[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Where does one find the latest bios updates for the motherboard?

Best,

Mike

Go to the Gigabyte support page, and look for your motherboard model. Once you find it, select it, and click the BIOS link on the right side.

Does anyone with the UD3R have onboard networking working? Mine shows up, but has a 169.x.x.x IP address. It can properly sense a cable being pugged in or not. It seems to be on PEX4, so the DSDT.aml file should work ...

Does anyone with the UD3R have onboard networking working? Mine shows up, but has a 169.x.x.x IP address. It can properly sense a cable being pugged in or not. It seems to be on PEX4, so the DSDT.aml file should work ...

I have perfect ethernet.

Use your own DSDT.aml, and patch it with PEX4. It took me 2-3 tries to get this exactly right, so try one more time. If it fails again, post your DSDT.dsl here and I'll take a look.

I have perfect ethernet.

Use your own DSDT.aml, and patch it with PEX4. It took me 2-3 tries to get this exactly right, so try one more time. If it fails again, post your DSDT.dsl here and I'll take a look.

This looks like everything matches to me -- http://imagebin.ca/view/hZxKw-u2.html

I uploaded the dsdt I am booting with, and the 'dsdt_fixed' that the tool output (that I didnt touch, because the boot dsdt I downloaded seems correct no?)

DSDT.txt

dsdt_fixed.dsl.txt

I only have 8GB because i occasionally run a number of VM's simultaneously. Most likely you are fine with 4GB and won't get any additional performance with more.

But overclocking the E7400, yeah i'd do that just because every single one of them is easily capable of at least a medium overclock with just about no effort required.

reboot verbose so you can see what process is causing the KP in x64

Well to all who are using FIREWAVE (griffin 5.1) 64bit You will randomly get kernal panics looking like the image I have included.

Since I stopped using the firewave i have had NO Kp's.

So my advice is dont use it if you are in x64.

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

I have upgrade the bios to F11, Load Optimize Default, POWER OFF THE COMPUTER from the power source case, rebuild DSDT file, reinstall SL.

Everything is working now! AHCI detection is much faster on boot.

Without power off after Load Optimize Default, the network was not working (on my computer).

I'll try without reinstalling it, I don't want to...

I created a new dsdt file using the windows dsdt tool, to create it directly using the f11 bios file

re-fixed sound, ehci, rtc fix for cmos reset, the other fix were done automatically...placed it in the EFI partition, so it's ready to boot in F11...

now I'm going to reboot and install F11...

crossing fingers....

To those having the immediate kernel panic with the Mac OS Version: Not Yet Set error: I seem to have gotten past this issue on a GA-EP45-UD3P board by using the boot file in the new chameleon RC3 distro. I doubt it matters but my full process was

1. from a MBP running SL, install SL to the root partition of a new HD (OSInstall.mpkg)

2. run the vsdbutil on the new HD (doubt this matters, but I was grasping at straws): sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/<snow drive>

3. download and install Chameleon RC3, following steps under manual install (there are 3 commands to run, the last of which is to sudo cp /path/to/boot /Volumes/<snow drive>

3.a I made the boot file invisible: sudo SetFile -a "V" /Volumes/<snow drive>/boot

4. copy an Extra folder over; the one I used is from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183502

5. edit the files in /Volume/<snow drive>/Extra (smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist) with the UUID of the <snow drive>

6. edit com.apple.boot.plist with my GFX string for my 260

7. left DSDT.aml alone

So basically used the same steps that everyone is using with the exception of the boot file. I don't have sound working yet but I'm working on that now.

Thanks - just what I needed.

I have not started the Snow upgrade to my UD3P 10.5.8 yet, still gathering information as it is stable now and runs 60% faster than my MBP! 'Better than a mac... doh did I say that!"

Snow installed on my MBP so far... I have to re-compile all of my native ruby gems after an upgrade, should have done fresh install!

I use a 'SYBA CL-CAM63003 1.3M 640 x 480 USB WebCam' for OOB webcam and as a bonus the built mic works OOB too. Registers as a Vega 2.0 USB mic. Might help some with mic issues.

I use(d) a D-Link DWA-542 b/g/n 32bit PCI for OOB airport internet.

Looking at the 10.6 OSX HCL I don't see any wireless adapters that work in 64bit mode. Since the mobo's we use for OSX86 are all 32bit PCI I assume it will have to be a PCIe card.

BIG Q: Does anyone have airport working in 64bit mode? Not sure how the lan was patched to work in 64bit mode yet, but I doubt it would work with a PCI device?

Also has anyone got dual video cards working in Snow for the UD3P?? I use 2 9500GT's .....

Thanks I only read the first 20 or so posts.... back to reading!

I just wanted to let you all know that I followed the guide and am now posting from my Snow Leopard install! Thanks to d00m42 and everyone else. I originally tried to install via the USB method but the installer would never start, so I installed via d00m42's CD method and it worked great. So far I have not had a single kernel panic!

My only problem right now is that I have RealtekR1000 installed in S/L/E to get bonjour and networking (I know, I know, this is not totally "vanilla") but I am having trouble getting Chameleon RC3 to boot into 32 bit mode automatically. I saw the discussion a few posts back and added the arch=i386 flag to my com.apple.boot.plist, but it only seems to "take" if I select my Snow Leopard install on the Chameleon boot screen, press the down arrow, and select "Boot". If I just choose my Snow Leopard drive and hit Enter on the Chameleon boot screen it still boots into 64bit. Has anyone run into this problem? Maybe I need to just use Eliade's bonjour fix and stick with x64....

One other weird thing I ran into, I had my graphics working via my DSDT.aml in Leopard but in Snow Leopard I have to use an EFI string... Nvidia GeForce 8400GS. Not a big deal to me, though.

I'm currently migrating 350GB of data over to my new install... wee! :)

I have upgrade the bios to F11, Load Optimize Default, POWER OFF THE COMPUTER from the power source case, rebuild DSDT file, reinstall SL.

Everything is working now! AHCI detection is much faster on boot.

Without power off after Load Optimize Default, the network was not working (on my computer).

F11 works great for me too

I'm not reinstalling SL, it works perfectly just the way it is

ethernet worked right away, I did power off the computer as recommended by boreas

just for faster AHCI detection, F11 is well worth it

I just wanted to let you all know that I followed the guide and am now posting from my Snow Leopard install! Thanks to d00m42 and everyone else. I originally tried to install via the USB method but the installer would never start, so I installed via d00m42's CD method and it worked great. So far I have not had a single kernel panic!

My only problem right now is that I have RealtekR1000 installed in S/L/E to get bonjour and networking (I know, I know, this is not totally "vanilla") but I am having trouble getting Chameleon RC3 to boot into 32 bit mode automatically. I saw the discussion a few posts back and added the arch=i386 flag to my com.apple.boot.plist, but it only seems to "take" if I select my Snow Leopard install on the Chameleon boot screen, press the down arrow, and select "Boot". If I just choose my Snow Leopard drive and hit Enter on the Chameleon boot screen it still boots into 64bit. Has anyone run into this problem? Maybe I need to just use Eliade's bonjour fix and stick with x64....

One other weird thing I ran into, I had my graphics working via my DSDT.aml in Leopard but in Snow Leopard I have to use an EFI string... Nvidia GeForce 8400GS. Not a big deal to me, though.

I'm currently migrating 350GB of data over to my new install... wee! :)

They haven't quite yet worked out all the kinks on RC3. On some machines (including one of mine, but not the other), if I don't move the cursor at least once on the Chameleon boot screen (iow, I just hit enter) I get a "can't find mach_kernel" message. If I use the arrows on my keyboard at least once, then select the SL install, it boots fine. Sounds like you're having a similar issue.

My work around was just to set my Windows drive as my default partition in my boot.plist file. That way, I have to arrow once to get to the SL install and I have no problems booting.

EDIT: According to the folks over at Chameleon, "there seems to be a bug of not loading the Boot.plist of the selected partition." Zef says:

"It will load the selected partition’s /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist at the moment.

But we can add /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist in the first place under stringtable.c:loadOverrideConfig().

… The best would be to adjust these paths using config keys like “Config Override Path”."

The last part is a bit more than I can figure out. But what they're saying is that, if you don't use the arrow key first, the boot.plist file which is loading is the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, NOT the one in your Extra folder. That would explain why your arch=i386 string is not working. It's probably not in the other boot.plist.

My little work around works just fine for me. But you can follow Zef's suggestion or, presumably, just make sure the boot,plist file in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ is the same as the one in your Extra folder, although I haven't tried that, so do it at your own risk.

F11 works great for me too

I'm not reinstalling SL, it works perfectly just the way it is

ethernet worked right away, I did power off the computer as recommended by boreas

just for faster AHCI detection, F11 is well worth it

i've been nervous about updating to F11, unsure if my 10.5 install would stop working as well as my 10.6...

Could you post your new DSDT file (built from the F11 bios)? I'm assuming with the exact same mobo and (updated) bios it would work on my machine? or is there something else that makes each system different? (would PCI cards, like a firewire and a SATA card make a difference to DSDT?)

Also, any chance of careful instructions on how to update the bios to F11?

i've been nervous about updating to F11, unsure if my 10.5 install would stop working as well as my 10.6...

Could you post your new DSDT file (built from the F11 bios)? I'm assuming with the exact same mobo and (updated) bios it would work on my machine? or is there something else that makes each system different? (would PCI cards, like a firewire and a SATA card make a difference to DSDT?)

Also, any chance of careful instructions on how to update the bios to F11?

download bios file, put EP45UD3R.F11 file on a USB stick, boot the computer. on boot, press DEL key. select EP45UD3R.F11 file from the USB drive. After update, restart the compute, select Load Optimize Default, and then Save & Exit Setup. Power off your computer from the power source case button. After aprox. 1 min boot your computer, and set AHCI drive settings.

DSDT.zip

I followed the guide exactly as mentioned in the 1st post, and viola, it works... I installed SL on a separate 1tb hard drive, and after installing PC EFI, I have a proper dual boot system with SL and Leopard 10.5.8 side-by-side...

However, I had repeated KP's while booting with -v -x32, and normal booting with no problems without any flags.... Maybe its my system I guess...

Btw, I don't have the same system as yours, I tried this method on a

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Intel Core 2 duo E6600 running at 3 Ghz

Corsair 4 GB RAM

Geforce 7600 GS,

320 GB, 1 TB, 1TB drives

2 x DVD-RW drives.. and everything works out of the box.....

All of the above work fine, along with the Ethernet ports on the motherboard. As you might know, this motherboard has onboard wi-fi, and I could use it normally under Leopard with the Realtek USB Utility... I can't seem to find a replacement for SL, any help guys ?

Also, could you kindly mention which of the Apple SL kexts should I remove ? I removed the HPET kext and that made the firewire onboard the motherboard work, any suggestions ?

Many thanx as always,

download bios file, put EP45UD3R.F11 file on a USB stick, boot the computer. on boot, press DEL key. select EP45UD3R.F11 file from the USB drive. After update, restart the compute, select Load Optimize Default, and then Save & Exit Setup. Power off your computer from the power source case button. After aprox. 1 min boot your computer, and set AHCI drive settings.

Disable any overclocking first: ("Load Optimized Defaults"), save & reboot, then select "Q Flash" from the bios menu screen.

Note: Gigabyte also offers a Windows "@Bios" flash utility, but it is not so trustworthy.

Hi. To get the audio working, I followed the directions in the SL pack from this thread in the DSDT Stuff --> How to patch DSDT. It takes a little bit of time and care, but the instructions are very good if you follow them precisely. If you get errors compiling, try again or try a code editor rather than TextEdit. Another thing needed for it to work would be a bootloader that will load the DSDT. This thread includes PC EFI 10, but I am using Chameleon RC3.

When you copy over the Extra folder from the SL pack, the Extensions folder has a LegacyHDA kext in it. This works fine, but in order to get the right outputs (for me, I needed the digital outs) I replaced that kext with the gray one from the DSDT folder.

So that is:

/Extra/Extensions <-- delete LegacyHDA.kext

/SL Pack/DSDT Stuff/How to Patch DSDT/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3out2in HDA headphone <-- copy kext to /Extra/Extensions

And, yes, works in 64bit.

Thank you Ace. I tried the kext, but when I boot, the system gets hung up towards the end of the verbose boot process. Something about a TIMEOUT. It could be I am bootloading from a USB stick drive (to keep system vanilla). Tonight I will clone my HD and setup Chameleon directly to the HD and see if this is the cause.

Thanks again.

H.

If I'm not totally wrong and things have not massively changed between 10.5 and 10.6, then the UUIDs that the system requires have nothing to do with drive UUIDs, but are derived from your *built-in* ethernet adapters' MAC address.

This is the same UUID that then will be used by TimeMachine, e.g.

cat /Volumes/acorn/piglet_0123456789ab.sparsebundle/com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>com.apple.backupd.BackupMachineAddress</key>
<string>01:23:45:67:89:ab</string>
<key>com.apple.backupd.HostUUID</key>
<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-0123456789AB</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Of course, here I replaced my real MAC address with 01:23:45:67:89:ab and made the relevant changes.

In other words, your UUID should be of the form 00000000-0000-1000-8000-XXXXXXXXXXXX whereby XXXXXXXXXXXX should be replaced with your MAC address.

I updated my BIOS (in Windows using @bios) and everything went well with one exception. Once again I've lost my sound outputs, despite trying various LegacyDHA kexts. My dsdt.aml file seems just fine (heaven knows, I've patched and checked it time and time again, run kextutility repeatedly, etc.)). I do notice one message during boot in verbose mode that AppleHDAcontroller is not loading from E/E. Other than that, I have no clue what the problem is.

I'm very confident that if I were to reinstall and use the exact same dsdt file and LegacyHDA kext everything would be fine (that's what I've done before). What I don't understand is why I lose my sound outputs unless I reinstall. Same dsdt. Same LegacyHDA.kext. Different result.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Thank you Ace. I tried the kext, but when I boot, the system gets hung up towards the end of the verbose boot process. Something about a TIMEOUT. It could be I am bootloading from a USB stick drive (to keep system vanilla). Tonight I will clone my HD and setup Chameleon directly to the HD and see if this is the cause.

Thanks again.

H.

I had a similar hang being caused by my graphics card (HD 3870). Just a thought, you might want to look up how to get your graphics card running properly.

I updated my BIOS (in Windows using @bios) and everything went well with one exception. Once again I've lost my sound outputs, despite trying various LegacyDHA kexts. My dsdt.aml file seems just fine (heaven knows, I've patched and checked it time and time again, run kextutility repeatedly, etc.)). I do notice one message during boot in verbose mode that AppleHDAcontroller is not loading from E/E. Other than that, I have no clue what the problem is.

I'm very confident that if I were to reinstall and use the exact same dsdt file and LegacyHDA kext everything would be fine (that's what I've done before). What I don't understand is why I lose my sound outputs unless I reinstall. Same dsdt. Same LegacyHDA.kext. Different result.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Maybe you should rebuild your DSDT from scratch.

I had a similar hang being caused by my graphics card (HD 3870). Just a thought, you might want to look up how to get your graphics card running properly.

Maybe you should rebuild your DSDT from scratch.

Thanks, but already tried that.

Since I have the same motherboard(assuming rev 1.1), and am running the same BIOS, would the attached DSDT file be the same for as if I were to compile it for myself? I've tried compiling it myself and always get an error.

If not, I'd be happy to paypal someone $5 if they could take my output of DSDT patcher, patch it correctly and compile it.

thanks,

-devros