[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Hm, well I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong), that you can install Snow Leopard, or OS X when having the drives connected to the purple ports. They're basically IDE, and not supported, at least not natively. But if you manage to get SL installed, and by using the DSDT I posted earlier, is still able to use both RAID and e-SATA, then let us know. :)

You are right about the ports not being native, but I'm pretty sure you can use a modified IDE driver to allow SL to be installed on the purple ports (but why someone would want to? not sure).

I'm sure you could easily replace the CPU-info in my DSDT with your own. Just edit the section 'Scope (_PR)', line #21. It ends at 'Scope (\)', line #535 in my DSDT. So now you know where to look. ;)

Edit: I updated the DSDT in my previous post, it's now even more stripped down - still preserving the same functionality of course.

Xopher,

nice work on your dsdt, especially like your annotations.

Edit:

Check out post 220 from MC from the other thread you referred to, there's an attachment which contains some coding optimisations which you may want to include in yours - it'll reduce the length of your dsdt even more.

the "other" thread

Edit again:

Eliade, good to see you back!

Hi there,

d00m42, thx for your reply (on page 69). I did patch my DSDT for LAN, Audio, Graphic and SATA controller.

Everything worked in 32 and 64bit. The SATA controller is shown as ESB2, not ICH10 anymore and I don't need IOBlockStorage kext in E/E anymore. It seems to have fixed my DVD drive which hangs sometimes.

However, I don't see any difference in speed between controller recognized as ICH10 and controller recognized as ESB2.

Great job! Thank you.

xopher,

nice work on your dsdt, especially like your annotations.

Edit:

Check out post 220 from MC from the other thread you referred to, there's an attachment which contains some coding optimisations which you may want to include in yours - it'll reduce the length of your dsdt even more.

First, to be clear, I've only made minor fixes to the DSDT, to make it work on UD3R. mm67 has done most of the work, with the help of MasterChief and others.

Here's an even 'shorter' DSDT, weighing in at only 2855 lines. It's got all the optimizations so far from the 'other thread'. The functionality is still the same as with the last one. I've, again, commented out the PSS section, so you'll have to edit and uncomment if you wan't to change it to your CPU.

I've now included the Extensions I use as well. There are Devices SBUS and EC added to the DSDT, hence the LegacyACPI..kext and LegacyAPGM.kext. Edit LegacyACPI if you don't use MacPro3,1 as identifier. Add your gfx-device id to LegacyAGPM.kext if it's not there. Oh, and PlatformUUID.kext obviously has my drive's UUID, so use your own.

Enjoy

Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		Return (Package(0x04) // These values are for Q8400, please edit and uncomment for your CPU.
			{
			Package (0x06) { 0, 0, 10, 10, 0x81D, 0 },  // x8
			Package (0x06) { 0, 0, 10, 10, 0x471C, 1 }, // x7.5
			Package (0x06) { 0, 0, 10, 10, 0x71A, 2 },  // x7
			Package (0x06) { 0, 0, 10, 10, 0x616, 3 }   // x6
			})
	}
   }

If you edit your PSS like this, then you can also OC the FSB freely. Just letting you know :) Edit: Changed the Bus latency back to 10. I've heard it's safer this way. :)

Edit2: I've changed the CST-method of CPU0, so that it can't enter C2, C3, C4-states. This seems to have taken care of my video-stuttering problem.

Extensions_EP45_UD3R_27.10.09.zip

DSDT_mm67_27.10.09_v2.1_UD3R.dsl.zip

DSDT_EP45_UD3R_29.10.09.dsl.zip

Is this F11? I'm still on F9 I think, but I'm too busy to have to deal with lots of problems editing DSDT and messing with BIOS. I might give it a try this weekend, although I will backup everything just in case.

Is this F11? I'm still on F9 I think, but I'm too busy to have to deal with lots of problems editing DSDT and messing with BIOS. I might give it a try this weekend, although I will backup everything just in case.

It works with F11 yes. This DSDT actually fixes all my problems I've been having. [sleep, temp] Only thing left (which I had working earlier though) is headphone autodetect. Then I've had some minor problems with random stutters/pauses in hd-video, looking into that right now - and seems fine. I'll upload my current DSDT if it's what I hope it is.

Oh, btw, the fakesmc.kext in my Extensions zip is modified so that iStat can show CPU temps as well ;)

Will it work with F6 though? Just curious as I tend to not want to upgrade my BIOS unless there is a MAJOR fix or a MAJOR performance increase. Also, has anyone had any issues with mouse skipping occasionally when moved across the screen?

I need help with my setup:

GA-EP45-UD3P FB

Q9550

Anyone have this combination that can share their DSDT with me? i've tried and failed at this dsdt business myself

It was only a matter of time before vanilla power management re-emerged on this thread..... ;)

We have the same board and processor, would you care to share your dsdt?

Obviously for educational purposes..... :D

Next is GPU throttling, adding SMBus to DSDT... is there a UD3P DSDT guru out there prepared to step up to the plate? There is another thread out there discussing these very topics but we need to keep solutions based around the Gigabyte UD3R UD3P.

Dude could you share yours we have the same hardware and i've had no luck on my own.

thanks

Will it work with F6 though? Just curious as I tend to not want to upgrade my BIOS unless there is a MAJOR fix or a MAJOR performance increase. Also, has anyone had any issues with mouse skipping occasionally when moved across the screen?

I think it will yes, try it and you'll see. The hardware hasn't changed so..

About upgrading your BIOS, I highly recommend it. In F11 the AHCI-detection time was cut in half, which significantly speeds up your boot time. It's pretty safe too, just use a memory stick (fat16 or 32 I think) and be sure to back the original BIOS up before flashing.

I think it will yes, try it and you'll see. The hardware hasn't changed so..

About upgrading your BIOS, I highly recommend it. In F11 the AHCI-detection time was cut in half, which significantly speeds up your boot time. It's pretty safe too, just use a memory stick (fat16 or 32 I think) and be sure to back the original BIOS up before flashing.

Yeah, I'm not so much worried about the BIOS update, but more about if my current DSDT would not work anymore if I updated to F11 (in case yours doesn't work). I have to modify it for C2D anyway, and make sure it includes every fix I need (all of the essential ones plus stuff like no hd removal error on wake from sleep, etc.) Plus, my sleep works great now, and I would really not want to break it :/

To everyone else who saw me post about mouse lag, I found the solution (in case anyone else needs it), it has to do with the G92/G94 chipset cards.

I think I found a much better solution to fix the lag.

Remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

This kext is responsible for HDCP DRM {censored}, it is only present in 10.5.6 systems.

I tested in my system with 7.6 QTComponent and 10.5.6 NV drivers, no lag without this kext.

Please confirm.

I have to modify it for C2D anyway, and make sure it includes every fix I need (all of the essential ones plus stuff like no hd removal error on wake from sleep, etc.) Plus, my sleep works great now, and I would really not want to break it :/

Do you have to have 'Startup automatically after power failure' checked in Preferences>Energy Saver, for Wake-up to work? If I don't have it checked, my computer restarts on wake-up. Still working on this :)

When you've modified the DSDT to work with c2d, please post it here, maybe someone else can use it as well. :P

Edit: updated my last post, and attached my latest DSDT (to my previous post).

Do you have to have 'Startup automatically after power failure' checked in Preferences>Energy Saver, for Wake-up to work? If I don't have it checked, my computer restarts on wake-up. Still working on this :thumbsup_anim:

When you've modified the DSDT to work with c2d, please post it here, maybe someone else can use it as well. :thumbsup_anim:

Edit: updated my last post, and attached my latest DSDT (to my previous post).

Nope, I don't even have that box : )

screenshot20091028at102.png

Anyways I'll probably mess with DSDT/BIOS this weekend, too busy at the moment.

If your sleep/wake doesn't work, I might actually not mess with stuff so fast. I need to implement a few useful fixes into my DSDT still, but I don't see the benefit of C states when I'm not using them (overclocking). I might use your fakesmc.kext though, I was wondering why CPU temperature didn't work before...

Nope, I don't even have that box : )

screenshot20091028at102.png

Anyways I'll probably mess with DSDT/BIOS this weekend, too busy at the moment.

If your sleep/wake doesn't work, I might actually not mess with stuff so fast. I need to implement a few useful fixes into my DSDT still, but I don't see the benefit of C states when I'm not using them (overclocking). I might use your fakesmc.kext though, I was wondering why CPU temperature didn't work before...

My Sleep does work, I just have to have that box checked for it to do so. ;) Not a problem really, just a cosmetic issue.

Edit: And you don't have that checkbox because AppleLPC isn't loading for you:

$ kextstat -k | grep LPC
  64    0 0xffffff7f8091c000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.6) <9 5 4 3>

The DSDT will make the AppleLPC load [working c-states + the device-id fix in the DSDT], and it loading is also the key for lower temps when using p-states. But hey, I'm not trying to push you into doing something you don't want to do. :-)

Then there's one more fix that's excluded from this DSDT, it's the one that makes the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext obsolete. I'm just not using that anymore because people have reported the hotswap functionality of HDDs was lost.

Yeah, but after an actual power failure, does your computer come back on automatically? I don't even have a box that says that in my Energy Saver Preferences... Somehow, I don't think updating BIOS/DSDT will change that either. I just don't want to have to update everything, and not have that box to check, so my sleep doesn't work AT ALL.

Yeah, but after an actual power failure, does your computer come back on automatically? I don't even have a box that says that in my Energy Saver Preferences... Somehow, I don't think updating BIOS/DSDT will change that either. I just don't want to have to update everything, and not have that box to check, so my sleep doesn't work AT ALL.

The problem is in bios from the start, you just don't notice it before you fix the device-id of PX40 device. That loads AppleLPC.kext and the setting becomes visible. On my board PX40 has a correct device-id from the start so that setting is always visible and it does the same even with a dsdt that has nothing but the minimum patches to make SL boot.

And the setting doesn't really do anything on a Hack so it doesn't matter if you have it on or off. Just cosmetics.

The problem is in bios from the start, you just don't notice it before you fix the device-id of PX40 device. That loads AppleLPC.kext and the setting becomes visible. On my board PX40 has a correct device-id from the start so that setting is always visible and it does the same even with a dsdt that has nothing but the minimum patches to make SL boot.

And the setting doesn't really do anything on a Hack so it doesn't matter if you have it on or off. Just cosmetics.

Alright... This weekend I'll probably give it a go, and if everything works out, I will integrate it into the new rewritten and better organized guide I'm working on.

i'm using asus nvidia en9400gt silent 512mb. cant find it in the efistudio. anyone use the same gc like me?

edited : i find out :D

other question to d00m..

from the how to patch dsdt pdf file, you ask to copy the network code to the end of device (pex4/pex5). can you tell me where to put the code? how it should look like? sorry i cant get that one.

successfuly installed audio n graphic on my hackintosh. seems my ps2 keyboard not work with that.

ok rite now i'm using default com.apple.boot.plist for the graphic provided. it's nvdia 9800. mine is 9400 which i cant find the hardware list from the efistudio.

if i try to change the resolution, it show blue screen and i cant get out of it. so i logged in using efi boot loader with unmodified snow leopard installation.

i'm using asus nvidia en9400gt silent 512mb. cant find it in the efistudio. anyone use the same gc like me?

edited : i find out B)

other question to d00m..

from the how to patch dsdt pdf file, you ask to copy the network code to the end of device (pex4/pex5). can you tell me where to put the code? how it should look like? sorry i cant get that one.

successfuly installed audio n graphic on my hackintosh. seems my ps2 keyboard not work with that.

ok rite now i'm using default com.apple.boot.plist for the graphic provided. it's nvdia 9800. mine is 9400 which i cant find the hardware list from the efistudio.

if i try to change the resolution, it show blue screen and i cant get out of it. so i logged in using efi boot loader with unmodified snow leopard installation.

There's a magical search engine called Google, it usually finds answers (or directs you closer to the answers) of almost any question you can think of. I don't know personally from memory what the 9400 EFI string is, but I'm almost 100% positive that you can search and you will find it (or a tutorial on how to make/get it).

There's a magical search engine called Google, it usually finds answers (or directs you closer to the answers) of almost any question you can think of. I don't know personally from memory what the 9400 EFI string is, but I'm almost 100% positive that you can search and you will find it (or a tutorial on how to make/get it).

thanks for the feedback. i'm still working on it. btw, i tried to install chameleon 2.0 rc2 from the package i downloaded from their site, but it failed. mind if you included the package you use in the guide?

Alright... This weekend I'll probably give it a go, and if everything works out, I will integrate it into the new rewritten and better organized guide I'm working on.

As per post 1415, if you plan on implementing vanilla power management via dsdt, first step is to get AppleLPC loading as vanilla PM won't work without it.

The "Automatically restart after power failure" is just one of the visual ways to verify if the kext is loaded - other than kextstat of course!

Hi guys,

I followed step by step the installation and modified all the files that i've need and I had always the same KP: cpux caller 0xffffff80002cbf74.

Somme help will be very appreciate.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I followed step by step the installation and modified all the files that i've need and I had always the same KP: cpux caller 0xffffff80002cbf74.

Somme help will be very appreciate.

Thanks.

You made a mistake in the CPU section of your DSDT. You probably tried to use the DSDT posted a few posts ageo with a C2D, when it's formatted for a C2Q. I'm modifying it atm to work with C2D, I'll post it when I'm done.

EDIT: I now see you have a Q6600, but make sure ALL of the values are right, as the DSDT posted had multiplier values and stuff for the Q8400.