[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

no I didn't get c-states, that why I used MP3.1 c-states...

Strange...

are you talking about the EP-45-UD3R with bios F11

atrr al c-states enabled in your bios?

the speedstep thread (page 3) noted that if we add the ICH10R to the device list, temperature would be cooler and supposedly openhaltrestart would not be needed (haven't tested that yet...)

I tried it, temps are still high, about 7-10 degrees more than with nullcpupowermanagment

so you did get c-states from your dump?

what is the file called?

I'm on ep45-ud3r F11, optimised default (besides ahci), c states and speed step are enabled

when you tried my legacy kext, did you get that extra option in energy saver about "start up automatically after power failure"? just to be sure that the kext actually loaded

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20040311

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu1Cst-3001-INTL-20040311

etc..

make sure you enabling all c states in bios before dumping

including c4 states

and yes, I did get the extra option in energy

but the temp are unaffected

the only thing that lower them down is disabling cpupowermanagment

etc..

including c4 states

how do you disable it

by using the cpupowermanagment from the sl pack ?

because I tried that, but that would mess up the speed step

my geekbentch score would drop down from 7000 to 5500, because it was not returning to a full x9 multi when it was under load, only two out of four... but didn't have the c-state at the time, I'll try again later

awesome guide!!! i consider my self a total noob when it comes to running osx on a pc but i now have a perfectly functioning hackintosh, even my gtx 260 works. now this my be a noobish question but can i just update to 10.6.1 or is there a specific procedure i have to go thru?

Most everyone seems to be reporting no problems just using Software Update. I've done it on 3 machines with absolutely no problems.

I've got something odd going on I can't figure out. On My SL machine, in finder where all the computers on the network are listed, my firewire card shows up.

I'm not sure how or why, but it wasn't there last week. Now it shows up there and I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

Any ideas?

look at the finder preferences ...

Maybe you can drag it out of the window like a dock icon.

Disable it in your network pref if it's there

keeza, did you remove NullCPUPowerManagement, if not do so, it goes against your ssdt in the dsdt

have a question, in your energy saver do you have the "restart after power failure" line (or something like that)

I added c-states (using ones form MacPro3.1)

dsdt.dsl.zip

CPU-I really is tricky on my system will KP during boot

I don't know how I managed to make it work before, maybe because I had NullCPUPowerManagement along with it

but I found msrtools for SL in the speedstep thread (displayed cpu multi is half of what it is, but at least it works with out KP my system)

-------------------

About the heat problem I had:

well I didn't know about appleLPC until I decided to read through the Speedstep thread

using that kext (by adding 3a16 to it) makes my startup much faster (compared to when it's not loaded), my temperature are much cooler

I used MP3.1 c-states and my linux dump ssdt, I didn't change the kext in S/L/E where we are supposed to set to MP3.1 if we use MP3.1 c-states, it didn't matter, it is the way it was,( which is MP4.1)

and p-states and c-states are definitely working very well

for EP45-UD3R, or any board using ICH10R 3a16

I want a vanilla system, so I made a legacy appleLPC kext (it's the first one I made so if you know about how to make legacy kext don't hesitate to double check the plist and let me know) , anyway it's loading and working the way I made it (you know that it is loaded when the "Start up automatically... " option appear in the energy saver, you must check it, and reboot, sleep will/should/did work after the reboot, as of now I still have openhaltrestart, I'll try without it later)

of course I don't use NullCPUPowerManagement anymore, but I don't know if it will lower temperature if your are not using speed step in dsdt

Edit: sleep does not work with it for me when dsdt has c-states, without sleep works, but temperature is higher...

AppleLPC for ICH10R 3a16 (runs from extra/extensions):

LegacyAppleLPC.kext.zip

Enjoy

An update on my speedstep attempt:

Compiled DSDT, no errors or problems.biggrin.gif

I've removed disabler kext but my temps have gone through the roof!

Havent installed AppleLPC as not sure if its compatible with my system.

I've attached some pics and my SSDT for review

Is there a way of testing this to see if the speedstepping is working? i.e. is there a utility which stresses the processor?

Think the hard bit is done but not quite working yet.

Any suggestions anyone?

Speedstep.zip

I decided to remove the MP3.1 cstates, temperature was great, but I wanted to watch a movie tonight, and couldn't, sound and image would lag contently, as soons as I removed cstates, problem was gone...

but temperature is back up to 47 idle instead of 37

with or without appleLPC there's no difference now that cstate are not there, sleep now works again

An update on my speedstep attempt:

Compiled DSDT, no errors or problems.biggrin.gif

I've removed disabler kext but my temps have gone through the roof!

Havent installed AppleLPC as not sure if its compatible with my system.

I've attached some pics and my SSDT for review

Is there a way of testing this to see if the speedstepping is working? i.e. is there a utility which stresses the processor?

post your full dsdt.dsl, I'll yake a look at it to see if you got everything right

Think the hard bit is done but not quite working yet.

Any suggestions anyone?

that part of ssdt seems just fine, but you will need to keep everything else that came with the ssdt

well if you have "start up automatically after power failure", in energy preference appleLPC is already loaded...

as I said I noticed the appleLPC lower my temps only if I also have c-states added to the dsdt

do you know your geekbench score when speedstep was disabled in the bios with dsdt that had no ssdt added to it... if so compare it to what you have now

in my case it was 7000

but if the system doesn't handle speedstep well I would lose 1500 points (5500), that's when I had speedstep enabled in bios along with NullCPUPowerManagement (with or without ssdt added to dsdt), because only two core would go up to x9, the other two would stay at x6 hence the loss in performance...

download mprime to stress your cpu

(download link at step 3, 32 and 64 bit in separate download)

http://mersenne.org/freesoft/

to check speedstep: (32bit kernel only)

cpu-i (if it doesn't KP your system at boot, so have a backup way to boot your system, I used my usb HD with Snow leo installation disk and chameleon, to boot back into my system and remove the kext that comes with cpu-i) works well to show you at what step your cores are running, I think my system would not KP when I had NullCPUPowerManagement along with it...

when idle status window will show the multi drop when speedstep is active

so for now when I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement I use MSRtools for SL

it will only show you two cores, but if your geekbench is back to normal , then you know your four cores will have all the multi back to get maximum speed under load....

found it in another thread:

MSR_Tools.app.zip

Question,

The guides talk about installing this on a separate partition so you would be then running Leo & SL. Is there a guide that walks you through upgrading from Leo through to SL without loosing any of the programs etc I have with me Leo install without having to install SL on a separate partition?

Stable install here after several hours of testing.

TWO major and confusing problems needed resolution, here are my solutions for anyone else who meets them, based on exactly following steps in this guide.

-- 1. DO NOT rename your computer <string>MacPro4,1</string> in smbios.plist. Leave it as <string>MacPro3,1</string> The quide says you can change the name. DO NOT.

If you rename it as MacPro4,1, you will get a kernel panic when you attempt to boot. This is documented by several people. This can be overcome by removing the offending .kext, but it is best solved by leaving the name 3,1

-- 2. I fixed and compiled the DSDT, using all corrections in the guide. It compiled with zero errors zero warnings. But Snow Leopard ethernet would not connect to the ISP and obtain a DNS.

Not only that, but after running the new SL install, and encountering the connection problem, thereafter I could not connect to ISP and get DNS with any of my other OSX installs on the same computer, all on different disks.

To solve this, and reestablish a connection in the other OSX 10.5 installs, I had to reset BIOS to IDE, boot with Win XP, then reboot into my existing OSX 10.5 partitions. This seemed to clear a corrupted ACPI table.

The fix to this was removing the code in DSDT for LAN, this was added per quide the DSDT:

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x04)
                           {
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (0x01)
                               {
                                   0x01
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x09)
                               {
                                   "ethernet"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

It compiles perfectly without this code section. I then used the this new DSDT (without LAN code, above), and added RealtekR1000.kext to S/L/E. With this setup, network works perfectly. My network connections are working, Airport on my audio system is working.

Success! And it seems quite stable so far, testing lots of software.

I decided to remove the MP3.1 cstates, temperature was great, but I wanted to watch a movie tonight, and couldn't, sound and image would lag contently, as soons as I removed cstates, problem was gone...

but temperature is back up to 47 idle instead of 37

with or without appleLPC there's no difference now that cstare are not there, sleep now works again

that part of ssdt seems just fine, but you will need to keep everything else that came with the ssdt

well if you have "start up automatically after power failure", in energy preference appleLPC is already loaded...

as I said I noticed the appleLPC lower my temps only if I also have c-states added to the dsdt

do you know your geekbench score when speedstep was disabled in the bios with dsdt that had no ssdt added to it... if so compare it to what you have now

in my case it was 7000

but if the system doesn't handle speedstep well I would lose 1500 points (5500), that's when I had speedstep enabled in bios along with NullCPUPowerManagement (with or without ssdt added to dsdt), because only two core would go up to x9, the other two would stay at x6 hence the loss in performance...

download mprime to stress your cpu

(download link at step 3, 32 and 64 bit in separate download)

http://mersenne.org/freesoft/

to check speedstep: (32bit kernel only)

cpu-i (if it doesn't KP your system at boot, so have a backup way to boot your system, I used my usb HD with Snow leo installation disk and chameleon, to boot back into my system and remove the kext that comes with cpu-i) works well to show you at what step your cores are running, I think my system would not KP when I had NullCPUPowerManagement along with it...

when idle status window will show the multi drop when speedstep is active

so for now when I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement I use MSRtools for SL

it will only show you two cores, but if your geekbench is back to normal , then you know your four cores will have all the multi back to get maximum speed under load....

found it in another thread:

MSR_Tools.app.zip

OK so I can conclude that my Speedstep part of my DSDT should run....but doesn't yet. It has compiled without errors which is a good start.

So gonna take a step backwards and make sure my BIOS settings are correct - could you confirm that they are correct?

I don't have "start up automatically after power failure", in energy preferences so I assume that my AppleLPC Kext isn't loading so need to find out why.

i will run a Geekbench test when I can confirm my BIOS settings are correct for speedstepping.

I have two backup partitions just in case...... ^_^

post-452164-1253273376_thumb.jpg

OK so I can conclude that my Speedstep part of my DSDT should run....but doesn't yet. It has compiled without errors which is a good start.

So gonna take a step backwards and make sure my BIOS settings are correct - could you confirm that they are correct?

I don't have "start up automatically after power failure", in energy preferences so I assume that my AppleLPC Kext isn't loading so need to find out why.

i will run a Geekbench test when I can confirm my BIOS settings are correct for speedstepping.

I have two backup partitions just in case...... :)

Not sure if you've seen this article on SpeedStepping:

http://www.ztex.de/misc/c2ctl.e.html#c1

You can also track some SpeedStepping effort here, but it's not Snow Leopard. The principles are the same.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1171825

SpeedStepping shouldn't be a problem. However I think you'll run into a wall if you try to get C-States going via DSDT alone. I ended up using VoodooPower.kext which I don't has been ported to 64-bit yet.

As far as your "start up automatically after power failure" problem take a look at my attached DSDT I have no problems. You shouldn't need the AppleLPC.kext for that.

kdawg_dsdt.dsl.zip

Stable install here after several hours of testing.

TWO major and confusing problems needed resolution, here are my solutions for anyone else who meets them, based on exactly following steps in this guide.

-- 1. DO NOT rename your computer <string>MacPro4,1</string> in smbios.plist. Leave it as <string>MacPro3,1</string> The quide says you can change the name. DO NOT.

If you rename it as MacPro4,1, you will get a kernel panic when you attempt to boot. This is documented by several people. This can be overcome by removing the offending .kext, but it is best solved by leaving the name 3,1

I just want to reiterate this good point. The offending kext, btw, is AppleTyMCEDriver. If you get this KP, you'll know why.

-- 2. I fixed and compiled the DSDT, using all corrections in the guide. It compiled with zero errors zero warnings. But Snow Leopard ethernet would not connect to the ISP and obtain a DNS.

Not only that, but after running the new SL install, and encountering the connection problem, thereafter I could not connect to ISP and get DNS with any of my other OSX installs on the same computer, all on different disks.

To solve this, and reestablish a connection in the other OSX 10.5 installs, I had to reset BIOS to IDE, boot with Win XP, then reboot into my existing OSX 10.5 partitions. This seemed to clear a corrupted ACPI table.

The fix to this was removing the code in DSDT for LAN, this was added per quide the DSDT:

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x04)
                           {
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (0x01)
                               {
                                   0x01
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x09)
                               {
                                   "ethernet"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

It compiles perfectly without this code section. I then used the this new DSDT (without LAN code, above), and added RealtekR1000.kext to S/L/E. With this setup, network works perfectly. My network connections are working, Airport on my audio system is working.

Success! And it seems quite stable so far, testing lots of software.

There may be an alternative to installing RealtekR1000.kext to S/L/E. With my EX58-UD3R I initially couldn't get LAN to work without that kext. But once I installed the package below from Realtek, I was able to do so (with the correct settings in DSDT, of course). It may work on an EP45-UD3R or it may not. I post it FWIW.

RTGMac_v2.0.3.zip

As far as your "start up automatically after power failure" problem take a look at my attached DSDT I have no problems. You shouldn't need the AppleLPC.kext for that.

kdawg_dsdt.dsl.zip

I don't care for the option "start up automatically after power failure" but is just an easy/fast way to know if that AppleLPC is loaded.

the device id for the ud3r is not in the kext, so by default on the ud3r it is not loaded...

having pstates+cstates my idle temperature I very high, having appleLPC loaded reduced my temps by about 10C, and speedstep would still work, but I sound and image would lag/shuttler (used MP3.1 c-steps)

so I removed cstates, which in that case appleLPC ia not needed, but temperature is high again

I tried VoodooPowerMini, worked great, excepted that idle temperature are also high

so only way is to use NullCPUPowerManagement to have low temperature, then speedstep is either messed up (geekbentch score lower by 1500 point, when I don't have any p-steps and c-steps, but speedstep is enabled in bios) or doesn't work (stays at multi 9x all the time, that's when I have p-steps in dsdt)

So I don't know what to do anymore and don't see the point of speeds step, with c-steps my system is slow for movies, without them (only p-steps) temperature is higher at idle compared to no speedstep at all...

the whole point of this is lower temps at idle (i.e. lower power consumption), isnt it?

etc..

including c4 states

I have only one c-states option in the bios called C1E and it's enable, is that what you were talking about

but I didn't those cst files

wonder if the stuttering during the movie was due to the fact I wasn't using my own c-states dump (which I don't know how to get)

did you use ubuntu ti get those files?

just by using the command posted earlier?

You should have c2 and c4 options in bios as well

I've got the files through linux and through everest in windows (They are Identical)

I looked at the bios screen posted above, I have the same screen but without c2 and c4, I only have C1E

I think it is cpu dependent, my Q6600 is to old (time to change....i wish)

I'm now in ubuntu live cd (I don't have windows, only in vmware)

I reinstalled F11 (WOL works from full shutdown, I'll investigate what SL is doing to disable that feature, I think the lan fix is responsible)

just did a new dump and I still don't have cst files

by the way is it possible to get dsdt from linux, I want to create the cleanest dsdt possible ?

edit for however is interested found a how to extract it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1...;highlight=dsdt

indeed the dsdt is slightly different than the one extracted from osx

the fix I did to get wake from keyboard , is not needed here, the dsdt from linux has everything it was always supposed to be, so no change for that, I wonder what other stuff is different (I believe for the better)

Having kernel panics at startup. I get to the desktop, and can do some basic stuff, but after 15 sec to 1 minute i get this error:

11890.jpg

Also, i can't seem to get my HD 4870 to work properly. No resolution choises.

And my hard drives are not showing on my desktop. In finder they show as shared folders.

Any ideas?

KDawg,

Thanks for that, I've had a look at your DSDT.

Off Topic,

You have two entries for your ethernet, LAN0 LAN1

Are you using On Board Lan or a separate PCI Lan card?

If onboard I might try that as I have GIGE (not sure what the difference is)