[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Thanks. I use the USBBusFix=Yes parameter in my CABP with C2RC5, it seems to work.

Looking at your signature, I have noticed that you are using ApplePS2Controller.kext. Does it provide you with the ability to scroll? If so, how did you achieve that? Also, the edited AppleHDA.kext, would you share that as I would like to rid myself of the buggy VoodooHDA.kext and hopefully VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

@DarwinX

Got your PM but am posting here for the benefit of anyone else interested.

No I don't have the fancy scroll stuff working but I really don't miss it.

I got the patched AppleHDA from HERE

Theere are also links to how to do the patch if some adventurous soul want to patch the latest. You don't need to the enabler, just get rid of VoodooHDA in /S/L/E. Or if you don't have VoodooHDA, just backup then delete the AppleHDA in /S/L/E and use kexutil to install the patched one.

The only Voodoo kexts I have are VoodooBattery (which I'd like to get rid of), and VoodooSDHC which is really great. It isn't that eschew voodoo stuff, they good folks, it is that want as few kexts as possible. I started using the patch AppleHDA because it let the speakers work on the m1330 I have.

The only solution so far to needing to reboot after engaging sleep is the pmset command I mentioned at couple of post back.

@dlach

Thanks for the advice on sound. with AppleHDA I have speaker sound on 10.6.5 on m1300. headphone auto-switch works with center jack, not left.

My question regarding FakeSMC. who is using r405? with which plugins? I am running r405 with IntelMonitor and nvclockPort plugins. is this the way?

Does anyone use Slice's ACPIMonitor plugin, and if so, what edits did you make to DSDT to make it work?

My iStat shows HD, CPUA, CPUB, and GPU temps. However no fan speed or control, which is what I'd like to know if possible.

I am using unedited generic m1330 any CPU nvidiaGFX DSDT with Brett's mods available at topic start.

I've read many posts on FakeSMC on projectosx, but can not sift through so much. anyone using FakeSMC your help would be great.

Also, I now boot with CRC5r629 and GraphicsEnabler=yes in c.a.b.p.... is the nVidia GFX mod still needed in our DSDT? If not, simply remove Method(DTPG)?r

Is anyone here have the internal mic. working properly with voodoohda or a patched applehda?

Mine is working but its sensitivity is extremely low that it's actually useless to use.

I also have a problem with deep sleep not working, normal sleep is working fine, but whenever i put it in deep sleep, it creates the sleepimage file properly, shutdown but when i power it up i get the "Not enough space to restore the image" error msg.

Am on 10.6.5, modified DSDT and Chameleon2 RC5 trunk r635 on a Dell Vostro 1400 in my sig.

Thanks in advance.

Trying to get FAN or FANS recognized on m1330.

I am trying to use the FakeSMCACPIMonitor plugin to do this, but I am having trouble with DSDT edits and perhaps entering SMC keys into info.plists.

Currently SMC_util2 reads:

#KEY  [ui32]  28 (bytes 00 00 00 1c)
  CIST  [ui32]  84 (bytes 49 42 53 54)
  OSK0  [ch8*]  (bytes 6f 75 72 68 61 72 64 77 6f 72 6b 62 79 74 68 65 73 65 77 6f 72 64 73 67 75 61 72 64 65 64 70 6c)
  $Num  [ui8 ]  (bytes 01)
  NVPR  [ch8*]  (bytes 00 00 00 00 00 00)
  BALG  [ch8*]  (bytes 00 00 00 00 00 00)
  LSSB  [ui16]  1 (bytes 01 01)
  LSOF  [ui8 ]  (bytes 01)
  REV   [ch8*]  (bytes 01 30 0f 00 00 03)
  MOST  [ch8*]  (bytes 00 00 00 00 00 00)
  ACID  [ch8*]  (bytes 44 41 42 43 45 46)
  MSDS  [ch8*]  (bytes 00 00 00 00 00 00)
  NATJ  [ui8 ]  (bytes 00)
  MSSP  [ui8 ]  (bytes 00)
  OSK1  [ch8*]  (bytes 65 61 73 65 64 6f 6e 74 73 74 65 61 6c 28 63 29 41 70 70 6c 65 43 6f 6d 70 75 74 65 72 49 6e 63)
  NATi  [ui16]  0 (bytes 00 00)
  CLKT  [ui32]  186 (bytes 00 00 98 ba)
  CLKH  [ch8*]  (bytes 00 00 70 80 00 01 19 40)
  FRC0  [freq]  (bytes 03 20)
  TC0D  [sp78]  (bytes 2e 00)
  VC0C  [fp2e]  (bytes 3b 6b)
  FRC1  [freq]  (bytes 03 20)
  TC1D  [sp78]  (bytes 2c 00)
  VC1C  [fp2e]  (bytes 3b 6b)
  TG0D  [sp78]  (bytes 40 00)
  FGC0  [freq]  (bytes 00 b6)
  MSDW  [ui8 ]  (bytes 01)
  NTOK  [ui8 ]  (bytes 01)

TC0D and TC1D appear to be Core Temps. TG0D seems to be GPU Temp. I get these temps currently without ACPIMonitor and no DSDT edits.

The rest of the keys I cannot figure out, and I'm not sure any are fans as the utility reports 0 fans.

I am guessing there are methods to append, perhaps in _TZ. Perhaps GINF needs edit:

Scope (_TZ)
 {
	 ThermalZone (THM)
	 {
		 Method (_CRT, 0, NotSerialized)
		 {
			 Store (GINF (0x12), Local0)
			 Return (Local0)
		 }

Method (_TMP, 0, NotSerialized)
		 {
			 Store (GINF (0x04), Local0)
			 Return (Local0)
		 }

Method (GINF, 1, NotSerialized)
		 {
			 SX10 ()
			 SX30 (Arg0)
			 SX11 ()
			 Store (SX41 (), Local0)
			 SX12 ()
			 If (LLess (Local0, 0x0BA6))
			 {
				 Store (0x0BA6, Local0)
			 }

Return (Local0)
		 }
	 }
 }

Does anyone have fan monitoring working this way with thermalzone?

@dlach

Thanks for the advice on sound. with AppleHDA I have speaker sound on 10.6.5 on m1300. headphone auto-switch works with center jack, not left.

My question regarding FakeSMC. who is using r405? with which plugins? I am running r405 with IntelMonitor and nvclockPort plugins. is this the way?

Does anyone use Slice's ACPIMonitor plugin, and if so, what edits did you make to DSDT to make it work?

My iStat shows HD, CPUA, CPUB, and GPU temps. However no fan speed or control, which is what I'd like to know if possible.

I am using unedited generic m1330 any CPU nvidiaGFX DSDT with Brett's mods available at topic start.

I've read many posts on FakeSMC on projectosx, but can not sift through so much. anyone using FakeSMC your help would be great.

Also, I now boot with CRC5r629 and GraphicsEnabler=yes in c.a.b.p.... is the nVidia GFX mod still needed in our DSDT? If not, simply remove Method(DTPG)?r

I´m using FakeSMC r405 for SL also with IntelMonitor, NVClockPort, ACPIMonitor and SuperIO in the Plugins Folder of FakeSMC. IStatPro shows all of your desired values like fan speed etc. Make sure you put the FakeSMC.kext into the S/L/E folder and delete any other fakesmc.kext (i.e in E/E)! I´m also using Brett´s generic DSDT!

As far as I know, you don´t need the GraphicsEnabler in c.a.b.p because it´s implemented in the DSDT! You can try to delete it and see what happens (Well, I got a spare installation on my extern USB Drive for testing stuff like this before I take things over)

I´m still having issues with overheating, similar to Claudio and overshoot (guys in this thread). I´ve tried almost everything. I´ve followed OsXF33k´s instructions etc. but still no luck. Otherwise almost everything´s working.

I hope someone can help out! Thank you in advance!

@DarwinX: Thank you! Grabbed a lot of your stuff and advices!

@melvis

I don't use SuperIO because it doesn't work for me. It detects unknown ande unsupported ITE chip. Therefore I don't use that plugin, and I believe for ACPIMonitor to function I need to edit DSDT to add device. also does SuperIO work for anyone on m1330? or have done the DSDT edit for TZ?

I apologize for the belated response, it was caused by the failure of my main OS X installation. Somehow, the file system was corrupted and had to completely reinstalled. Worse yet, I have lost quite a bit of important documents but was still able to recover most of my media, passwords, bookmarks etc. files from the otherwise useless Windows 7 out of all things!

The AppleHDA.kext you shared, while limited in functionality, is perfectly stable and quite operational. Thank You.

@DarwinX

Got your PM but am posting here for the benefit of anyone else interested.

No I don't have the fancy scroll stuff working but I really don't miss it.

I got the patched AppleHDA from HERE

Theere are also links to how to do the patch if some adventurous soul want to patch the latest. You don't need to the enabler, just get rid of VoodooHDA in /S/L/E. Or if you don't have VoodooHDA, just backup then delete the AppleHDA in /S/L/E and use kexutil to install the patched one.

The only Voodoo kexts I have are VoodooBattery (which I'd like to get rid of), and VoodooSDHC which is really great. It isn't that eschew voodoo stuff, they good folks, it is that want as few kexts as possible. I started using the patch AppleHDA because it let the speakers work on the m1330 I have.

The only solution so far to needing to reboot after engaging sleep is the pmset command I mentioned at couple of post back.

I am using the same, but with the edited FakeSMCIntelMonitor.kext info.plist I set the TJMax=85 which is 20 degrees lower than the default 0 which automatically sets it at 105. Also, the FakeSMC.kext itself has one info.plist edit to display the correct SMC Version (system): 1.39f11 (01390F000011)

<key>REV </key>

<data>

ATkPAAAR

</data>

@dlach

You are welcome. The GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag is NOT needed for OUR rigs with Brett Whinnen's DSDT.aml

As far as overheating, do try the TJMax modification of the plugin FakeSMCIntelMonitor.kext info.plist that I have referenced above.

I´m using FakeSMC r405 for SL also with IntelMonitor, NVClockPort, ACPIMonitor and SuperIO in the Plugins Folder of FakeSMC. IStatPro shows all of your desired values like fan speed etc. Make sure you put the FakeSMC.kext into the S/L/E folder and delete any other fakesmc.kext (i.e in E/E)! I´m also using Brett´s generic DSDT!

As far as I know, you don´t need the GraphicsEnabler in c.a.b.p because it´s implemented in the DSDT! You can try to delete it and see what happens (Well, I got a spare installation on my extern USB Drive for testing stuff like this before I take things over)

I´m still having issues with overheating, similar to Claudio and overshoot (guys in this thread). I´ve tried almost everything. I´ve followed OsXF33k´s instructions etc. but still no luck. Otherwise almost everything´s working.

I hope someone can help out! Thank you in advance!

@DarwinX: Thank you! Grabbed a lot of your stuff and advices!

@darwinX

Thanks for the help. I was curious about TJMax, kernel.log shows 105. I think 85 is correct for you, maybe me and my T8300 as well. I used to have a sheet with CPUs and TJMax however no longer. Can you confirm 85 is setting for T8300?

Looking for a little bit of help after upgrading to 10.6.5. I was running fine on 10.6.4 and after an apparently successful upgrade to 10.6.5 I have only been able to boot via the Chameleon boot disk. Attached is an image of the errors I receive during boot in verbose mode and the boot fails with at frozen gray boot screen. My setup is a m1530 T7250 with 8600M GT Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 via unofficial installer with a custom DSDT (Brett's DSDT has failed as well.) Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

post-28829-1290580615_thumb.jpg

This appears to be a regular AICPM kernel panic. Perhaps the AICPM kext was missing from your system but then reinstalled by the update. Use any AICPM disabler kext to bypass this issue. Installing such a kext might be tricky without a running backup OS X partition.

Looking for a little bit of help after upgrading to 10.6.5. I was running fine on 10.6.4 and after an apparently successful upgrade to 10.6.5 I have only been able to boot via the Chameleon boot disk. Attached is an image of the errors I receive during boot in verbose mode and the boot fails with at frozen gray boot screen. My setup is a m1530 T7250 with 8600M GT Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 via unofficial installer with a custom DSDT (Brett's DSDT has failed as well.) Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

post-28829-1290580615_thumb.jpg

It looks to me that for whatever reason the DSDT is not being found (without the HPET patch, you get that missing HPET error). Permissions problem? The DSDT should be installed in /Extra/DSDT.aml (case sensitive). You don't have an extra OS-X partition on the same computer do you? If so, try putting the DSDT.aml in the Extra folder on that partition. Use Brett's as it's known to work. If you can boot with the boot disk, try running Kext Utility. You can also try using the DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml (or wherever).

Immo

immo and DarwinX,

Your fast and informative replies are greatly appreciated! For some reason, I was indeed having permission issues and the DSDT was not being read. I'm still having issues with my custom DSDT but after correcting the permissions I am able to boot properly with Brett's DSDT on Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643. I have removed AppleHDA.kext and have sound once again with VoodooHDA.kext in /S/L/E. For some reason I have never been able to get FakeSMC.kext to work properly in either /E or /S/L/E. My Extra folder contains (I'm not sure if they are all necessary):

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

In the next few days I'll try and get my custom DSDT working again as the system runs hotter now and I've lost HDMI video that was previously achieved in 10.6.4 by following hotcorez guide. Thanks again for your contributions in regard to my issues and the community at large!

Greetings,

Happy thanksgiving. I am quite thankful for insanelymac and all of your help.

Which MacModel do m1330 users set in smbios.plist?

I have MacBookPro4,1 set, and temperatures are good most times. I had terrible heat issues setting model to MBP5,1 so reverted to MBP4,1 and temps are good, but trying to achieve error-free kernel.log.

Some issues I'm not sure about:

Nov 25 10:48:06 nombres-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: WARNING - ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - no sub-config match for MacBookPro4,1 with 10 p-states, using default stepper instead

Dous this mean SpeedStep is not working?

I´d like to thank you for your help! I´ve sent my laptop to Dell and they´ve replaced the fan and heatsink. It seems to be fine now. I´m using it just about 4 hours but temperatures are below 35 Celsius/Fan Speed 970 RPM (even under load) which were never that low before. Thanks!

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

The above kexts aren't necessary as the Restart function as well as the UUID injection is handled by the C2RC5 via proper CABP options and likely the DSDT.aml.

immo and DarwinX,

Your fast and informative replies are greatly appreciated! For some reason, I was indeed having permission issues and the DSDT was not being read. I'm still having issues with my custom DSDT but after correcting the permissions I am able to boot properly with Brett's DSDT on Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643. I have removed AppleHDA.kext and have sound once again with VoodooHDA.kext in /S/L/E. For some reason I have never been able to get FakeSMC.kext to work properly in either /E or /S/L/E. My Extra folder contains (I'm not sure if they are all necessary):

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

In the next few days I'll try and get my custom DSDT working again as the system runs hotter now and I've lost HDMI video that was previously achieved in 10.6.4 by following hotcorez guide. Thanks again for your contributions in regard to my issues and the community at large!

Was it replaced under your original Dell warranty or the NVidia GPU conditional warranty which was provided as a measure of partly compensating for the flawed lemon that is the NVidia 8600M GPU?

I´d like to thank you for your help! I´ve sent my laptop to Dell and they´ve replaced the fan and heatsink. It seems to be fine now. I´m using it just about 4 hours but temperatures are below 35 Celsius/Fan Speed 970 RPM (even under load) which were never that low before. Thanks!

Was it replaced under your original Dell warranty or the NVidia GPU conditional warranty which was provided as a measure of partly compensating for the flawed lemon that is the NVidia 8600M GPU?

It was replaced under original Dell warranty which I have till January 2011. I also thought that it would be replaced on behalf of the extended Nvidia Gpu warranty but this was not the case.

Another thing I´ve noticed: I´m monitoring my temperatures with FakeSmc and iStatPro. With the applied hack for TJmax (=85) iStatPro shows me temperatures around 30-32 Celsius whereas CoolBook and VoodooMonitor show me temperatures around 40-45 Celsius. iStatPro also shows temperatures around 40-45 Celsius when I reset TJmax to 0.

Thank you and best regards!

It was replaced under original Dell warranty which I have till January 2011. I also thought that it would be replaced on behalf of the extended Nvidia Gpu warranty but this was not the case.

Another thing I´ve noticed: I´m monitoring my temperatures with FakeSmc and iStatPro. With the applied hack for TJmax (=85) iStatPro shows me temperatures around 30-32 Celsius whereas CoolBook and VoodooMonitor show me temperatures around 40-45 Celsius. iStatPro also shows temperatures around 40-45 Celsius when I reset TJmax to 0.

Thank you and best regards!

The NVidia replacement kicks in after expiration of the original warranty which I assumed had expired since we both have nearly identical models and I bought mine around the May of 2008 with 2 years or Dell's warranty. Dell has since replaced my motherboard 4(!) times, basically anytime I felt as though it needed to be replaced.

The TJMax=85 override lowers the temp by 20 C from the original default of 105 C (TJMax=0), at least it does so visibly. So, your actual temperatures are probably still in the upper forties to lower fifties under normal load which is as good as it has ever gotten for me. The iStat 3.1 on average shows my fan at 970 RPM (after cleaning), voltage around 1.04 and the heatsink around 43 C which is normally just a couple of degrees cooler than the CPU core itself.

False alarm, I posted too soon. It worked once then stopped working again. This is really annoying, I may revert to 10.6.4!

Anybody know how to monitor fan speed on the XPS M1530? I have nVidia and Intel temperatures but not fan speed.

That´s how it works for me! Posted on page 28 :D .

• 4 weeks later...