[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

its seems very ok right now, I just Disabled EIST and c2/c4 was disabled.

I dont know how to thank you.

Thank u very very much. :)

you can try running geekbentch (trial is free)

with and without EIST to see the difference, which should prove that it was indeed the problem

i have another problem.

It seems like everytime i log on to my machine the color is inverted.

When im at the login screen it seems to be normal but once i log on the who screen becomes inverted.

Any ideas ?

Here is a pic since people will ask.

img0010gc.jpg

i have another problem.

It seems like everytime i log on to my machine the color is inverted.

When im at the login screen it seems to be normal but once i log on the who screen becomes inverted.

Any ideas ?

Here is a pic since people will ask.

LOL

that's part of OSX

there's a shortcut to do that

just go to system pref / keyboard and look for the shortcut to undo it

probably called "invert colors"

I succesfully installed osx on my UD3R but a few things dont work:

My audio doesn't work, sometimes my osx panics, and can't install updates.

Does somebody have a clue what the nature of this problem is.

Thx for the tut!

Sound works fine now, but have a buzz over my right channel and wan i scroll or do something it increases, even when the volume is 0 Can somebody tell me how to fix this, or are there more people with this problem ?

Hello, and thanks for the great information.

By following the threads from all of you my system is running almost perfect.

Problem 1

I need to boot in with -x32 every time or I lose network (I installed the realtek1000).

In a straight boot with no flags the ethernet connection does not get recognized at all, so I have no internet and no local network access etc.

Problem 2

When I boot in with -x32 everything works fine, however, my network is discovered as (new) every time I boot in. My other macs do not do this. They boot in and the network is all set and ready to go.

Here's my info:

GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Fresh retail SL install with all updates.

I've tried to reinstall the network drivers several times with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Problem 1

I need to boot in with -x32 every time or I lose network (I installed the realtek1000).

In a straight boot with no flags the ethernet connection does not get recognized at all, so I have no internet and no local network access etc.

Problem 2

When I boot in with -x32 everything works fine, however, my network is discovered as (new) every time I boot in. My other macs do not do this. They boot in and the network is all set and ready to go.

Here's my info:

GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I've tried to reinstall the network drivers several times with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Get a trendnet gigabit pci card for 15 bucks, problem solved, tiger direct

LOL

that's part of OSX

there's a shortcut to do that

just go to system pref / keyboard and look for the shortcut to undo it

probably called "invert colors"

Found the issue. it was under Universal access.

Something about black and white stuff.

Thanks.

So how about 10.6.2 coming out soon.

Hi folks, I am pretty new to Mac OS X but I am a quick learner (I hope!).

I can run iATKOS v7 with all my hardware working fine and have Snow Leopard installed on another partition (Damn, this OS is a bargain!) and booting fine, it just needs the "quirks" fixing.

I am currently trying to get it running with as fewer hacks as possible which appears to involve editing the DSDT.aml file.

My graphics card is working OK (Both outputs) and I can use the ethernet port (On it now!) but so far I haven't got Audio enabled without a VooDooHDA.kext after following the How to Patch DSDT section.

If anyone can spare the time to maybe point out what I could be doing wrong I would be very greatful.

My hardware (Not overclocked when running Mac OS X and only 1 SATA drive attached currently)...

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (E0 / 510x8.5 / 4.33GHz) *

* Cooler: Thermalright TrUE Black 120 & 2x Noctua NF-P12's (Arctic Cooling MX-2) *

* MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev. 1.0 - BIOS F10e) *

* RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 4GB (4x1GB) - 5-5-5-15 *

* GPU: ASUS GeForce 7600GS (512MB) *

* HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATAII (500GB x6) *

* OD: Pioneer DVR112 DVD±RW / Plextor Premium *

* PSU: Seasonic M12 - 600W *

Problem 1

Problem 2

Here's my info:

GA-EP45-UD3R

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

why don't you follow the tutorial ?

in the dsdt part it will show you how to get Lan working in both 32 or 64bit...

I did not see the USB in the DSDT for the wake on no device found fix? The patch I have seen floating around applies to each USB0,1,2,4,5,6 and the EUSB? Maybe this fix below is just for the ICH9r southbridge boards or does it apply to the ICH10R boards to? if so I did not see the fix in the DSDT?

Add this script below the "Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)" section (below the closing brace!)

[/code			  Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x3A, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
[code]

Basically you change the left most address 0x3A as below.

For example change

USBE from 0x3A to 0x3C

USB0 from 0x3A to 0x34

USB1 from 0x3A to 0x35

USB2 from 0x3A to 0x36

Skip USB 3

USB4 from 0x3A to 0x37

USB5 from 0x3A to 0x38

USB6 from 0x3A to 0x39

Problem 1

Problem 2

Here's my info:

GA-EP45-UD3R

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I can tell you exactly whats going on here. The driver isn't written for 64-bit so it's not going to load. Ditch the realtek1000 driver and get the one from Realtek's website. It says 10.4 and 10.5 but it works fine in 10.6. It's not 64-bit and tech support said it isn't high in their priority list. You'll have to live in 32-bit land until then. It should fix most of your problems including Bonjour, provided you added the right patch to your DSDT.

Get a trendnet gigabit pci card for 15 bucks, problem solved, tiger direct

Better yet just download the right driver.

Sound works fine now, but have a buzz over my right channel and wan i scroll or do something it increases, even when the volume is 0 Can somebody tell me how to fix this, or are there more people with this problem ?

You might want to see if you have a working ground at the outlet. You can buy a $5 outlet tester to see if it's wired correctly. Sounds like you have a ground loop problem.

Hey guys,

Has anyone had a problem with their Windows Vista / Snow Leo partitions losing time sync..

When i boot into Snow-i see the correct time and when i reboot into Vista - time is off by around 5 hrs.. i need to hit update everytime...

Anyone know of a fix??

Thanks for your help...

I can tell you exactly whats going on here. The driver isn't written for 64-bit so it's not going to load. Ditch the realtek1000 driver and get the one from Realtek's website. It says 10.4 and 10.5 but it works fine in 10.6. It's not 64-bit and tech support said it isn't high in their priority list. You'll have to live in 32-bit land until then. It should fix most of your problems including Bonjour, provided you added the right patch to your DSDT.

You might want to see if you have a working ground at the outlet. You can buy a $5 outlet tester to see if it's wired correctly. Sounds like you have a ground loop problem.

you are right about the driver

but the tutorial has a perfect fix for lan modding the DSDT !!!

working lan and bonjour in both 32 and 64, nobody is stuck in 32bit (unless you need vmware fusion)

what's the point of having a tutorial if you don't use it...

Hey guys,

Has anyone had a problem with their Windows Vista / Snow Leo partitions losing time sync..

When i boot into Snow-i see the correct time and when i reboot into Vista - time is off by around 5 hrs.. i need to hit update everytime...

Anyone know of a fix??

Thanks for your help...

problem is that one uses UTC (universal time) the other uses local time

the good news is that I can tell you that there is a fix!

bad new I don't know how (no vista or xp on my machine), I saw it though, it's even somewhere in this thread, your best bet it to try google:

well there you go, some fixes, google will give you more maybe:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...iversal_for_RTC

or

http://swmirror.org/drupal/?q=node/32

or go to win 7, it now handles the time like osx does ...

working lan and bonjour in both 32 and 64, nobody is stuck in 32bit (unless you need vmware fusion)

bad new I don't know how (no vista or xp on my machine), I saw it though, it's even somewhere in this thread, your best bet it to try google:

or

Thanks so much Eliade.. I appreciate the quick response...

And yes - waiting for Win 7:))

I did not see the USB in the DSDT for the wake on no device found fix? The patch I have seen floating around applies to each USB0,1,2,4,5,6 and the EUSB? Maybe this fix below is just for the ICH9r southbridge boards or does it apply to the ICH10R boards to? if so I did not see the fix in the DSDT?

Add this script below the "Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)" section (below the closing brace!)

[/code			  Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x02)
					 {
						 "device-id",
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x3A, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				 Return (Local0)
			 }
[code]

Basically you change the left most address 0x3A as below.

For example change

USBE from 0x3A to 0x3C

USB0 from 0x3A to 0x34

USB1 from 0x3A to 0x35

USB2 from 0x3A to 0x36

Skip USB 3

USB4 from 0x3A to 0x37

USB5 from 0x3A to 0x38

USB6 from 0x3A to 0x39

I also posted the fix in this thread and works on UD3R (i.e. with ICH10R), copied it from onther thread but made the explanation a little easier

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1243352

Thanks so much Eliade.. I appreciate the quick response...

And yes - waiting for Win 7:))

;)

or

Bonjour works as long as you use the ifconfig method, DSDT alone won't fix it entirely. I'd say either solution isn't perfect. Which is the lesser of two evils?

So you're right no one is stuck in 32-bit.

Thanks! that worked.

For the other guy that asked if I followed the tutorial - Yes, I followed it from scratch 4 times. I have edited my dst multiple times and had various Ethernet issues each time.

I also ordered the trendnet gigabit card as well - should be in by Sat. I'll give that a shot too. I just wanted to get the on-board one working. This solution worked. Thanks a ton.

One other issue - Maybe you have a thought on. I bought an apple wireless keyboard and mouse. They work great with the system. I just still need my other usb keyboard plugged in - in order to boot up, as I need to hit enter to load my osx and bluetooth isn't set until the os boots. Any ideas on how to get it to boot straight in and not have to hit enter to boot? I'm sure there must be a switch or something.....

Thanks! YOU ROCK

Thanks! that worked.

For the other guy that asked if I followed the tutorial - Yes, I followed it from scratch 4 times. I have edited my dst multiple times and had various Ethernet issues each time.

I also ordered the trendnet gigabit card as well - should be in by Sat. I'll give that a shot too. I just wanted to get the on-board one working. This solution worked. Thanks a ton.

One other issue - Maybe you have a thought on. I bought an apple wireless keyboard and mouse. They work great with the system. I just still need my other usb keyboard plugged in - in order to boot up, as I need to hit enter to load my osx and bluetooth isn't set until the os boots. Any ideas on how to get it to boot straight in and not have to hit enter to boot? I'm sure there must be a switch or something.....

Thanks! YOU ROCK

Add these params to your com.apple.Boot.plist and you should be good to go. Replace the Default partition string with your boot drive. You can get the right address with the Disk Utility app by selecting the drive and hitting "Command + I"

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

post-16858-1254942877_thumb.jpg

Everything works REALLY well. No KP's, but I am having trouble getting my ethernet to work with network sharing. I can connect to the internet without issue, but sharing files across to multiple computers is not working. Any ideas?

Sure either use the solution described here.

Or use the drivers here and boot into 32-bit.

That's providing you're trying to connect via Bonjour. If not, connect directly via IP address, you don't need Bonjour for that. Of course be sure you have sharing enabled with the right permissions. But that's a different tutorial.

I'm having problem booting SL with my EP45-UD3L after following this guide. Leopard boots fine with the same BIOS config on a separate partition.

Below is where the boot halts when booting with -v -x32. I can supply pictures of my BIOS settings, but I believe this might be related to some SMC config?

Any clues as where to look?

Edit: running with an ATI 4870, no other extension cards. I followed the guide to the letter except for the nvidia part.

post-7264-1254965300_thumb.jpg

I'm having problem booting SL with my EP45-UD3L after following this guide. Leopard boots fine with the same BIOS config on a separate partition.

Below is where the boot halts when booting with -v -x32. I can supply pictures of my BIOS settings, but I believe this might be related to some SMC config?

Any clues as where to look?

Edit: running with an ATI 4870, no other extension cards. I followed the guide to the letter except for the nvidia part.

Just wanted to say that I'm having the SAME exact problem. I installed on a EP45-DS3L with a nVidia 9400 exactly per this guide. I swear that I was able to boot -v -x32 when I first installed 10.6, but after I installed and re-installed a bunch of things (I'm thinking possible culprits are the Developer's tools or Vmware Fusion 2), I couldn't boot into -x32. When I boot 64-bit mode in verbose, I see that same exact message about AppleIntelCPUManagement timing out but it boots up fine anyway.

I only care about booting 32-bit mode so that I can run Vmware and from what I can tell Vmware Fusion 3, which comes out in October, works in 64-bit mode. But there's something nagging me about my otherwise perfect vanilla set-up.

depending on what you use booting in 32bit may either be "-x32" or "arch=i386"

putting both shouldn't matter, but at least you'll be sure to boot in 32bit

both of you try that, maybe it will help

I don't know what your exact problem is though...

unless you are doing the error some people did is installing leopard on the first partition with chameleon on the first partition

and installing snow leo on a second partition on that same hard drive

if so, search for my post within the last 10 pages about that...

basically you are booting snow leo using chameleon for your leopard system (older boot file won't boot snow leo)...

My osx is working perfectly, no panic etc. but i cant get my sound to work. I tryed the files in the patch but doesnt seams to work. In a previous installation i got the sound to work but, dont ask me how is did this :(.

Is there a guid or something?

Thx