jobs was trapped in his self-egoistic world.

2) OS X is BETTER than Windows in basically everything. From security and architecture base (being built on UNIX) to how programs work, it wins handsdown. Think of it. No registry, no stupid folders, etc.

I agree. OSX is working smoothe for me now. Obviously windows security and archetecture are {censored}. I've realized that it never crashes - BUT it does stop responding often and since theres no protected memory the whole system fails. I meant this thread to be about the practical features OSX lacks, like a built in media player, good thumbnail browsing, easy keyboard shortcuts, etc. My OSX actually hit some USB drivers that XP failed to recognize when I removed the OEM version.

The real reason for this thread was my graphics card was f***ing up and my OSX had failed completely. OSX needs a better safe mode/recovery method because it is too easy to fail it (safe mode also) completely and have no GUI repair tool. XP will boot in {censored} display mode but rarely dies completely.

And I find that small percentage of apps for OSX to be better and more complete than windows.

BUT it does stop responding often and since theres no protected memory the whole system fails.

OS X has protected memory. OS 9 didn't, which is why an OS 9 app can crash the entire system. OS X by design can have hte Finder crash without any dire consequences for the system itself.

I meant this thread to be about the practical features OSX lacks, like a built in media player, good thumbnail browsing, easy keyboard shortcuts, etc.

1. QuickTime is a built in media player with its roots deep deep in the system. You might also want to look into QuickImage and QuickPlay.

2. Thumbnail browsing is built in also, but you have to enable it through the working of the view preferences. It's not the nicest way to do it, but it is a way.

3. OS X's keyboard shortcuts are universal shortcuts designed by Apple. Do a search in help for Human Interface Guidelines and you'll see the shortcuts nearly every application uses for the exact same functions.

The real reason for this thread was my graphics card was f***ing up and my OSX had failed completely. OSX needs a better safe mode/recovery method because it is too easy to fail it (safe mode also) completely and have no GUI repair tool. XP will boot in {censored} display mode but rarely dies completely.

And I find that small percentage of apps for OSX to be better and more complete than windows.

So your graphics card (not made by Apple) screws up the system and you're blaming Apple for it? Sounds more like you need to blame the manufacturer. Unless it's one of those cards where the hackintosh community came up with the drivers for it. I don't see how a graphics card problem is 100% Apple's fault.

OS X has protected memory. OS 9 didn't, which is why an OS 9 app can crash the entire system. OS X by design can have hte Finder crash without any dire consequences for the system itself.

1. QuickTime is a built in media player with its roots deep deep in the system. You might also want to look into QuickImage and QuickPlay.

2. Thumbnail browsing is built in also, but you have to enable it through the working of the view preferences. It's not the nicest way to do it, but it is a way.

3. OS X's keyboard shortcuts are universal shortcuts designed by Apple. Do a search in help for Human Interface Guidelines and you'll see the shortcuts nearly every application uses for the exact same functions.

So your graphics card (not made by Apple) screws up the system and you're blaming Apple for it? Sounds more like you need to blame the manufacturer. Unless it's one of those cards where the hackintosh community came up with the drivers for it. I don't see how a graphics card problem is 100% Apple's fault.

1) That was a PRO-OSX post. :hysterical:

2) That was XP that I said failed. :hysterical:

3) When did I mention anything about OS9? :blink:

4) I wasn't blaming apple in any way for my graphics card. :hysterical:

5) I know about the thumbnail option. Its not as good as in XP.

6) Quicktime is the worst media player I have ever seen. Ever. Roots in the system architecture? Even if thats true its a horrible media player. I tried to remove it from my XP box but it comes with iTunes.

I dont much care for quicktime either. I've always been annoyed by it's insistance on opening a new windows for every file, even if that file is being opened in the player itself. Also, I really like full-screen.

To all of you, who are unsatisfied with OSX

1) Download Pathfinder

it doesn't work logged as root no idea why tho , it's what finder should be

4) Windows from the kernel up is a very unstable OS, due to bad memory management, registry and no security.

I never saw win2k3 crash on me unless i overclocked too much or i was using some buggy beta videodriver

I agree. OSX is working smoothe for me now. Obviously windows security and archetecture are {censored}. I've realized that it never crashes - BUT it does stop responding often and since theres no protected memory the whole system fails.

huh no protected memory i see you must be stuck using win3.11

I also like being able to alt-tab to a window.

You can Apple-Tab to the application you want, then Apple ` to the specific window.

1) Windows ... has been around for a much longer time and more people have used it.

Apple's OS has been around longer than Windows. Windows 1.0 was based on Mac OS when Microsoft had prototypes of them in 1983 to build Mac software on. Apple paid Xerox (in stock) to spend 3 days learning from the Palo Alto project, then hired many of those programmers to write the Mac OS once Xerox scrapped the project. GUI versions of Microsoft Word and Excel were released in 1985 for Mac before Windows 1.0 was released.

Still, you are correct that more people use Windows, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

Also price of hardware, not a lack of licensing, is what killed Apple in the 90s. Steve Jobs (and his ego) were no longer with the company during it's downfall.

On my 855GME intel laptop :

- no 3D graphics driver

- no Wifi driver

- no CPU Freq utility

OSX86 is useless.

With Novell Suse linux 10.1 I have got all that. Even more as for example my french Hachette 2006 encyclopedia native installed!

post-12086-1150758398_thumb.jpg

Yeah, a version of quicktime that supports full screen and has the codecs for RM and wmv would be swell.

You want full screen support in QT.. that is available... it's called Quicktime Pro.

I figured I'd stop in since I've been busy lately... and decided I wanted to comment in this thread.

Different GUI's for different folks. I happen to find the OS X GUI perfect for my taste, others may not. It's a neverending battle there. Period.

I've had both crash... the iBook was crashing 2 days ago (turned out to be faulty RAM in the end, but whatever)... and my Windows based laptop crashes if I watch a Real video while downloading torrents at the same time. everytime. without fail.

No OS is bulletproof. No OS will ever be perfect. They will just work to be the best they can be for the intended audience. If the Mac GUI isn't to your liking, then you are most likely not the intended audience. and in reverse the same is true. But both are very customizable if you know what you are doing.

blah. in other words.. there is nothing to /flame here.

Yeah... I would have preferred a media player that came with the OS to have full-screen support. I know you can "buy" a "better" version of quicktime.

I am, for the most part, not disappointed with OS X. The UI isnt very friendly though, at least to my mind. I am just sorta defending windows especially from the sort of dogmatic attacks it receives. Mac OS X isnt utterly stable, and Windows doesnt BSOD every 2 seconds. Poorly written applications (especially Real Player, in my view) can wreak havoc on both systems.

Yeah... I would have preferred a media player that came with the OS to have full-screen support. I know you can "buy" a "better" version of quicktime.

Here. I wrote an app with AppleScript that will play movies full screen in Quicktime without Quicktime Pro. Just double click the app after you've started the movie and enjoy free fullscreen goodness.

qtfullscreen.zip

First, I'll take my alt-tab LIVE PREVIEWS in Vista over OS X any day. I also would prefer that the media player which comes with my OS does not have a nag screen, many PRO grayed out features on the menu, and limited functionality. Windows Media Player is a much better bundled app than Quicktime. Why should I have to pay $30 to fully experience the media player enclosed with my OS, especially since the binaries to do all of what I want are sitting right there on my disk, just waiting for a serial number. And pirating a serial IS NOT a valid arguement. For those of you constantly advocating Microsoft Office on the Mac, I hate to disappoint you all, but there is no friggin way it is better on the Mac than the PC. Microsoft would deliberately not do that. First of all, half the features are missing from Powerpoint, word and Excel, second, there are about 10 more great Office applications which aren't available for the mac, such as Microsoft Access, which kills Filemaker Pro. To me it is a lot easier to use the Windows interface productively than the Mac interface. I don't loose windows at all in Windows, and It's much more user friendly, the mouse tracking is also better. No offence, but Rogabean, if you crash while doing torrents and realplayer, you just must fudge something up. This excuse that Windows BSODs and crashes every 5 seconds is fanboyism that is wearing old, because my Vista install is more stable than my used to be OS X 86 install. Not to mention Windows is faster, and Adobe/Macromedia, have openly admitted this. I also don't like the Apple only options, Windows has more software out to choose from. As a PC user once always excited about Mac, (Liked them 5 good years before this project, could never afford one), I got to use it both on PowerPC (at the store), and osx86 at my house, and I was really disappointed. I was so glad to get Windows back, and I will never leave it again. I have been on both sides of this issue, and as a heavy PC user, I feel Windows is a better operating system.