[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

there's nothing to "update" it's only replacing the RC2 "boot" file with the RC4, if you did replace it correctly and it is not working

my guess is that you installed RC2 with the EFI HFS option, in that case the boot file is in EFI partition, because the system boot onto the EFI not the root of the OSX partition

Yes, I believe I selected it to install to EFI HFS. Now what can I do about it? I can't seem to find this EFI partition it talks about. Thanks again.

Yes, I believe I selected it to install to EFI HFS. Now what can I do about it? I can't seem to find this EFI partition it talks about. Thanks again.

i you did then you don't need the extra folder at the root of your osx, you must put it in the efi partition

do you have only 1 HD in your computer?

if not

in the terminal type

diskutil list

and you will use the X part of it

looks like "diskXsY"

then to mount your efi partition first go into all mighty powerful mode :)

by typing

sudo -s

then write the line (to create the folder where you will mount your partition):

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

then mount the right partition into the right folder (replace the X with the X from diskutil output):

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

that's it you have an EFI drive in your finder

replace the boot file and setup your extra partitoin the way it should be

then when done unmount the EFI partition before you reboot or you won't be able to mount it again (there's an easy way to get back to it you get locked out of the EFI partition, but it's better if you can avoid doing that)

to unmount :

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

and delete the EFI folder:

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

i you did then you don't need the extra folder at the root of your osx, you must put it in the efi partition

do you have only 1 HD in your computer?

I have 2 HD's, one is just my 500GB storage drive which is NTFS, but SL refuses to mount it or do anything with that one. Would it be better to uninstall it off the EFI partion or just leave it alone?

EDIT: disk0s2 is OS X partion

Okay, well I got it to make the directory but trying to get it mounted I get

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI/

mount_hfs: Invalid argument

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs: Resource busy

I can go into Finder and see under /Volumes/EFI with a ShowAllFiles app and there is nothing in the folder is this normal?

Okay, well I got it to make the directory but trying to get it mounted I get

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI/

mount_hfs: Invalid argument

either you did restart while it was mounted, which I don't beleive since you didn't know how to mount it.

so most likely you didn't install with the efi hfs option

and/or installed with the efi mbr option which is not good... never done it that way...

and you use the rc4 installer which isn't good but not bad, basically added files to your osx system which are useless

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs: Resource busy

Thta's normal that's your osx partition it is already mounted

I can go into Finder and see under /Volumes/EFI with a ShowAllFiles app and there is nothing in the folder is this normal?

that's also normal you haven't mounted anything into the efi partition (well it failed)

so you installed it with EFI HFS option

replaced the boot file

is your extra folder in the EFI partition setup correctly

if so then try to boot with the minimum kext needed

your system should boot with fakesmc alone, then one by one add the other kext and see where you get a problem

if you are still stuck after all that I would start all over and reinstall osx

40C may indeed sound warm for a Intel CPU idle, but really what is the ambient temp in the room, the case, how much have you overclocked this CPU, what is the vcore at... see where I am going with this!

I am sitting about 32C idle @ 3.8GHz stable.

BUT GUESS WHAT EVERYONE. Last couple days I have been OC'ing and mostly just testing in Windows. All other hard drives were unplugged. Now back to OSX and BAM my Sleep issue has come back. I can't even remember what I did last time. Makes me wanna think that a certain voltage is not high enough. ....

@Chrisbees

Dude you were having just as much trouble as I was in the beginning. Thankfully I have worked through those will the kind help of Eliade and everything is great! Well keep at it!

PS. Anyone wanna add anything about the sleep issue over 400FSB

40C may indeed sound warm for a Intel CPU idle, but really what is the ambient temp in the room, the case, how much have you overclocked this CPU, what is the vcore at... see where I am going with this!

I am sitting about 32C idle @ 3.8GHz stable.

BUT GUESS WHAT EVERYONE. Last couple days I have been OC'ing and mostly just testing in Windows. All other hard drives were unplugged. Now back to OSX and BAM my Sleep issue has come back. I can't even remember what I did last time. Makes me wanna think that a certain voltage is not high enough. ....

@Chrisbees

Dude you were having just as much trouble as I was in the beginning. Thankfully I have worked through those will the kind help of Eliade and everything is great! Well keep at it!

PS. Anyone wanna add anything about the sleep issue over 400FSB

I can't say I've ever had issues, as I am at 400 * 9.5 (and have been at 425 * 9.5 and 450*9) without sleep issues... I'll look into it more though. What are your exact specs? Just the machine in your sig?

Yeah the machine in my sig.

Reason I say above 400FSB is because I read online that is an issue with this or similar boards from Gigabyte.

What's weird is last time this happened. I must have messed something up and the bios was set back to default and when I punched in the same overclocking values I had sleep worked again...

Maybe I should try that again hahha.

The system is stable 12 hours smallfft's and. I am testing blend today. The ram is a little underclocked so that should not be an issue! Couldna certain voltage make this happen.. ?

I'll be in touch tonight..

Been out of the loop since my two systems running 10.5.8 have been just fine. And quite frankly, I wanted to wait until a few dot dot releases came out before making the big switch to SL. But now I'm ready and have read through most of the 80 some odd pages of this thread trying to correctly map back to the opening thread with the how to info.

Also been reading the DSDT thread for the GA-EP45-DS3L and unfortunately that's causing some questions. I'm a bit confused as to what exactly is the minimum I need to do in regards to a patched DSDT. My desire is to get the basic stuff working and then (as I normally do) create a cloned partition and test out the more advanced stuff on the backup.

And by "basic" I mean video, lan, and very basic audio.

Current config is same as my sig details but have upgraded to 10.5.8, so our board, Q6600 (very slight mod to 2.7Ghz), 9400GT video card, just SATA hard drives and DVD, using a Netgear GA311 PCI Gigabit Ethernet card but could switch to onboard LAN if that's thought to be easier.

Will be doing the USB Install method. What I'm a little confused with at present is what exactly should I be modifying in the DSDT, again for basic functionality? I should say "high level exactly" meaning do I edit stuff for the video card there or merely do it via an EFI string as was done with 10.5.x? etc. The details of how to do the modifications I can look up. But as far as what I've deciphered, I believe the only vitals are CMOS issue, LAN and audio. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Been out of the loop since my two systems running 10.5.8 have been just fine. And quite frankly, I wanted to wait until a few dot dot releases came out before making the big switch to SL. But now I'm ready and have read through most of the 80 some odd pages of this thread trying to correctly map back to the opening thread with the how to info.

Also been reading the DSDT thread for the GA-EP45-DS3L and unfortunately that's causing some questions. I'm a bit confused as to what exactly is the minimum I need to do in regards to a patched DSDT. My desire is to get the basic stuff working and then (as I normally do) create a cloned partition and test out the more advanced stuff on the backup.

And by "basic" I mean video, lan, and very basic audio.

Current config is same as my sig details but have upgraded to 10.5.8, so our board, Q6600 (very slight mod to 2.7Ghz), 9400GT video card, just SATA hard drives and DVD, using a Netgear GA311 PCI Gigabit Ethernet card but could switch to onboard LAN if that's thought to be easier.

Will be doing the USB Install method. What I'm a little confused with at present is what exactly should I be modifying in the DSDT, again for basic functionality? I should say "high level exactly" meaning do I edit stuff for the video card there or merely do it via an EFI string as was done with 10.5.x? etc. The details of how to do the modifications I can look up. But as far as what I've deciphered, I believe the only vitals are CMOS issue, LAN and audio. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Nope, LAN, audio, and CMOS are the most important ones. There's a few things like the "device not properly removed" on wake from sleep error, but otherwise that's technically all you NEED along with a com.apple.Boot.plist EFI string for graphics. Let me know if you have any questions, as the current guide is somewhat out of date, and I'm writing a new one. You want to use Chameleon RC4 (use the RC2 or RC3 installer and replace the boot file with the RC4 file).

You want to use Chameleon RC4 (use the RC2 or RC3 installer and replace the boot file with the RC4 file).

Perfect, many thanks. That was actually another question I had. I saw the info on RC4 but I was a little confused there as well.

Glad to hear the How To will be updated. One of the problems with threads reaching "super" status is that it becomes hard for folks who are jumping in (or jumping back in) to make sure they are on the same page as the current/approved technique.

Perfect, many thanks. That was actually another question I had. I saw the info on RC4 but I was a little confused there as well.

Glad to hear the How To will be updated. One of the problems with threads reaching "super" status is that it becomes hard for folks who are jumping in (or jumping back in) to make sure they are on the same page as the current/approved technique.

I'm pretty much on top of it, but you'll have to forgive me a little bit in the delay, as I am actually just finishing up my midterm exams tomorrow, and in one more week after should be done with college applications. After both of those things are done, I'll have much more time on my hands.

I'm excited, as the new guide should be MUCH more concise and easy to follow, and hopefully it will be really the only thread you need to go to for SL help. Keep in mind I format and organize everything for my motherboard, the GA-EP45-UD3R, but I welcome other questions as long as they're not really far-out (ex. i7 stuff, which I do know, but isn't really that related to this so should probably be in a different thread).

I'm pretty much on top of it, but you'll have to forgive me a little bit in the delay, as I am actually just finishing up my midterm exams tomorrow, and in one more week after should be done with college applications. After both of those things are done, I'll have much more time on my hands.

Not to worry, I'm finishing up GIVING my last final this week

:rolleyes:

Yes, even instructors are happy about winter break.

I'm excited, as the new guide should be MUCH more concise and easy to follow, and hopefully it will be really the only thread you need to go to for SL help. Keep in mind I format and organize everything for my motherboard, the GA-EP45-UD3R, but I welcome other questions as long as they're not really far-out (ex. i7 stuff, which I do know, but isn't really that related to this so should probably be in a different thread).

This is the right way to have the thread. That's the problem with that other DSDT thread, although it's about Gigabyte boards and have great info, it's not specifically about our board (UD3R). And IMO that's what made Eliade's original Leopard thread so valuable. It was VERY specific and thus extremely useful.

I am installing from my USB External HD running 10.5.7 flawlessly.

I was installing 10.6 onto a different partition on the same USB External Hard Drive.

I know it installed because under System Prefrences> Startup Disks one of the options is 'Mac OS X 10.6 On "My Partition Name"

IMG_0886.jpg

I am installing from my USB External HD running 10.5.7 flawlessly.

I was installing 10.6 onto a different partition on the same USB External Hard Drive.

I know it installed because under System Prefrences> Startup Disks one of the options is 'Mac OS X 10.6 On "My Partition Name"

IMG_0886.jpg

If the install was indeed successful, can you give me a list of the kexts you are booting with? Make sure your BIOS settings are correct as well, and give me your hardware specs.

EDIT: I noticed at the very top of the screen, it failed to load JMicronATA.kext. If you aren't using any ATA devices, just delete that kext. If you are, make sure your JMicronATA.kext is x64 compatible. I'm whipping together a beta SL Pack for my new guide, which I might prerelease in a few minutes so people can start using the new files. The new guide will have to wait a week or so unfortunately.

The forum was bitching to me about incorrect BBCode when I tried to edit my thread, but since I don't want to completely erase everything yet (I want to wait until I am ready to post the new guide), I'll post the new pack here. It's "beta" for now, until I make sure it's absolutely perfect. I'll have an index of the pack in the new guide, but for now you can explore and see what I've included.

SL Pack v5.0b is Here!

http://uppit.com/v/ZZ507CIG

There's a few things like the "device not properly removed" on wake from sleep error, but otherwise that's technically all you NEED along with a com.apple.Boot.plist EFI string for graphics.

I am following a different thread for Snow Leopard and Gigabyte MBs and that particular problem was solved with a certain edit to the DSDT file and how the system sees the USB ports. After the edit, the system will think they are all built-in and these errors stopped.

If the install was indeed successful, can you give me a list of the kexts you are booting with? Make sure your BIOS settings are correct as well, and give me your hardware specs.

EDIT: I noticed at the very top of the screen, it failed to load JMicronATA.kext. If you aren't using any ATA devices, just delete that kext. If you are, make sure your JMicronATA.kext is x64 compatible. I'm whipping together a beta SL Pack for my new guide, which I might prerelease in a few minutes so people can start using the new files. The new guide will have to wait a week or so unfortunately.

I only used the ones in your pack (Version 4)

I am going to try it all over again with version 4 just to make sure i know what i am doing.

here it is

one same app to install and uninstall

Thanks Eliade, nicely done

...until I make sure it's absolutely perfect. I'll have an index of the pack in the new guide, but for now you can explore and see what I've included.

Thank you for your work d00m42 but sorry to say that: your new pack is also outdated, as xopher hinted you should have a look at this thread and do more dsdt research,

In your (xopher?) DSDT

you can:

safely remove Device (PCI0.EXPL)

change Device (FRWR) - to allow Hotplug to work

change Wlan - Lan section -> Load AppleLPC

fix for USB removal (if not fixed)

dont have time to analyze whole file but

you can have a look at my DSDT and do adjustment for your CPU speedstep or use general cpu info if speedstep not needed

kexts I am using:

LegacyHDA.kext

OSXRestart.kext 1.5

fakesmc.kext 2.5

regards

s

Thanks Eliade, nicely done

Thank you for your work d00m42 but sorry to say that: your new pack is also outdated, as xopher hinted you should have a look at this thread and do more dsdt research,

In your (xopher?) DSDT

you can:

safely remove Device (PCI0.EXPL)

change Device (FRWR) - to allow Hotplug to work

change Wlan - Lan section -> Load AppleLPC

fix for USB removal (if not fixed)

dont have time to analyze whole file but

you can have a look at my DSDT and do adjustment for your CPU speedstep or use general cpu info if speedstep not needed

kexts I am using:

LegacyHDA.kext

OSXRestart.kext 1.5

fakesmc.kext 2.5

regards

s

Like I said, it's SL Pack 5.0b. It won't be perfect yet, and I'm still working on it. I'll look into further DSDT fixes. Now though, I have to go take my physics midterm!