[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

hi guys,

What about my question few posts above?

The answer is: yes. You can DSDT patch for that but it's not NECESSARY if you use the kext in /E/E. Personally, whatever is in /E/E for me is hidden and not even visible to the system, so it's good enough for me. Try that DSDT fix and let us know how it went (it should work).

could anyone recommend me a specs to build a pc to make this works with minimum price?

here the list i can found rite now.

mobo : Gigabyte EP45-UD3L/Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

processor : c2d e7500/c2d e8400

please recommend me .. budget around 400-500

Just saying hi, kind of busy these days...

I also wanted to know if there's any interesting new ?

Hey Eliade, not much is new, except for a bunch of small issues, most of which have been resolved. One question was whether to edit your DSDT to patch for the SATA controller (making it appear as Intel ESB2), or to just use the kext in /E/E without a DSDT patch. I think they're both about the same, one just takes slightly more effort to use. I haven't been able to test if the speed is affected.

could anyone recommend me a specs to build a pc to make this works with minimum price?

If your budget for the entire build and every part that goes into it is $500, I'd have to do some looking. My current computer (with one hard drive and stock cooling) can be built for around $1000 I think, with a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.

Hello d00m42

You asked for this. Care to share your opinions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...03&st=1360#

I don't exactly know what's wrong... I have the same assertion errors, using a layout-id in my DSDT with ALC889a and it works PERFECTLY... My DSMOS doesn't lag like that though. Eliade, would you take a look? (Or do you know where the assertion errors come from in AppleHDA)?

Thanks a lot finally i made the snow install but i have a problem i am using ps2 keyboard and mouse, is there any kext to fix this problem

Here are a couple of PS2 kexts I used to use with Leopard (one for mouse, the other for keyboard). Don't know if they're OK for SL, but they're worth trying.

Archive.zip

Processor	Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard	GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory	Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory 
Hard Drive	Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Graphics Card	MSI N8400GS-TD256 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready
Audio/Ethernet	Onboard
Optical Drive	LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner
Case	Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 400W(20+4 pin) Power Supply
PSU	Inc. with Case

Total cost ~ $375 (not including OS).

For that budget, I suppose graphic speed isn't an issue ( in my workstation my video card alone was $230 at the time I bought it, that's not much left for the rest in your budget)

but for a $400 -> $500 hackintosh:

box+motherboard+PSU:

I'd recommend the barebone Shuttle K45/K45se/K48 (about $100 to $150), look in my sig you'll find a perfect setup for that computer

you'll have to search for it, newegg stop selling them

->K45 (one PCI, one VGA, no front port, no DVD SLOT, you can make it have a thin dvd player slot for another 20$, just for a precut front plastic)

->K45se (same as K45 with fron port usb and sound + slot for thin dvd player), does not seem to be sold in the US, came out this year

->K48 (no PCI, one VGA, one DVI, no front port, slot for regular DVD player)

video card: "free"

intergrated

graphic wise it's a little limited, but still will play HD movies, its a GMA950

some people added a video card in the pci slot, but you need to be carefull with that since it's a 100watt PSU (good side of it, it consumes nothing, it's just a bright lightbulb)

cpu:

only support dual core (NOT QUAD), but CPU speed wise it's a very fast machine

recommended cpu is the "pentium dual core e6500" @ 2.93GHz for $95 on newegg, this cpu has virtualization technology, meaning Fusion will work better than without it... not all cpu have that...

ram:

3GB (2GB+1GB) of ram "cosair value select" 667Mhz for about $35

Hard drive:

your choice, I personally use a laptop 2.5 HDD in my shuttle so that it's is quieter

about $52 for a 320GB Western digital (5200rpm) on amazon, add 20$ if you want 7200rpm

that's about $300 to $340 for what I told you

add a dvd drive, a monitor, keyboard, mouse and youll be between $400 and $500

if you follow my guide everything works: sleep, w-o-l, full video acceleration, IDE, SATA, Gigabit ethernet, bonjour, sound ...

except the mute button on keyboard (I don't know how to fix that),

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/psystar...-enrages-apple/

Is this news going to make it any easier to use this bored or are existing bootloaders (ie. Chameleon) good enough?

I tried it on my system (ga-ep45c-ud3r || 8800GTS || q9550) and it booted with less supported than chameleon RC3 with generic dsdt. No qe/ci, no sound, no sleep, no shutdown, etc.... But of course that is my hardware not yours, so YMMV. You can try it for free to see how it works on your system. Just go to their homepage and DL the boot cd. I think it works for like 2hrs at a time or something; I was simply curious and thought I'd try it.

If your budget for the entire build and every part that goes into it is $500, I'd have to do some looking. My current computer (with one hard drive and stock cooling) can be built for around $1000 I think, with a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.

Processor Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Graphics Card MSI N8400GS-TD256 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready
Audio/Ethernet Onboard
Optical Drive LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner
Case Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 400W(20+4 pin) Power Supply
PSU Inc. with Case

Total cost ~ $375 (not including OS).

For that budget, I suppose graphic speed isn't an issue ( in my workstation my video card alone was $230 at the time I bought it, that's not much left for the rest in your budget)

but for a $400 -> $500 hackintosh:

box+motherboard+PSU:

I'd recommend the barebone Shuttle K45/K45se/K48 (about $100 to $150), look in my sig you'll find a perfect setup for that computer

you'll have to search for it, newegg stop selling them

->K45 (one PCI, one VGA, no front port, no DVD SLOT, you can make it have a thin dvd player slot for another 20$, just for a precut front plastic)

->K45se (same as K45 with fron port usb and sound + slot for thin dvd player), does not seem to be sold in the US, came out this year

->K48 (no PCI, one VGA, one DVI, no front port, slot for regular DVD player)

video card: "free"

intergrated

graphic wise it's a little limited, but still will play HD movies, its a GMA950

some people added a video card in the pci slot, but you need to be carefull with that since it's a 100watt PSU (good side of it, it consumes nothing, it's just a bright lightbulb)

cpu:

only support dual core (NOT QUAD), but CPU speed wise it's a very fast machine

recommended cpu is the "pentium dual core e6500" @ 2.93GHz for $95 on newegg, this cpu has virtualization technology, meaning Fusion will work better than without it... not all cpu have that...

ram:

3GB (2GB+1GB) of ram "cosair value select" 667Mhz for about $35

Hard drive:

your choice, I personally use a laptop 2.5 HDD in my shuttle so that it's is quieter

about $52 for a 320GB Western digital (5200rpm) on amazon, add 20$ if you want 7200rpm

that's about $300 to $340 for what I told you

add a dvd drive, a monitor, keyboard, mouse and youll be between $400 and $500

if you follow my guide everything works: sleep, w-o-l, full video acceleration, IDE, SATA, Gigabit ethernet, bonjour, sound ...

except the mute button on keyboard (I don't know how to fix that),

thanks for the suggestion mate. i'm working on it. waiting for my mobo to be delivered tomorrow. ud3r for sure.

just finish successfully install snow on my friend pc even the installation failed as stated. but i can boot and run the sl.

cant wait to make it run on my pc :)

Just saying hi, kind of busy these days...

I also wanted to know if there's any interesting new ?

Well, we're getting close to a nearly perfect DSDT on another thread. You should follow it closely. Mostly optimizing, but of course including all necessary fixes.

Here's my DSDT (with PSS for Q8400, commented out, so no worries). If you don't add/edit the PSS section, it'll use the boards p-state values. For me I only got the min and max values then (I now have 4 p-states instead), so adding them seemed reasonable. If you don't, you should be able to OC just fine, though only using max multiplier, since the DSDT seems to read the max value directly from the CPU, not the BIOS. (semiquote from mm67)

It's actually based on mm67's (InsanelyMac user) DSDT for EP45-UD3, so thanks to him. I only added a couple of lines to make the LPC load correctly on our board.

Note: Working on sleep still, at the moment it works only when 'Start up automatically after power failure' is checked in System Preferences.

By the way, I have a problem with my audio, my headphone autodetect doesn't work anymore. Does it work for you? (Please post a dsdt where you have it working in that case) - oh, and if it stops working if you try this DSDT.

Thanks!

List of fixes:

HDEF - please check if this DSDT breaks autodetect headphones for you.

LAN

PWRB

USB-fixes MasterChief, mm67, [uSB0-5 -> UHC1-6], [uSBE & USE2 -> EHCI & UHCI, plus device-id's]

DTGP

RTC

HPET

Make SATA drives be recognized as built-in, No need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, added to IDE1 and IDE2. (Reports have surfaced that this breaks hotwsapping drives though - still a quirk to work out)

AppleLPC - PX40 added Method _DSM

SBUS/EC - devices added

Working CST

Working PSS

Renamed a lot of devices to match a MacPro3,1

Removed a lot of unnecessary devices.

A lot of optimization, ie clean-up.

I'm sure I've missed something.

The DSDT works should work on any EP45-UD3R F11 board with a quad core CPU. But still, be careful, and don't blame me if it doesn't. I recommend to compare differences to your old DSDT, to make sure nothing vital is off.

Edit: Uploaded a new, even more stripped down version.

DSDT_mm67_v3_ud3r.dsl.zip

Edit:

could you give us a link to the thread where you're working on the DSDT?

As requested, the link to the thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518

Warning, don't ask stupid questions, read the whole thread (and all of the other DSDT threads) before asking. It's still a work in progress, so let's let the gurus talk and solve problems.

PS. If someone using e-SATA could try this out, it'd be great. The UD3 doesn't have e-SATA or RAID, and the DSDT is based on that board. Thanks

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...uctID=3099,3013

EP45_UD3_mm67_plus_LPC_for_UD3R.dsl.zip

Well, we're getting close to a nearly perfect DSDT on another thread. You should follow it closely. Mostly optimizing, but of course including all necessary fixes.

Here's my DSDT (with PSS for Q8400, commented out, so no worries). If you don't add/edit the PSS section, it'll use the boards p-state values. For me I only got the min and max values then (I now have 4 p-states instead), so adding them seemed reasonable. If you don't, you should be able to OC just fine, though only using max multiplier, since the DSDT seems to read the max value directly from the CPU, not the BIOS. (semiquote from mm67)

It's actually based on mm67's (InsanelyMac user) DSDT for EP45-UD3, so thanks to him. I only added a couple of lines to make the LPC load correctly on our board.

Note: Working on sleep still, at the moment it works only when 'Start up automatically after power failure' is checked in System Preferences.

By the way, I have a problem with my audio, my headphone autodetect doesn't work anymore. Does it work for you? (Please post a dsdt where you have it working in that case) - oh, and if it stops working if you try this DSDT.

Thanks!

List of fixes:

LAN

PWRB

USB-fixes MasterChief, mm67, [uSB0-5 -> UHC1-6], [uSBE & USE2 -> EHCI & UHCI, plus device-id's]

DTGP

RTC

HPET

Make SATA drives be recognized as built-in, No need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, added to IDE1 and IDE2. (Reports have surfaced that this breaks hotwsapping drives though - still a quirk to work out)

SBUS/EC - devices added

Working CST

Working PSS

The DSDT works should work on any EP45-UD3R F11 board with a quad core CPU. But still, be careful, and don't blame me if it doesn't. I recommend to compare differences to your old DSDT, to make sure nothing vital is off.

Edit:

As requested, the link to the thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518

Warning, don't ask stupid questions, read the whole thread (and all of the other DSDT threads) before asking. It's still a work in progress, so let's let the gurus talk and solve problems.

PS. If someone using e-SATA could try this out, it'd be great. The UD3 doesn't have e-SATA or RAID, and the DSDT is based on that board. Thanks

This sounds like a good project, a C2D processor version should be made!

This sounds like a good project, a C2D processor version should be made!

I'm sure you could easily replace the CPU-info in my DSDT with your own. Just edit the section 'Scope (_PR)', line #21. It ends at 'Scope (\)', line #535 in my DSDT. So now you know where to look. :)

Edit: I updated the DSDT in my previous post, it's now even more stripped down - still preserving the same functionality of course.

Thanks!

List of fixes:

LAN

PWRB

DTGP

RTC

HPET

SBUS/EC - devices added

Working CST

Working PSS

Edit:

I just bought an EP45-UD3R.

I use e-sata and have RAID installed (windows drives) on Intel ports.

My system is running on the purple ports.

Can I help somehow?

I just bought an EP45-UD3R.

I use e-sata and have RAID installed (windows drives) on Intel ports.

My system is running on the purple ports.

Can I help somehow?

Hm, well I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong), that you can install Snow Leopard, or OS X when having the drives connected to the purple ports. They're basically IDE, and not supported, at least not natively. But if you manage to get SL installed, and by using the DSDT I posted earlier, is still able to use both RAID and e-SATA, then let us know. :)