[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

MAJ,

Got the same output from grep.

Further investigation (set -x) points to the script steps containing sed on lines 175 - 179. It looks like the first time one of the lines containing sed is executed, the grep message is triggered. Only the first execution of one of the mentioned lines gives the message. So only one message is shown while executing the cluster of lines. Commenting lines out and replacing them with "static" string assignments points to this.

The message also pops up on my freshly installed 10.8 DP4 (GA-X58A-UD5).

Does sed use grep internally for finding regular expressions?

- fact

@dixit

Had no idea PCEFI 10.6 still works!

This sounds like a DSDT issue. Are you including a DSDT.aml file in your Extra folder?

Just out of curiosity, you're not using a RAID setup, are you? Because this also sounds like what happens when you boot a RAID without a combo cache.

Have you've you tried using a combo cache for your setup, just to see if it improves anything?

MAJ

No RAID setup, just a standard setup. Whats been bugging me is how this same setup on SnowLeopard works fine. And thats HDD has the latest Chameleon 2.1 r1943 your Hackinstaller installed. So I dont think its the bootloaders since clearly it works on SnowLeopard but not on Lion for some odd reason.

I tried to redo the DSDT using your 7.1, still no go. Tried latest v1.10 r1394 Chimera, still same issue. So told it to use the DSDT from my SnowLeopard install, same thing (keeps sitting at Waiting for DSMOS...). But if I put DSDT=no, it errors saying CPU configuration incorrect and basically kernel panics.

Also tried the Combo Cache and that didnt help either. Not sure why this cant seem to get past a DSMOS issue. In case I didnt mention it I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P with an i7 920 and 6gb DDR 1600mhz RAM (3 slots only) and an XFX HD 6870 video card, so nothing out of the ordinary there.

Dixit

dixit,

How are you getting graphics enabled in SL with your 6870 GPU?

Here's my guess: There isn't any built-in support for the 6870 in SL, but some very incomplete support exists for newer AMD cards in Lion. Due to this, your graphics support fails in Lion, whereas in SL, it just runs in "generic" mode. That's a very simplistic way of putting it.

The reason the older PCEFI bootloader works is because it doesn't attempt to enable graphics for the non-existent (at the time) 6xxx series cards.

Have you tried disabling the graphics enabler for the bootloader? GraphicsEnabler=No or delete entire key.

MAJ

MAJ,

Got the same output from grep.

Further investigation (set -x) points to the script steps containing sed on lines 175 - 179. It looks like the first time one of the lines containing sed is executed, the grep message is triggered. Only the first execution of one of the mentioned lines gives the message. So only one message is shown while executing the cluster of lines. Commenting lines out and replacing them with "static" string assignments points to this.

The message also pops up on my freshly installed 10.8 DP4 (GA-X58A-UD5).

Bummer.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm still curious what version it is:

grep --version

Does the man page show that -B option?

man grep

-B NUM, --before-context=NUM

Print NUM lines of leading context before matching lines.

Places a line containing -- between contiguous groups of

matches.

At any rate I've changed the grep to a sed equivalent for a coming release.

Does sed use grep internally for finding regular expressions?

Don't believe so. SED is not really related to BASH in any way. It's a separate Unix utility that can have info piped to BASH or from BASH.

MAJ

Great job digital-dreamer with this script i got my first ML DP4 easily up. (separate SATA disk install)

Had to use ATI rom injection method until Lion, know i use the QE_CI Exotic patch Mountain Lion DP4 Update 12A248 patch for my ATI 4850 card.

Used Cham(Enoch-rev.2000) boot loader so !

Thank you so much

:D

Works splendid also on Mountain Lion GM

:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by @ROBASEFR

• 3 weeks later...

What's up guys? Haven't checked in for some time and decided to let you guys know that Mountain Lion GM is working fine on the GA-EX58-UD5, but you probably know that!

Anyway, Maj, I know it's been a while but I have some time off if you need any scripting help. I've actually been trying to fix some little issues with the UD5, particularly the default system audio device which is set incorrectly for every new user. You know your board is running good when you spend days trying to fix a problem that literally takes 2 seconds to solve manually. But hey, you learn a lot that way!

I don't know what Maj will do about upgrading, but I hear these amazing new Gigabyte boards with UEFI are easy hacks! I'm trying to convince my nephew who just bought a Z77 board to hack it, but he's stuck on windows for some reason.

I've had my GA-EX58-UD5 and i7 920 since the beginning with Maj and have enjoyed it completely. I've definitely got my money's worth from this setup, but I don't yet feel that it's completely outdated. The F13 bios with quick boot along with kernel cache and kext cache make the boot times fast and native power management work fine with little modification.

Other than some audio issues I had lately (which were because of unnecessary AppleHDA and DSDT changes, this board and cpu are here to stay for me. Maybe a nice new case is in order just to make it look newer!

I have (2) GA-EX58-UD5 and i7 920, but I would consider upgrading to this new Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard.

I am hoping that Maj tries this Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH next, because of the rumour is that J River Media Center 17 is going to be ported to Mac OS X. http://yabb.jriver.c...p?topic=72833.0 This is a poll, so they need more people to vote for porting J River to Mac OS X. J river has the ability to play SACD and bluray format now. I think it will happen because of the Thunderbolt devices that showed up at a show in May. http://www.lynxstudi...detail.asp?i=61, Areca has some new drives, and thunderbolt driver for their raid cards. http://www.areca.com.../n0605_0112.htm.

Anyway, this a great script. Just have an issue with my current sound card. HT Omega Claro plus doesn't seem to work. So, perhaps I should upgrade in the future to a new motherboard for my HTPC server.

digital_dreamer,

first of all I want to thank you for this easy to use install script. :thumbsup_anim:

I managed to successfully install Mountain Lion GM on a fresh partition (only took 20 minutes).

I would like kindly to ask for your help & assitance for this kermel panic I got after I installed the Chameleon boot loader, DSDT, and the kexts via the hackinstaller script after the ML installation:

p6cln.jpg

These are the kexts in /Extra/Extensions:

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • JMicron36xeSATA.kext
  • ALC885_889a.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext
  • HDAEnabler.kext
  • IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • AppleRTC.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Would like to mention that I can boot without the above KP only in safe mode. Also, I would like to excuse me for the bad KP photo done with my iPhone...

Please tell me which kexts I can completely remove or move to S/L/E in order to solve the KP? :) My hardware specs are in my signature.

Thank you in advance for you time & help with the above :)

digital_dreamer,

first of all I want to thank you for this easy to use install script. :thumbsup_anim:

I managed to successfully install Mountain Lion GM on a fresh partition (only took 20 minutes).

I would like kindly to ask for your help & assitance for this kermel panic I got after I installed the Chameleon boot loader, DSDT, and the kexts via the hackinstaller script after the ML installation:

These are the kexts in /Extra/Extensions:

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • JMicron36xeSATA.kext
  • ALC885_889a.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext
  • HDAEnabler.kext
  • IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • AppleRTC.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Would like to mention that I can boot without the above KP only in safe mode. Also, I would like to excuse me for the bad KP photo done with my iPhone...

Please tell me which kexts I can completely remove or move to S/L/E in order to solve the KP? :) My hardware specs are in my signature.

You're problem is:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient

And the possible solution is: http://www.insanelym...8

Hey Maj,

I was working through your script and converting the code to something usable in Xcode when I came across an issue with the bootloader script. The script will download the newest sources but would fail the compile (make specifically). I attempted to manually compile via terminal and then in Xcode. Nothing worked. The error I am getting is..

gnumake[2]: md: No such file or directory

It seems like some things have changed in ML or Xcode 4.5... My Lion system compiles fine, but maybe the beta Xcode or Command Line Tools are missing something.

You may have to add a version check to prevent users from thinking their system is the issue. A quick way to add that with bash is through the defaults read command. Either that or try to detect the missing binary file "md" where ever that may be located...

"defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist ProductVersion"

-

Update: the unix executable is missing in ML 10.8 Xcode 4.5 Beta. The executable can (possibly) be packaged in the script, or at least checked for in before compiling sources. The binary should be located in /usr/bin/

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqb7t0s39dhuj0y/md.zip

Edited by wolfienuke

Update: the unix executable is missing in ML 10.8 Xcode 4.5 Beta. The executable can (possibly) be packaged in the script, or at least checked for in before compiling sources. The binary should be located in /usr/bin/

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox....39dhuj0y/md.zip

can this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2693336/how-to-update-xcode-to-install-unix-development-support helps you :-)

Thanks, but those are now called command line tools and are no longer packaged with Xcode 4.5, and yes they are installed. I think there is an update, so I'm checking on that. Obviously it is still in beta, so the caution still stands for Mountain Lion users. Just have a Lion install to fall back on if you compile your own sources.

Update: md is definitely not packaged with command line tools:

fxtit5.jpg

Maj, do you have any inklings of wanting to upgrade your setup to Ivy Bridge? What's your upgrade schedule.. going to hang tuff with your 920?

Would love to upgrade. The UEFI and, even, onboard Thunderbolt are great reasons to upgrade. But, due to limited funds and practicality, I don't see myself upgrading for quite a while. The 4-core 920 is still putting out respectable performance figures. If ever there would be a 4-core that doubles our current performance, I'd upgrade. Having 6, 8, or 12 cores, and beyond, don't mean much to me if single-threaded performance is the same. However, the way Intel has got the Turbo-boost working on the latest chips does make a difference.

Hi, i would like to report that your ALC889 AppleHDA.kext only works with chameleon and not chimera under mountain lion GM

anyway to fix this ?

Haven't tested for this. Seems odd, however. Have you looked at the tonymacx86.com forums for answers?

...Snip...

Welcome, again, friend. :D

...Snip...

rednous,

Did you get this problem resolved?

...SNIP...

gnumake[2]: md: No such file or directory

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox....39dhuj0y/md.zip

Ooo. Thanks for bring that to my attention. Haven't attempted any compiling in ML.

Man, there's always something. -_-

I have a newer version with updates and lots of bug fixes, but it's still unfinished. :o

I have Mountain Lion Installed with DD script, is there any point installing Mountain lion MAS version that came up today ? It's the same build isn't it ?

Updates are gonna locked in GM or something like that ?

It's been confirmed that the ML MAS is the same as the GM. Same build 12A269.

Some were saying that updates are disabled for GM, but given that it has the same md5sum, it should be perfectly identical.

I'm not going to use ML for daily work until Apple updates the ATI/AMD drivers.

Oddly, my new AMD 6970 works in Lion (acceleration) with patches. But, no such luck in ML. Have to disable the ATI6000controller.kext just to get in.

best regards,

MAJ

I just upgraded to 10.7.4 Everything works except my dual monitors. I seem to have had this issue when first installing Lion, but can't recall the fix.

I want to upgrade to Mt Lion. Can I upgrade my current Lion install so I don't have to deal with starting over with a new clean OS? Or do I need to install a clean version using the script for it all to work properly?

Taylorutah: Install-over has worked well for me - have done it several times. Just finished a 10.8 install over 10.6.8. I would caution to make a clone of your present install to another partion before attempting the new install - Murphy has a bad habit of appearing at the most inopportune time!

With the occasional exception of videocards, things that work in Lion, work in MountainLion (assuming one is using 64bit Lion).

Installing on a G73JH Laptop that has a working stable 10.7.3 build. (10.7.4 works except for wifi, can't get it working).

This is a non-raid, single drive config.

I'm stuck trying to get ML 10.8 working.

in 10.7.3 I had to use your “kext_10.7” -> Misc_Patches -> repository -> PCI_configuration_begin_hang_fix to get past the "PCI Configuration Begin".

In your 10.8 folder there isn't one... so I tried the 10.7.3, and it did get me past the "PCI Configuration Begin" but now I"m getting a Kernel Panic.

Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/snu-2050.7.9/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1546

Do you have anyideas where to start? (googling didn't find anything useful)

I used the latest hack tool you had posted (as of yesterday) to create a usb ML jump drive.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm having trouble with sleep on my system, and after hours of searching the forums I can't figure it out. Any help would be great!

Just installed ML 10.8 on my Gigabyte EX58-UD4P. I am using the exact kexts that come with this script (AppleRtc, FakeSMC, NullCpuPower, etc.). Most people say sleep should just work, but in my case the displays turn off but the fans keep running. I have to reboot the computer every time. I had this same issue with Lion, and have stuck to Snow Leopard until now.

Anyone have it working on a similar board? Any tips on what to try next? Bios settings I'm missing maybe?

Thanks for the help, and this wonderful script. I've used it since 10.5!

The Nullcpupower kext is preventing sleep. Assuming you patched the DSDT, you don't need that kext for operation. AppleRTC, FakesSMC, audio, ethernet and AHCIBlock... kexts are all that's needed. I have 10.8 on two EX58A-UD3R boards with just those kexts and sleep works as advertised.

Rerun the kext installer without Null.... and see if sleep will work for you.

Hey Guys its been a while, made the bump to ML and everything is working great except for sleep. I've got a DSDT thats edited for sleep without sleepenabler, and I've tried both the latest AppleRTC and a patched version from 10.6.3 which was supposed to work, but havent had any luck. Has anyone else had sleep issues after making the move to ML? I tried searching the post install but doesn't seem to have anything thats helped me thus far, thought I might ask those who have similar boards and setups.

Great script DD, I cant believe how inclusive it is, thank you for all your hard work.

Jeff

Hi Maj,

Epic script mate. Clean ML RAID install with everything appearing to work very well.. Although Apple need to bring back 'Double click to minimise'!!

Can somebody please shine some light on the RAID Extra update process in ML? If I select 6) View RAID member partitions I get to see the first RAID member partition. Hackinstaller says to use this for drag and drop.

It seems like I can update this (edit boot.plist, tweak DSDT etc) like I used to update my old Extra folder on a non-RAID install? However, I need to know If I do make changes do I then have to repeat the process on the other member partition or does this script take care of this? Does it even need to?

Any pointers on RAID maintenance appreciated - I'm in new territory here so need to get up to speed.

cheers

k/