[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Well after 2 try's today was the closest. I followed the guide to a T (EXCEPT) I used Chameleon 3, everything worked great full install in X64 didnt have to boot to x32 once.

As soon as I Rebuild my kext's and rebooted I got my first KP, so I used the following command sudo touch/System/Library/Extensions and then rebooted.

And There I was back in x64.

I wanted to get chameleon to time out so i didn't have to hit enter and select the volume. so I added <key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Rebooted and x64 will not boot now.

IT all started with rebuilding the permissions with Kext Utility.

IS this really a necessary step, 10.6 installed in full X64 without a hitch until i did this now I can ONLY boot in x32.

Damn thats nice, i might need to OC and add more ram, but with my setup there is no lag whats so ever lol is it worth updating the ram and oc ?

I only have 8GB because i occasionally run a number of VM's simultaneously. Most likely you are fine with 4GB and won't get any additional performance with more.

But overclocking the E7400, yeah i'd do that just because every single one of them is easily capable of at least a medium overclock with just about no effort required.

Well after 2 try's today was the closest. I followed the guide to a T (EXCEPT) I used Chameleon 3, everything worked great full install in X64 didnt have to boot to x32 once.

As soon as I Rebuild my kext's and rebooted I got my first KP, so I used the following command sudo touch/System/Library/Extensions and then rebooted.

And There I was back in x64.

I wanted to get chameleon to time out so i didn't have to hit enter and select the volume. so I added <key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Rebooted and x64 will not boot now.

IT all started with rebuilding the permissions with Kext Utility.

IS this really a necessary step, 10.6 installed in full X64 without a hitch until i did this now I can ONLY boot in x32.

reboot verbose so you can see what process is causing the KP in x64

I only have 8GB because i occasionally run a number of VM's simultaneously. Most likely you are fine with 4GB and won't get any additional performance with more.

But overclocking the E7400, yeah i'd do that just because every single one of them is easily capable of at least a medium overclock with just about no effort required.

If I knew how to OC i would definately be doing it but i have a stock fan i need to upgrade that first and then have my friend OC for me since i have no idea whats going on in life with that lol

Thanks for the help.

Hi all,

First of all, I have to say "thank you verymuch" to doom.

I have followed everything to this guide and our mobo EP45 UD3R, I got everything, Firewire, Sound, and PCI Ethernet Card (Dlink DFE528TX) works without any driver/ any kext,

I used everything on doom's Extra Folder

-Bonjour------->same with doom's original file

-com.apple.Boot.plist-----> I used UInversal to get EFI String

-DSDT.aml------->same with doom's original file

-Extention------->same with doom's original file excetp jMicronATA.kext

-Extention.mkext------->same with doom's original file-smbios.plist

-Themes------->same with doom's original file

Except the EFI string I used the set hex file which I run on Uinstaller on my 10.5.8, I didn't used EFI Studio due to it was not in the list.

My result detail:

1) boot/shutdown/restart----->OK (by Doom's Kext)

2) Firewire/Sound------>OK (by Doom's Kext)

3) Ethernet DLink DFE 528 TX ---------OK without any kext or driver but speed is very slow than 10.5.8.

4) I can ran Open GL Viewer and get passed

My question:

1) I'm not sure, my graphic card get QE/CI or not? because it didn't shown any detail information on "About this Mac"

2) Snow speed quite slower than 10.5.8, why like that?

Finally I attached my pic to show Open GL viewer test result, and graphic card detail shown on "About this Mac".

my hardware:

Mobo: EP45 UD3R

CPU: Q9550

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair1066MHz DDR2

VGA: nVIDIA 9600 GT 512 MB

DVD: SATA Liteon

Hard Drive: all SATA

Mouse: USB optical IBM

KB: USB dell

post-435680-1252372716_thumb.jpg

post-435680-1252373001_thumb.jpg

Anyone succeed updating the bios to F11 and get network working?

I'm running F11 now, and nothing has changed for the worse. The Realtek chipset for onboard ethernet on my EP45 -UD3R board has always worked with the EFi-X dongle, but I'm instead using a "no-name" USB Wi-Fi dongle that has the high-power Realtek (8187, IIRC), and the Realtek OSX driver/kext that came with it works very well. I got the dongle from Meritline for around $12 and it's got RANGE. Can't say if it will work under SL but can't see why not.

has anyone updated their chameleon to RC3?

Yes. Works great for me. Glad to be rid of mkext file.

Hi all,

First of all, I have to say "thank you verymuch" to doom.

I have followed everything to this guide and our mobo EP45 UD3R, I got everything, Firewire, Sound, and PCI Ethernet Card (Dlink DFE528TX) works without any driver/ any kext,

I used everything on doom's Extra Folder

-Bonjour------->same with doom's original file

-com.apple.Boot.plist-----> I used UInversal to get EFI String

-DSDT.aml------->same with doom's original file

-Extention------->same with doom's original file excetp jMicronATA.kext

-Extention.mkext------->same with doom's original file-smbios.plist

-Themes------->same with doom's original file

Except the EFI string I used the set hex file which I run on Uinstaller on my 10.5.8, I didn't used EFI Studio due to it was not in the list.

My result detail:

1) boot/shutdown/restart----->OK (by Doom's Kext)

2) Firewire/Sound------>OK (by Doom's Kext)

3) Ethernet DLink DFE 528 TX ---------OK without any kext or driver but speed is very slow than 10.5.8.

4) I can ran Open GL Viewer and get passed

My question:

1) I'm not sure, my graphic card get QE/CI or not? because it didn't shown any detail information on "About this Mac"

2) Snow speed quite slower than 10.5.8, why like that?

Finally I attached my pic to show Open GL viewer test result, and graphic card detail shown on "About this Mac".

my hardware:

Mobo: EP45 UD3R

CPU: Q9550

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair1066MHz DDR2

VGA: nVIDIA 9600 GT 512 MB

DVD: SATA Liteon

Hard Drive: all SATA

Mouse: USB optical IBM

KB: USB dell

I'm not sure what the story is with QE, but if you can open Chess and move a piece, you've got CL. About This Mac doesn't list the features in SL.

I'm not sure what the story is with QE, but if you can open Chess and move a piece, you've got CL. About This Mac doesn't list the features in SL.

very quick reply

Thank you very much

[quote I'm not sure what the story is with QE, but if you can open Chess and move a piece, you've got CL. About This Mac doesn't list the features in SL.

very quick reply

Thank you very much

An even easier way is to bring up the Dashboard, and open a new widget. If you get ripply water effects around the new widget then you have full acceleration.

Speaking of, I can't seem to get graphics to work on my MSI wind U100 : /

An even easier way is to bring up the Dashboard, and open a new widget. If you get ripply water effects around the new widget then you have full acceleration.

I did it as you advice, now I have full acceleration.

Thank you very much

but why my pci ethernet adapter work only when i boot by -v -x32

thanks again

look into incorporating "video driver" into dsdt for your gma950

that's what I have for shuttle (GMA950 desktop version) and SL WORKS great, I have no efi, and no kext for video, in Leo no efi for the desktop version and all the kext available had the "blinking mouse" or other unwanted artifact, dsdt fixed it all

I suppose you are using chameleon 2 RC2, why don't you try that auto detect feature (if you haven't done it already), I'v never tried it though...

going to sleep, early class tomorrow

good luck

Hi, I'm on UD3P. This is really weird but I patched my DSDT so that audio and network were working. BTW I had to change to 3outs legacy kext for digital audio output to work (???).

My network was working perfectly UNTIL it suddenly stopped working. I think it was around the time I plugged in my bluetooth dongle. I can't think of any other way to explain it. I plugged it in and it said your network preferences have changed. I opened them up and didn't see anything different, closed it, I think it asked me to save, and I did. If this is what happened, is there any way to undo the damage?

I've tried all sorts of things. I compiled a patched DSDT without LAN and used RTL kext instead. Nothing changed. I'm not real wild about the idea of starting over... does anyone have any suggestions?

has anyone updated their chameleon to RC3?

I should mention that I made my own variations on this guide. I installed from the DVD to a partition on GUID, made an image of it and copied it over to an MBR disk with XP on it. I did everything else normally from there, except that PC EFI wouldn't work (I'm assuming because of the MBR). I did my install with Chameleon RC3. It also seemed that the -x32 tag didn't do anything. Every time I booted (-x32 in RC3) it said 64 bit. But this was never a problem. Everything else about my install went by the guide.

Eliade, or someone who knows the answer:

Why do the BIOS-settings from your (eliade) 10.5.7 guide differ with the settings recommended in this guide? Does disabling the virtualization cripple eg. parallels in any way?

Every time I booted (-x32 in RC3) it said 64 bit. But this was never a problem. Everything else about my install went by the guide.

use arch=i386 -legacy instead of -x32 too boot into 32-bit mode

I've been following this thread from the beginning.

I want to thank everyone involved in this, its helped me a lot.

I don't want to post inappropriately here but I need some help to get my system 100%.

Basically I want to get 10.5.8 working perfectly before upgrading to SL. I may even wait for the first update to SL before updating. I'm sort of using the 10.5.8 install as a learning path for SL especially relating to DSDT.

I have been able to fix the device removal error on sleep using DSDT (I was pulling my hair out with this one) using the info in this thread and I have full sound support using Darwinx86 Injector kext in E/E.

There are two small issues I need to fix:

Timed sleep sort of works - under enrgy saver in sys prefs I would set the sleep to 1 minute. After about three minutes my computer would click a few times then eventually sleep. Wake works fine. Manual sleep is perfect thanks to this thread! Also the only option available under options is "Allow power buitton to sleep computer"

The second issue I think relates to my power management. On shutting down the cap s lock light stays on - its like the computer turns off but not fully. I am using disabler in E/E.

Someone else earlier on said (i think it was Eliade) that they had a perfect vanilla install - thats want I want to achieve in 10.5.8 before installing SL.

I also want to install chameleon on USB stick with all kexts in E/E so thats my goal.

I also would like to run audio using DSDT and Apple HDA Kext only - is that possible in 10.5.8?

Thanks for any help, if there is any suggestions to help me acieve my goal I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for a great thread!thumbsup_anim.gif

To the person who only had ethernet when they booted with -v -x32:

Remove RealtekR1000.kext. It is not x64 compatible. Instead use DSDT ethernet.

Eliade, I looked around quite a bit and didn't see many people using DSDT for the MSI Wind. Because you can't load the graphics/audio kexts from /E/E for some reason, I would have to modify /S/L/E anyways... I patched AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with the device id of the GMA950 (0x027ae), and along with my EFI string, the graphics were working fine. At first I didn't have 1024x600, but replacing a Display file, #717, the monitor is correctly detected and graphics fully works. I'm using VoodooHDA/prefpane for sound, and the interal mic seems to be working (which was the big issue in the past). Otherwise, I haven't used ethernet yet, as my Dell 1510 card was detected as native Airport, and other than that I think everything else (sleep takes a little long to take effect, and I have to still enable sleep by lid) is fine. I might look into DSDT today, but there isn't that much documentation on specific fixes for the Wind other than the lid sleep fix, USB removal error on wake, rc etc.

Finally, I have a question. Everytime I boot, after the BIOS screen, for a split second I see the GPT boot / message, but then it says "EBIOS READ ERROR BLOCKS 0 SECTOR 64" or something like that 4-5 times, then it proceeds to boot Chameleon and work fine.

Everyone else, ignore that lol, it has nothing to do with the GA EP45-UD3X series motherboards. Back on topic.

Eliade, or someone who knows the answer:

Why do the BIOS-settings from your (eliade) 10.5.7 guide differ with the settings recommended in this guide? Does disabling the virtualization cripple eg. parallels in any way?

no, the settings for 10.5.7 are fine in snow leopard

actually the settings in my 10.5.7 guide are not even mine

I have optimized default

with only sata set ahci set in the two places, overclocked , alarm for overheat, disabled floppy for he heck of it...and snow leo works great (Last time I installed Snow Leo, my bios was that way too and it worked fine), so did Leo

virtualization enabled works great

I've had one single kernel panic and that's when i was playing with overclock (while running mprime, vcore was too low), besides that my system is rock solid

Hi, I'm on UD3P. This is really weird but I patched my DSDT so that audio and network were working. BTW I had to change to 3outs legacy kext for digital audio output to work (???).

Hiya Ace,

I have been struggling to get my Audio to work properly. Could you please post the kext you used here? I have the same board as yours. Using no kext, I get audio only at rear. There are other kexts around, but they ONLY work in 32 bit. Does your work in 64 bit?

Thanks,

Hernando

Finally, I have a question. Everytime I boot, after the BIOS screen, for a split second I see the GPT boot / message, but then it says "EBIOS READ ERROR BLOCKS 0 SECTOR 64" or something like that 4-5 times, then it proceeds to boot Chameleon and work fine.

Everyone else, ignore that lol, it has nothing to do with the GA EP45-UD3X series motherboards. Back on topic.

that is strange, I don't now , google it (I'm sure you did)

have to go to class now ...

Hiya Ace,

I have been struggling to get my Audio to work properly. Could you please post the kext you used here? I have the same board as yours. Using no kext, I get audio only at rear. There are other kexts around, but they ONLY work in 32 bit. Does your work in 64 bit?

Thanks,

Hernando

Hi. To get the audio working, I followed the directions in the SL pack from this thread in the DSDT Stuff --> How to patch DSDT. It takes a little bit of time and care, but the instructions are very good if you follow them precisely. If you get errors compiling, try again or try a code editor rather than TextEdit. Another thing needed for it to work would be a bootloader that will load the DSDT. This thread includes PC EFI 10, but I am using Chameleon RC3.

When you copy over the Extra folder from the SL pack, the Extensions folder has a LegacyHDA kext in it. This works fine, but in order to get the right outputs (for me, I needed the digital outs) I replaced that kext with the gray one from the DSDT folder.

So that is:

/Extra/Extensions <-- delete LegacyHDA.kext

/SL Pack/DSDT Stuff/How to Patch DSDT/series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)/3out2in HDA headphone <-- copy kext to /Extra/Extensions

And, yes, works in 64bit.

use arch=i386 -legacy instead of -x32 too boot into 32-bit mode

I turns out that, for whatever reason the -arch=i386 flag was in my Boot.plist that I simply copied over from Leopard so my HD 3870 would work (barely, but that's a whole different porblem -- if you have this card you might hold off installing SL).

So I was wrong in asserting that you don't need the equivalent of -x32 when following these instructions with Chameleon RC3. I tried the same thing on my "rescue partition" without -arch=i386 and it froze with the spotlight indexing.

SO YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO REPLACE THE -x32 WITH arch=i386 WHEN USING CHAMELEON RC3 FOR THIS INSTALL.

To follow up on my network problem, I'm not sure what happened, but at some point my network cable got plugged into the wrong jack. I had tried switching these around before and it didn't do anything. So basically I have no way of knowing what broke or fixed it (because it was plugged into the wrong one when I was working on it), but it works now.

I have upgrade the bios to F11, Load Optimize Default, POWER OFF THE COMPUTER from the power source case, rebuild DSDT file, reinstall SL.

Everything is working now! AHCI detection is much faster on boot.

Without power off after Load Optimize Default, the network was not working (on my computer).