Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

Hi BCC9,

Just want to say thanks a lot for this. I'm an IT admin but with a heavy windows base and I've only just really started to play with macs, so your info and guide has been invaluable. May have taken a few days to get my head around it all but now I think I'm there... at least for now.

Anyway, I've got a question regarding the nVidia drivers (9400M). On the nVidia site they have released OSX drivers for that card for 10.6.5 or later. Would these not be suitable to just install or do you think they would create issues as nVidia undoubtedly expect to go on a pure mac.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadro-maco...-driver-uk.html

I've not yet modded my DSDT file as on the previous attempt I screwed the install up, but that was possibly because I installed too much before testing each step with a reboot. And is it just a case of adding that single file and refreshing cache???

Supported Products;</p><p>
GT 330M, GT 320M
GTX 285 for MAC
GT 120
9400M
8800 GT
8800M GTS, 8800M GS
4000 for Mac
FX 5600, FX 4800 for MAC

Thanks a lot!

After upgrading to 10.6.6 and applying the patch, I started to get AppleHDA KP's. I fixed permissions and wiped out the cache

Now when starting, I get these errors

mach_kernel -v (Default)

FireWire runtime power conservation disabled (2)
FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1180 ID 832 PCI now active, GUID 314fc0001e652261: max speed s400

mach_kernel -v -x

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 34731 bytes 
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0

Then nothing on either. Left if for half hour with no progress..

Any help?? I'm going to try booting without the DSDT file which I got a feeling will work, but then I got crappy graphics.

Just want to say thanks a lot for this. I'm an IT admin but with a heavy windows base and I've only just really started to play with macs, so your info and guide has been invaluable. May have taken a few days to get my head around it all but now I think I'm there... at least for now.

Anyway, I've got a question regarding the nVidia drivers (9400M). On the nVidia site they have released OSX drivers for that card for 10.6.5 or later. Would these not be suitable to just install or do you think they would create issues as nVidia undoubtedly expect to go on a pure mac.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadro-maco...-driver-uk.html

I've not yet modded my DSDT file as on the previous attempt I screwed the install up, but that was possibly because I installed too much before testing each step with a reboot. And is it just a case of adding that single file and refreshing cache???

Thanks. I think this laptop makes a good transition machine from windows as you can run your few remaining windows only killer-aps, then reboot to osx for mac killer aps.

I didn't know nvidia was posting their own osx drivers for the 9400m. I suspect it would work fine, but what does the CUDA support buy you?

As for DSDT, that's picked up by the bootloader, not cached anywhere like kexts.

Then nothing on either. Left if for half hour with no progress..
Use -f to ignore the kext cache.

This laptop's cpu is pretty fast so you shouldn't have to wait more than 10 seconds for any basic OS task, at least without the hard disk activity light flashing away.

Hi again.. Can't get past these KP's.

Useful info;

panic(cpu 0 caller kernel trap, type 14 page fault registers

HEX>HEX HEX>HEX

HEX>HEX HEX>HEX

HEX>HEX HEX>HEX

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dep.)

org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA(2.7.2) HEX>HEX

dep:com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.0fc1) HEX>HEX

dep:com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6) HEX>HEX

any pointers in the right direction would be great.

org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA(2.7.2) HEX>HEX

dep:com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.0fc1) HEX>HEX

dep:com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6) HEX>HEX

any pointers in the right direction would be great.

So boot without voodoohda.

Sorry about the rushed reply. I was on 7% battery on a wireless dongle at 1am.

So boot without voodoohda.

This was what I was trying to do, but could locate the kext. I've found it this morning and removed it and everything else seems to be working top, including the sound. I've got Traktor/VDJ and a few other apps I want to test out my DVS. External firewire interface that's supposed to work natively with OSX so fingers crossed, as it's nothing to do with onboard sound that'll work too.

ToDo:

• Swap these bloody Alt/Win keys over.
  • Run other updates
  • Change chameleon to start mach_kernel not default_kernel

Appreciate your help and you uploading the files you've used. You've saved me a whole load of hunting round trying to learn from the inside out, but I've got a lot of grip on OSX since 3 days ago when I started playing. I'm actually starting to prefer this over Windows. Just need to do something about the way files/folders show up. It's so ugly just files not auto adjusting. lol

SinrG202,

Change chameleon to start mach_kernel not default_kernel -> what problem do you have? I believe you just need to edit com.apple.boot.plist in chameleon extra folder.

Swap these bloody Alt/Win keys over. -> I don't know how it can be done, but I really already use it as it works, almoslty need time for remember keys for fingers.

Run other updates -> You mean updates of Mac OS? If yes, here in this thread all changes are fixed time by time when new update is coming in.

bcc9, I don't know if we'll need new thread when Lion will released.

I try to find pci configuration begin stuck problem so what I only understood from desktops.

Yes, our laptop has little different dsdt than same nvidia mcp79 macbook or iMac. And now I'm finally not sure if it's the Device (PCI0) description problem. I found that mac hardware has registers in GNVS and GP0..GP14. When our Dell has no them at all and some of GNVS registers are in the EC0 device.

In asus motherboard actually I found that people changed the way of registered in ERAM (same thing as GNVS here), but it solved pci config begin.

I accurately tried to move deviced from and in LPCB in PCI0, but no result. I believe we'll find good way for it without changing IOPCIFamily for Lion specially, but now I currently see no way for it :(

Swap these bloody Alt/Win keys over.

I think you'll find that you want the OSX command key next to the space bar, which is the way I left it configured (pre-swapped for you) in VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist. The most common shortcuts use the command key and so it makes sense for it to be the closer key. If you swap it back you'll be backwards w.r.t. real mac keyboards.

See the "Swap command and option" key in the xml.

I try to find pci configuration begin stuck problem so what I only understood from desktops.
With lion you get hung after "pci configuration begin" if your system fails to have a UUID.

The boot log warns you that it failed to obtain a UUID...

You can configure one in your com.apple.boot.plist using the newer SystemId key.

I didn't realize you were still struggling with this.

In asus motherboard actually I found that people changed the way of registered in ERAM (same thing as GNVS here), but it solved pci config begin.
The system can hang after "pci configuration begin" for lots of reasons... What problem were they solving?

The system can hang after "pci configuration begin" for lots of reasons... What problem were they solving?

IOST, 16,

TOPM, 32,

ROMS, 32,

they added it to ERAM.

But it's not universal of course.

With lion you get hung after "pci configuration begin" if your system fails to have a UUID.

The boot log warns you that it failed to obtain a UUID...

You can configure one in your com.apple.boot.plist using the newer SystemId key.

I didn't realize you were still struggling with this.

still no luck after adding SystemID to com.apple.boot.plist. And I hadn't any UDID warnings.

my kernel log:

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x11 Vectors 64:87

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: PFM64 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration begin ]

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: console relocated to 0xf11000000

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: PCI configuration changed (bridge=7 device=2 cardbus=0)

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration end, bridges 8 devices 21 ]

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 15:59:02 Jun 13 2011) initialization complete

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device

Jun 24 01:35:48 localhost kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

I don't see console relocated to 0xf11000000 message already at the start.

EDIT: bcc9, I mean that system works, all good, I mean that if you boot it with -v, it will not show any console after pci configuration begin, did you understand?

All posts before when I talked about "stucking in pci configuration begin" was mean that system works great, can boot without problems and work without problems. The problem is that if you'll use verbose mode, you'll not see any console log after [pci configuration begin] and I'm trying to find out how console can be shown normally as always.

EDIT: bcc9, I mean that system works, all good, I mean that if you boot it with -v, it will not show any console after pci configuration begin, did you understand?
Ok, I do now. Why you'd call that the "stuck problem" I have no idea. Disregard my response given that clarification.

Also I still don't know what you think asus users have solved, that dsdt fragment showing bit assignments doesn't mean anything out of context.

Ok, I do now. Why you'd call that the "stuck problem" I have no idea. Disregard my response given that clarification.

Also I still don't know what you think asus users have solved, that dsdt fragment showing bit assignments doesn't mean anything out of context.

At first, I'm sorry because English is not my native and technics things sometimes can't be said right from my side.

The truth is that losing of console after pci configuration begin is too various for saying one worked solution. Asus thing is one of random solution, and mainly doesnt mean anything.

I think we should wait until apple will give sources of 10.6.8.

Change chameleon to start mach_kernel not default_kernel -> what problem do you have? I believe you just need to edit com.apple.boot.plist in chameleon extra folder.

Run other updates -> You mean updates of Mac OS? If yes, here in this thread all changes are fixed time by time when new update is coming in.

I made that change already. I was editing another file of the same name elsewhere. Guessing the one in extra overrides that.

Yeah, & in my wisdom I even ran the 10.6.8 update today. Ooops. There's a thread here of use though and I'm just going through it now. Repatching. Will let you know how it goes although you are probably way ahead of me.

Swap these bloody Alt/Win keys over. -> I don't know how it can be done, but I really already use it as it works, almoslty need time for remember keys for fingers.

I think you'll find that you want the OSX command key next to the space bar, which is the way I left it configured (pre-swapped for you) in VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist. The most common shortcuts use the command key and so it makes sense for it to be the closer key. If you swap it back you'll be backwards w.r.t. real mac keyboards.

See the "Swap command and option" key in the xml.

Yeah I think it is backwards, just like the windows flag on the keyboard to be the apple logo on the mac.. visual 'flag' excuse the pun.

I managed to change it in the control panel equiv. Thanks for the pointers though, I'm getting more confident with delving into things now i kinda understand mac structure. Little linux background helps with console/terminal commands

Anyway. Off to tackle this now with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and my trusty usb stick..

Also. My method of install was slightly different. I used the Nawcom boot and Retail release. Seemed to pack out loads of drivers in the install. Just researching it now too. Without this thread I doubt I'd be running a sweet ass system like I am now.. Minus the 10.6.8 update, Fortunately I had ghosted the drive beforehand.

okay, did a quick update to 10.6.8 via software update and everything seems working except Audio and Battery status, etc. Has a new version of "patch-hda" and "AppleACPIPlatform_MCP79.pkg" been out for 10.6.8? Btw, now when booting my laptop, it hangs at "pci configuration begin". No more verbose message displayed after that, any idea? It also runs a bit lagging. Sometimes no response for a while. Now in system profiler, it recognizes 9400m but didn't show hardware accelerated anymore.

Also. My method of install was slightly different. I used the Nawcom boot and Retail release. Seemed to pack out loads of drivers in the install

Ugh, no wonder you've been having problems. Suspected something like that when you wrote that you had voodoohda crashing even though post #1 didn't say to install it. If you'd just follow post #1 you also should get the least surprising command/option key layout by default.

Not really reasonable to use a random guide and then come here for support instead of where the guide came from.

Kind of wishing right now that I could lock threads after posting the guide...

At first, I'm sorry because English is not my native and technics things sometimes can't be said right from my side.
Way better than my (or google translate's) russian. Guess I'm used to having a support team to deal with other countries... Hey maybe you could have Mr. Slice translate :)

Way better than my (or google translate's) russian. Guess I'm used to having a support team to deal with other countries... Hey maybe you could have Mr. Slice translate :worried_anim:

I don't think slice writes bad in English. Btw, I think the problem is that we write in English how we think in Russian, so, it's why words are so different sometimes.

Ugh, no wonder you've been having problems. Suspected something like that when you wrote that you had voodoohda crashing even though post #1 didn't say to install it. If you'd just follow post #1 you also should get the least surprising command/option key layout by default.

Not really reasonable to use a random guide and then come here for support instead of where the guide came from.

Kind of wishing right now that I could lock threads after posting the guide...

Way better than my (or google translate's) russian. Guess I'm used to having a support team to deal with other countries... Hey maybe you could have Mr. Slice translate :)

is there a new patch-hda and acpiplatform patch for 10.6.8? Tried acpiplatform 1.5.pkg and patch-hda-v4 with no luck

Chill, It didnt just come about like that. Im limited to mobile broadband at home or via a playbook, so no large downloads, and I was doing it guideless till i found this thread otherwise i wouldve used this method. As it was it went pretty well and im happy with the learning curve. Finding fault finding a bit more logical now. only pointers i needed and ive said thanks.

Anyway after the 10.6.8 update I got the PCI configuration begin error, but fixed that with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Retail setup, which was the OS version you mentioned.

Anyway after the 10.6.8 update I got the PCI configuration begin error, but fixed that with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Retail setup, which was the OS version you mentioned.

which [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]? based on chameleon or xpc? may you give a link here?

which [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]? based on chameleon or xpc? may you give a link here?

it was the latest one burnt to cd, with retail osx on a dual layer dvd. couldnt get it to find osx on usb.

wasnt able to load into anything but the retail cd then term from there to revert things etc.

it was the latest one burnt to cd, with retail osx on a dual layer dvd. couldnt get it to find osx on usb.

wasnt able to load into anything but the retail cd then term from there to revert things etc.

em. are you able to give me a link to site where you downloaded it?

I don't think slice writes bad in English. Btw, I think the problem is that we write in English how we think in Russian, so, it's why words are so different sometimes.
Agree, that's why I was suggesting he could translate :D

I don't recommend [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], it lacks many of the recent improvements to chameleon.

I can't in general recommend tonymac re-packs at all actually. Their re-packs leave you not knowing what was changed or why, or where to go for details on those changes. Not to mention the lack of proper attribution over there...

If you want to discuss tonymac distributions please take it elsewhere.