[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I need help to solve my HDD was lock after new installation of SL 10.6 my storage from 10.5.8 was lock I try to open it but can not, herewith was some attached pic.

Waiting for any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

I fixed the issues already by:

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname\ thirdname\ fourthname\ fifth etc.

sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname\ thirdname\ fourthname\ fifth etc.

sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname\ thirdname\ fourthname\ fifth etc.

sudo chmod -N /Volumes/firstname\ secondname\ thirdname\ fourthname\ fifth etc.

with a leo kernel, I really would use it on Leo

Leo is still a wonderful system, that I would use over any windows...

Yeah that's what I figured... Issue though, I used the dfe-iso for boot-132, and even though it booted up fine, when I tried to boot off the Leopard DVD it said, "EBIOS READ ERROR, BLOCKS 0 SECTOR 64" over and over about 10 times, then it just went back to the "choose boot device" boot-132 screen.

Any idea how to fix this? I cleaned the Leopard DVD and it still happened...

UPDATE: Wow I just realized something funny... The computer's DVD drive is old enough that it DOESN'T support reading of DVD±R DL (which is what the Leopard DVD is burned to).

Is there a way I can slim down the Leopard DVD to fit on a single layer DVD?

Just to report on a success:

On EP45-UD3LR :

1) LAN: only works with the Realtek1000.kext and DSDT patching. Seems to like the Device (LAN0) in this particular location: (I'm not a programmer, I'm sure there is a reason for this, and the guide is not very clear)

Device (PEX5)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001C0005)
               Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (0x0F)
               }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x09, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 

2) Audio:

Follow the "How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions including LegacyHDA/How to patch DSDT with LAN and HDEF functions.pdf" with the correct replacements for the ALC888 at the bottom of "code.txt". I used the "LedacyHDA.kext" from "series of LegacyHDA 888 (ALC888)/4outs2ins HDA headphone" in /Extra/Extentions and called kext utility to refresh.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

anyone got sound to work with ALC888 ?
Yes, see my post in this thread :D

Noticed something weird now:

My SATA DVD drive is not always working. Everything is on the orange (yellow?) sata connectors and the drives all work fine. In system profiler, Serial ATA says "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices." When it is working, all my SATA drives show up there fine. No matter what it says, hard drives work fine.

Any thoughts? I followed the USB install guide and everything else is working great.

Yeah that's what I figured... Issue though, I used the dfe-iso for boot-132, and even though it booted up fine, when I tried to boot off the Leopard DVD it said, "EBIOS READ ERROR, BLOCKS 0 SECTOR 64" over and over about 10 times, then it just went back to the "choose boot device" boot-132 screen.

Any idea how to fix this? I cleaned the Leopard DVD and it still happened...

UPDATE: Wow I just realized something funny... The computer's DVD drive is old enough that it DOESN'T support reading of DVD±R DL (which is what the Leopard DVD is burned to).

Is there a way I can slim down the Leopard DVD to fit on a single layer DVD?

I thought every dvd drive could read DL DVD, even the very first one, any DVD drive should be able to read a Movie DVD, which are since the very beginning DL DVD...

but it could still be related to your DVD player... don't know why but it is a fact, that some DVD player produced for example the "wait root device" error, while another would not have that...

anyway, here is what I'd do:

which is what I did with Leo and my shuttle K45 (which has no CD/DVD drive), or even my ud3r, (didn't have a DL DVD to burn), restore the DVD on a 8gb partition (no chameleon or anything, just a restore and it doesn't have to be the first partition)... boot with your boot132 CD and select your drive (you know when you type 80 or 81 or 82 etc...), then your 8gb partition will show up, select it and you can install Leo that way...

(on my shuttle I would have the boot132 on a flash drive, and the Leo restored on a usb HD, worked very well)

I have to report some weird KP today. My SnowLeo works wells during about 10days (with 5days uptime, great) but yesterday i started the installation of iTunes9 manually (with a dmg downloaded from Apple.com) and it has KP during the installation (because of the installer). So i rebooted, relaunched the installation and it worked. But from that point, i started to have KP more and more faster (like 2hours after) , then ..etc..and during the afternoon , i got some KP with like 5min uptime, and for finish i got a KP during the reboot.

So i have reinstalled with my leopard disk (i hadn't deleted it \o/). And now when itunes 9 doesn't appears in Software Manager Update, and i really don't want to install it manually (is it normal?)

Just to report on a success:

On EP45-UD3LR :

1) LAN: only works with the Realtek1000.kext and DSDT patching. Seems to like the Device (LAN0) in this particular location: (I'm not a programmer, I'm sure there is a reason for this, and the guide is not very clear)

the reson it's under PEX 5, is that you have to run ioregisteryexplorer (you can find it in the pack)

run it, use the search box to search for "ethernet"

in the list the ethernet device will be under different levels, about two or three levels above it says "PEX" with a number next to it

on the ep45-ud3r that number is "4", so in the dsdt the lan fix must be woth the device(PEX4)

and on your board, that number is most likely "5" so the lan fix must be under Device(PEX5)

so that's the reason why :dev:

better than realtek, if you want bonjour to work in 64bit too, is the "bonjour fix" you can find in the first post of this thread

the reson it's under PEX 5, is that you have to run ioregisteryexplorer (you can find it in the pack)

in the list the ethernet device will be under different levels, about two or three levels above it says "PEX" with a number next to it

on the ep45-ud3r that number is "4", so in the dsdt the lan fix must be woth the device(PEX4)

and on your board, that number is most likely "5" so the lan fix must be under Device(PEX5)

so that's the reason why :)

better than realtek, if you want bonjour to work in 64bit too, is the "bonjour fix" you can find in the first post of this thread

If the "bonjour fix" in the first post of this thread is used, does it mean that we do not have to add the ethernet patch in dsdt? Thanks!

so that's the reason why :)

Yes, that's what I did! I was however referring to the location of "Device (LAN0)... snippet" _within_ the "Device (PEX...)" code. It seems to matter, Ithink..

The Bojour fix is loooovely, thanks!

could you post your dsdt.aml ? would be very(!) nice of you ! :)
My source file, renamed: (must compile with iasl to get the .aml, file, this file is for my hardware, will probably not work with yours..., etc) :)DSDT_UD3LR.dsl.zip

So I currently have my OS (Vista) drive which I have no intentions of altering or wiping, and my other hard drive that I would like to have OS X on once again. Both are SATA. Since you stated that this can be done on a partition, I'm assuming that installing JaS 10.5 on one partition of my available drive, doing the 10.6 installation on the other partition, deleting the 10.5 partition once 10.6 is installed, then expanding the 10.6 partition to fill the entire disk will be a viable option.

Am I correct in assuming this? Does anyone see any issue in this?

Thanks, and I appreciate all the effort that d00m and the community have put into this.

If the "bonjour fix" in the first post of this thread is used, does it mean that we do not have to add the ethernet patch in dsdt? Thanks!

No, you have to...

the bonjour fix only fixes bonjour not the ethernet, so you still need to add the ethernet patch in dsdt to get ethernet to work

Have you guys had any progress in getting vanilla DSDT speedstep working? I've been going through a lot of threads, but haven't tried it myself yet. Have to get an Ubuntu Live CD I guess, and boot from that to get the SSDT tables.

What guide would you recommend?

Have you guys had any progress in getting vanilla DSDT speedstep working? I've been going through a lot of threads, but haven't tried it myself yet. Have to get an Ubuntu Live CD I guess, and boot from that to get the SSDT tables.

What guide would you recommend?

I can give you the ssdt if you wish

EP45-UD3R bios F11

maybe you'll have more success

d00m42, where have you found all the info on patching the dsdt to get sound, using the dump (and how to get one), where to find the pin configuration, etc.... it's for my Shuttle k45 (ALC662)...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181558#

take the HDEF part from his dsdt.aml and use the legacytext he attached

I can give you the ssdt if you wish

EP45-UD3R bios F11

maybe you'll have more success

That'd be nice, yes. Did you have C1, C2/C4 and EIST enabled in BIOS when extracting the SSDT? I've read that the results may differ depending on this, or am I sidetracked?

Is there some resource where people have uploaded information, eg. the p-states of different CPU's? Q8400 in my case. A repository for these would be a great thing for getting this mainstreamed.

wow.

at last, it works.

ga-ep45-ud3r

c2q q9550 2.83Ghz

asus en9500gt oc/di 512

cpu,vga,audio,lan, internal sata(yellow port) ,external sata(purple port), usb(mouse,keyboard,stick) are working

ide dvd not working

not tested ide disk,firewire,digital audio out,digital audio in.

d00m42, thanks for your amazing tut.

my 2-day-job is:

1. i have only one installable sata hard disk. this is my first problem.

2. i have a flash disk 1Gb not 8/16Gb. second problem

3. Tried boot132&boot_think to install retail snow directly from ide dvdrom,but none can show my ide dvdrom. third problem

so stuck at how to boot install disk of retail snow.

luckily, i found a good&old iDeneb disk and some kexts compatible my ide dvdrom.

created 2 partition on my sata disk and installed ideneb on first partition and applied ide dvd kexts and booted into ideneb.

now i can read retail snow dvd , so i made disk image.

mounted snow leopard disk image and run osxinstall.mpkg and installed second partition.(according to tutorial posted on first page of this topic)

did stuff about *.plist & platformUuid.kext of extra. no change on dsdt.aml

then formatted flash disk with guid&hfs+j.

installed pc efi10.1 into usb stick.

copied own Extra contents to Extra on usb except Extensions.mkext.(this is because nullspot hinted that.i dont know why.)

And rebooted & changed disk order in bios to boot usb.

chose second partition on chameleon graphic prompt.

snow leopard appeared.

very chaos words&phase, sorry for lack of my english.