[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Thank you very much evilduck.

I got back to the desktop and within 5 seconds got a KP.

"BSD Process name corresponding to current thread: iCal Helper"

Is there anyone here with the GA EP45-UD3P who has everything working without random KP?

I mean: 64 bit, full sound, Software Update, Time Machine, Bonjour...

Please give us the step-by-step description (which Chameleon version, USB Flash versus regular harddrive, which EFI...).

Thank you very much in advance.

i would like to say thanks for this forum iv'e learned a lot from you guys. i've been hanging out here a ling time and i've red every post

i did install sl with Eliade usb method and use a script from the dd.s i7 forum to install kext and update boot caches

my hack's been up and running one week now without not even one kp i use dstd for audio along with alc889a and efi string for my 9800 gtx i've not tested tm and i'm not sure how bonjour work but cs4 and fcp is working in 64 bit mode

i dont sleep my rig so i don't know if it works, oh file and printer shearing works. all kext in extra

lets just say i have a very happy 10.6.1 snow leopard on my ep45-ud3p irie

Guys, a quick question,

Are you experiencing the Firewire defaulting to secure mode error in Snow Leopard?

The last issue I have in 10.5.8 to fix is firewire, its max speed is 400. Using on-board firewire for my setup.

Thanks

Hm, I thought I had everything running fine, but then, out of thin air, I got a KP. Weird, really. I'll take a picture of it if it happens again. Otherwise I got everything working.

Is someone else, who's got everything working, experiencing this?

I've attached the log from my latest boot:

bootlog.txt

Edit: wrong log, uploaded the correct one.

Guys, a quick question,

Are you experiencing the Firewire defaulting to secure mode error in Snow Leopard?

The last issue I have in 10.5.8 to fix is firewire, its max speed is 400. Using on-board firewire for my setup.

Thanks

use PC EFI V10.1 instead of chameleon RC3 and this will be resolved.

Try my dsdt, it works flawlessly with EP45-UD3R bios f11

have been doing all tweaks i could find for this board

you just need to replace the GFX part because mine is 9800gt 512mb

Hm, I'll look into it, do you know where I could find a guide implementing the gfx to the DSDT? This seems to be even cleaner than the EFI-string I've been using now.

Try my dsdt, it works flawlessly with EP45-UD3R bios f11

have been doing all tweaks i could find for this board

you just need to replace the GFX part because mine is 9800gt 512mb

I've made my own DSDT.aml file but I don't have an GFX string in my DSDT. I have it in com.apple.Boot.plist

What is the benefit of having it in DSDT and how did you get it in there?

Ed

By the way update to 10.6.1 is no problem!

I've replaced the gfx to match your card (8800gts 320mb)

everything should work fine (just remove all the efi strings before using this)

i'm also attaching the only 3 kext I use

(fakesmc, legacyhda and openhaltrestart)

I do recommend using PC EFI v10.1 over Chameleon RC3

Thanks for your effort WinstonAce! I'll try these out ASAP.

Why do you recommend using PC EFI v10.1 over Chameleon RC3 by the way?

Edit: Booted with your DSDT.aml and Extensions (+IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, to make my SATA drives look internal) and everything works so far. Thanks again! Hope this'll improve the stability issues.

Why don't you use all the Extensions from d00ms pack?

What 'extra fixes' have you put in the DSDT?

Thanks

I've replaced the gfx to match your card (8800gts 320mb)

everything should work fine (just remove all the efi strings before using this)

i'm also attaching the only 3 kext I use

(fakesmc, legacyhda and openhaltrestart)

I do recommend using PC EFI v10.1 over Chameleon RC3

I use these 3 also. But I also use (and recommend) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, especially because I overclock. If I don't use it, my CPU runs ~7ºC hotter.

Chameleon RC3 dropping the firewire to full secure mode (very slow)

a bug that was in RC1, fixed in RC2 and returned in RC3

you can see this error in verbose mode

CHAMELEON also gave me some assertion error which PC EFI doesn't

Could this be why my Motu audio device isn't working? The weird thing is that my Motu worked when I first installed it, and I've been using RC3 the whole time. I think it stopped working in 64 bit mode and I unistalled/reinstalled running 64. No luck. Tried doing it again in 32 and it still doesn't work.

I have to admit that I am temporarily using a Leo partition because, Motu doesn't support 64 bit mode YET and my 3870 isn't fully supported yet.

I use these 3 also. But I also use (and recommend) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, especially because I overclock. If I don't use it, my CPU runs ~7ºC hotter.

1. Could you explain what the different .kexts do?

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, obviously nulls the CPUPowerManagement.kext, but what does that do, and why does it need 'nulling'? :P

LegacyHDA.kext, sound

OpenHaltRestart.kext, making shutdown, reboot possible?

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, makes SATA drives look like internal drives

PlatformUUID.kext - Why would we need this? And why specify the UUID in the smbios.plist? (And is it the UUID of the drive pcefi/chameleon is installed on?)

SleepEnabler.kext, what does it do, since sleep (at least for me) works even without it.

fakesmc.kext, could someone give me a short definition of this one?

If you could explain the other kexts as well I'd be really pleased.

2. Do you guys use the BIOS-settings recommended on the first page of this thread, or modified settings?

3. I haven't had a KP in a long time now, could have been the beta version of SIMBL too I suppose?

Thanks!

1. Could you explain what the different .kexts do?

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, obviously nulls the CPUPowerManagement.kext, but what does that do, and why does it need 'nulling'? :wallbash:

LegacyHDA.kext, sound

OpenHaltRestart.kext, making shutdown, reboot possible?

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, makes SATA drives look like internal drives

PlatformUUID.kext - Why would we need this? And why specify the UUID in the smbios.plist? (And is it the UUID of the drive pcefi/chameleon is installed on?)

SleepEnabler.kext, what does it do, since sleep (at least for me) works even without it.

fakesmc.kext, could someone give me a short definition of this one?

If you could explain the other kexts as well I'd be really pleased.

2. Do you guys use the BIOS-settings recommended on the first page of this thread, or modified settings?

3. I haven't had a KP in a long time now, could have been the beta version of SIMBL too I suppose?

Thanks!

I'll try, although I'm no expert. I read a post the other day that there were really only about 7 people who actually know what they're doing with OSx386 and the rest of us are followers! :)

Anyway, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on most of the kexts, so I'll address the others. My understanding of the NullCPUPowerManagement is essentially, that Apple's CPU power management is sub-optimal for our machines, so it's better to keep it from running. Specifically, it makes CPU's run hotter, which has certainly been my experience. And if, as I am, you're an overclocker, this issue is particularly important.

Re: fakesmc.kext: I take no credit (or blame) for these:

This extension (as the name says) emulates SMC, removing the need for a decrypter kext, as the information required for Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to decrypt necessary files is provided through SMC emulation.

The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is on the logic board of the computer. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

re OpenHaltRestart.kext:

OpenHaltRestart (OHR) is a kernel extension that fixes reboot and shutdown on PC-based machines without binary patching or recompiling the kernel.

re PlatformUUID.kext:

I don't use PlatformUUID.kext. If someone can give me a compelling reason to do so, I will. But my machines work just fine without it. My understanding of the smbios.plist is that it's purely cosmetic in regards to getting the correct info into system profiler and has no functional use.

If Sleep works for you, I don't understand either why you use SleepEnabler.kext. I never use sleep, so I don't use the kext in any event.

As I said, I'm no expert. So if someone else wants to add some expertise, please do so.

Why don't you use all the Extensions from d00ms pack?

What 'extra fixes' have you put in the DSDT?

I prefer to use the minimum kext needed

I don't need the Jmicron because it's disabled in my bios

I don't need Disabler (nullcpupowermanagment) because i'm in the middle of inserting ssdt tables to the dsdt for vanilla speedstep

and I don't need sleep enabler because it is already working.

I don't think I even remmember them all, they include:

power button fix to enable the power button to sleep the machine

usb fix to show the ehci devices as built in profiler and to avoide unmounting upon sleep

(when you get the error that usb wasn't properly ejected)

hpet/rtc/dtgp/cmos reset fix of course

and some more minor tweaks

My cpu is overclocked as well (3GHZ@4GHZ) and it has fine temp

as i mentioned, I'm trying to enable vanilla speedstep which can't be done with thisa disabler

My cpu is overclocked as well (3GHZ@4GHZ) and it has fine temp as i mentioned, I'm trying to enable vanilla speedstep which can't be done with thisa disabler

Just to be clear, I use quality after-market CPU coolers and the right thermal compound, so my machines would run at very acceptable temperatures even if I allowed Apple's CPU management to run. But if I can lower my temps and extra 7º - 10ºC by simply disabling it, IMO it's a good choice for me.