[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

I don't understand your problem at all...

is your French better than English, or just write it in italian maybe I'll understand better...

Allora,scrivo in italiano.

Ho detto che Snow leopard impiega circa 19 secondi per entrare nella schermata del finder,da quando fa il boot di pcefi,mentre con leopard impiegava di meno...circa 5 secondi...come mai???

@D00m42...esattamente..hai capito bene il mio inglese.

Grazie

Allora,scrivo in italiano.

Ho detto che Snow leopard impiega circa 19 secondi per entrare nella schermata del finder,da quando fa il boot di pcefi,mentre con leopard impiegava di meno...circa 5 secondi...come mai???

@D00m42...esattamente..hai capito bene il mio inglese.

Grazie

I understood your Italian much better (thanks to my french and bad spanish ) , however I won't be able to write back in Italian ;)

at least D00m understands your english better than I ;)

anyway, the pcefi you use, is it the one from D00m's pack ?

you can try the last one from netkas, maybe it will be faster :

http://netkas.org/?p=271

or direct link to the netkas boot file:

http://rapidshare.de/files/48556645/boot_v10.5.zip.html

you need to unhide your invisible files (use tinkertool for example, or look for the command line)

drag the "boot" file at the root of the Hard drive

then hide your invisible file again

Also if you update the bios to the latest version that will make the boot process before OSX starts a little faster by a few seconds

hope that helps

I understood your Italian much better (thanks to my french and bad spanish ) , however I won't be able to write back in Italian :wacko:

at least D00m understands your english better than I :D

you need to unhide your invisible files (use tinkertool for example, or look for the command line)

Also if you update the bios to the latest version that will make the boot process before OSX starts a little faster by a few seconds

hope that helps

I understood the Italian enough to get roughly what he said and I don't speak it (Latin rules :D).

Yeah I actually have to update my own BIOS (I'm still on F9 and I believe the latest EP45-UD3R rev1.1 is F11). I believe the major speed increase lies in faster AHCI detection (which is painfully slow on F9). I have actually had so much work lately, I haven't even been on my OS X partition in over a month : (. It's still on 10.6.1!

Midterms are next week, and then the week after that I have to finish other college applications. Hopefully though, after the next two weeks are over, I can resume my active participation here.

tonight I'll make a easier one to deal with , with installer so that you don't have to deal with anything at all

If you create an installer script to apply the Bonjour fix, I'll definitely include it in my pack (with your permission of course!)

If you create an installer script to apply the Bonjour fix, I'll definitely include it in my pack (with your permission of course!)

of course you can

I'm almost done I just need to test it (only possible problem is to get "sudo" privilege correctly), but not now ... it's late

I'll even make a full one click uninstaller for it...

of course you can

I'm almost done I just need to test it (only possible problem is to get "sudo" privilege correctly), but not now ... it's late

Are you making this installer as a script file that runs commands, or are you creating an actual "installer" pkg file? Do you know how to create pkg files? If I can learn maybe we can make an "easy installer" that creates the correct file/folder tree in the user-chosen directory, and copies all of th kexts to the correct folders and fixes permissions. This would be really ideal for anyone with an EP45-UD3L/R/P. People with other boards could always replace one or two kexts/other files to suit their own needs, but otherwise it would simplify the process greatly for the newbs.

of course you can

What DSDT are you using in your installer? Is it a generic one, or do you have a DSDT created per machine?

I'm attaching the one I'm using at the moment, which should work for every UD3R out there, with LAN and HDEF enabled, stripped down to about 900 lines (Thanks to mm67). It does have Device (EC) and Device (SBUS) so it'll need the extra kexts as well, but it'll give you gpu-throttling.

I've also included the updated FakeSMC 2.5, with support for the istat temps.

The DSL has my machine working 100%, except for headphone jack autodetection. How does that work for you?

working:

sleep

wakeup

appleLPC

cpu throttling

usb devices

eh, well everything. :hysterical:

note: gfx isn't included, use EFI string

Cheers!

10_dec_09_DSDT_UD3R.zip

10_dec_09_Extensions_UD3R_EC_SBUS.zip

XOPHER I think there was a misunderstanding, all I did was an installer for bonjour only

I know it is easy stuff, but since I pretty much don't know applescript it took me some time just to even figure out file transfer, especially how to get the path to the resource folder within the app, so that the installer can be anywhere on the computer. since some of us uses EFI, the bonjour stuff had to be elsewhere, I decided that Application/Utilities was a good place for that...

Are you making this installer as a script file that runs commands, or are you creating an actual "installer" pkg file? Do you know how to create pkg files? If I can learn maybe we can make an "easy installer" that creates the correct file/folder tree in the user-chosen directory, and copies all of th kexts to the correct folders and fixes permissions. This would be really ideal for anyone with an EP45-UD3L/R/P. People with other boards could always replace one or two kexts/other files to suit their own needs, but otherwise it would simplify the process greatly for the newbs.

I'm using a script saved as an application

so on the outside it looks like an app, but if you browse the content you'll find the apple script...

I've never tried making pkg

here it is

one same app to install and uninstall

Install_Uninstall_Bonjour_made_by_Eliade.zip

Im a little confused as to how to fix bonjour!..I tried following the guide but its a little unclear...PLEASE HELP!

just run this, and reboot

if you messed with loginhook already

then install , then uninstall and finally reinstall it and everything will be clean regarding loginhook

Install_Uninstall_Bonjour_made_by_Eliade.zip

I understood your Italian much better (thanks to my french and bad spanish ) , however I won't be able to write back in Italian :D

at least D00m understands your english better than I :(

hope that helps

Grazie per la risposta,sei molto gentile..ma io non uso PciEfi 10.5,ma uso chamaleon rc2...tu dici che miglioro?

Per il bios f11..è già aggiornato,ma quello serve solo per il boot dell'ahci(che è migliorato assolutamente)...adesso provo a vedere i file nascosti.

Grazie

:D

Comunque in rete già cè un pacchetto di istallazione per la Gigabyte...io ho seguito questa procedura

Leggere qui

Grazie per la risposta,sei molto gentile..ma io non uso PciEfi 10.5,ma uso chamaleon rc2...tu dici che miglioro?

Per il bios f11..è già aggiornato,ma quello serve solo per il boot dell'ahci(che è migliorato assolutamente)...adesso provo a vedere i file nascosti.

Grazie

;)

Comunque in rete già cè un pacchetto di istallazione per la Gigabyte...io ho seguito questa procedura

Leggere qui

Well I'm not saying that PC EFI is better, but because I created this version of the guide a while ago now, things have changed. At the time, you would have had to manually patch stuff. Because I knew that less manual work was better, I just included the PC EFI instead of Chameleon RC2 (there's RC3 now though I think).

My new pack will include the latest Chameleon.

How are you supposed to do a fresh install of SL like it talks about in nullspots guide? I don't understand if you don't have to have 10.5 installed then how are you going to install Chameleon on the hard drive. Can I edit the DSDT files on Windows? The graphics on my screen keep tearing when I scroll I think because my GTX 260 isn't supported so its very hard to copy sections of the text out of code.txt

Well I'm not saying that PC EFI is better, but because I created this version of the guide a while ago now, things have changed. At the time, you would have had to manually patch stuff. Because I knew that less manual work was better, I just included the PC EFI instead of Chameleon RC2 (there's RC3 now though I think).

My new pack will include the latest Chameleon.

Grazie d00m42...tu hai fatto un lavoro eccezionale..ti ho seguito da tempo...se farai anche tu un pacchetto di istallazione..te ne saremo grati tutti...ho provato il chamaleon rc3...ma dà problemi...e non capisco il motivo di tale problema...se sei cosi gentile da verificare,attendiamo.

Comunque resta il fatto che Leopard partiva più velocemente rispetto a Snow,io ho cronometrato il tempo e ci impiega 19 secondi dal boot di chamaleon...mentre prima Leoaprd impiegava 5 secondi,non ho capito perchè.

Grazie

How are you supposed to do a fresh install of SL like it talks about in nullspots guide? I don't understand if you don't have to have 10.5 installed then how are you going to install Chameleon on the hard drive. Can I edit the DSDT files on Windows? The graphics on my screen keep tearing when I scroll I think because my GTX 260 isn't supported so its very hard to copy sections of the text out of code.txt

if you don't have any access to a mac at all

you can use a bootcd

there's nothing more simple you boot into the bootcd, after it boot, remove it and put your mac os DVD and install mac as if you were on a real mac

you can try this one

generic_video_ud3r_BootCD.iso.zip

I made it few weeks ago

but I forgot if I have removed sleepenabler or not

if you try it let me know if it works

it has videocard autodetect so it may detect your gtx260

once installed install chamelon, the boot file if you use chameleon rc2 installer, and all the kext (edit platform uuid to march smbios if it doesn't match), add efi string, and use my new bonjour installer few post above, voila, that's it.

in 30min you can have a fully working 10.6.0

then update to 10.6.2

so within an hour you can have a fully updated and working system...

Eliade I tried installing with that boot image and now I am getting a "Panic (CPU caller 0) Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM" any idea what is going on or how to fix this so I can boot up the install disk?

I just made you a slightly different one:

if not try this one, it's the exact same content but made as a boot 132 disk (old style)

generic_video_ud3r_Boot132.iso.zip

let me know how it goes

What DSDT are you using in your installer? Is it a generic one, or do you have a DSDT created per machine?

I'm attaching the one I'm using at the moment, which should work for every UD3R out there, with LAN and HDEF enabled, stripped down to about 900 lines (Thanks to mm67). It does have Device (EC) and Device (SBUS) so it'll need the extra kexts as well, but it'll give you gpu-throttling.

I've also included the updated FakeSMC 2.5, with support for the istat temps.

The DSL has my machine working 100%, except for headphone jack autodetection. How does that work for you?

working:

sleep

wakeup

appleLPC

cpu throttling

usb devices

eh, well everything. :)

note: gfx isn't included, use EFI string

Cheers!

I just downloaded and tested your kexts + DSDT, and they look promising. So far nothing is broken (I think) although I just updated my BIOS to F11 (I think, because it gave me some message about "restoring" so it could still be on F9, but it seems to boot faster).

Sleep works fine (JUST checked it), and otherwise I have to see how everything works performance wise. I'll test CPU stepping tomorrow, although most of the time I just turn off C states/EIST as I do overclock. I assume your DSDT was designed for a C2D (I have an E8500). Anyone with a quad-core CPU will have to enable the cores in the .dsl, but that's no big deal.

I haven't gotten to TEST Bonjour yet Eliade, but I did install it. I haven't been on my OS X so long haha... I almost forgot how amazing it is compared to Windows. I really need to update to 10.6.2, so I'll probably do that first thing tomorrow before my work.

I'm going to try to get a little preliminary release of SLP v2.0 (the pack) soon, although the v2.0 instructions will follow in a week or two (because of my heavy workload in school; next week there are midterm exams).

EDIT: Hey guys if I'm using a DSDT that enabled speedstepping with the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext and no add-on sleepenabler kext, do I have to do anything other than just run the 10.6.2 update through Software Update?

about CPU in general I noticed more interesting things with my shuttle setup and guide

at first I had an e6600, so basicly one of the first generation of core 2 (just like the q6600 that I have in my ud3r)

and long story short I now have a e3200 (latest generation of core 2) (had similar behavior with e5200 that I temporarily used)

new sleep enabler (for 10.6.2 on a 10.6.2 setup) would KP the system with the e3200, but not with the e6600, isn't it strange...

I would have never though this could have happened, I though a core 2 would be a core 2, but it does explain why some people may have the exact same and perfect setup as we do, but due to their cpu something isn't working right... and most likely something with either the dsdt or with sleepenabler

I didn't have time to investigate more yet, but my guess and hope is that I have to recreate as DSDT for this new CPU, thus in my pack I will have 2 DSDT one for older core 2 and one for newer core 2

(the shuttle only handles dual core , so no need to care about quads)

edit: chameleon RC4 solved the problem ....

I just made you a slightly different one:

if not try this one, it's the exact same content but made as a boot 132 disk (old style)

generic_video_ud3r_Boot132.iso.zip

let me know how it goes

Okay, the first iso worked great and I got SL installed. Doesn't appear that I have audio, and I still need to install Chameleon. Which version of Chameleon would you recommend? RC4?

Okay, the first iso worked great and I got SL installed. Doesn't appear that I have audio, and I still need to install Chameleon. Which version of Chameleon would you recommend? RC4?

Yeah, you just need the "boot" file from the i386 folder in the RC4 binary release. Replace the old "boot" file wherever you have chameleon installed, and it should work fine. I just updated my Chameleon to RC4 and am about to update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 using Software Update. As I don't use sleepenabler.kext and my DSDT is patched to let me use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, it should work fine without any changes.

EDIT: Installed 10.6.2 through Software Update fine. I do have 1 sound assertion error in verbose boot (but it doesn't do anything), and something about FakeSMC key not being found (twice).

D00m you may want to keep that bootCD (the one Chrisbees said was working) for the future pack, and/or post it on the first post... as another clean install option for those how have absolutely no access to a mac (don't want to get a 8gb external drive)

(it also makes a wonderful rescue cd, in case something gets messed up)

Dr. Hurt said that with RC4 platformUUID.kext is not needed anymore...

( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201850 )

was your gtx620 recognized well too during the install and first boot in OSX?

Just installed Chameleon RC4. All is good! I am going to remove platformUUID.kext now and seeee...

@Eliade

I was stable via blend for 8-10 hours, can't recall the exact time. Since I placed my 8GB's in I tested again blend. Lasted 6 hours then fail. I upped MCH one noch to 1.16v I think... I tested memtest v4 and that passed OK. I will test blend again and see if I have any faults. I have yet to move the volts up on the ram! I want to try to keep them as stock as I can because ram dies easily and I have had a lot of dead ram.......

Was your gtx620 recognized well too during the install and first boot in OSX?

Yes, it recognized it during install and first boot and seems to be working great. Thanks a ton Eliade for the boot cd. Going to try to get Chameleon going and get some sound. Will my sound blaster xtreme music pci card work or should I just use the onboard audio? One other quick question, has anyone ever got a mouse like the Logitech MX518 to work on SL? It has the back and forward buttons on the side that you can use for the internet browser and when I use them its like I am clicking the scroll wheel.

EDIT: Okay I just ran Dr. Hurts RC4 package, rebooted and told it to boot from hard drive and it just sits there on the bios page where it says verifying dmi pool data. I have to still boot up with the bootcd what gives?

Yes, it recognized it during install and first boot and seems to be working great. Thanks a ton Eliade for the boot cd. Going to try to get Chameleon going and get some sound. Will my sound blaster xtreme music pci card work or should I just use the onboard audio? One other quick question, has anyone ever got a mouse like the Logitech MX518 to work on SL? It has the back and forward buttons on the side that you can use for the internet browser and when I use them its like I am clicking the scroll wheel.

EDIT: Okay I just ran Dr. Hurts RC4 package, rebooted and told it to boot from hard drive and it just sits there on the bios page where it says verifying dmi pool data. I have to still boot up with the bootcd what gives?

X-Fi Xtreme Musix does not work under OSX. I think some cards like audigy now work, but that's about it. Yes you use onboard audio :rolleyes:

Are you sure your hard drive with OSX is selected to boot first in the bios ?