[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Alright, step 1 (midterms) done. Sometime in the next week or so I'll be done with my college apps too, and have actual time for this lol. I am considering including a few different DSDTs in the pack labeled accordingly. At the moment, I have xopher's (what's there now), iSoprano's (creator of that thread), and your's (swavek, got it from the thread too).

I don't actually USE the speedstep functionality, but I like to have it there just in case I ever decide to speedstep (or so when someone else uses it and wants to speedstep, they don't have to make any changes). I'm not sure exactly what I'm missing in the included DSDT that's really important though. iSoprano's has the OSXRestart kext's functionality built in I think, which could be quite useful I guess. A few pages back in this thread as well, Eliade mentioned audio without using LegacyHDA.kext (entirely DSDT). If both of those features work, then could it be possible to have a 1-kext installation for this mobo? I'll see later tonight or tomorrow.

Well my small issue has now grown to a big issue after doing some updates. Since I installed I forgot to check for updates, other than doing 10.6.2....

After installing all the updates like Safari, iLife support, iWeb, iPhoto.. all those OSX is now really screwed. Well I did safari last and I got a kernel panic half way through installing. Rebooted and everything was fine. Reinstalled safari fine. After reboot I received another kernel panic, I did not have verbose on so I did not see what happened. Next boot I turned on verbose, but I booted fine. I tried to repair disk permissions and I received another kernel panic. I them checked my driver which had errors. I booted to USB installer and repaired! Oh forgot to mention the one big issue is that Mail crashes immediately after launch, you won't even see the program Window...

So my question is? has anyone experienced any weird stuff after doing any updates from apple. Other than 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 ?

I downloaded all the updates manually from apple and installed them that way. Maybe that could be why ?

Well I just finished backing up my DATA and when I get home from work I am going to re install and do all updates right away.. soo we'll see.

I was also seeing some very weird flashing of the top bar and programs just closing. I thought maybe weird OC issues so I just shut it off, but same thing.... Oh and my itunes library got damages as well, but still managed to recover. I now have iTunes Library (Damaged)... file

So my question is? has anyone experienced any weird stuff after doing any updates from apple. Other than 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 ?

Hi Sull,

Yeah! that sounds familiar.. and I see 4x2GB in your statement ?, sorry but I may say: Welcome to the Club!

to be sure first use memtest 4.0

s

Hi Sull,

Yeah! thats sounds familiar.. and I see 4x2GB in your statement ?, sorry but I may say: Welcome to the Club!

to be sure first use memtest 4.0

s

QFT.

Always make sure your hardware is fine, and then look to the software. I have installed every update since 10.6.2 with absolutely no troubles!

Weird. Yeah I did pass memtest 4!

I think the hard drive ha errors probably from hard overclocking, locking and me restarting... Maybe

well I have all the files backed and I am going to do a fresh install, the try all the update.

Hahahah I was so stoked to join the 8Gb club, I kinda laugh at home... "I'm stable" hahah then shut down ad in a bad way!

I'll be in touch

Well I got my ACPI problem fixed by reinstalling and now I hit a brick wall. I installed Chameleon RC 4, got it on the EFI partition and I reboot and comes up to the bootloader, tell it to load and SL starts up and my monitor goes to sleep and won't come back on but SL seems to be running. I tried the Graphics Enabler command, then a EFI string for my gtx 260, even tried starting in safe mode. I figure I am just missing something.

Well I got my ACPI problem fixed by reinstalling and now I hit a brick wall. I installed Chameleon RC 4, got it on the EFI partition and I reboot and comes up to the bootloader, tell it to load and SL starts up and my monitor goes to sleep and won't come back on but SL seems to be running. I tried the Graphics Enabler command, then a EFI string for my gtx 260, even tried starting in safe mode. I figure I am just missing something.

Well whats different than your USB installer which is working right ?

new Restart fix by Duvel300 -> here

kexts left in E/E:

LegacyHDA.kext

fakeSMC.kext

Very nice! I am going to check this one out forsure.

Well whats different than your USB installer which is working right ?

Yes, my bootcd that Eliade made for me works great. So I guess there is something different between dsdt, smbios, boot.plist and the kext files that it don't like. I am not even sure where I need to start.

Yes, my bootcd that Eliade made for me works great. So I guess there is something different between dsdt, smbios, boot.plist and the kext files that it don't like. I am not even sure where I need to start.

I ran into the same issue except with my USB installer. Just copy the files form your installer to /E on your booting hard drive... which then it will probably boot fine.

From there play around with kexts etc

Okay, I finally got my monitor to stop going to sleep. Had to go to Netkas and get the ATY_Init.kext so it would enable something so my gfx card would work by default. Now that I am not using the bootcd I have nothing for sound, upon trying to create my own DSDT file I get this

/* 0000 */ 0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90 /* 0008 */ 0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40 /* 0010 */ 0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40 /* 0018 */ 0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20 /* 0020 */ 0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01 } Return (Local0)1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Error 4095 - Invalid character (0x0D), expecting ASL keyword or name ^

This error happens I think 44 times it says, I recognize this data giving the error is for the pin configuration on the sound.

Okay, I finally got my monitor to stop going to sleep. Had to go to Netkas and get the ATY_Init.kext so it would enable something so my gfx card would work by default. Now that I am not using the bootcd I have nothing for sound, upon trying to create my own DSDT file I get this

/* 0000 */ 0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90 /* 0008 */ 0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40 /* 0010 */ 0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40 /* 0018 */ 0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20 /* 0020 */ 0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01 } Return (Local0)1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Error 4095 - Invalid character (0x0D), expecting ASL keyword or name ^

This error happens I think 44 times it says, I recognize this data giving the error is for the pin configuration on the sound.

Try using the DSDT I included in the pack I posted a few posts up, it's xopher's, and contains most of the fixes (I'll have a complete one up soon). Are you using an EP45-UD3R? What were you trying to add to your DSDT?

Try using the DSDT I included in the pack I posted a few posts up, it's xopher's, and contains most of the fixes (I'll have a complete one up soon). Are you using an EP45-UD3R? What were you trying to add to your DSDT?

Yes, I am using the EP45-UD3R.

EDIT: Okay, I think it was missing the HDA kext, added it and now I have my sound, forgot to add it back. I am still getting "Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 2682 goto Exit" is this normal.

Can someone tell me how I can get the Jmicron sata ports working in IDE mode with the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard? Cannot get it working at all. The DVD drive is only seen in AHCI mode.

I used succesfuly LegacyJMicronATASATAIDEmode.kext but that was on osx 10.5.x not sure how it works on SL, try it here

I am a bit new to this and finding help or instructions isn't all that easy so I did a reinstall. No matter what I do I cannot get the jmicron sata ports to work in IDE mode. If I can only get my SATA dvd drive working in IDE mode I would be good to go. It worked when I tried Rebel EFI but they want $50.00 for stuff that is free and the company has probably belly up by now.

I am a bit new to this and finding help or instructions isn't all that easy so I did a reinstall. No matter what I do I cannot get the jmicron sata ports to work in IDE mode. If I can only get my SATA dvd drive working in IDE mode I would be good to go. It worked when I tried Rebel EFI but they want $50.00 for stuff that is free and the company has probably belly up by now.

Hey Rasstar, sorry I cant help you with that, but I am sure must be solution for your problem - use search function, try different osx86 sites and you will find it. Sometimes takes days, weeks! to solve one little problem.

I tried LegacyJMicronATASATAIDEmode.kext and can confirm does not work if you boot system from IDE drive, but whats interesting if I boot system from another AHCI disk, jmicron IDE disks are visible (BIOS set to IDE with jmicron) so must be something connected to chameleon new versions, maybe boot UUID injection, not sure. You need to decide: take the challenge and spend hours,days for finding solution or 50bucks(quid) and problem solved :) We all facing choice like that all the time :)

good luck

s

ps. ahh and let us know if you find solution!

d00m42 the LegacyHDA.kext file included in your latest beta pack is that the one for the 4 outs 2 ins? I have a 5.1 surround sound yet the only output I am getting is on the bottom middle jack listed as out. My center/sub and side is getting no data sent out.

That's odd, let me take a look...