[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

My computer has been stable for days and days

and just few minutes ago it instantly rebooted on its own without warning, no KP either, as if I was pressing on the reset button... that was just weird

didn't lose power either (and the computer is connected to an APC Battery which works I know when I have power a failure, and my monitors connected to that same battery remained on, just displayed "no-input" when it did the reset)

all the computer was doing is playing some music and had two PDF open, nothing else...

and it just re-booted fine with absolutely no issues as if everything was normal.

no warning of over heating either...

that's the first time this happened (besides power lose before it was on a battery)

any idea of what could have caused that?

My computer has been stable for days and days

and just few minutes ago it instantly rebooted on its own without warning, no KP either, as if I was pressing on the reset button... that was just weird

didn't lose power either (and the computer is connected to an APC Battery which works I know when I have power a failure, and my monitors connected to that same battery remained on, just displayed "no-input" when it did the reset)

all the computer was doing is playing to music and had two PDF open, nothing else...

and it just re-booted fine with absolutely no issues as if everything was normal.

no warning of over heating either...

that's the first time this happened (besides power lose before it was on a battery)

any idea of what could have caused that?

Eliade,

I think we've both got computers which have been invaded by aliens. Mine has been 100% stable but, occasionally, one of the DVD drive doors opens and closes on its own. Also (and I'm sure I could figure this out if I wanted to), when I turn on my iPhone in the morning (it's connected via USB), it turns on the computer, too! I've come to think of it as a "feature" of my computer! :P

Eliade,

I think we've both got computers which have been invaded by aliens. Mine has been 100% stable but, occasionally, one of the DVD drive doors opens and closes on its own. Also (and I'm sure I could figure this out if I wanted to), when I turn on my iPhone in the morning (it's connected via USB), it turns on the computer, too! I've come to think of it as a "feature" of my computer! :D

Yeah, Alien invasion sounds like the most reasonable explanation, it cannot be anything else... it was too weird to be something of our world :D

edit :

today it partially froze while looking at dashboard

I was talking on skype, and that keeped working mouse moved, but couldn't get out of dashboard

I forced a reset

then few min after tested mprime, show one error on CPU1 after 2seconds of running it

then did a reset on it's own 10seconds later

powered off my PSU, booted again ran mprime, no error this time

I really don't understand

not overclocking...

could a lack of power do that

I have a 95watt quad CPU, a 8800GTS 320mb

and 6 hard drives

4 sticks of 800Mhz ram (totals to 8GB)

about 10 fans

all on a 650power supply

I thought that should be enough

two of the hard drive run very hot (62°C on average), so maybe they consume lots of power

and lack of power may result in instability randomly

but it should not be random if it was the case

it ran without a problem for at least a month.

only shutting down the PSU for 30sec fixes the problem temporarily, if I don't do it I still have the instability issue

and memtest will show errors when the system is not stable

after the 30sec with the power supply off, then memetest run without a problem

so the ram should be fine, I think

I don't get it, which part of the computer is at fault ?

Yeah, Alien invasion sounds like the most reasonable explanation, it cannot be anything else... it was too weird to be something of our world :)

edit :

today it partially froze while looking at dashboard

I was talking on skype, and that keeped working mouse moved, but couldn't get out of dashboard

I forced a reset

then few min after tested mprime, show one error on CPU1 after 2seconds of running it

then did a reset on it's own 10seconds later

powered off my PSU, booted again ran mprime, no error this time

I really don't understand

not overclocking...

could a lack of power do that

I have a 95watt quad CPU, a 8800GTS 320mb

and 6 hard drives

4 sticks of 800Mhz ram (totals to 8GB)

about 10 fans

all on a 650power supply

I thought that should be enough

two of the hard drive run very hot (62�C on average), so maybe they consume lots of power

and lack of power may result in instability randomly

but it should not be random if it was the case

it ran without a problem for at least a month.

only shutting down the PSU for 30sec fixes the problem temporarily, if I don't do it I still have the instability issue

and memtest will show errors when the system is not stable

after the 30sec with the power supply off, then memetest run without a problem

so the ram should be fine, I think

I don't get it, which part of the computer is at fault ?

Are you using vanilla power management or Voodoo mini power?

another fresh installation done. everything works great.

here what i do :

• follow nullspot usb installation guide for the install drive preparation
  • install chameleon 2 rc3 using installer package
  • restore the dvd from my sl retail dvd
  • extra folder setup
  • run pciefi installer ( cant found boot file on my install drive. the chameleon installer doesnt install the boot file i think, but not very sure)
  • replace the boot file with netkas 10.5 boot file (after i found the boot file).
  • reboot
  • start the installation
  • installation succeed
  • reboot from the usb.
  • select my sl installation disk.
  • finish the installation.
  • extra folder setup for the sl drive
  • reboot
  • whooha

;)

thanks everyone especially to d00m (for the guide) and ssnova (for the string).

wanna proceed with dual boot installation with win 7 after this.

I do have powermini

I'll try without to see,

weird thing is that it worked well for a month, I did have the problem before that... with the same setup

Unless your PSU is broken, 650 watts is plenty more than enough. Your hard drive temperature concerns me. My 3 drives are running at 28, 34 & 35 degrees. 60+ seems insanely high and, with the information at hand, that would seem to be the first suspect. Hard drives normally consume very little power (~25 watts each). If there's a problem with the drives, maybe they're sucking way too much. But that's just a guess. What are your CPU temperatures? IIRC it can't be a ventilation problem because you've got a lot of fans.

Unless your PSU is broken, 650 watts is plenty more than enough. Your hard drive temperature concerns me. My 3 drives are running at 28, 34 & 35 degrees. 60+ seems insanely high and, with the information at hand, that would seem to be the first suspect. Hard drives normally consume very little power (~25 watts each). If there's a problem with the drives, maybe they're sucking way too much. But that's just a guess. What are your CPU temperatures? IIRC it can't be a ventilation problem because you've got a lot of fans.

thanks for helping

my other 4 drives are around 33->45°C

45 probably because one of the hot one is right next to it

the second hot one is not in the hard drive rack but separated from the other (runs at 52°C)

the two hot drive are the exact same drives, WD1600JS I think

CPU is around 33°C

I think ventilation is fine

they are placed so that air get sucked from side (next and below CPU) and bottom front

and exhaust toward the back and top.

The thing that I really don't understand why does it seems so random...

and why would shutting down the PSU solve the problem for at least few days...

thanks for helping

my other 4 drives are around 33->45°C

45 probably because one of the hot one is right next to it

the second hot one is not in the hard drive rack but separated from the other (runs at 52�C)

the two hot drive are the exact same drives, WD1600JS I think

CPU is around 33�C

I think ventilation is fine

they are placed so that air get sucked from side (next and below CPU) and bottom front

and exhaust toward the back and top.

The thing that I really don't understand why does it seems so random...

and why would shutting down the PSU solve the problem for at least few days...

The other problem I've run into once or twice is a short somewhere in my wiring. It's a pain in the you-know-what to fix because you essentially have to check all you connections. But the symptom is a random reboot.

The other problem I've run into once or twice is a short somewhere in my wiring. It's a pain in the you-know-what to fix because you essentially have to check all you connections. But the symptom is a random reboot.

well the reboot was due to instability, I know that now

because it did it while running mprime (within 10seconds)

and this morning it was probably at the edge of stability and instability

but that's good to know, thanks

So far since the last crash my system is perfectly stable... (but I'm sure it will get unstable again I don't hope anymore, after doing that 10 times in 2months, there is definitely something wrong with the hardware)

I'll try 667mhz sticks I have in my shuttle and see if it happens

the Shuttle should handle the 800Mhz for a while (it will down-clock them automatically, I've done it before)

and hope that it is the problem, it would explain why I had so many bad stick when I bought them (I now suppose that they were actually not bad, just not very compatible with this board)

I had to buy 4 or 5 package before they would all be fine with my system (thanks to amazon returning them was free), so if it is the case I'll just sell them on Craigslist or ebay

I know the ram itself is fine (I was able to run memetest for 24hours with two or three pass and no error, after shutting down the PSU for a stable system)

and get some fully compatible ram with this board (I "only" need 8GB, I actually use them all :o )

(again how did it run for a month without an issue is out of my mind...)

well the reboot was due to instability, I know that now

because it did it while running mprime (within 10seconds)

and this morning it was probably at the edge of stability and instability

but that's good to know, thanks

So far since the last crash my system is perfectly stable... (but I'm sure it will get unstable again I don't hope anymore, after doing that 10 times in 2months, there is definitely something wrong with the hardware)

I'll try 667mhz sticks I have in my shuttle and see if it happens

the Shuttle should handle the 800Mhz for a while (it will down-clock them automatically, I've done it before)

and hope that it is the problem, it would explain why I had so many bad stick when I bought them (I now suppose that they were actually not bad, just not very compatible with this board)

I had to buy 4 or 5 package before they would all be fine with my system (thanks to amazon returning them was free), so if it is the case I'll just sell them on Craigslist or ebay

I know the ram itself is fine (I was able to run memetest for 24hours with two or three pass and no error, after shutting down the PSU for a stable system)

and get some fully compatible ram with this board (I "only" need 8GB, I actually use them all :) )

(again how did it run for a month without an issue is out of my mind...)

The only stability issue I ever had was similar to what you described (although 60C+ is incredibly hot for a HD, I'd be worried there). I believe my PSU is 650 watts as well, and I have 4 sticks of RAM, an E8500, and a 9800 GTX+ (3 HDs). Once or twice over a large period of time since I ironed out any remaining issues, my computer restarted with no warning, KP, or error message. It hasn't happened in quite some time, however.

I have yet to update my BIOS to F11 and try the new DSDT/kexts posted a few pages ago, I am hoping to do so soon (still running F9 I think).

Do you guys think that a DSDT made with F9 would work even if I updated my BIOS to F11?

It worked fine for me and IIRC I updated from an even older BIOS version. And, btw, I updated the BIOS on my other motherboard (the EX58), too, without any DSDT issues.

Hi

Just quick note to Eliade, JFLNYC about aliens in the pc box

I have, had? same intermittent problems

my pc:

8Gb memory

6HDs

psu was 470Watts now is 750W (changing didnt help)

thermaltake case with 7fans

gpu 9600GT

cpu E8400

In my case am fairly sure the problem is handling 8Gb memory by mem controller (replaced all modules twice with no change). also looks like new BIOS versions are making it even worst

I believe you can set up mem voltages and setting in new BIOS (F9,F11) so everything is fine but..

I personally got bored and exhausted with resetting, re-tweaking, looking at blue BIOS screen...

and downgraded my bios to f6 and.. live with AHCI 1.07 but runing with no issues for about week

lets see..

Regards to all "GUIDE.." creators and subcreators

Hi

Just quick note to Eliade, JFLNYC about aliens in the pc box

I have, had? same intermittent problems

my pc:

8Gb memory

6HDs

psu was 470Watts now is 750W (changing it didnt helped)

thermaltake case with 7fans

gpu 9600GT

cpu E8400

In my case am fairly sure the problem is handling 8Gb memory by mem controller (replaced all modules twice with no change). also looks like new BIOS versions are making it even worst

I believe you can set up mem voltages and setting in new BIOS (F9,F11) so everything is fine but..

I personally got bored and exhausted with resetting, re-tweaking, looking at blue BIOS screen...

and downgraded my bios to f6 and.. live with AHCI 1.07 but runing with no issues for about week

lets see..

Regards to all "GUIDE.." creators and subcreators

Thanks for your input

so you are saying that you beleive that the main issue here is the bios version, interesting...

but you might be right, now that I think about it the problem got worse after getting to F11... I haven't even considered that...

I'll try that as soon as the problem comes back

but by experience you have to test it for over a whole month to be sure it is the problem, my computer ran fine for over three weeks without issues then problem came back out of the sudden for no reasons

(I was trying mprime once and a while to be sure, that how I know when my system becomes unstable, shows an error within 2 seconds, otherwise no error at all)

but by experience you have to test it for over a whole month to be sure it is the problem, my computer ran fine for over three weeks without issues then problem came back out of the sudden for no reasons

(I was trying mprime once and a while to be sure, that how I know when my system becomes unstable, shows an error within 2 seconds, otherwise no error at all)

Thats exactly whats happening with my pc, and yes I agree completely, one week of stability doesnt mean anything. Reason I decided to try bios downgrading is that I heard here and there that F6 bios is good and stable for overcklocking, before I never considered that because I dont do any overcklocking (maybe a little:) Yet :] so that was sort of the last resort.

Also before I switched to F6 I tested memory in memtest with all settings on auto (excluding: mem voltage-factory default) results: hundreds of errors .. (same for F11, F10b,c, F9->) problem disappeard on F6, so yeah, will see, I probably will have heart attack if ill see damn bugs again..

Just for clarity I have been diggling and tweaking with this board and memory for about 5 months trying all sorts of test programs, changing all possible voltages, mem timmings, references, terminations etc, etc.. most of the time is all good, just once a month or so the error thingy is coming back.

not realy saying that the new BIOS versions are bad ! , I just think that memory controller in this board is tricky to set up with all banks busy espacially 4x2Gb (I think thats well known issue)

I secretely susspect that In new Bios versions auto (and not only) settings have been tighteen in the way that takes much more time and more wisdom to enslave fully loaded beast. But possibly board is easy going for less demanding users and more compatible with different brands and their components ?

I'm looking to overclock my machine.

Will i encounter any problems?

EP45-UD3R F11

9800GT

4GB OCZ Ram

Antec P180

I've had no problems at all, no kp nothing.

no as long as you kind of know what you are doing

read as much as you can

know your CPU temperature limit, stay well below the voltage limits

use temperature monitor (32bit only) all the time (start it at login)

turn the bios temp alarm

it is almost winter time, temperature won't be the same next summer, so don't forget to consider that

mprime is a great tool to test the max on load temperature your system will reach with current room temperature, and stability... you must have absolutly no error, it's a must!

----

the problem we have has nothing to do with overclocking, whether I overclock or not the problem is the same, won't be more or less often...

problem we have is maybe related to 2GB ram per slot

problem only appeared since Snow Leopard...

FYI:

I just popped a Q9550 into my EP45-UD3R, upgrading from an e6600. Crazy thing is it uses less power on idle AND under load, and I pushed it to 3.5 GHz at standard (1.21) volts. Crazy...

Oh yeah, I also didn't need to change a thing with my DSDT or KEXTs. I installed with the Lifehacker method.

-Dan

Yep, using one now. Works as expected with the update from Apple's Download page for it. Won't wake it though because I'm using an off-brand bluetooth dongle.

thanks for your answer.

Can you still wake your system via the power button or another usb mouse?

I am really curious about that :D

HELP !!

I updated my osx 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 and now my system wont run anymore.

When i boot up i get the chameleon screen, when i boot (both in 32 bit and 64bit mode) i get immediately error saying that i have to reboot. One of the lines says, "version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM...."

Can somebody please tell me if i can fix this? ( i hope so)

Thanks!!!

edit: i read on a forum that it could also been a problem with the SleepEnabler. Can somebody confirm this ?

Can i fix it by just deleting that file ?