[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

My CPU Q9400 actually has a maximum multi of x8, so it couldn't have been jumping up.

Anyhow, After a lot of searching and hunting around I realized the only way to get all 3 outs working and combine them for a 5.1 experience, you are then not able to turn the volume up and down via the keyboard or remote, this to me is useless. I have found what I think is the perfect configuration for my Gigabyte board. After testing numerous different DSDT files, decompiling and compiling. Using the DSDT in the latest Magic Installer from the Life Hacker guide ( no hacking ) is the best solution.

I am currently using the lower green out which is connected to my logitech speakers. Digital out shows to be working, but I have not tested this as I have nothing to test with. Mic and Digital in looks to be working as well, but again not 100% sure, Oh and I will test headphones later. All of this without any audio kext, pure DSDT. Weird thing is. Now my Audio ID is 66 ... gets more weird all the time I know... never heard of 66.. anyway

I have no strings for graphics in boot plist. All done by DSDT. All in all I am very happy with my current setup. Also slimmed down my kexts a bit because of this and now that platformUUID is not needed, only the 5 kexts listed above are needed.

Sleep is magically working again. Not sure why it was not working in the first place...

Here's a screen shot of VoodooMonitor, VoodooMonitor.kext needed for this....

post-329068-1260761062_thumb.png

My CPU Q9400 actually has a maximum multi of x8, so it couldn't have been jumping up.

Anyhow, After a lot of searching and hunting around I realized the only way to get all 3 outs working and combine them for a 5.1 experience, you are then not able to turn the volume up and down via the keyboard or remote, this to me is useless. I have found what I think is the perfect configuration for my Gigabyte board. After testing numerous different DSDT files, decompiling and compiling. Using the DSDT in the latest Magic Installer from the Life Hacker guide ( no hacking ) is the best solution.

I am currently using the lower green out which is connected to my logitech speakers. Digital out shows to be working, but I have not tested this as I have nothing to test with. Mic and Digital in looks to be working as well, but again not 100% sure, Oh and I will test headphones later. All of this without any audio kext, pure DSDT. Weird thing is. Now my Audio ID is 66 ... gets more weird all the time I know... never heard of 66.. anyway

I have no strings for graphics in boot plist. All done by DSDT. All in all I am very happy with my current setup. Also slimmed down my kexts a bit because of this and now that platformUUID is not needed, only the 5 kexts listed above are needed.

Sleep is magically working again. Not sure why it was not working in the first place...

Here's a screen shot of VoodooMonitor, VoodooMonitor.kext needed for this....

I can't seem to find the Voodoo Monitor app... Could you link/attach it?

Okay, I got my sound working but for the life of me I can't get it to boot up without the bootcd. I keep getting a KP talking about Unable to find driver for this platform ACPI then down where it talks about the OS version it says "not yet set". Has anyone had any crazy lock ups? Computer has locked up 2 or 3 times and when I reset it then its like my monitor is in sleep mode, I turn the pc off and back on and it done the same except fans going full speed then it turns off and comes back on by itself and I have to keep playing with it. Going to pull it apart and make sure everything is seated good in a little bit, something might be loose from the move.

Sull:

Audio ID "66" is decimal for the layout 42 (hex) found in all appleHDA's since 10.5.6. I tried every layout listed in the first Snow iteration, and "66" offers the best compatibility with the UD3P, generates the least number of sound assertion errors on boot, and allows the most options to use the onboard chipset, embedded in a "noob" and "update" proof DSDT package. It's not the most complete solution, but it is elegant. I think, though am not certain, Audio ID 66 is for the 2008 8-core Mac Pro, so likely won't be retired for a while. Digital works.

Tmongkol over at the 889a board, has been tirelessly working on custom HDAs to use all resources of the Realtek chip on the UD3* and other series of Gigabyte boards. If you have a specific need, that's where to look.

Anyway, that's the history of Audio ID 66.

@d00m42 I have attached VoodooMonitor app for you.

@Chrisbees. What kexts to you have in /Extra ? This is 10.6 right ?

@machinist. Thanks, that's some good info buddy!

I had LegacyHDA.kext and NullCPUPowerManagment.kext. I deleted the NullCPUPowerManagment.kext and so far no more of that lock up. I have got to figure out what all these kext files do. What was the purpose of turning all that stuff off in the BIOS? I noticed while booting up

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=2 LocalApicId=2 Disabled

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=3 LocalApicId=3 Disabled So whats going on is my cpu running at just half?

I think NullCPUPowerManagment.kext can now be replaced with Disabler.kext. Thats what I am running.

that's weird about the CPU disable thingy. But you have done those settings in the bios ?

I had LegacyHDA.kext and NullCPUPowerManagment.kext. I deleted the NullCPUPowerManagment.kext and so far no more of that lock up. I have got to figure out what all these kext files do. What was the purpose of turning all that stuff off in the BIOS? I noticed while booting up

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=2 LocalApicId=2 Disabled

kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=3 LocalApicId=3 Disabled So whats going on is my cpu running at just half?

@Chrisbees

If you have a quad core processor, then you have to edit the DSDT to detect all 4 cores correctly. If you're using a dual core (as I am), then it's just saying that it detected two processors (dual core).

@Sull

Thanks for the app!

I think NullCPUPowerManagment.kext can now be replaced with Disabler.kext. Thats what I am running.

that's weird about the CPU disable thingy. But you have done those settings in the bios ?

Yes, that is all I have in the extra folder for right now. Yes, I had done those settings in bios but I had to turn Virtualization back on to run Parallels. Just wondered why they needed to be off. Hmmm, come to think of it I think I just have a dual core, core 2 duo.

Yes, that is all I have in the extra folder for right now. Yes, I had done those settings in bios but I had to turn Virtualization back on to run Parallels. Just wondered why they needed to be off. Hmmm, come to think of it I think I just have a dual core, core 2 duo.

on my shuttle all I need to set is VGA bios to no and osx works perfectly well (there are no AHCI option and it still works)

on the UD3R/P all that is needed is AHCI, everything else can be left to optimized default and osx will install and run perfectly well

so those setting, including disabling Virtualisation etc... were probably for some specific motherboard, and probably before snow leo even existed, irrelevant with snow leo and our motherboards

do you not have fakesmc?

it's one of the most needed kext...

I am not sure, I have not added it but on boot I see

FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6

netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device

Okay audio is working...had the mute hit on my sound control. Which kext files do I need in my /E/E/ folder? I still can't bypass that ACPI platform driver not found without the bootcd.

I am not sure, I have not added it but on boot I see

FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6

netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device

Okay audio is working...had the mute hit on my sound control. Which kext files do I need in my /E/E/ folder? I still can't bypass that ACPI platform driver not found without the bootcd.

Because you don't have enough kext to boot. Bulk man. You gots to eat your wheaties hahaha

Disabler.kext ( I use this in place of NullCPUPowerManagment.kext specially if on RC4 )

EvOreboot.kext ( I use this in place of OpenHaltRestart.kext because it don't work for me. Just use OpenHaltRestart.kext )

fakesmc.kext ( Unsure offhand, but crucial )

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ( Soo your drive does not show as an external USB drive )

SleepEnabler.kext

If you on anything lower than RC4 you'll need

PlatformUUID.kext ( you'll need to edit it with your hard drive UUID )

just for info it doesn't absolutely need to be your Hard drive UUID, any valid hard ware UUID will do, but I guess the easiest valid UUID to find is your Hard Drive UUID and that's why it is in most snow leo guide(I've use the same UUID on 3 machines and all work beautifully well), on leo we were actually using a UUID generator...

as for fakesmc you can find it (and latest) on netkas' website, he is the one making them...

(it's the equivalent of dsmos + more stuff), without it chance of your machine not booting in OSX are super high....

(dsmos stands for "don't steal mac os, if your machine is not a real apple it won't boot osx, so

the dsmos we used (in E/E) in leo was actually more like a dsmos (form S/L/E) disabler or equivalent, fakesmc probably does something similar + more usefull stuf like emulating the SMC, maybe just the fact of emulating the SMC makes the real dsmos work by fooling it)

just for info it doesn't absolutely need to be your Hard drive UUID, any valid hard ware UUID will do, but I guess the easiest valid UUID to find is your Hard Drive UUID and that's why it is in most snow leo guide(I've use the same UUID on 3 machines and all work beautifully well), on leo we were actually using a UUID generator...

as for fakesmc you can find it (and latest) on netkas' website, he is the one making them...

(it's the equivalent of dsmos + more stuff), without it chance of your machine not booting in OSX are super high....

(dsmos stands for "don't steal mac os, if your machine is not a real apple it won't boot osx, so

the dsmos we used (in E/E) in leo was actually more like a dsmos (form S/L/E) disabler or equivalent, fakesmc probably does something similar + more usefull stuf like emulating the SMC, maybe just the fact of emulating the SMC makes the real dsmos work by fooling it)

You don't even need PlatformUUID.kext with Chameleon RC4. That will be part of the new guide.

Because you don't have enough kext to boot. Bulk man. You gots to eat your wheaties hahaha

Disabler.kext ( I use this in place of NullCPUPowerManagment.kext specially if on RC4 )

EvOreboot.kext ( I use this in place of OpenHaltRestart.kext because it don't work for me. Just use OpenHaltRestart.kext )

fakesmc.kext ( Unsure offhand, but crucial )

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ( Soo your drive does not show as an external USB drive )

SleepEnabler.kext

If you on anything lower than RC4 you'll need

I don't think I am using Disabler.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext... just edit your DSDT to support C states so it can use the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

I don't think I am using Disabler.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext... just edit your DSDT to support C states so it can use the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

problem is that c-states doesn't work well on some cpu

in my case (Q6600) I would get audio lag when I tried c-states, very annoying when watching a movie

(unless a fix was found since I tried it...)

with p-states only speed step would work, but without disabler my temperature where 10C higher (45-50 on idle...)

so I'm not doing any speedstep anymore but using disabler and my temperatures are low (35-40 idle even 30 on colder morning)

problem is that c-states doesn't work well on some cpu

in my case (Q6600) I would get audio lag when I tried c-states, very annoying when watching a movie

(unless a fix was found since I tried it...)

with p-states only speed step would work, but without disabler my temperature where 10C higher (45-50 on idle...)

so I'm not doing any speedstep anymore but using disabler and my temperatures are low (35-40 idle even 30 on colder morning)

I'm considering re-adding disabler, just because of the temperatures. I have noticed with speedstep (even though I don't use it because I overclock) that I am idling around 40-45, and I know I can be lower than that. I don't know if I'd get down to 30, but I should be able to get to around 35 idle. If the temperature change isn't significant though, I'd rather have fully working speedstep (even without using it) than 2-3 degrees lower.

I'm considering re-adding disabler, just because of the temperatures. I have noticed with speedstep (even though I don't use it because I overclock) that I am idling around 40-45, and I know I can be lower than that. I don't know if I'd get down to 30, but I should be able to get to around 35 idle. If the temperature change isn't significant though, I'd rather have fully working speedstep (even without using it) than 2-3 degrees lower.

Yeah, 40-45 is a touch high for idling but, don't forget, temps are very processor-dependent so yours might just run a little warm. And, at the end of the day, idle temps of 40-45 are nothing at all to worry about. I've got an E5200 which idles at 50+ at stock and I can't get it lower even with an after-market cooler, plus a 120mm fan blowing right on the cooler. Besides, if we've gotten to the point where our biggest worry is that our CPU idles at 45, rather than 36, we've done our work well.

speedstep will work along disabler (in 32bit I was using voodoopowermini for speedstep along with disabler, now in 64bit I don't know of any speedstep kext, speedstep didn't lower the temperature much anyway)

still great temperturesL the Q6600 (not overclocked) is right now at 29C~31C , room is at 18C

(one of my hot HD died today, click noise and osx wouldn't boot with it connected, no data lost since I was using it as a TM, now I have the second and last hot one on TM, the day it dies I'll get myself a 2TB for a full TM backup and not just the system. I had them for free so I don't care if they die)

Okay, my system is running fairly good, got the kext files in and running good. But can anyone help me with this bootloader Chameleon? When I boot without boot cd I get a Chameleon 2 R431, which keeps giving me a can't find platform driver for ACPI. I have ran the RC4 installer found by Dr. Hurt, even copied the boot file out of the RC4 bin and copied it to my root folder on Snow Leopard but for the life of me I can't get the thing to update or boot without the bootcd.

Okay, my system is running fairly good, got the kext files in and running good. But can anyone help me with this bootloader Chameleon? When I boot without boot cd I get a Chameleon 2 R431, which keeps giving me a can't find platform driver for ACPI. I have ran the RC4 installer found by Dr. Hurt, even copied the boot file out of the RC4 bin and copied it to my root folder on Snow Leopard but for the life of me I can't get the thing to update or boot without the bootcd.

there's nothing to "update" it's only replacing the RC2 "boot" file with the RC4, if you did replace it correctly and it is not working

my guess is that you installed RC2 with the EFI HFS option, in that case the boot file is in EFI partition, because the system boot onto the EFI not the root of the OSX partition