[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Could I get some help? My system is running GREAT so thanks again to everyone. I have been running 32bit since day one and I am trying to get 64 bit up and running but seem to be having a problem. Currently my com.apple.boot.plist is set with the flag arch=i386 (using Chameleon 2 RC3). This works great. But if I remove the flag, the system never boots... it just hangs with the apple logo. Any idea what the problem might be? Here are the kexts I am using in Extra/Extensions:

fakesmc.kext (10.5.6)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

JMicronATA

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

Thanks for any information!

EDIT: Nevermind! I figured it out. Turns out my mkext was built for i386 instead of x86_64. Sorry! It is working now with the 64 bit kernel.

Thanks guys, I had the flag right but I used mkext tool to make my extensions.mkext, and it slimmed it for 32 bit only. I remade it for 64 bit and everything worked again!

Yep, remember that with SL x64 you need 64-bit extensions, and a 64-bit mkext : ) Good job!

I have be suffering from the CMOS reset from the every first day that I have SL on my GA-EP45-UD3RL, I modified DSDT.dsl by TextMate to :

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))

Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

but CMOS still keeps resetting, anyone could give a solution, thanks!

I have be suffering from the CMOS reset from the every first day that I have SL on my GA-EP45-UD3RL, I modified DSDT.dsl by TextMate to :

Device (RTC)

{

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

but CMOS still keeps resetting, anyone could give a solution, thanks!

right below that piece of code there is a ATT1 section that looks just alike

try changing that 4 into a 2 too, I didn't think that was needed but who knows...

Eliade is correct. Both "length" entries should be changed to 2.

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I did exactly you told me to, like this:

Device (RTC)

{

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

})

Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

the output is the same: CMOS check error, then reset CMOS...

is there any thing I should check beside this? I'm really bored by this issue. I appreciate all helps.

Yes we have. See the first post, there was too many kext in the previous pack but now, the pack had been slimmed down and front mic works :)

Really??

I try, I think all of them - no one have front mic working. What exact kexts you are using for front mic????

I ran the application DSDTSE and it had a dropdown with three fixes I applied. DTGP, HPET and RTC. Everything seemed to go into place on my Board.

I am unsure how to get either my 7300GT 256mb or 9800GT 512mb Nvidia Graphics cards into the DSDT using DSDTSE? I saw one hack in there for Nvidia Desktop if that is the one?

Right now I used EFIStudio to create the string for my 7300GT and al the tests work fine as mentioned above except Chess. I get a Kernel Panic backtracing to GeoFroce(6.0.2) and dependancies NVDaresman (6.0.2), IONDRVSupport (2.0), IOPCIFamily (2.0) and IOGraphicsFamily (2.0).

If I can incorporate the graphics into the DSDT and remove the EFI string from the plist I would like to try that.

I already tried removing the EFI string and adding GraphicsEnabler=Yes into the string under the kernel flags in plist and I got no acceleration?

I used Chameleon RC2 installer and just replaced the RC2 boot with RC3 boot from RC3 since RC3 is not an installer.

Another thing I am trying to do and cannot succeed is to mount the EFI partition. tried several way using mount command and diskutil mount. I am guessing I cannot mount it while I am booted into that Drive?

Not sure how to add the Lan nor Wireless BCM4329 Linksys card I have into the DSDT? I just added the ID for the wireless to the BCM4311 plist within the IO80211Family.kext

Thanks for trying to answer my questions

Thanks for the guide, my install was one of the easiest yet. Only other tool I used was the x58 Mobo Patch installer to automate some of the tasks in your guide by using your files to install.

I am using the ep45 ud3r and a nvdia 9500 1 gig- core quad 8200. Everything worked on the first boot-amazing job to all who added and the community!!!!!!!

Thanks again Snow leopard is fast and my $169 retail box set is a bargain with the new applications.

Oh it's not really that hard, there's a guide somewhere

I'm using RC3, works nice. You can create mkexts for both 10.5 and 10.6 if you want to use your Chameleon partition to boot both. The only problem I have is that if I don't hit a key on the boot screen RC3 will ignore my boot.plist.

I'm using RC3, works nice. You can create mkexts for both 10.5 and 10.6 if you want to use your Chameleon partition to boot both. The only problem I have is that if I don't hit a key on the boot screen RC3 will ignore my boot.plist.

Is that a bug?