[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

so your extra/extensions looks exactly like the one from the pack

I looked at your dsdt your sound is fine there

and still nothing in the system preference...

shutdown and sleep works, you have gray HD icons (not orange)?

using chameleon rc2 + modified boot file, or at least the PCEFI installer from the pack?

only Snow leopard is installed on that HD, and it's on the first partition (if more than one)?

you are not booting using the USB install HD/flash drive anymore, it is disconnected, booting only using the Snow Leopard partition?

if you answer yes to everything

I can't help you then

it's as if you didn't have a 889A but something else, weird

good luck

so your extra/extensions looks exactly like the one from the pack

I looked at your dsdt your sound is fine there

and still nothing in the system preference...

shutdown and sleep works, you have gray HD icons (not orange)?

using chameleon rc2 + modified boot file, or at least the PCEFI installer from the pack?

only Snow leopard is installed on that HD, and it's on the first partition (if more than one)?

you are not booting using the USB install HD/flash drive anymore, it is disconnected, booting only using the Snow Leopard partition?

if you answer yes to everything

I can't help you then

it's as if you didn't have a 889A but something else, weird

good luck

i dont think that it makes a big difference but im usin chameleon 2 rc3, i dont remember specificly modifying the boot file but maby i did it unknowingly when i was following the install guide guide. chameleon works fine. chameleon is installed on the SnoLeo drive, which is the only partition on that HD, however i have 2 other HDD's in my comp with Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 RC 64-bit. all the HD icons are gray, not orange (if by orange you mean if they are recognized as removable storage). i havnt tested sleep yet but shutdown works fine. the install USB drive is removed. maby ill try a reinstall. i was just going through the guide in my head, on my first boot off the SnoLeo drive i used the "-v -x32" arguments, was i supposed to make it so that it automatically boots up with those arguments everytime, or was it just a one time thing?

i dont think that it makes a big difference but im usin chameleon 2 rc3, i dont remember specificly modifying the boot file but maby i did it unknowingly when i was following the install guide guide. chameleon works fine. chameleon is installed on the SnoLeo drive, which is the only partition on that HD, however i have 2 other HDD's in my comp with Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 RC 64-bit. all the HD icons are gray, not orange (if by orange you mean if they are recognized as removable storage). i havnt tested sleep yet but shutdown works fine. the install USB drive is removed. maby ill try a reinstall. i was just going through the guide in my head, on my first boot off the SnoLeo drive i used the "-v -x32" arguments, was i supposed to make it so that it automatically boots up with those arguments everytime, or was it just a one time thing?

Did you disconnect the windows drives before the install? Think you need too!

See step 6. in troubleshooting

yes it is strongly recommended to disconnect windows drive, due to windows drive corruption and KP in Snow Leo

but his system seems fine besides sound which is weird...

seth19933, I suggest you start all over maybe you'll have better luck next time

(if that makes you feel better, I reinstalled Snow Leopard about 15 times in less than two weeks.... that's at the very beginning when we didn't have everything sorted out yet... :) )

yes it is strongly recommended to disconnect windows drive, due to windows drive corruption and KP in Snow Leo

but his system seems fine besides sound which is weird...

seth19933, I suggest you start all over maybe you'll have better luck next time

(if that makes you feel better, I reinstalled Snow Leopard about 15 times in less than two weeks.... that's at the very beginning when we didn't have everything sorted out yet... :) )

ya, i disconnected the drives before i started the install, never got any errors from windows nor one single KP in SnoLeo. well tx for all the help you guys, and im not being sarcastic, lol. two last questions, the first one being, if i enable read/write on NTFS drives from SnoLeo, can i sucessfuly install chameleon on it, because i would prefer to have my windows 7 drive the primary one. and also, i understand changing the bios settings to use AHCI, but what is the point of changing the settings for: CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), C2/C2E State Support, CPU EIST Function, C4/C4E State Support, and Virtualization Technology?

I turned on my machine today, all of a sudden my network is not working.

I am not getting a IP address.

Took the cable plugged it in my laptop and it seems to be working fine. So i know its not the cable nor the internet.

Any suggestions here ?

I turned on my machine today, all of a sudden my network is not working.

I am not getting a IP address.

Took the cable plugged it in my laptop and it seems to be working fine. So i know its not the cable nor the internet.

Any suggestions here ?

try powering off the power supply for 30secs

if that doesn't solve it, how about a static ip address... as a desktop machine being static should not be a problem (just be sure to set up your router to not be allowed to assign the same dhcp address as your static one)

Is there like a setting that i can put the whole Mac back to factory defaults instead of reinstalling everything?

that's what timemachine is here for...

(well that's one of its use)

I swear to god last night i tried everythg possible i made it static and it was still not working and all of a sudden it started to work.

I was so frustrated cause i thought i had to reinstall and it wouldve been hard cause i dont have Leopard instaled anymore.

Thanks/

I swear to god last night i tried everythg possible i made it static and it was still not working and all of a sudden it started to work.

I was so frustrated cause i thought i had to reinstall and it wouldve been hard cause i dont have Leopard instaled anymore.

Thanks/

if you make an 8gb usb drive with chameleon (and a copy of your current extra folder) and a restore (without erasing) install disk of Snow leopard onto it you won't have to install leopard ;)

I'm about to pull the trigger on the parts to build a new system but I have a couple of questions. I was originally going to follow the guide here which uses a similar mobo (P version) but the guide on this thread and supporting comments gives me a little more confidence that I'll be able to get help if something goes wrong. I've built many machines but this will be my first mac build.

1. My first question is about the processor. Does it matter which P75 processor I use? I was looking at the Q9550 quad processor. The other guide recommends the Q9650. I assume that it won't matter for compatibility but I just wanted to check here first because I really don't want to spend the extra bill for the small bump up in speed.

2. The other guide also recommends a add-in ethernet card. Did they just not do the homework to get the on-board one working or do I truly need the add on?

3. Would there be any problem using a SATA WD raptor drive? I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work but just wanted to check to see if there was any OS limitation that would prohibit me from getting the extra speed benefit.

I think that's all my prepurchase questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the parts to build a new system but I have a couple of questions. I was originally going to follow the guide here which uses a similar mobo (P version) but the guide on this thread and supporting comments gives me a little more confidence that I'll be able to get help if something goes wrong. I've built many machines but this will be my first mac build.

1. My first question is about the processor. Does it matter which P75 processor I use? I was looking at the Q9550 quad processor. The other guide recommends the Q9650. I assume that it won't matter for compatibility but I just wanted to check here first because I really don't want to spend the extra bill for the small bump up in speed.

2. The other guide also recommends a add-in ethernet card. Did they just not do the homework to get the on-board one working or do I truly need the add on?

3. Would there be any problem using a SATA WD raptor drive? I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work but just wanted to check to see if there was any OS limitation that would prohibit me from getting the extra speed benefit.

I think that's all my prepurchase questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1.any cpu will do

2. built in is fine

you can still buy a card later

I'm personally using built in and very happy with it

3. it's just a HD... so you won't have any problem with it

get some known compatible ram... this board is a little picky....

I like corsair, which I have but I don't recommend the one I have... having some issue lately, the ram is fine, passes memtest often enough that I know they are physically fine (always passes with only one stick connected), but I think it needs a little more juice than factory default for 100% stability when I have 4 sticks installed

I have two packages of these, even though they work I don't recommend those (not until I trully have figured out my problem): TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

1.any cpu will do

2. built in is fine

you can still buy a card later

I'm personally using built in and very happy with it

3. it's just a HD... so you won't have any problem with it

get some known compatible ram... this board is a little picky....

I like corsair, which I have but I don't recommend the one I have... having some issue lately, the ram is fine, passes memtest often enough that I know they are physically fine (always passes with only one stick connected), but I think it needs a little more juice than factory default for 100% stability when I have 4 sticks installed

I have two packages of these, even though they work I don't recommend those (not until I trully have figured out my problem): TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just buy the Patriot ram that the guy in the other guide recommended as it seems to work for him. I'm sure I'll be back on this thread as soon as my hardware arrives.

First off I want to thank everyone that helped! Doom42 for this wonderful guide and Insanely Mac as a whole!!!

System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

8GB DDR2 RAM

2x 320GB HD

eVGA nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 1GB

Install Method: 2 Hard Drives. 1 blank, 1 with leo

Doom's guide. SL installed within a Leo setup, via image file.

My special steps to this guide.

Used 3 outs 2 ins audio kext from the SL pack to get my digital working. the green legacy kext. (ALC889A)

Used a DSDT.aml file posted by crash alert at this forum:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183502

(Tried to manually create a dsdt file but i kept getting errors)

(COPIED VIDEO EFI STRINGS DIRECTLY FROM MY LEO INSTALL, NO PROGRAM, SIMPLE COPY AND PASTE!)

after install, and modifications to the new drive

first boot with -v -x32.

went through setup quickly, after intro video, to get to spot light before the panic.... too late, still panic!

2nd reboot, -v -x32, setup was done, went directly to desktop, got to spotlight and hid my drives under privacy.

still got another panic.

3rd reboot -v -x32, went back to spotlight and took the privacy off my drives and typed a word in the search box on the upper right hand corner of the spotlight window to index my drives... NO PANIC.

4th reboot. Normal boot, no boot flags. STABLE NO PANICS!!!! UP FOR ALMOST 12 hours. did some updates, installed all my programs. everything seems stable! SL is flying!!! xbench looks good, everything seems to be in working order.

Once again. Thank everyone for all the hard work! Hope this helps someone!

Here is my extra folder!!! (dsdt file, legacy kext, etc...)

Remember to change your EFI STRINGS for video card, UUID's for hard drive, SMBIOS, and appropriate kexts!

this audio kext is for the alc889a on the EP45-UD3P, digital out works!

extra.zip

post-447593-1254616784_thumb.png

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just buy the Patriot ram that the guy in the other guide recommended as it seems to work for him. I'm sure I'll be back on this thread as soon as my hardware arrives.

Mushkin ram works fine and it's usually cheap

First off I want to thank everyone that helped! Doom42 for this wonderful guide and Insanely Mac as a whole!!!

System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

8GB DDR2 RAM

2x 320GB HD

eVGA nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 1GB

Install Method: 2 Hard Drives. 1 blank, 1 with leo

Doom's guide. SL installed within a Leo setup, via image file.

My special steps to this guide.

Used 3 outs 2 ins audio kext from the SL pack to get my digital working. the green legacy kext. (ALC889A)

Used a DSDT.aml file posted by crash alert at this forum:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183502

(Tried to manually create a dsdt file but i kept getting errors)

(COPIED VIDEO EFI STRINGS DIRECTLY FROM MY LEO INSTALL, NO PROGRAM, SIMPLE COPY AND PASTE!)

after install, and modifications to the new drive

first boot with -v -x32.

went through setup quickly, after intro video, to get to spot light before the panic.... too late, still panic!

2nd reboot, -v -x32, setup was done, went directly to desktop, got to spotlight and hid my drives under privacy.

still got another panic.

3rd reboot -v -x32, went back to spotlight and took the privacy off my drives and typed a word in the search box on the upper right hand corner of the spotlight window to index my drives... NO PANIC.

4th reboot. Normal boot, no boot flags. STABLE NO PANICS!!!! UP FOR ALMOST 12 hours. did some updates, installed all my programs. everything seems stable! SL is flying!!! xbench looks good, everything seems to be in working order.

Once again. Thank everyone for all the hard work! Hope this helps someone!

Here is my extra folder!!! (dsdt file, legacy kext, etc...)

Remember to change your EFI STRINGS for video card, UUID's for hard drive, SMBIOS, and appropriate kexts!

this audio kext is for the alc889a on the EP45-UD3P, digital out works!

extra.zip

Sounds GREAT! You had a similar setup to my E8500/UD3R, so the instructions worked as they should have : )

Anyways just to let everyone know, the LAN power issue between Windows XP and OS X WASN'T solved by having "LAN Boot ROM" on in the BIOS (not sure why it didn't work, it should in theory), and I guess the XP w/ Chameleon issue is really only fixable if I install Chameleon on the XP disk and I don't really feel like it's worth all of the trouble. My one question is, however, if I get Windows 7 sometime can I upgrade my XP install to 7 and have the boot-through-Chameleon working? Will XP be able to be upgraded directly to 7?

Sounds GREAT! You had a similar setup to my E8500/UD3R, so the instructions worked as they should have : )

Anyways just to let everyone know, the LAN power issue between Windows XP and OS X WASN'T solved by having "LAN Boot ROM" on in the BIOS (not sure why it didn't work, it should in theory), and I guess the XP w/ Chameleon issue is really only fixable if I install Chameleon on the XP disk and I don't really feel like it's worth all of the trouble. My one question is, however, if I get Windows 7 sometime can I upgrade my XP install to 7 and have the boot-through-Chameleon working? Will XP be able to be upgraded directly to 7?

no

but workaround exist:

http://www.blogsdna.com/3217/step-by-step-...o-windows-7.htm

Im trying to install osx on my new pc hackintosch, but i have some problems. I did al the steps, rented a mac book @ school, dowloaded al the packs, and was tring to install it via the usb method. I can follow it until step 7 i dont know how the DSDT part works, i patched one via the rented laptop but when installing it, it wont work. Sow i tried the DSDT in the pack and the installer worked, i got the language screen and formated the disc. Then i choose the disk where i want to install my osx. but after a few minutes i get the message that i had to manauly restart my pc. I did that but now im stuck with the message "Verifying DMI POOl DATA..." and cant do nothing. Can please someone help me ?

THX!

ps.

i have also a question, can somebody tel me how to boot with the -v -x32 flags on first boot.

using:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz FSB1333

Gigabyte PCI-e GeForce 9800GT OC 1GB 1xDVI/HDMI

2x kingston 2GB DDR2 PC6400 CL6.0

I got out of the Verifying DMI POOl DATA. screen and back in the installer but still cant succesfull install, it says that i have to restet manual after few minutes

-----------

I succefully installed osx with the DSDT file provided in the sl pack, only my sound doesnt work my ethernet do. Can somebody tell me how to fix this ?

---

OSX Worked fine, but after a restart im back in Verifying DMI POOl DATA screen

Can somebody tell my what my problem is ?

BONJOUR Restart script/app

(only if using bonjour fix from the SL pack)

on my computer bonjour stopped working after some time, meaning in my case no more shared folder and printer (connected to another hackintosh), I believe after using Fusion, ifconfig gets messed up

the fix is easy, you just have to stop then start ifconfig (located in your bonjour folder)

(or restart the computer)

if that ever happen to you

I made a little app that does it for you, using the applescript found in blackosx's pack (thread for DS3L)

I made it nice so that could put it in your dock if it happens often

you can put that app anywhere you want

restart_bonjour.app.zip

but you have change the path and write your password :

- just do a right click, show package content on the app and go /Contents/Ressources/Scripts/

- open the script with scripteditor or textedit

- change the path that points to your ifconfig (from the bonjour fix folder in the SLpack)

I've set it to /Extra/bonjour/

-and replace the XXXX with your user password

-save and close

double click the app to start or restart bonjour

it should take effect within 10 seconds

hi,

every body talks about GA-EP45-UD3P board, what about GA EP45-EXTREME, is it not good one for hackintosh?

I have that one. and you know how to run mac on this very fast?

I have intel core 2 quad 9650 3.00 GHz and Nvidia 9800GTX+ graphic, 8 gig OCZ Ram PC8500, 750W power supply.

but its not that fast, for example when I run Garage Band, when I play some traks on it, the cpu goeas down and the sounds is crashing, I have External sound car Edirol Ua-25, dont know why?

and I cant play for example Call of duty 4 on it, its too lagy, graphic seems to be not very good on it.

if know what I must do plzz tell what can I do?

and u know Im living in Norway, I cant find GA-EP45-UD3P board, its not comming to norway any more :) .

sorry for my bad english.

thanks for ur attention

Hadi

hi,

every body talks about GA-EP45-UD3P board, what about GA EP45-EXTREME, is it not good one for hackintosh?

I have that one. and you know how to run mac on this very fast?

I have intel core 2 quad 9650 3.00 GHz and Nvidia 9800GTX+ graphic, 8 gig OCZ Ram PC8500, 750W power supply.

but its not that fast, for example when I run Garage Band, when I play some traks on it, the cpu goeas down and the sounds is crashing, I have External sound car Edirol Ua-25, dont know why?

and I cant play for example Call of duty 4 on it, its too lagy, graphic seems to be not very good on it.

if know what I must do plzz tell what can I do?

and u know Im living in Norway, I cant find GA-EP45-UD3P board, its not comming to norway any more :D .

sorry for my bad english.

thanks for ur attention

Hadi

maybe your computer gets stuck in speed step

you can try disableing c2/c4

and

EIST (aka speedstep)

hi again.

you know I don't know any thing about (disableing c2/c4) and EIST (aka speedstep), you mean overcolocking?

I don't have any experience of these things. can you give me some links or guides, how to do this?

can you tell me what is the best Mother board for hackintosh right now?(what is the model)

thank you

maybe your computer gets stuck in speed step

you can try disableing c2/c4

and

EIST (aka speedstep)

hi again.

you know I don't know any thing about (disableing c2/c4) and EIST (aka speedstep), you mean overcolocking?

I don't have any experience of these things. can you give me some links or guides, how to do this?

can you tell me what is the best Mother board for hackintosh right now?(what is the model)

thank you

speedstep is an automatic downclocking when idle

onload it should go back to full speed, but may not in macos, depends on many little things

c2/c4 is similar in some way, it actually shutdown some part of the cpu when idle

you'll see those option in the bios (second or third item in the main bios menu)

both are located under the same page

it will clearly say "c2/c4"

and "EIST"

set them both to disabled, don't touch anything else