[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

There is no hidden partition, you install chameleon to the MBR and the partitions boot sector then just copy the main code to /.

You can use /Extra to hold smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist (as per d00m's guide) as well as theme's etc...

well there's no MBR since most of use use GUID partition scheme

EFI is an actual hidden partition, it's even 200MB, it's partition 0 on the disk

by default it's blank (or fat32) if I remember right, then turned into HFS for our purpose

chameleon RC2 installer does it for you

it's part of the EFI specs to have a first small partition for boot purpose (Apple actually doesn't use it, but left the space for it to follow the specs)

boot a live ubuntu disk, it's very clear in the ubuntu partition utility :(

Hello. First time poster and still a noob to all this hackintosh business. First of all, thanks for all the great information on this board, it has really helped.

I just had one question. I am planning to do a clean install. Is it possible to just follow the instructions from the lifehacker website for the ep45-ud3p? And if so, does the onboard sound/ethernet work with the latest "pack" from stella (i.e. version 3)?

Specs

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (3GHz)

GA-EP45-UD3R

MSI 9800 GTX+

Thanks in advance. Also if anyone knows where to get ver.3 of Stella's pack, I would be most grateful. It seems to be a dead link on his site.

just use doom's guide mate, it's right here.

Hello. First time poster and still a noob to all this hackintosh business. First of all, thanks for all the great information on this board, it has really helped.

I just had one question. I am planning to do a clean install. Is it possible to just follow the instructions from the lifehacker website for the ep45-ud3p? And if so, does the onboard sound/ethernet work with the latest "pack" from stella (i.e. version 3)?

Specs

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (3GHz)

GA-EP45-UD3R

MSI 9800 GTX+

Thanks in advance. Also if anyone knows where to get ver.3 of Stella's pack, I would be most grateful. It seems to be a dead link on his site.

Hi Everyone,

Great guide and what not!

I am in the process of building a hackintosh and because I have never run OSX on this machine, could I say just build the USB installer and install OSX without patching DSDT, then I can patch DSDT once installed.... ?

Any info on this would be great!

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Great guide and what not!

I am in the process of building a hackintosh and because I have never run OSX on this machine, could I say just build the USB installer and install OSX without patching DSDT, then I can patch DSDT once installed.... ?

Any info on this would be great!

Thanks

the dsdt is there mostly for sound, ethernet, not needed for install, however it also has a fix against cmos reset after a reboot (well you add the fix manually when you create a dsdt)... this is new to Snow leopard

So in your situation your bios will be reset right after the install is done

so after your reboot, go to the bios set the minimum needed settings

then boot osx with your usb at chameleon screen select your installed osx

create your dsdt and install chameleon (add the dsdt to your extra folder)

reboot once more, you'll need to go back to your bios again because it will reset again, but this is the last time you have to do that so you can fine tune your bios settings...

enjoy

(instead of resetting you bios twice you can create a dsdt with ubuntu live cd, but setting the bios will probably be faster than figuring out how to make a dsdt with ubuntu)

now you know what will happen

but without osx how are you planning to create a usb installer?

(unless I'm not aware of a windows way of doing it)

if you didn't think about that, I just made a bootcd for the ud3r, it has my dsdt

I'm on a core 2 Quad, so if that's what you have you should not have any problem with my dsdt

if you have a dual core, then I don't know if it will even boot...

I would still create your own dsdt once osx is installed...

this boot cd has auto graphic injection, so it may or may not work with full acceleration, or maybe not work at all, which I doubt, in the worst case it should be at the wrong resolution and ratio...

I haven't tried this disk so may not work (I tried a similar one with my own video card info on it, so this disk should work)

if it does work you can directly boot the retail OSX with this CD, just follow the instruction on the screen

(for UD3R, core 2 quad, maybe core 2 duo)

BootCD.iso.zip

@Eliade

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right page....

Making a USB installer is no problem. I have OSX 10.6.2 on my Wind Netbook and I also have a Mac Mini as my current desk.

Hey whats LegacyHDA for, I see it under Extra/Extensions..

Also something else I was confused about. On first post in the USB installer guide

IMPORTANT NOTE: These steps assume you already have -

• modified the com.apple.boot.plist with EFI strings for video, "-x32" boot flags, etc.

This is not needed for USB installer ??

@Eliade

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right page....

Making a USB installer is no problem. I have OSX 10.6.2 on my Wind Netbook and I also have a Mac Mini as my current desk.

Hey whats LegacyHDA for, I see it under Extra/Extensions..

Also something else I was confused about. On first post in the USB installer guide

This is not needed for USB installer ??

legacyHDA works along with the dsdt fix for sound,

so not really needed on your usb disk, won't hurt having it, but you will need it for your installed osx

about the -x32 (use arch=i386 instead if you use the chameleon RC2/3 boot file, or just put both)

with usb installer I was able to install in both 32 and 64bit without any problem, so it doesn't really matter... it only depends on the kext you are using if one is not 64bit compatible than it is needed, but all the kext in the pack are 64bit compatible

Efi string is to support your video card, without an efi string it may work (wrong ration and resolution etc...), but it's nicer to have it right from the start

or maybe without it your display output will simply not work... then you must have it

it's easy to get so I would do it... utility to get it is in the pack, you can do it on any mac...

if you have the gts8800 320mb then use mine: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

if you have the 640mb or 512mb then it will be different

Right OK, now that you have posted you boot.plist I understand what I have to paste from the EFIStudio app. Mine is 8800 GTS 640mb. I am preparing my USB installer now.. would have already been installing OSX, but my new MB did not work and I have another one on the way.... sucky for me.

Right OK, now that you have posted you boot.plist I understand what I have to paste from the EFIStudio app. Mine is 8800 GTS 640mb. I am preparing my USB installer now.. would have already been installing OSX, but my new MB did not work and I have another one on the way.... sucky for me.

good luck

Another thing I am confused about is overclocking. I use to overclock with my previous board and cpu in this machine I will be using.

but we are undering the FSB etc into smbios.plist ... I am totally off here or what ?

Another thing I am confused about is overclocking. I use to overclock with my previous board and cpu in this machine I will be using.

but we are undering the FSB etc into smbios.plist ... I am totally off here or what ?

supposedly yeah, you write down your overclocked values, but I never noticed any difference if the smbios had wrong values (besides the fact that cpu speed will have the wrong value in about this mac), the computer is not being over/underclocked if you have wrong values

here is an example: SMBIOS.plist.zip

you'll have to change your SMUUID accordingly (the guide explains what to do)

FSB = SMexternalclock, 266 FSB on my board

cpu speed = SMmaximalclock, 2.4GHz for me (9x266)

SMmemspeed, mine runs at 800mhz

supposedly yeah, you write down your overclocked values, but I never noticed any difference if the smbios had wrong values (besides the fact that cpu speed will have the wrong value in about this mac), the computer is not being over/underclocked if you have wrong values

here is an example: SMBIOS.plist.zip

you'll have to change your SMUUID accordingly (the guide explains what to do)

FSB = SMexternalclock, 266 FSB on my board

cpu speed = SMmaximalclock, 2.4GHz for me (9x266)

SMmemspeed, mine runs at 800mhz

Yeah I filled out mine correctly. I was just wondering if that needs to be edited everytime I change my FSB when overclocking, but you just said you boot fine with a different FSB speed than the one in your smbios plist ...

How come your smbios file has a lot more info than mine ?

Looks like you have your moberboard and ram etc, oh wait right soo these values are just for "About This Mac" - more info right ?

EDIT:

Can you show me a screen shot of about this mac .. on your comp ?

Yeah I filled out mine correctly. I was just wondering if that needs to be edited everytime I change my FSB when overclocking, but you just said you boot fine with a different FSB speed than the one in your smbios plist ...

How come your smbios file has a lot more info than mine ?

Looks like you have your moberboard and ram etc, oh wait right soo these values are just for "About This Mac" - more info right ?

EDIT:

Can you show me a screen shot of about this mac .. on your comp ?

I based my SMBios on one found online

yeah basically those value are for the - about this mac - more info

Since 10.6.2, it is now seens as Quad Xeon

before that (even in Leopard) it was always "unknown CPU"

this means that I can now install Silverlight without modding the installer

post-309790-1258852123_thumb.png

I based my SMBios on one found online

yeah basically those value are for the - about this mac - more info

Since 10.6.2, it is now seens as Quad Xeon

before that (even in Leopard) it was always "unknown CPU"

this means that I can now install Silverlight without modding the installer

post-309790-1258852123_thumb.png

Sweet. I am so picky, the values in "About This Mac" and "More Info" they need to reflect the correct specs ;)

I did the following on my Netbook to get the correct values under 10.6.2

How to change your CPU Info

1. open your terminal

2. type "sudo emacs /Volumes/YOURVOLUMENAME/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings"

3. search the string saying ""ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";"

4. change the "%@" to anything you want emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

5. save and close the file (control+x, control+s, y)

i for example changed my cpu info to "1.66 GHz Intel® Atom™ N270" (to make the symbol for the ® press ALT+R and to make the ™ symbol press SHIFT+ALT+D)

EDIT:

How to change your "Processor Name" in the System Profiler (because it will still say "Intel Core Solo" here)

1. open your terminal

2. type "sudo emacs /Volumes/YOURVOLUMENAME/System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/Localizable.strings"

3. search the line saying "cpu_type = "Processor Name";"

4. change it to "cpu_type = "Processor Name";"Intel Core Solo"="Intel® Atom™ N270";"

5. save and close the file (control+x, control+s, y)

6. open disk utility and repair permissions for your volume

Note to Step 2: Since i'm german and the language of my OS X is german aswell i edited the Localizable.strings in the "German.lproj" folder. However if you're english you want to edit the one in the "English.lproj" folder.

Of course you don't have to use the terminal and emacs. You can also do it via the Finder and rightclicking the "SPPlatformReporter.spreporter" and selecting "Show Package Contents" and proceed from there

From Insanely Wind, but this probably originated from somewhere on the net.

If you don't wanna test this! I will soon as I have OSX installed :)

Sweet. I am so picky, the values in "About This Mac" and "More Info" they need to reflect the correct specs ;)

I did the following on my Netbook to get the correct values under 10.6.2

From Insanely Wind, but this probably originated from somewhere on the net.

If you don't wanna test this! I will soon as I have OSX installed :)

I use to do that when I had unknow cpu

but that didn't change anything regarding the system, silverlight would not install without modding the installer

I actually like it being seen as a xeon :-)

I was confused what I should do with "Extensions.mkext" but luckily I figured it out all on my lonesome haha

ALSO - don't copy the pack's Extensions.mkext (you'll create your own later)

Answer =

15- run kext utility (in the pack) to create the mkext in the Extra folder

What exactly does "Extensions.mkext" do ?

PS. my USBInstaller is built and I will wait for my MB to arrive :)

EDIT:

I was also wondering about updating. I have read that users have successfully updated to 10.6.2 pretty easily, but I have not read back enough to read about 10.6.1 updating. Could anyone quickly tell me because I honestly don't feel like reading this whole thread 78 pages

Thanks

I was confused what I should do with "Extensions.mkext" but luckily I figured it out all on my lonesome haha

Answer =

What exactly does "Extensions.mkext" do ?

PS. my USBInstaller is built and I will wait for my MB to arrive :(

EDIT:

I was also wondering about updating. I have read that users have successfully updated to 10.6.2 pretty easily, but I have not read back enough to read about 10.6.1 updating. Could anyone quickly tell me because I honestly don't feel like reading this whole thread 78 pages

Thanks

Extensions.mkext is kind of a compressed version of the Extra/Extensions folder

some kext cannot be loaded from Extra/Extensions (i.e. JmicronATA)

but will load fine if that kext is inside the mkext file

after you have installed everything

use chameleon rc2 installer, and replace the boot file with the one from netkas' website (the post is called PCIEFI) use the most recent version

also look for the latest fakesmc also on netkas' website

and finally before updating to 10.6.2, download the new sleepenabler also from netkas' website, in the 10.6.2 post

(few days ago I removed 2 sticks of ram to see if my computer would be more stable, and it was, then decided to put back those two to have back a total of 4, well the computer wasn't happy, had to do optimized default, I couldn't raise the voltage on the northbridge, so I went back to optimized default, booted osx, and the Kernel Panic-ed due to instability of the computer related to the ram, but it kp at a point that was critical to osx I guess, I was able to boot osx again, but it did some automatic fixing during boot, took 5min to boot, then finder would not start anymore, everything was funky, but from the day I fried my main HD 6month ago, I have Time machine always running, and it was really helpful just now to restore the system back to the last backup which was 1h before the "crash"

So the moral here is use Time machine and it may save many thing when a BIG "crash" was the least expected)

after you have installed everything

use chameleon rc2 installer, and replace the boot file with the one from netkas' website (the post is called PCIEFI) use the most recent version

also look for the latest fakesmc also on netkas' website

and finally before updating to 10.6.2, download the new sleepenabler also from netkas' website, in the 10.6.2 post

Are you saying, when I have updated to 10.6.1 that I should run chameleleon rc2 ? Now I have the updates so I don't have the need to use apple update, but say if someone did would their machine still boot, do you install chameleleon right after the update before restart ?

That is interesting what you say about your ram. I will keep that in mind when OC'ing because yes I have had a similar experience a long time ago in Windows. I would also unplug all hard drives except my main OS just in case.. don't want any corruption.

I have. What seems to be the problem?

I am about to install S/L and use 64 bit on EP45-DS4, so have some questions:

What are the 3-rd parties kexts necessary to use 64 bit? Can you please list them,

is the subject guide followed to 64 bit S/L?

Do you use kexts in /Extra/Extensions?

Is it stable on?

Regards.

Are you saying, when I have updated to 10.6.1 that I should run chameleleon rc2 ? Now I have the updates so I don't have the need to use apple update, but say if someone did would their machine still boot, do you install chameleleon right after the update before restart ?

That is interesting what you say about your ram. I will keep that in mind when OC'ing because yes I have had a similar experience a long time ago in Windows. I would also unplug all hard drives except my main OS just in case.. don't want any corruption.

no rc2/rc3 is optional , but much better than the one in the pack

well rc3 is much better, but I use rc2 installer to set up my EFI partition for me

and rc3 modified form netkas has even more little improvement, but rc3 is all that is really needed

I am back to F11, F6 experiment failed finally..

and back to BIOS tweaking

also thinking about removing two modules permanently

Yeah I don't know why my computer totally freaked out when I reinstalled the other two modules...

I'm going to do that too, use only two modules

but I'm going to sell my 4x2GB and buy 2x4GB instead, and hopefully that will be better

(I know the modules are fine I memtest-ed them each and in pair for over 24h each without error)

edit:

I didn't realize 2x4GB is very expensive

around $250

I had my 4x2GB for $120

edit:

overall price of ram increased, the same 4x2gb kit is almost $200 now

(or maybe had a great offer without knowing it)

found some ocz for 209 on amazon, I think I'm gonna go with that

Hi, i succeded to install snow leopard on my board GA-EP45-UD3 patching dsdt.aml. The only problem that I cannot resolve is booting back to 64 bit, after I updated to 10.6.2 even if i set in com.apple.boot.plist arch=x86_64(with last pcefi) I boot always in 32 bit. :rolleyes:

[EDIT]

Another weird thing is that I cannot see correct memory in system profiler:

post-417812-1258908588_thumb.png

Yesterday I installed from leopard(10.5.8) and I was having trouble with geekbench and spotlight not working, but 64 bit was there

[/EDIT]

Fixed system profiler error adding keys to memory in smbios.plist.

I am back to F11, F6 experiment failed finally..

and back to BIOS tweaking

also thinking about removing two modules permanently

if you are overcloking remove the overclock for the next few weeks

and use optimised default on that cpu / memory setting page in the bios

found the info on corsair's forum, by a corsair tech guy

even if you don't have corsair it's the same

go back to F11

set you mem latency setting manually to the rams default, mine is 5-5-5-18

drop your ram down to 667Mhz

+0.05v on MCH (or the closest setting, upped mine to 1.16v)

up the ram voltage to +0.1v (recommended for gigabyte board) with two modules or +0.2v with four

I was at 1.8v upped it to 2.0v

don't touch anything else (at least not until these settings fails)

my system booted without a hic

so I don't care if I'm at 667 at least I have my 8GB back, I prefer quantity over speed...

tonight I'll run a full memtest with those settings

I don't know why but I feel these settings will work

and in two months if nothing goes bad

I'll overclock to 333 to have a nice 1/1 ratio with CPU...