[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

d00m42 the LegacyHDA.kext file included in your latest beta pack is that the one for the 4 outs 2 ins? I have a 5.1 surround sound yet the only output I am getting is on the bottom middle jack listed as out. My center/sub and side is getting no data sent out.

You won't get all 3 analog outs working simultaneously using d00m42's guide. The issue is that when you go to System Preferences > Sound you can only pick one audio out option! There is a way where you can set up 5.1 HERE. The only issue with that is you will not be able to control the sound via your apple keyboard. You can do it via your logitech volume thingy....

For me I could not get the above 5.1 analog method to working perfectly, but half way through I found out you cannot adjust the volume via keyboard etc, I pretty much trashed that idea.

In the link above you will have to create an Aggregate Device and link the 3 ports together :) CenterSub, Fronts and Rears, but before you can do that you will have to get all 3 outs working, these will be the upper outs.

Test it by going to System Preferences > Sound and selecting each output and listen where the sound is coming out ... Fronts, Rears, CenterSub .... understand ?

EDIT:

Oh by the way. The screenshot you see in the link above. Thats Audio MIDI Setup, located in /Applications/Utilities

You won't get all 3 analog outs working simultaneously using d00m42's guide. The issue is that when you go to System Preferences > Sound you can only pick one audio out option! There is a way where you can set up 5.1 HERE. The only issue with that is you will not be able to control the sound via your apple keyboard. You can do it via your logitech volume thingy....

For me I could not get the above 5.1 analog method to working perfectly, but half way through I found out you cannot adjust the volume via keyboard etc, I pretty much trashed that idea.

In the link above you will have to create an Aggregate Device and link the 3 ports together :mellow: CenterSub, Fronts and Rears, but before you can do that you will have to get all 3 outs working, these will be the upper outs.

Test it by going to System Preferences > Sound and selecting each output and listen where the sound is coming out ... Fronts, Rears, CenterSub .... understand ?

EDIT:

Oh by the way. The screenshot you see in the link above. Thats Audio MIDI Setup, located in /Applications/Utilities

I searched around on a few different threads, and came to the same conclusion as Sull. If you want 5.1 working, you'll have to sacrifice keyboard volume controls.

Yeah there is actually a pretty good thread here at insanelymac which has a lot of good information as well.

@d00m42, are you using digital out ? Do you have the ability to adjust the volume on your keyboard or are you using some external volume adjustment ?

Alright I finally have my machine back up and running normally again. I had some very weird stuff going on there. I kept the machine stock ( not overclocked ) during the whole process and indeed when woken up from Sleep I have that start up shutdown issue, the machine will be in a constant loop of starting up, then shutting right back down. So that totally kills what I thought about the over 400FSB, next maybe we could try with less than 8GB of ram... I don't know how long I really wanna mess around with that because it's so bad for your system doing those improper shutdowns. Probably why my machine was so messed up... I do have my test installation I could test it on..

Yeah there is actually a pretty good thread here at insanelymac which has a lot of good information as well.

@d00m42, are you using digital out ? Do you have the ability to adjust the volume on your keyboard or are you using some external volume adjustment ?

Alright I finally have my machine back up and running normally again. I had some very weird stuff going on there. I kept the machine stock ( not overclocked ) during the whole process and indeed when woken up from Sleep I have that start up shutdown issue, the machine will be in a constant loop of starting up, then shutting right back down. So that totally kills what I thought about the over 400FSB, next maybe we could try with less than 8GB of ram... I don't know how long I really wanna mess around with that because it's so bad for your system doing those improper shutdowns. Probably why my machine was so messed up... I do have my test installation I could test it on..

I'm running 400*9.5 (3.8 GHz) really smoothly with 6 GB of RAM (2 x 2 GB and 2 x 1 GB, both Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800, but one kit can run at 4-4-4-12 and the other runs at 5-5-5-18). Because my RAM setup is slightly irregular, I run both kits at 5-5-5-18 and it's been working out fine for me including shutdown/restart/sleep/wake.

To answer your other question, no I am not using the digital out, so I couldn't tell you much about it. With my standard 2.1 Logitech Z4 speakers, there is a hardware volume control BUT I can use the little wheel on my Logitech G15 keyboard (the older blue-backlit one) to adjust the volume as well.

I am running 475x9 3.8GHz. The CPU is rock stable. I can't honeslty say the same for the Ram.. Going to do sone mote testing over the holidays. The system seems to be running fine other than that sleep issue. But more testing will show if sleep and stability are a cause!

I am using the lower out in the center, think it's called "out" but through all my tests digital out never had a volume adjustment. I think you would have an external audio adjustment like on mine logitech I have that external remote connects via a wire to the sub which can adjust volume n such...

Honeslty I have never really used sleep on this system before, well I mean my older MB, but it is very handy in osx and I would like to use it... More tinkering will tell.

One thig that really gets to me is how much stuff is added when you install VMWare Fuzion and that it slows down shutdown. You see all that {censored} when you do verbose boot and shutdown....

OK Here is my issue.

After trying this once and somehow {censored} up my 10.5 partition, i formated the hard drive, reinstalled 10.5 to start fresh.

I am not using ANY extra kexts in 10.5, i only wanted a running OS to try to get 10.6 installed. Before all this i was running 10.5 with everything working.

I should probably say that my main reason for wanting 10.6 is that, from what i hear, my ATI 4670 (id 0x9490) will work.

SO

I partition the HD i am currently running on for 10.6 and went through all the steps. The install works and all that, but i go to boot and just get a black screen. I have tried -v -x32 and get the same result.

So thats my issue, any ideas on a fix?

Oh and i am only using the kexts that are in the v4 SL Pack.

I don't know much about Ati cards, but I imagine you have to add an EFI string for your card or add code to dsdt... Try booting with -v and see where you problem is. I imagine it's to do with ati card though...

Install 10.6 via a USB key. It's much easier and you won't have any issues with permissions or anything. Quoted from first post!

I have been searching for a week now adding all sorts of kext and constantly having to reinstall. Posting here is my last hope but if I can't get it to work then so be it. I will leave it at that.

Rasstar, here you have pack of kexts you may be interested in, kext you want to use is ATAPortInjector.kext.

happy christmas to all

s

I don't know much about Ati cards, but I imagine you have to add an EFI string for your card or add code to dsdt... Try booting with -v and see where you problem is. I imagine it's to do with ati card though...

Install 10.6 via a USB key. It's much easier and you won't have any issues with permissions or anything. Quoted from first post!

Yep, USB install method is what my new guide is going to have from the start. I would strongly suggest that you use it! Originally I had the "install from Leopard" because it was easier to tinker and experiment with when things went wrong (because I had to do MANY installs in the process of writing the guide). That, and I also didn't want to erase my Leopard partition so fast until I was sure I had backed up everything. Now, that method is redundant.

hello my PC

CPU Q6600

MOBO: GA EP45C-DS3

RAM: DDR3 2GB 1333 Mhz

GPU: GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3 DVI/DVI

ODD: DVD/CD RW IDE

HDD : SATA2 80 GB only system HDD and order HDDS

key board mouse PS/2 = PS/2 to USB converter

Display: 1920x1080px DVI

i hachintosh installed for iTAKOS v7 10.5.7

i can`t intall Retal snow leopard 10.6 . install ed Kernel Panic (CPU 0)

please help and how to

Hi!

I use this guide, and mac works well. Then i make update to 10.6.2....restart...kernel panic:

Sleepenabler - update - ver for 10.6.2 - here

FakeSMC -download latest version 2.5 - here

for further help more info needed, are you running on GA EP45-UD3R? what CPU?

Put Hardware info in your signature

Sleepenabler - update - ver for 10.6.2 - here

FakeSMC -download latest version 2.5 - here

for further help more info needed, are you running on GA EP45-UD3R? what CPU?

Put Hardware info in your signature

thanks, i try to do it. but i dont know how to replace it from Terminal from BOOTCD

--

10.5.8 on other HDD kernel panic too...but before i make update 10.6 it works ((

thanks, i try to do it. but i dont know how to replace it from Terminal from BOOTCD

--

10.5.8 on other HDD kernel panic too...but before i make update 10.6 it works ((

in Terminal you can use:

cd - to enter directory (folder)

rm -R - for remove kext

cp -R - for copy kext

EDIT:

obviously you need to know and enter all the paths

in Terminal you can use:

cd - to enter directory (folder)

rm -R - for remove kext

cp -R - for copy kext

thanks, i replaced it and "rm -rf /Volumes/MAC/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext"

but.... panic:

c63b14131f90t.jpg

thanks, i replaced it and "rm -rf /Volumes/MAC/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext"

why did you use that? -> "rm -rf /Volumes/MAC/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

where your Extra kexts are installed?

check 32bit mode

try to find posts, threads with your motherboard model

Hey

I am currently on the 10.6.2 and i install ntfs-3g with macFUSE to get r/w permissions with ntfs drives, i have come across that ntfs-3g does not work at all if you have chameleon rc4 install on my pc and does anyone know a way around this so i can use both..

why did you use that? -> "rm -rf /Volumes/MAC/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

where your Extra kexts are installed?

check 32bit mode

try to find posts, threads with your motherboard model

i solve the problem (part..)

My Extra:

com.apple.boot.plist

--Extensions

-----fakesmc.kext

-----Nullcpupowermanagement.kext

-----sleepenabler.kext

-----IOAHCIblockstorageinjector.kext

-----Jmicronata.kext

-----legacyhda.kext

and system start normal. but sound doesnt work... i try to add other files step by step

A note to everyone using this board if your sound is not working at ALL it is because of SleepEnabler.kext if you delete it will work but you will experience issues with your mac of course, i am still trying to locate what exactly is causing this issue and will report back to everyone really soon

thanks

without SMBIOS.plist system start and work normal.

may be it has mistake?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>E5AB5C18-6D62-3820-BE0B-82491E6BD69C</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.000.0000.000.0000000000</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>00000000000</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>1333</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>2830</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>20</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1333</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hey

I am currently on the 10.6.2 and i install ntfs-3g with macFUSE to get r/w permissions with ntfs drives, i have come across that ntfs-3g does not work at all if you have chameleon rc4 install on my pc and does anyone know a way around this so i can use both..

I used NTFS-3G before and when it failed I lost a lot of data. Stick to HFS+ and FAT32

After sleeping and you press the power button what happens ?

No I think he can't GET it to sleep in the first place. Make sure you're using one of the restart kexts, and if it doesn't work, try the other. (OpenHaltRestart.kext or OSXRestart.kext (sp?))