[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

My osx is working perfectly, no panic etc. but i cant get my sound to work. I tryed the files in the patch but doesnt seams to work. In a previous installation i got the sound to work but, dont ask me how is did this ;).

Is there a guid or something?

Thx

You did patch your dsdt manually? To support sound? It's all in "SL Pack -> DSDT Stuff -> How to patch DSDT"

(Carefully) Read the "How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions.pdf" and you should have sound no problem. It does feel a bit overwhelming at first, but really, it's just copy-pasting and replacing some text in the original dsdt. It'll take maybe 20 minutes, but it's worth it. No more fiddling with kexts or other drivers.

Have fun.

On a side note, has anyone been experiencing KP's related to TV-out? More specifically, DVI-to-HDMI (1080p TV)? I think I've isolated my KP's to this, not getting them whenever the TV, or second display as it shows up in preferences, is turned off. Edit: I believe hope my CPU-fan being disabled by a hanging molex-cord could have something to do with my stability problems.

On a side note, has anyone been experiencing KP's related to TV-out? More specifically, DVI-to-HDMI (1080p TV)? I think I've isolated my KP's to this, not getting them whenever the TV, or second display as it shows up in preferences, is turned off.

you tried mprime?

we have absolutely the same setup (besides ram)

F11 UD3R 8800GTS 320MB

I'm running on dual HD monitors (two 1920x1080)

HDMI and DVI are basically identical in terms of wiring and signal, HDMI just has more wires to carry sound that's all, so it is exactly as if you were connecting it to a second monitor like my setup.

Has anyone gotten 5.1 sound to work? It seems I only have two outputs working in SL, the reas and the fronts and i can only select one to output soud. The sub/center output does not seem to do anything.

I'm trying to do the "Audio MIDI Setup" thing to get 5.1 but it's just not happening.

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone?

Gents,

There is now a DSDT fix to have OS X recognise your SATA devices natively and see them as Intel ESB2 ACHI. Once you have added this, you can remove the need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /E/E.

I have followed the steps and can confirm my box is working without the blockstorageinjector.kext :D

The fix is located http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1253758

Credit is due to the original posters.. Taken from blackosx incredible DSDT howto post!

Originally found in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=177497

If you want detailed instructions for this, please see above link and scroll down to his FILES section, download -> DSDT Guide for GA-EP45-DS3L v1.4 (1.69MB) Last updated 13th September 2009 - 09:38

Read it, scroll down to very bottom with details on the fix

Enjoy!

I wanted to post this here as well...as I'm racking up the hours I've spent with this board to just get into the SL installation. I have an EP45-UD3L Bios F7...I bout it 2 days ago...and have about 22 hrs worth of time logged into trying to just get into the SL installation :)

Net-net, below is the screenshot of where the install just dies...

I've tried using a boot CD and Retail DVD (I bought it at BestBuy)...

I've tried the SL_Installion 0.4 method...

I've tried the "snow-installer" method...

And my own method...I'm not new to the hack seen :)

I got SL working on my previous P5E-VM HDMI on first attempt...45 minutes total worth of work.

I have 10.5.6 running on the EP45-UD3L off of a USB drive...and off of a SATA drive...and off of a USB Flash drive...

I have Vista running on the EP45-UD3L...

I've tried the motherboard settings in all the EP45-UD3"x" threads...and from my own experience...

I've unplugged all my drives other than the single USB drive containing the install dvd and single wiped clean SATA drive...

...and to boot I've not found anyone having the same or similar problem installing...I get pretty far and it just dies...no KP...but just dies.

OK gurus, friends, and noobs :) what say 'ye?

Am I completely missing something simple...is my board just NG? Should I try another brand/model?

I bought this EP45-UD3L to upgrade my P5E-VM HDMI because I wanted a full size ATX board and bigger case (ventilation)...other than this motherboard no hardware has changed from my previous 10.6 rig, which worked OK (no sleep/wake though).

Thoughts?... :P

thanks,

/mdg.

post-56202-1255042549_thumb.jpg

you tried mprime?

we have absolutely the same setup (besides ram)

F11 UD3R 8800GTS 320MB

I'm running on dual HD monitors (two 1920x1080)

HDMI and DVI are basically identical in terms of wiring and signal, HDMI just has more wires to carry sound that's all, so it is exactly as if you were connecting it to a second monitor like my setup.

Nope, haven't tried mprime yet. Might give that a go later, see how my system holds up to that. Could you post your DSDT, I'd like to have a look at it. Just to make sure mine isn't totally wrong. Might make a new one just for the heck of it. :-)

What did you use to extract your DSDT btw? And did you do it in OS X, sudo/non sudo etc. What settings do you have enabled in BIOS? Just want to get everything exactly the same.

Thanks

Edit:

Just opened my case to check on things, and let in some cool air. Mprime really got my temps up (talking 80c here). Well, seems a cable had gotten itself all tangled up with the CPU-fan. *hits head in keyboard*

Now, after fixing this, I can run mprime torture test no problem, temps 56 max. No errors so far.

I've decided to redo my dsdt anyway, I've already gotten as far as to fix hdef, lan and gfx. What other fixes do you have/recommend - and where can I find them?

Edit2: At the moment I've added these fixes to my dsdt: cmos, hdef, lan, gfx, pwrbn, usb (external -> built-in).

Hopefully this was the root to my seemingly random KP's :-)

I wanted to post this here as well...as I'm racking up the hours I've spent with this board to just get into the SL installation. I have an EP45-UD3L Bios F7.

Seems there are a number of us with problems with this board. Which processor are you using? Mine is an E7500.

Hi there Thanks to everyone I have almost a perfect setup! Sound/network/Video works! cpu power Managment is done via dsdt ---> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631 (I had to inject Mac Pro 3,1 cst).

Sleep is also working, well everything is ok, BUT :-) .... Geekbench is still telling me that I have a hackintosh instead of a Mac pro 3,1!! I didn't have this problem when y setup was MacPro 2,1, but for powermanagment I had to switch to MacPro 3,1. Any one have any idea why???

Hi there Thanks to everyone I have almost a perfect setup! Sound/network/Video works! cpu power Managment is done via dsdt ---> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631 (I had to inject Mac Pro 3,1 cst).

Sleep is also working, well everything is ok, BUT :-) .... Geekbench is still telling me that I have a hackintosh instead of a Mac pro 3,1!! I didn't have this problem when y setup was MacPro 2,1, but for powermanagment I had to switch to MacPro 3,1. Any one have any idea why???

Have you compared your temps before and after removing nullcpupowerm..kext/disabler.kext? I was at least getting a lot higher temps without it. Which I thought was unacceptable.

@mdg

Disable your onboard NIC in the bios and try to boot again. See if it actually will boot.

Let us know what happens - :D

I did that 6 times...and even put in another PCIe x1 controller (Marvell Yukon) which works 100% OOB. Same problem...

BBBUUUTTT...I figure out the problem last night... :D

It wasn't getting stuck at all. I was using an ATI 4870 in this rig, and I wasn't seeing the UI that was actually running (and yes, I had GraphicsEnabler=No)...all I was seeing was the text where the boot process was ending and UI would normally come up.

For gigles I put in my 9800 GTX+ and voila...I saw a UI.

30 minutes (and 2 days) later I have a fully working 10.6.1 install :)

So...if your install and/or boot process hangs and it doesn't seem like anythig is wrong, consider the fact that nothing might be wrong and you're just not seeing the UI...you need to look at the graphics card and see if you have it configured properly.

xopher ---> my cpu temp are the same with dsdt speedstep and mac pro cst, than with nullcpu...

I juste followed the step of eliade and the Intel speed step tread on X-labs.

Also thanks to Eliade, he showed me the way :-)

I stil have Hackintosh in geekbench and also a little bug with CPU-i showing me only 3 processor instead of 4(I checked with geekbench the 4th cpu is active as my score is still around 7000)

PS: My DSDT for educational purpose, It's for the EP45-DS3R with a Q6600 overclocked at 3.2Ghz with DSDT GFX(9800gt), Intel speedstep(Mac Pro CST), USB Fix, etc....

dsdt.aml.zip

xopher ---> my cpu temp are the same with dsdt speedstep and mac pro cst, than with nullcpu...

I juste followed the step of eliade and the Intel speed step tread on X-labs.

Also thanks to Eliade, he showed me the way :-)

I stil have Hackintosh in geekbench and also a little bug with CPU-i showing me only 3 processor instead of 4(I checked with geekbench the 4th cpu is active as my score is still around 7000)

PS: My DSDT for educational purpose, It's for the EP45-DS3R with a Q6600 overclocked at 3.2Ghz with DSDT GFX(9800gt), Intel speedstep(Mac Pro CST), USB Fix, etc....

Can you post a link to the Speed Stepping post you're referring to? Thanks. Also are you running Snow Leopard, your sig says 10.5.5?

post-153037-1255091296_thumb.png

I've added the usb-fix to my dsdt, but still get the 'controller unloaded'-error while booting. Have I added it correctly, or missed something? Screen of System Profiler/USB above, and the dsdt I'm talking about under.

dsdt_hdef_lan_gfx_pwrb_usbehc12.dsl.txt

Thanks!

here is my dsdtdsdt.dsl.zip

I don't what fixes I added to that one, I think it's the minimum

meaning everything needed for a good setup

wake from keyboard, "usb warning removal" fix, sound, lan, etc

I installed it using an external USB HD installing chameleon on it and restoring the disk onto it....

I haven't check the 'controller unloaded'-error during boot, I'll see if I have that later...

My unstable system problem reappear, I have no fringgin' idea what the problem is

after that happens if I ran memtest at boot, it was full of error, if I shutdown the PSU for a minute and try memetest ram is stable again.... samething with mprime...

This time the system KP, and I coudn't even boot in OSX it woudl KP during OSX boot... (explained by the high instability of the ram)

...at first I thought it was the dsdt, turnout no matter what method I do to create it I have the problem, so dsdt is not the problem

... then thought it was VMware fusion...still may be the issue...I'll have to test more

...I tried upping the voltage on the ram and still got the same error in memetest, so not a lack of voltage

...tried lowering speed to 667mhz instead of 800mhz and still had the problem

So I don't think the ram itself is the problem, it is the direct reason why the system is unstable, but I think it's more in the ram controller... maybe I just have a bad motherboard, but why does it get fixed after a PSU shutdown, I don't get it

I wonder if it is something in Snow Leopard that does the problem or if it's more a hardware issue

it took a week for SnowLeopard to make the problem appear...

I'll try othe ram for a while and see if its the just a ram incompatibility...

Then if I get the unstable system again I'd have to use Leopard for a while and see if I get the problem... if I do than I'll now it's hardware... I'll just sell it on ebay and warn the buyer about it...

Just wanted to say that I'm having the SAME exact problem. I installed on a EP45-DS3L with a nVidia 9400 exactly per this guide. I swear that I was able to boot -v -x32 when I first installed 10.6, but after I installed and re-installed a bunch of things (I'm thinking possible culprits are the Developer's tools or Vmware Fusion 2), I couldn't boot into -x32. When I boot 64-bit mode in verbose, I see that same exact message about AppleIntelCPUManagement timing out but it boots up fine anyway.

I only care about booting 32-bit mode so that I can run Vmware and from what I can tell Vmware Fusion 3, which comes out in October, works in 64-bit mode. But there's something nagging me about my otherwise perfect vanilla set-up.

I ended up fixing this problem. Before installing SL, I was running a Leopard install with a bunch of the kexts (Disabler.kext, JMicronATA.kext, etc.) directly in /S/L/E. After installing SL on another drive, I used the Migration Assistant utility to copy my data over and that copied all those old custom kexts over into my SL's /S/L/E. It was one of those kexts that were preventing me from booting in 32-bit mode; I could boot in 64-bit mode just fine since the system recognized them as not being compatible with the 64-bit kernel and didn't even try to load them.

After deleting (after backing up) all the kexts that my Console said wouldn't load in 64-bit mode and rebuilding Extensions.mkext, I was able to reboot in 32-bit mode fine.

I wanted to post this here as well...as I'm racking up the hours I've spent with this board to just get into the SL installation. I have an EP45-UD3L Bios F7...I bout it 2 days ago...and have about 22 hrs worth of time logged into trying to just get into the SL installation :)

Net-net, below is the screenshot of where the install just dies...

I've tried using a boot CD and Retail DVD (I bought it at BestBuy)...

I've tried the SL_Installion 0.4 method...

I've tried the "snow-installer" method...

And my own method...I'm not new to the hack seen :)

I got SL working on my previous P5E-VM HDMI on first attempt...45 minutes total worth of work.

I have 10.5.6 running on the EP45-UD3L off of a USB drive...and off of a SATA drive...and off of a USB Flash drive...

I have Vista running on the EP45-UD3L...

I've tried the motherboard settings in all the EP45-UD3"x" threads...and from my own experience...

I've unplugged all my drives other than the single USB drive containing the install dvd and single wiped clean SATA drive...

...and to boot I've not found anyone having the same or similar problem installing...I get pretty far and it just dies...no KP...but just dies.

OK gurus, friends, and noobs :) what say 'ye?

Am I completely missing something simple...is my board just NG? Should I try another brand/model?

I bought this EP45-UD3L to upgrade my P5E-VM HDMI because I wanted a full size ATX board and bigger case (ventilation)...other than this motherboard no hardware has changed from my previous 10.6 rig, which worked OK (no sleep/wake though).

Thoughts?... :)

thanks,

/mdg.

Likely smbios/AppleTyMCEDriver issue. UD3L can be tricky like that. Check out the following and correct the issue either by editing your smbios.plist or removing the offending kext.

Link

first thankx for this amazing guide

after installing done with all steps i got lan+audio working but i have problems with my display

i guess my xfx 9600 gso 768mb isnt working that way it should

i tried many efi for alot of cards but still i cant change my resolution or refresh rate

and when i do any change to display i get a blank blue screen .........

isnt there anyway to make it work perfectly and how ?

i have 10.5.8 running and iy detected the card with nvinject but couldnt do that

by the way my snow work with 64bit mode (default) so it only accept 64bit kext

my specs:

ep45-ud3r rev 1.1 (f11)

intel c2q q6600 @2.4 ghz

xfx 9600 gso 768mb ddr2

2x 1tb western digital sata 2

*Posted this in the root of the this forum too, for the people who aren't following this thread :D

Big thanks to d00m42! Your guide was very helpful!

I now have a FULLY functional Snow Leopard! ;)

(Themed! Bonjour works! And it's FAST and STABLE!)

System Specs: :)

InteL Q9650 Quad Core @ 4.15GHz - Gigabyte UD3R - GeForce GTX 295 OC'd @ 756/1630/1252

128BG Corsair P128 SSD - 300GB Velociraptor - 4GB G.Skill DDR2@ 1155MHz - 24" Dell 2408 - CPU & GPU Watercooled

PCP&C 860w Power Supply - Razer Deathadder & Razer Lycosa - Dual-Boot Windows 7 x64 (Gaming)

th_MyDesktop-1.jpg

Other than following d00m42's guide and the USB guide there:

eVGA GTX 295 ---> EFI String in com.apple.Boot.plist + NVGTX295.Fix.kext

Trial and error from here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147149)

ALC889a ---> ALC889a.kext + DSDT

This guide (http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-alc889a-with-analog-5-1-surround-t3746/)

Network Card + Bonjour ---> RealtekR1000.kext + DSDT

This thread! (forgot where I got the kext)

Wish I could help others with their problems, but I doubt I could be any help. This install didn't go smoothly by any means, it took me about 30 straight hours or so of reinstalling, trial and error, etc...Just keep google'ing your problems and you'll eventually make like I did. The biggest problem I ran into was that the installer kept freezing at SMC_ACPI_something something TIMED OUT....it turned out it was my video card that was the problem. After trying many video card kexts and several EFI strings I finally found one that worked, and I have tattoo'd that EFI string on my arm because it was the happiest moment of my life (just kidding about the tattoo, haha)

*The file I have included below is my ENTIRE Extra folder without the Extensions.kext which I generated with the Kext Utility after SL was up and running. I used this exact folder to get the installer working, and I am using these exact files right now.

Good luck to you all! :D

*Posted this in the root of the this forum too, for the people who aren't following this thread :)

Big thanks to d00m42! Your guide was very helpful!

I now have a FULLY functional Snow Leopard! :)

(Themed! Bonjour works! And it's FAST and STABLE!)

System Specs: :rolleyes:

InteL Q9650 Quad Core @ 4.15GHz - Gigabyte UD3R - GeForce GTX 295 OC'd @ 756/1630/1252

128BG Corsair P128 SSD - 300GB Velociraptor - 4GB G.Skill DDR2@ 1155MHz - 24" Dell 2408 - CPU & GPU Watercooled

PCP&C 860w Power Supply - Razer Deathadder & Razer Lycosa - Dual-Boot Windows 7 x64 (Gaming)

th_MyDesktop-1.jpg

Other than following d00m42's guide and the USB guide there:

eVGA GTX 295 ---> EFI String in com.apple.Boot.plist + NVGTX295.Fix.kext

Trial and error from here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147149)

ALC889a ---> ALC889a.kext + DSDT

This guide (http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-alc889a-with-analog-5-1-surround-t3746/)

Network Card + Bonjour ---> RealtekR1000.kext + DSDT

This thread! (forgot where I got the kext)

Wish I could help others with their problems, but I doubt I could be any help. This install didn't go smoothly by any means, it took me about 30 straight hours or so of reinstalling, trial and error, etc...Just keep google'ing your problems and you'll eventually make like I did. The biggest problem I ran into was that the installer kept freezing at SMC_ACPI_something something TIMED OUT....it turned out it was my video card that was the problem. After trying many video card kexts and several EFI strings I finally found one that worked, and I have tattoo'd that EFI string on my arm because it was the happiest moment of my life (just kidding about the tattoo, haha)

*The file I have included below is my ENTIRE Extra folder without the Extensions.kext which I generated with the Kext Utility after SL was up and running. I used this exact folder to get the installer working, and I am using these exact files right now.

Good luck to you all! :D

Do you think you can post your ram settings you have in your bios. I think i have the same set but im having trouble running it stable on this board. Thanks

Do you think you can post your ram settings you have in your bios. I think i have the same set but im having trouble running it stable on this board. Thanks

You OCing the RAM? If not, just run it at whatever the stock timings on the box are (probably 5-5-5-18), or looser if they continue to be unstable. Make sure to manually set the voltage as per the box spec as well, undervolted RAM can be very unstable and cause issues.