[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Yes, it recognized it during install and first boot and seems to be working great. Thanks a ton Eliade for the boot cd. Going to try to get Chameleon going and get some sound. Will my sound blaster xtreme music pci card work or should I just use the onboard audio? One other quick question, has anyone ever got a mouse like the Logitech MX518 to work on SL? It has the back and forward buttons on the side that you can use for the internet browser and when I use them its like I am clicking the scroll wheel.

EDIT: Okay I just ran Dr. Hurts RC4 package, rebooted and told it to boot from hard drive and it just sits there on the bios page where it says verifying dmi pool data. I have to still boot up with the bootcd what gives?

then you don't even need an efi string

all you need is the following in in com.apple.boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Just installed Chameleon RC4. All is good! I am going to remove platformUUID.kext now and seeee...

@Eliade

I was stable via blend for 8-10 hours, can't recall the exact time. Since I placed my 8GB's in I tested again blend. Lasted 6 hours then fail. I upped MCH one noch to 1.16v I think... I tested memtest v4 and that passed OK. I will test blend again and see if I have any faults. I have yet to move the volts up on the ram! I want to try to keep them as stock as I can because ram dies easily and I have had a lot of dead ram.......

I haven't had a single stability problem in a few weeks, from the day I posted the bios settings

so my hopes are still high

memtest always works whenever I try it

and mprime is always stable

Are you sure your hard drive with OSX is selected to boot first in the bios ?

Yep, I just double checked it. It just sits there on the Verifying DMI Pool Data like its waiting on something. My other hard drive is just storage and with it selected it gives a disk boot failure because its just movies and music. Did I need to have a previous version of Chameleon on my computer for the RC 4 install package to work? Is there anyway to tell if the RC4 package installed?

then you don't even need an efi string

all you need is the following in in com.apple.boot.plist

<string>Yes</string>

So do I need to put that in my com.apple.boot.plist file? Currently it says

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Yep, I just double checked it. It just sits there on the Verifying DMI Pool Data like its waiting on something. My other hard drive is just storage and with it selected it gives a disk boot failure because its just movies and music. Did I need to have a previous version of Chameleon on my computer for the RC 4 install package to work? Is there anyway to tell if the RC4 package installed?

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, and try a different boot order. Unplug any external drives.

So do I need to put that in my com.apple.boot.plist file? Currently it says

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

yes so that it becomes

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Seems like I have the old F5 BIOS. There are no external drives plugged in. Do you know if its possible to install BIOS from USB or another way other then floppy? I don't own a floppy drive so I am in a bit of a snag. When I go into QFlash it has option for Update from drive but it says there is no drive.

yeah all you need is a simple flash drive with the bios file on it

gigabyte distribute it in an exe-zip so you need windows to extract it

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, and try a different boot order. Unplug any external drives.

Okay, well I am running the newest F11 BIOS and nothing is different. Still just sits at Verifying DMI Pool Data, don't appear to be locked up as I can Ctrl+Alt+Delete and system reboots, its like its confused or something.

EDIT: Just noticed that was the wrong plist file, I opened the one on the boot cd instead of Snows.

Okay, well I am running the newest F11 BIOS and nothing is different. Still just sits at Verifying DMI Pool Data, don't appear to be locked up as I can Ctrl+Alt+Delete and system reboots, its like its confused or something.

EDIT: Just noticed that was the wrong plist file, I opened the one on the boot cd instead of Snows.

How exactly did you install the bootloader. You used RC4 package someone made right. Why not try something that you know works 100% from first post and just update later....?

How exactly did you install the bootloader. You used RC4 package someone made right. Why not try something that you know works 100% from first post and just update later....?

Yes, I used Dr. Hurts RC4 install package linked just a few post up. You mean use the PC EFI 10.1? Okay, I will give that a shot.

Did you bios get reset? Remember to change all the settings to the appropriate values in the first post!

Yes, bios got reset, I changed all options back to what they were listed as in first post.

EDIT: Okay I just tried to install the PC EFI 10.1 from the first post and all I get is "An error occurred while running the InstallationCheck tool for “PC EFI 10.1”. Try running the tool again."

Yes, bios got reset, I changed all options back to what they were listed as in first post.

EDIT: Okay I just tried to install the PC EFI 10.1 from the first post and all I get is "An error occurred while running the InstallationCheck tool for “PC EFI 10.1â€. Try running the tool again."

Where are you running PC EFI 10.1 from ?

From within your OSX installation ?

Where are you running PC EFI 10.1 from ?

From within your OSX installation ?

Yeah, I wouldn't use the PC EFI v10.1 that I have in my current files pack, as I am making a new pack to reflect the many changes and updates that have come about in the past few months. Use Chameleon RC4. I don't have the installer offhand, but I know it's floating around somewhere.

Yeah, I wouldn't use the PC EFI v10.1 that I have in my current files pack, as I am making a new pack to reflect the many changes and updates that have come about in the past few months. Use Chameleon RC4. I don't have the installer offhand, but I know it's floating around somewhere.

unfortunately the installer doesn't offer an EFI install option

What I'll do for new install is use the RC2 installer with EFI option and use the RC4 bootfile

I wish I could crack open the RC2 pkg and replace the boot file with the RC4 directly

Is the boot file the only thing changed in RC4 ?

When installing OSX should be now just avoid PC EFI 10.1 and go straight to RC4 or above ?

Or am I way off the back here ?

EDIT:

Oh wait your saying use RC2 because it has the ability to create EFI ?

Is the boot file the only thing changed in RC4 ?

When installing OSX should be now just avoid PC EFI 10.1 and go straight to RC4 or above ?

Or am I way off the back here ?

EDIT:

Oh wait your saying use RC2 because it has the ability to create EFI ?

Yes, use the RC2 installer and under Customize, tell it to install to the EFI partition (if that's what you want to do, IMO it's better) and then once it's done, download the non-installer release of RC4, and copy the "boot" file from the i386 folder to the root of your EFI partition (overwriting the old one).

Yes, use the RC2 installer and under Customize, tell it to install to the EFI partition (if that's what you want to do, IMO it's better) and then once it's done, download the non-installer release of RC4, and copy the "boot" file from the i386 folder to the root of your EFI partition (overwriting the old one).

So in fact the only change in RC4 is the boot file ?

Thanks by the way.

Ok I got RC2 installer to install and customized it with EFI HTS and thought all was well until I booted and I get a KP saying Unable to find driver for this platform: /ACPI/

Just curious are you using EP45-UD3R/P ?

@Eliade or Anyone who can help.

Seems I am in a little bit of a hold one might say. I wanted to try and slim down some kexts after reading and testing one of the life hacker methods specific to my MB. I have managed to get rid of all audio kexts and indeed audio is working. Here's the problem, as I was testing the system I just realized sleep now has a bit of an issue. The computer will go into sleep no problem, coming out of sleep is the issue. The computer will start up fans, hard drives are starting to spin up and then BAM system shuts off, then the loop starts all over again until I power the PSU off from the back of the computer. I searched online a bit and have read some users have had the same issue, some were saying 8GB's of ram, I tested with only 4, same thing. Another problem I read was that the issue happens when you have a FSB of 400 or over, actually I think over 400 was said. Now Eliade I know you OC. In you sig says you are @3.2ghz with your UD3R, if you have a multi of x8 then that would be a 400FSB, but you could well be on x9 multi, my E6600 was x9.... So my question to you friend, you on x8, x9 or tested FSB above 400MHzFSB.

Oh yeah by the way. Soon as I put my OC back to the stock 333 FSB sleep works fine!

Seems kind of weird. Where I read online the user was using Windows. So I would guess this is board related... Any insight ?

@Eliade or Anyone who can help.

Seems I am in a little bit of a hold one might say. I wanted to try and slim down some kexts after reading and testing one of the life hacker methods specific to my MB. I have managed to get rid of all audio kexts and indeed audio is working. Here's the problem, as I was testing the system I just realized sleep now has a bit of an issue. The computer will go into sleep no problem, coming out of sleep is the issue. The computer will start up fans, hard drives are starting to spin up and then BAM system shuts off, then the loop starts all over again until I power the PSU off from the back of the computer. I searched online a bit and have read some users have had the same issue, some were saying 8GB's of ram, I tested with only 4, same thing. Another problem I read was that the issue happens when you have a FSB of 400 or over, actually I think over 400 was said. Now Eliade I know you OC. In you sig says you are @3.2ghz with your UD3R, if you have a multi of x8 then that would be a 400FSB, but you could well be on x9 multi, my E6600 was x9.... So my question to you friend, you on x8, x9 or tested FSB above 400MHzFSB.

Oh yeah by the way. Soon as I put my OC back to the stock 333 FSB sleep works fine!

Seems kind of weird. Where I read online the user was using Windows. So I would guess this is board related... Any insight ?

I'll have to look further into your sleep issue, but this is my current /E/E folder (nothing modified in /S/L/E of course!):

fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
JMicronATA.kext
LegacyAPCI_SMC_PP.kext
LegacyAGPM.kext
LegacyHDA.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
VoodooMonitor.kext

I know that with Chameleon RC4 PlatformUUID.kext isn't needed anymore, but because I have midterms this week (and very little time), I don't want to make any changes to a working system until next weekend. I am actually using the extensions posted by someone else a few pages ago, because my old folder seemed to be a little out of date and contained too many kexts. So far with this setup (and a modified version of his DSDT), everything seems to work (including sleep/wake/restart/shutdown).

I don't know what LegacyAPCI_SMC_PP.kext, LegacyAGPM.kext, and VoodooMonitor.kext do yet though. If you don't use any ATA devices, you can remove JMicronATA.kext as well.

I overclock, and use FSB 400*9.5. This seems to work fine, and I don't have any issues. I have an E8500, and know for a fact that it's capable of 4.05 GHz on air easy, and have had it running at 4.05 GHz before without any issues on OS X. Because of my overclock, though, I haven't tested C states.

Sull

Well I haven't updated my sig, but since I had that ram stability problem late september I stopped OCing the UD3R for a while to be sure that the lack of voltage on the ram is the problem (so far so good with modded setting, but default cpu speed), I'm still waiting another few weeks before I go back to OCing gradually.

but I'm not in need to OC now, the main reason I OC is when I do 3D rendering , OC can save me sometime over 24h compared to default speed (then even use the shuttle as a network render node to save me even more time and have 6 cores for a total of 17.5Ghz of power... rendering one project, which may be the reason why the PSU melted ;), even though I wasn't overclocking the shuttle)

with my Q6600, it is true though about 8x400 not allowing sleep whereas 356x9 does sleep/wake correctly...

I've experienced it too, no matter what amount of ram

and thus I used x9 multi instead x8 just for that specific reason

there is nothing you can do that I know of, besides using 9x multi...

I don't think it is a kext problem but an actual hardware problem

it would be interesting to test in windows, which would confirm a hardware problem instead of software (I don't have windows on the ud3r and never did, I bought it specifically for OSX)

what may be possible is this problem is limited just the e6x00 and q6x00 series

Hmm that was very weird. After numerous tests of sleep, somehow my bios got messed and was reset. I plugged in all my OC values and booted back into OSX, Sleep worked fine and woke up fine. The only thing that could have been different in the bios was the ram strap..... I'll have to look into that later.

I have slimmed down to the following kexts on my EP45-UD3P

Disabler.kext
EvOreboot.kext
fakesmc.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

All of which are updated to work correctly in 10.6.2. Also note that I use EvOreboot.kext in place of OpenHaltRestart.kext because that just does not seem to work. On a test install I just did it was working on 10.6, that's all I can say about that.

I don't know what these kexts do. I will look into those later and decide if they are necessary.

LegacyAPCI_SMC_PP.kext
LegacyAGPM.kext

This kext is for that monitor app to work. Think its called VoodooMonitor as well. I thought this was more for monitoring uhhh on laptops where the cpu speed changes... not for us OC'ing junkies. I had it on my laptop at one point...

VoodooMonitor.kext

I think I am going to do a little DSDT editing later. I am using a DSDT Stell created for the UD3P, but he also created a newer magic installer for the newbies ( latest lifehacker guide ) I tested the DSDT from that and my audio out works and is in the correct spot, but shutdown speed has increased a lot, with this DSDT my audio ID: 66 not 12 like it is now, but right now I am not using the green out, im using the black one.... I think I am going to snip the audio out of that. Ohhh and I think Sleep may be working with that DSDT without SleepEnabler. I tested it, but had that turn on shutdown problem. Ahh lots of testing to do. Well I have go to for a bit, but I will be testing some more later.

Honestly who ever has bought a EP45-UD3P should use the magic installer from the lifehacker guide. This is perfect for newbies. So if you have UD3P, Nvidia with dual DVI out and a core 2 CPU you are golden.

@Eliade...

haha that's weird you experienced that as well! Except I have it working fine @ 425MHz FSB right now, weird eh ?

Well I think maybe it could be something to do with the strap setting in the bios maybe. Who knows I could be way off. I will test more later. Gots to go train now. I'll be back with more info later

all I can say is good luck

@Eliade...

haha that's weird you experienced that as well! Except I have it working fine @ 425MHz FSB right now, weird eh ?

Well I think maybe it could be something to do with the strap setting in the bios maybe. Who knows I could be way off. I will test more later. Gots to go train now. I'll be back with more info later

using x8 or x9 multi ?

because I don't think it was the FSB the problem but the multi

as if during wake up the multi was set back to 9x but keeping the FSB to 400 thus running at 3600Ghz instead of 3200 and without enough voltage on the CPU which could explain the behavior of not waking up and going in crazy loop....

when I tried 400x9 I didn't think of trying sleep though as my CPU temps where at their limit

but the system seemed stable, all I need is a super cooling fan or water cooling

(my zalman 9700 doesn't keep low temps at high OC, I had the voltage a 1.5 though)

but for the price of a good water cooling system I could built a cheap but powerful headless rendering workhorse

which would be better for my rendering needs

because going from 3.2 to 3.6 I get a total of 1.6GHZ extra on a quad

whereas a cheap overlocked e5200 would add another 6Ghz of power instead...