[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

temperture monitor / wacom tablet / vmware fusion not working in 64bit, I decided to go 32bit until they release something in 64bit, especially the wacom tablet (which should be sooner than later)

BUT I can't boot in 32bit anymore...

tried with the flag in com.apple.boot.plist

and manually during boot too.... (if I have "-x32 -v" the verbose mode is taken into account, what wouldn't -x32)

but I still get : " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes "

I don't understand !

could it be chameleon rc2 or the fact that I use the EFI partition, or both ?

Hi Machinist,

Thanks for all of your hard work on this. I'm trying to get it to work with my DSDT but I'm not sure what to add and what to remove from my current file (right now audio works with LegacyHDA in E/E). Would you be so kind as to take a look at my DSDT (attached) and incorporate your code into it? I would really appreciate it!

Try this and let me know how it goes. It's a compiled .aml file, just erase the .txt bit and install.

DSDT.aml.txt

temperture monitor / wacom tablet / vmware fusion not working in 64bit, I decided to go 32bit until they release something in 64bit, especially the wacom tablet (which should be sooner than later)

and manually during boot too.... (if I have "-x32 -v" the verbose mode is taken into account, what wouldn't -x32)

I don't understand !

Try the flag "arch=i386". If that doesn't work then try using the bootloader which comes with Chameleon, which should boot 32 bit by default, rather then the netkas efi one you no doubt swapped in. Or just reinstall Chameleon.

I don't understand !

Same issue here no more boot at all...

RC3 is now available for download, anyone give that a try??

I don't understand !

Did you try "-arch=i386" in your plist file instead of "-x32?"

Try the flag "arch=i386"...

thank you that worked

Did you try "-arch=i386" in your plist file instead of "-x32?"

thanks

JFLNYC, for future reference the exact syntax is without the "-" in front of it, just "arch=i386"

cause that's what I tried first, and I was still in 64bit

---

since I had the -x32 flag on my usb install disk using cham rc2 and the same netkas boot file (but not in EFI partition though), I suppose the "-x32" didn't take either, and I may actually have installed in 64bit without knowing... if so that means the OS can be installed in 64bit without trouble (no KP at all)...but since I'm unsure I don't know if that's truly the case.... anyway I'll keep my usb install disk the way it is...

Anyone use the hard drive maintenance program "SpinRite" with this Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard?

A poster on another forum says that the F9 bios on this board is detected as being defective:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2332415

http://www.grc.com/sr/kb/badbios.htm

I don't really see what this has to do with snow lepoard, but that's just me

spinrite from what I read is only for MS-DOS drives, HFS and MacOS has nothing to do with MS-DOS...

so I don't see why would anyone care in this thread...

I don't want to be rude but that seems out of place....

all I can say is that I've been running F9 bios for a while now and never had any problems with MacOS....

I don't really see what this has to do with snow lepoard, but that's just me

spinrite from what I read is only for MS-DOS drives, HFS and MacOS has nothing to do with MS-DOS...

so I don't see why would anyone care in this thread...

I don't want to be rude but that seems out of place....

all I can say is that I've been running F9 bios for a while now and never had any problems with MacOS....

http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

SpinRite is self-contained, including its own bootable FreeDOS operating system. It can be used on any operating system and any file system. This means it can run on drives formatted with Windows XP's NTFS and all other older FAT formats (in addition to all Linux, Novell, and all other file systems.) It can be used to pre-qualify and certify unformatted hard drives before their first use. Drives on non-PC platforms, such as Apple Macintosh or TiVo, may be temporarily relocated to a PC motherboard for data recovery, maintenance and repair by SpinRite.

============

The nature of the anomaly is that all data written during a maximum size multi-sector transfer, which immediately follows a maximum size multi-sector read, is "shifted down" or "skewed" by exactly 32-bits, or four bytes. 32-bits of zeroes are written at the beginning of the transfer and the last 32-bits of each sector are shifted into the first 32-bits of the following sector. The final 32-bits of the last sector fall off the end and are lost forever.

This appears to be caused by some sort of data transfer initialization error. But whatever the cause, it is obviously a bad thing and cannot be allowed to occur.

What to do:

Today, all we can do is detect the presence of this rare motherboard BIOS defect, warn users about what's happening, and refuse to proceed with any bulk data transfers on the afflicted motherboard.

Any user who receives this SpinRite Critical Error describing the motherboard's BIOS defect and error should either see whether the latest version of the BIOS for their motherboard might have cured this trouble, or temporarily relocate the drive(s) to be tested to any other motherboard where SpinRite will almost certainly agree to operate without trouble.

============================

32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector 1.3.3 [ 2.1Mb | Freeware | OS X 10.5/10.6]

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download6597.html

Im working on EP45-UD3 and everything worked now exept the Wireless Card,

it ist a D-Link DWA-547 that worked out of the box on 32bit, i deactivated the card, than switched to 64bit and the AirPort were gone.

I read in another Thread that the Atheros Driver only supported by 32bit so i switched back to 32bit, but the card is not available, is there a trick?

I have deleted the Airport from the NetworkPref. but this didn't helped me much.

I have rebuild my Kext cache

I bootet with every option that is available

thanks for help

http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

SpinRite is self-contained, including its own bootable FreeDOS operating system. It can be used on any operating system and any file system. This means it can run on drives formatted with Windows XP's NTFS and all other older FAT formats (in addition to all Linux, Novell, and all other file systems.) It can be used to pre-qualify and certify unformatted hard drives before their first use. Drives on non-PC platforms, such as Apple Macintosh or TiVo, may be temporarily relocated to a PC motherboard for data recovery, maintenance and repair by SpinRite.

============

The nature of the anomaly is that all data written during a maximum size multi-sector transfer, which immediately follows a maximum size multi-sector read, is "shifted down" or "skewed" by exactly 32-bits, or four bytes. 32-bits of zeroes are written at the beginning of the transfer and the last 32-bits of each sector are shifted into the first 32-bits of the following sector. The final 32-bits of the last sector fall off the end and are lost forever.

This appears to be caused by some sort of data transfer initialization error. But whatever the cause, it is obviously a bad thing and cannot be allowed to occur.

What to do:

Today, all we can do is detect the presence of this rare motherboard BIOS defect, warn users about what's happening, and refuse to proceed with any bulk data transfers on the afflicted motherboard.

Any user who receives this SpinRite Critical Error describing the motherboard's BIOS defect and error should either see whether the latest version of the BIOS for their motherboard might have cured this trouble, or temporarily relocate the drive(s) to be tested to any other motherboard where SpinRite will almost certainly agree to operate without trouble.

============================

32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector 1.3.3 [ 2.1Mb | Freeware | OS X 10.5/10.6]

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download6597.html

that seems scary :) , hopefully F11 won't have it

Eliade: I've got a question maybe you can answer. Geekbench crashes on startup for me on both my boards (EP45-UD3R and EX58-UD3R). I have the latest version (2.14) and have tried it in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. It only runs in Rosetta mode (ugh). Any idea what might be causing it? I've got no other app crashes (knock wood). Very frustrating.

Eliade: I've got a question maybe you can answer. Geekbench crashes on startup for me on both my boards (EP45-UD3R and EX58-UD3R). I have the latest version (2.14) and have tried it in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. It only runs in Rosetta mode (ugh). Any idea what might be causing it? I've got no other app crashes (knock wood). Very frustrating.

that's strange, I just tried the 32bit version in 32nit kernel, it starts up fine

try re-downloading it in case if your download was partially corrupted (rare but it happens)

or maybe the overclocking....

besides that I really don't know

Try this and let me know how it goes. It's a compiled .aml file, just erase the .txt bit and install.

DSDT.aml.txt

You, sir, are a genius. Thanks so much for helping me. My sound works now without any audio kexts... amazing! Now that my DSDT is perfect I'm going to give Snow Leopard a shot... wish me luck. I'm going to try it with Chameleon RC3.

Anyone use the hard drive maintenance program "SpinRite" with this Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard?

A poster on another forum says that the F9 bios on this board is detected as being defective:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2332415

Update (referring to SpinRite 6.0):

Tested as working normally (GA EP45-UD3R bios F11).

Note: have not yet attempted SL install on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F11 bios installed).

Also not tested: onboard OSX networking with that F11 bios.

My current Hackintosh machine is the Biostar P35 board shown in my sig, (still running 10.5.8).

My Geekbench score is 4379

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/165495

Is this any good?

Mobo: EP45-UD3R

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz No OC

GPU: Nvidia 9800GT

Ram: 4GB

HDD: 500GB Sata

Also im using your dsdt i dont know if that makes a difference. I didnt make my own since urs worked beautiful

Also i am on the original bios i think F1