[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Since I have the same motherboard(assuming rev 1.1), and am running the same BIOS, would the attached DSDT file be the same for as if I were to compile it for myself? I've tried compiling it myself and always get an error.

If not, I'd be happy to paypal someone $5 if they could take my output of DSDT patcher, patch it correctly and compile it.

thanks,

-devros

If I had a paypal, I'd pay you $5 to take your time and realize that DSDT isn't a quick 5 minute fix that you get right on your first try (especially if you haven't tried it before). I would then pay you another $5 to patch the DSDT, and if it doesn't compile, compare the DSDT.dsl to my DSDT.aml (decompile it to a .dsl first) and tell me what exactly is different (there are applications that let you view differences in text files) OR, attach it here.

I am glad to help, but something as doable as creating a DSDT you shouldn't blow off.

Right, sorry. It wasn't clear if you actually exported a new dsdt.dsl file with your new bios.

You're right. That probably wasn't clear. The thing is though, my new dsdt looks exactly like my old one (not that I've compared it line by line). I redid all the steps from the patching guide, but it sure looked like what I was copying in was exactly the same as what was there already.

Hi "dOOm42"

Can you show me your "com.apple.Boot.plist" in Extra Folder?

I didn't understand same that above guy why I can use your "DSDT.aml" it work well, but another person has to modify by their own.

Now I took out my PCI ethernet and enable on board ethernet, internet work as normal again.

Thanks

Hi "dOOm42"

Can you show me your "com.apple.Boot.plist" in Extra Folder?

I didn't understand same that above guy why I can use your "DSDT.aml" it work well, but another person has to modify by their own.

Now I took out my PCI ethernet and enable on board ethernet, internet work as normal again.

Thanks

I'm on my netbook atm so I can't attach the file, but my com.apple.Boot.plist is standard except for the EFI string for my Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512MB.

You can TRY my DSDT, but if there are problems and certain hardware doesn't work as a result (or your system doesn't boot), you can't complain that there are issues until you've made your own. You need the EXACT same hardware configuration as I do to use my DSDT, Intel C2D, and the rev1.1 GA EP45-UD3R.

If I had a paypal, I'd pay you $5 to take your time and realize that DSDT isn't a quick 5 minute fix that you get right on your first try (especially if you haven't tried it before). I would then pay you another $5 to patch the DSDT, and if it doesn't compile, compare the DSDT.dsl to my DSDT.aml (decompile it to a .dsl first) and tell me what exactly is different (there are applications that let you view differences in text files) OR, attach it here.

I am glad to help, but something as doable as creating a DSDT you shouldn't blow off.

I think a reason for compile errors might come from TextEdit. I had attempts that didn't work with the only difference being that I pressed return or tab in the wrong place. I really believe that a different editor might save everyone some grief... Xcode or even Emacs.

I am not sure if I'm going to update to f11 so fast when I have literally everything flawless with f9. I'm going to look into it, but BIOS updating is just so annoying lol. The only benefit for me would be the faster AHCI detection. Anyone who has f11 fully working (Eliade, I remember you mentioned that you did), how much faster is it?

You know.... now that showing off your DSDT is being brought up.... I sure could use a copy of yours but not to use the whole thing (I already built my own! yea!). I really just want to look at yours to see where I'm messing up the code for the whole "my green/black sound output jacks are reversed" cause right now my sound works great but, well, my green and black jacks are reversed :( It's not a problem at all but now that I got my install stable I'm moving on to the next stage - bugfixing.

d00m42, eliade and everyone else who helped with this - BIG THANKS to all of you. I'm a very happy camper :(

I am not sure if I'm going to update to f11 so fast when I have literally everything flawless with f9. I'm going to look into it, but BIOS updating is just so annoying lol. The only benefit for me would be the faster AHCI detection. Anyone who has f11 fully working (Eliade, I remember you mentioned that you did), how much faster is it?

much faster

you know those dots right after the first boot screen, well they're gone, so is the time wasted doing that (whatever it was doing...), then detects HD much faster....

from cold boot, it takes 18secs to display chameleon screen , that's when I don't press a key at the "press any key to continue" when it is detecting my IDE HD....

or a total of about 1min and 5sec to get to my desktop

the dsdt I created for F11 from F11 bios file with Win7 on VMware Fusion, worked on bios F9, (I accidentally booted with it)

so you may be able to uee your F9 dsdt in a F11 bios too, at least temporarily... I still would recreate it right away though...

much faster

you know those dots right after the first boot screen, well they're gone, so is the time wasted doing that (whatever it was doing...), then detects HD much faster....

from cold boot, it takes 18secs to display chameleon screen , that's when I don't press a key at the "press any key to continue" when it is detecting my IDE HD....

or a total of about 1min and 5sec to get to my desktop

the dsdt I created for F11 from F11 bios file with Win7 on VMware Fusion, worked on bios F9, (I accidentally booted with it)

so you may be able to uee your F9 dsdt in a F11 bios too, at least temporarily... I still would recreate it right away though...

Eliade: Would it be asking too much for you to describe how you created your new dsdt file in Win7 (I have a Win7 disk, so I don't need VM Fusion instructions)?

Please? You'd be my BFF. :D

Great news! I got my sound outputs working in F11! :) I reinstalled SL yet again, but that didn't work. I followed the dsdt guide d00m has so generously provided (which is invaluable, btw), but that didn't work. Then, almost out of desperation, I used the HDEF hack provided in DSDTSE, which has slightly different settings for the HDEF section and, lo and behold, it worked!

So now everything is working perfectly in F11: Sound, graphics, ethernet, Bonjour, etc. The only thing I still can't figure out is why Geekbench crashes on startup.

For those of you who haven't tried DSDTSE, it's a great supplement to the guide d00m provided (as I can attest to). You can download it here:DSDTSE

You know.... now that showing off your DSDT is being brought up.... I sure could use a copy of yours but not to use the whole thing (I already built my own! yea!). I really just want to look at yours to see where I'm messing up the code for the whole "my green/black sound output jacks are reversed" cause right now my sound works great but, well, my green and black jacks are reversed :D It's not a problem at all but now that I got my install stable I'm moving on to the next stage - bugfixing.

d00m42, eliade and everyone else who helped with this - BIG THANKS to all of you. I'm a very happy camper :)

Try some of the other LegacyHDA kexts.

Eliade: Would it be asking too much for you to describe how you created your new dsdt file in Win7 (I have a Win7 disk, so I don't need VM Fusion instructions)?

Please? You'd be my BFF. :D

Great news! I got my sound outputs working in F11! :) I reinstalled SL yet again, but that didn't work. I followed the dsdt guide d00m has so generously provided (which is invaluable, btw), but that didn't work. Then, almost out of desperation, I used the HDEF hack provided in DSDTSE, which has slightly different settings for the HDEF section and, lo and behold, it worked!

So now everything is working perfectly in F11: Sound, graphics, ethernet, Bonjour, etc. The only thing I still can't figure out is why Geekbench crashes on startup.

For those of you who haven't tried DSDTSE, it's a great supplement to the guide d00m provided (as I can attest to). You can download it here:DSDTSE

do you still want instruction since you got it working, if you do let me know, it's quick

Great news! I got my sound outputs working in F11! :( I reinstalled SL yet again, but that didn't work. I followed the dsdt guide d00m has so generously provided (which is invaluable, btw), but that didn't work. Then, almost out of desperation, I used the HDEF hack provided in DSDTSE, which has slightly different settings for the HDEF section and, lo and behold, it worked!

What is the HDEF hack? Can you paste instructions on how you got your sound working with DSDTSE?

This will sound really stupid but I am stuck trying to input the -v -x32 with the first boot.

The bootloader shows me the 2 disks, I use the arrow key to point to the right one. When I push the arrow down key I get boot options including verbose and it shows -x (for safe boot) but I cannot figure out when and how to punch those keys to be able to do -v(erbose) -x(safeboot)32.

Any help?

if you have an ep45-ud3r just follow the dsdt instructions in the SL pack (first post)

it really is easy

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Eliade.

This will sound really stupid but I am stuck trying to input the -v -x32 with the first boot.

The bootloader shows me the 2 disks, I use the arrow key to point to the right one. When I push the arrow down key I get boot options including verbose and it shows -x (for safe boot) but I cannot figure out when and how to punch those keys to be able to do -v(erbose) -x(safeboot)32.

Any help?

You can only do one from the Chameleon menu. You've got to hit TAB, make sure you've got the right disk selected and then enter any number of commands you'd like.

Now I am getting a KP at "running fsck on the boot volume".

Once I got into SL and did the registration (even internet worked).

By the time that finished I had the KP from the mdwalker.

I am wondering if I got the -x32 right?

I also tried the lifehacker way, still no dice.

GA EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 8GB memory, Nvidia 7800GT.

everything works just fine , but FINAL CUT (newest version) crashes on startup ! ( Built this machine for video editing)

I installed via this method (Big thanks ) !

Would be grateful for any help!

EP45 UD3LR - Q6600 - 8 GB RAM

Are you guys running SL in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? How stable is it? I've got it installed, and running in 64-bit atm, get some random KP's and stalls though.

Still booting from a USB-stick, using Chameleon 2 RC3, could this be a reason for the KP's and instability?

If I install Chameleon 3 on my hdd, it'll overwrite my old 10.5 chameleon rc2, which I've installed on a different partition, right? Is it possible to boot both 10.5 and 10.6, with different kexts (10.5/10.6 folders in Extra), but also with different boot.plists? Do I need the timemachine fix for Snow Leopard aswell? This would enable me to use the same boot.plist in both installations.

I've got sound and LAN working through DSDT, and graphic through EFI (boot.plist), so no problem there - although my openGL performance is a lot lower than in 10.5, in xbench for some reason. Anyone else got similar experiences?

About the BIOS settings, why do the settings recommended for Snow Leopard (ep45-ud3r) and Leopard (eliades thread) differ? And should I use 64bit HPET mode in SL or not?

One more thing, is speedstep working in SL?

Thanks a lot!

I use x64 and have had zero problems, crashes

I have never used x32

I am also using the F9 Bios, however will be using F11 once I feel like

re-compiling the DSDT.

I use what the guide states and not Chameleon RC3

Mine is running screaming fast:)

If it's not broke, don't fix it

Are you guys running SL in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? How stable is it? I've got it installed, and running in 64-bit atm, get some random KP's and stalls though.

Still booting from a USB-stick, using Chameleon 2 RC3, could this be a reason for the KP's and instability?

About the BIOS settings, why do the settings recommended for Snow Leopard (ep45-ud3r) and Leopard (eliades thread) differ? And should I use 64bit HPET mode in SL or not?

One more thing, is speedstep working in SL?

Thanks a lot!

my system is super stable in both 32bit and 64bit kernel, I installed my system by restoring the dvd on a 8gb partition on a usb HD with chameleon 2 RC2 on it + modified boot file

For my systek I'm also using chameleon RC2 with modified boot file in the EFI partition

remember if you use chameleon rc3 and you want to boot into 32bit mode, -x32 does not work, you have to use arch=i386

actually I had the same problem in RC2, At least I noticed it when running from EFI partition

I believe only the included booter in the sl pack works with -x32...