[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Just to share a few notes/hints I've picked up about upgrading to 10.6.2:

1. If you're using dsmos.kext, you should switch to fakesmc.kext V2.

2. If you get an error when booting similar to: "fakesmc: key info not found MSDS, length -6," simply add the missing key (MSDS in the example) to your fakesmc.kext. I've seen other key errors like CLWK, TCBH, TCAH, etc. Just add the applicable key if you get the error.

3. A LONG ways up thread Eliade and I were speculating as to the use and necessity of PlatformUUID.kext. I had removed it without adverse consequences. However, I found that on my i7 machine (EX58-UD3R mobo), I needed to reinsert it to get Time Machine and SuperDuper working. Please note that I did NOT need it on my EP45 machines, just on the EX58. But it's good to know.

4. Someone may have posted this already, but there's a new sleepenabler.kext on Netkas' site.

Just to share a few notes/hints I've picked up about upgrading to 10.6.2:

1. If you're using dsmos.kext, you should switch to fakesmc.kext V2.

2. If you get an error when booting similar to: "fakesmc: key info not found MSDS, length -6," simply add the missing key (MSDS in the example) to your fakesmc.kext. I've seen other key errors like CLWK, TCBH, TCAH, etc. Just add the applicable key if you get the error.

JFLNYC mate, I've been looking everywhere how to solve this new MSDS error on my Shuttle SG31G2 (camouflaged as MacPro3,1) installation that occurred after updating to 10.6.2, so please, where can I find the proper <data> to insert to the MSDS <key> in FakeSMC? Where do we usually get these values that you mention, i.e. MSDS, CLWK, TCBH, TCAH etc? Thanks...

JFLNYC mate, I've been looking everywhere how to solve this new MSDS error on my Shuttle SG31G2 (camouflaged as MacPro3,1) installation that occurred after updating to 10.6.2, so please, where can I find the proper <data> to insert to the MSDS <key> in FakeSMC? Where do we usually get these values that you mention, i.e. MSDS, CLWK, TCBH, TCAH etc? Thanks...

It was driving me nuts, too. It's ridiculously simple to fix. Just right click on your fakesmc.kext file and choose "Show Package Contents". Then drill down to and open the info.plist file and add MSDS as a new key. Just "MSDS." No other data is needed.

I prefer to use Property List Editor because it makes it makes adding a key so easy. But if you're using Text Edit, it will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>fakesmc</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>org.netkas.fakesmc</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>fakesmc</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>2.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>FakeSMC</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>org.netkas.fakesmc</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>FakeSMC</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>
		<key>IOResourceMatch</key>
		<string>ACPI</string>
		<key>SMCKeys</key>
		<dict>
			<key>MSDS</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>$Num</key>
			<data>AQ==</data>
			<key>ACID</key>
			<data>AAAAAAAA</data>
			<key>BALG</key>
			<data>AAAAAAAA</data>
			<key>LSOF</key>
			<data>AQ==</data>
			<key>LSSB</key>
			<data>AQE=</data>
			<key>MSSD</key>
			<data>Aw==</data>
			<key>MSSP</key>
			<data>AA==</data>
			<key>NATJ</key>
			<data>AA==</data>
			<key>NVPR</key>
			<data>AAAAAAAA</data>
			<key>OSK0</key>
			<string>ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpl</string>
			<key>OSK1</key>
			<string>easedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc</string>
			<key>REV </key>
			<data>ATAPAAAD</data>
		</dict>
		<key>smc-compatible</key>
		<string>smc-napa</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>
	<string>1.0.0d1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	<string>7.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	<string>8.0.0d0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
	<string>8.0.0b1</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

That's the whole info.plist file. All you've got to do is added the two little lines

<key>MSDS</key>
<string></string>

where indicated, clear your extensions cache and reboot.

The other values I mentioned (CLWK, TCBH, TCAH, etc.) just reflect slightly different errors others are getting, e.g., "fakesmc: key info not found CLWK" instead of "fakesmc: key info not found MSDS." You only need to add the key(s) for the error(s) you're getting. In my case, it was only MSDS.

to get 32 bit you need

arch=x386

(-x32 doesn't work with the newer boot file)

I've tried like that but still the same result :P

But as I install kext is:

pack of doom's v1.25

fakesmc replace the netkas got v2

smbios mac 38

Chameleon 2 rc3

boot efi 10.5

tomorrow I try to take pictures when load

thanks for reply :P

update went smooth on 3 hackintosh

just replaced sleepenabler with the new one before the update

some people had panic, I recommend to also update to the latest fakesmc before updating, just go to netkas' website to get it, I don't know if it is a factor but it may be...

and definitely don't use dsmos...

It sounds like the only needed changes to an already stable 10.6.1 install are the new sleepenabler.kext and the latest fakesmc.kext (can't hurt).

I'll give it a go tomorrow or Saturday and post back.

I'm still in the process of writing a new guide, I might as well include details on 10.6.2. I wish I didn't have so many quizzes/tests and so much homework x___X Hopefully it will die down a little bit soon as the Thanksgiving break approaches.

I'm on 10.6.2, things are working well except for the random delay. No KP's yet... I was getting the odd KP on 10.6.1 with a mixture of DSDT settings and kext files...

After updating to 10.6.2 I played with some of xopher's files and got audio to work without the noticeable pop/click on boot!!! After compiling DSDT and putting a few of xopers extra kext's in my /E/E folder, it's working great!

Now I'm pumped and decide to toss F11 bios in for faster booting... Low and behold, audio is acting up now, I don't have output control and there was a slight pop on boot.

For any DSDT questions that may be directed my way: I'm running a C2D (E7400) and I didn't bother with _PPS config... I'd like to get it proper if anyone can share settings with me.

I may go back to F7, I'd like to be able to switch to a headphone output so I don't wake up my son... If someone has better control of audio with F11 and 10.6.2, please let me know if I can do something to fix this...? =D

Edit: I just opened my case and plugged in my HDA connector for my Antec case. I plugged my headphones in on the front, heard a noise, went to settings -> sound -> output -> selected "headphones" and the sound is now playing!

I don't know if this post can help anyone, i'll leave my original up in case there's value, if not just consider me a narcissist.

I'm on 10.6.2, things are working well except for the random delay. No KP's yet... I was getting the odd KP on 10.6.1 with a mixture of DSDT settings and kext files...

After updating to 10.6.2 I played with some of xopher's files and got audio to work without the noticeable pop/click on boot!!! After compiling DSDT and putting a few of xopers extra kext's in my /E/E folder, it's working great!

Now I'm pumped and decide to toss F11 bios in for faster booting... Low and behold, audio is acting up now, I don't have output control and there was a slight pop on boot.

For any DSDT questions that may be directed my way: I'm running a C2D (E7400) and I didn't bother with _PPS config... I'd like to get it proper if anyone can share settings with me.

I may go back to F7, I'd like to be able to switch to a headphone output so I don't wake up my son... If someone has better control of audio with F11 and 10.6.2, please let me know if I can do something to fix this...? =D

on 10.6.2 with F11

I have 4 working output, 3 in the back (internal speaker, lineout, lineout), one in front of the case (headphone)

I just followed D00m's guide with the supplied sound kext (LegacyHDA.kext), nothing more related to sound

and all compressed into a mkext (and removed the extension folder), maybe that's the trick !

however I noticed I have more static noise than my shuttle hackintosh if I crank up my amplifier/receiver (100watt) (when moving a window with the mouse, stronger static noise comes out the speakers, also as if I could hear the hard drive spinning, I know it's due to magnetic field generated by all the components)

I wonder if a ground loop will suppress this noise...

but usually not very noticeable, I don't think that has anything to do with the bios version (but technically it could), but it's the first time I noticed it even though I've had that motherboard since june (I had the same one before since February but I stupidly fried it)

By the way I just bought the logitech dinovo keyboard, mac edition, it's a great keyboard for MacOS (not cheap but worth it, $39 + $10 shipping on macmall, overnight is 80cents more, I ordered it at 3pm it was there the next afternoon), I previously had a MX3200 from logitech (sold it on Craigslist to smooth the cost of the dinovo)

on 10.6.2 with F11

I have 4 working output, 3 in the back (internal speaker, lineout, lineout), one in front of the case (headphone)

I just followed D00m's guide with the supplied sound kext (LegacyHDA.kext), nothing more related to sound

and all compressed into a mkext (and removed the extension folder), maybe that's the trick !

however I noticed I have more static noise than my shuttle hackintosh if I crank up my amplifier/receiver (100watt) (when moving a window with the mouse, stronger static noise comes out the speakers, also as if I could hear the hard drive spinning, I know it's due to magnetic field generated by all the components)

I wonder if a ground loop will suppress this noise...

but usually not very noticeable, I don't think that has anything to do with the bios version (but technically it could), but it's the first time I noticed it even though I've had that motherboard since june (I had the same one before since February but I stupidly fried it)

By the way I just bought the logitech dinovo keyboard, mac edition, it's a great keyboard for MacOS (not cheap but worth it, $39 + $10 shipping on macmall, overnight is 80cents more, I ordered it at 3pm it was there the next afternoon), I previously had a MX3200 from logitech (sold it on Craigslist to smooth the cost of the dinovo)

The only reason why I questioned the F11 update was that after the update was applied, my keyboard wouldn't work when chameleon boot loader came up and second, the audio codec and bios options were different using different language, new programs for the onboard raid (purple sata), etc. My standard O/C settings didn't work as well, I'm back to running stock settings on my E7400...

With respect to the sound output and static noise, I could consider it plausible that HDD's etc are causing interference if you were using the front panel for headphones, but the back panel should be isolated... a change in voltage (USB mouse) shouldn't be picked up by your amplifier.

Replace the 1/8th" mini-jack to RCA(?) between your PC and Amp, it's possible the cable you have isn't properly shielded.

Did you buy the dinovo kb/mouse combo? I'm using an old Logitech cordless desktop mx3200, I can't use the mouse with Logitech Control Center in 64bit mode until they fix the bug where the mouse randomly clicks... I have an extra wave desktop at work, I'll be testing that later this week, it has Apple keys printed on the keyboard.

The only reason why I questioned the F11 update was that after the update was applied, my keyboard wouldn't work when chameleon boot loader came up and second, the audio codec and bios options were different using different language, new programs for the onboard raid (purple sata), etc. My standard O/C settings didn't work as well, I'm back to running stock settings on my E7400...

With respect to the sound output and static noise, I could consider it plausible that HDD's etc are causing interference if you were using the front panel for headphones, but the back panel should be isolated... a change in voltage (USB mouse) shouldn't be picked up by your amplifier.

Replace the 1/8th" mini-jack to RCA(?) between your PC and Amp, it's possible the cable you have isn't properly shielded.

Did you buy the dinovo kb/mouse combo? I'm using an old Logitech cordless desktop mx3200, I can't use the mouse with Logitech Control Center in 64bit mode until they fix the bug where the mouse randomly clicks... I have an extra wave desktop at work, I'll be testing that later this week, it has Apple keys printed on the keyboard.

yeah since F11 you need to go to the bios, and activate the option use legacy usb keyboard

I did test 2 differents cables with the same result... both of lower quality though (ones that comes with lcd monitor, then I have short 1/8th to rca convertor), but that same cable generated less noise on the shuttle computer

logitech doesn't sell a dinovo mac with mouse combo

so actually right now I don't have a mouse, so for now I'm using my wacom tablet, still hesitating on what mouse to get: between the vx revolution or mx revolution, but only if I find a good price

I put Chameleon RC3 on my 10.6.2 install and it seems to be a bit faster then RC2. Someone else try it out and tell me if I'm crazy or not!

I just copied the boot file to the root directory /

used rc2 installer with modded rc3 boot file by nekas

so I can't say if it's faster, the main boost was F11 bios

d00m42, i modified your com.apple.Boot.plist file to include a timeout and default partition.

If you want to automatically boot your SL install there are two key's you need to add to com.apple.Boot.plist.

First key is "Default Partition", which has a value relating to your hard drive and partition.

The second is "Timeout" which controls the number of seconds Chameleon will wait before automatically booting the default partition.

For the first key you need to know what your default partition is, press tab when Chameleon loads, copy down your snow leopards hd(?,?) id and add this to com.apple.Boot.plist... mine is hd(0,2)

The second key is up to you, my computer only runs SL and 10.5 on a backup HDD. I set it to 3 so I don't have to wait too long...

<key>Default Partition></key>
	<string>hd(?,?)</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>

Here's my com.apple.Boot.plist without the modified EFI string ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>Default Partition></key>
	<string>hd(0,2)</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>3</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
	<string>0000000000gfxstringfromefistuido0086874657356</string>

</dict>
</plist>

used rc2 installer with modded rc3 boot file by nekas

so I can't say if it's faster, the main boost was F11 bios

I'll consider myself a bit crazy... nothing new!

just adding more detail to what you wrote: :)

if osx is your "first partition" (if we don't count the hidden EFI) then all you need is timeout, no need for Default Partition string (which is probably most of us)

...if you have it on the second or higher partition like you seem to have then yeah you need that Default Partition string

just adding more detail to what you wrote: :)

if osx is your "first partition" (if we don't count the hidden EFI) then all you need is timeout, no need for Default Partition string (which is probably most of us)

...if you have it on the second or higher partition like you seem to have then yeah you need that Default Partition string

Do you all use hidden EFI-partitions? I just have my trusty Extra folder in /, as well as the boot files of course. Would I get some huge advantages using a separate partition? I mean, could SL overwrite some of these files by mistake?

Just got the Magic Mouse by the way, loving it! :P

So I tried to update to 10.6.2 before reading this thread. Bad move. I get a KP on boot because I still have the old sleepenabler. I tried booting with -x, -s, -f, etc, but keep getting the KP. Anyone know how I can boot my system to the point where I can get rid of the old sleepenabler?

That was a fun read. Great guide, but there have been a lot of additions since it came out. My head is spinning a bit.

Any chance that someone wants to burn a bit of their life and update the guide to make it complete for 10.6.2? I'm afraid I'll miss one of the changes suggested since the guide was made and wind up with a failure. Between fakesmc, dsdt patching, sleepenablers...just a little concerned.

Best,

Mike

So I tried to update to 10.6.2 before reading this thread. Bad move. I get a KP on boot because I still have the old sleepenabler. I tried booting with -x, -s, -f, etc, but keep getting the KP. Anyone know how I can boot my system to the point where I can get rid of the old sleepenabler?

Boot with the Install DVD, then using terminal remove the SleepEnabler.kext from your Extensions folder (remove the .mkext as well if you generated one).

That was a fun read. Great guide, but there have been a lot of additions since it came out. My head is spinning a bit.

Any chance that someone wants to burn a bit of their life and update the guide to make it complete for 10.6.2? I'm afraid I'll miss one of the changes suggested since the guide was made and wind up with a failure. Between fakesmc, dsdt patching, sleepenablers...just a little concerned.

Best,

Mike

The guide is OK, just remove or replace sleepenabler if you go in 10.6.2

And you can copy a new pc-efi is you want but the one provided in the guide is OK

Do you all use hidden EFI-partitions? I just have my trusty Extra folder in /, as well as the boot files of course. Would I get some huge advantages using a separate partition? I mean, could SL overwrite some of these files by mistake?

Just got the Magic Mouse by the way, loving it! :(

There is no hidden partition, you install chameleon to the MBR and the partitions boot sector then just copy the main code to /.

You can use /Extra to hold smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist (as per d00m's guide) as well as theme's etc...

The guide is OK, just remove or replace sleepenabler if you go in 10.6.2

And you can copy a new pc-efi is you want but the one provided in the guide is OK

I'm hoping to make it a little better than OK, but the reason it's only OK at the moment is because I haven't updated it in a few months... I'm a pretty busy guy at the moment!

It will be done, though.

I'm hoping to make it a little better than OK, but the reason it's only OK at the moment is because I haven't updated it in a few months... I'm a pretty busy guy at the moment!

It will be done, though.

I wasn't trying to sound ungrateful, I really appreciate all the uncompensated time you've spent, its just a bit daunting to sort through all of the changes and potential changes over the past months.

Of course, since I'm having trouble getting my dsdt patched appropriately, perhaps they guide is fine and the user is the issue here...tongue.gif

Mike