NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

First off, thanks to everyone in this thread for all the great information. This thread (along with Tony's site) were the instruction manuals for building my computer. I've built pretty much the same system that Tony has. I followed all of the instructions on his site and everything is working great. My current problem is with trying to overclock it. My standard geekbench (64-bit) score is 7188. But when I overclock it, my score actually drops below 5000. :P There must be something I'm doing wrong, because I see some geekbench numbers over 10,000 for similar setups. I'm new to overclocking, so there's a very good chance I'm doing something wrong. My setup is:

gigabyte p55-ud2

i5 750

nvidia 5500

4GB OCZ DDR3 - 1600 RAM

Any ideas on why my geekbench score would drop?

Mike

You need to either make sure the EIST is enabled in the BIOS under MIT > Advanced CPU features or put NullCPUPowerManagment.kext back in Extra/Extensions.

This is a common problem that is Mac OS X specific, not Hackintosh related. Go here and try this script; Pioneer BDR sleep fix script. :P

Hi Bansaku,

This didn't help the autosleep problem.

I searched the whole forum a bit. It seems true that some optical SATA drives prevent OSX from Autosleep. I'm wondering to open a new thread all about what drives does work flawlessly and which don't.

Perhaps some of you guys with P55 Chipset first tell us which drives prevent OSX from autosleep.

I will begin with mine:

LG BH08LS connected via SATA to one of the Intel SATA ports:

Manual sleep works

Autosleep doesn't work

It resets itself from time to time when idle but doesn't disappear after sleep and also doesn't cause any error entires in the console log.

I wrote an E-Mail to LG-Support concerning the firmware supporting Mac's sleep commands. Maybe I will get a reasonable answere, then I will post it here.

Any1 else with Bluray SATA drive (burner) who have proplems with sleep or perhaps is working properly with sleep.

greetings

macdanger

Any1 else with Bluray SATA drive (burner) who have proplems with sleep or perhaps is working properly with sleep.

Hey there,

I have an LG GBC-H20L BluRay drive, which is preventing auto sleep for me. If I disconnect it, auto-sleep works fine. I tried that script, but also with no results. Also tried the "leaving a blank disc in the drive trick", no go.

Strange thing is, I had this drive (along with a Samsung DVD drive) installed in my UD3P, and auto sleep worked fine on that.

I have a P55-UD3R with Pioneer BDR-205 Bluray burner. With the new Chameleon RC4 + patches I have autosleep working now (without kernal panics or random disc errors). I plugged the bluray drive into the gigabyte SATA port and set it as an IDE device. Not sure if this helped or what, but now it works.

Make sure you use the new Chameleon RC4 off Tonymac's blog (the one with all the fixes). Now in my extra's folder I just have fakesmc and jmicronATA.

Running stable OC to 3.2 BLK 160 core i5.

Hope that helps somebody.

You can also just use this program:

http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/

I have it working with a Blu-ray and a DVD drive, neither of which is auto-sleep compatible on their own. It works in 32-bit and 64-bit.

Thanks for the link. I will test this. It seems a bit more intelligent then the other AppleSripts floating around. If it works, I will definitly donate to the author.

I have a P55-UD3R with Pioneer BDR-205 Bluray burner. With the new Chameleon RC4 + patches I have autosleep working now (without kernal panics or random disc errors). I plugged the bluray drive into the gigabyte SATA port and set it as an IDE device. Not sure if this helped or what, but now it works.

Make sure you use the new Chameleon RC4 off Tonymac's blog (the one with all the fixes). Now in my extra's folder I just have fakesmc and jmicronATA.

Running stable OC to 3.2 BLK 160 core i5.

Hope that helps somebody.

Thanks for the replay, I will try the new fixed Chameleon RC4 with the new boot file. Maybe it helps. I will edit this Post for the results.

You need to either make sure the EIST is enabled in the BIOS under MIT > Advanced CPU features or put NullCPUPowerManagment.kext back in Extra/Extensions.

That's what I was missing! Switched the EIST on in the BIOS, and my geekbench score shot up over 10,000! Thanks!

Mike

Does anyone have any issues with USB devices not working after a shutdown or restart?

My system based on a P55M-UD2 gigabyte board gets itself in a mess after OS X runs. No issues after a restart/shutdown in Windows 7.

I have to physically power the system off again, i.e. for a 2nd time after a shutdown for it to work again.

I've tried EvoReboot, OSXRestart and No Kext helper. All three work, i.e. shutdown/restart but all 3 have the same issue with the next power on or boot.

Any ideas? I've tried all flavours of BIOS too, including one released today F7C, no change:-(

Cheers

That's what I was missing! Switched the EIST on in the BIOS, and my geekbench score shot up over 10,000! Thanks!

Mike

Hi A4Mode,

is this your geekbench with or without overclocking? I have the P55-UD4 and i7 but I don't get more than 6600 no matter which boot file I use. I alread set everything to Enabled in M.I.T. but doesn't change anything.

And yes, it seems native speedstepping is working, I can see that in my volt-o-meter. The system is using 97W when idle, exact the same as under Windows 7 when idle.

Maybe a geekbench of around 6600 (64Bit) and around 5000(32Bit) is normal without overclocking?

greetings

macdanger

Thanks for the link. I will test this. It seems a bit more intelligent then the other AppleSripts floating around. If it works, I will definitly donate to the author.

Thanks for the replay, I will try the new fixed Chameleon RC4 with the new boot file. Maybe it helps. I will edit this Post for the results.

OK, it seems the newes chameleon boot files at least solved the drive resetting but it doesn't help for automatic sleep. I will try to set the controller for the Bluray drive to IDE, maybe this helps.

For now the little tool "PleaseSleep" seems to do a very good job for autosleep. It just works.

Greetings

macdanger

Hi A4Mode,

is this your geekbench with or without overclocking? I have the P55-UD4 and i7 but I don't get more than 6600 no matter which boot file I use. I alread set everything to Enabled in M.I.T. but doesn't change anything.

And yes, it seems native speedstepping is working, I can see that in my volt-o-meter. The system is using 97W when idle, exact the same as under Windows 7 when idle.

Maybe a geekbench of around 6600 (64Bit) and around 5000(32Bit) is normal without overclocking?

That's my OC'd geekbench (64-bit). I have everything disabled on that screen except for the EIST, and the voltages I left auto.

I'm still having problems with the system freezing on me. Sometimes it'll just lock up entirely, and I have to reboot. Then it'll run for days with no problem, but once I reboot, it locks up again. Once it's running for a while, I get afraid to reboot. It seems like every 5th (or so) reboot is OK, but once it starts I just have to keep rebooting and cross my fingers. Is this the usb sleep problem, or something else? Maybe I'm missing a BIOS setting? I was having this problem prior to the overclock, so I don't believe it's related to that...

do you have all the CPU features set to enabled or auto?

My geekbench 32bit score for a standard clock i7 860 is approx 8000 so something isn't quite right there.

Wow, found out why my geekbench was so low: I updated my P55-UD4 BIOS from f3 to f5 and now I have a geekbench of >9000 :)

Additionally I found this in my startuplog:

20.01.10 23:17:25 kernel AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1145

20.01.10 23:17:25 kernel AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

Never had this before even when activating all advanced features in M.I.T.

And even the startup is much faster now.

Hope this helps others

greetings

macdanger

ive been having a few kernel panics lately while typing in website login details. it may of happened after i tried to copy do the EFI partition and i stuffed up so had to repair the hard disk, but im not sure.

no panic logs are left at all in Console or in the libraries. anyone have a clue?

audio was the hardest thing to get working for me. i have the UD4P with ALC889a.

get your mobo's DSDT from tony's blog, put AppleHDA in System's Extensions and LegacyHDA_ALC888B in Extra's Extensions from the tonymacx86-snowleopard zip (or LegacyHDA from treky which i use, not sure if they are different) then make a cache for both Extensions folders. keep working at it using different methods if it doesnt work.

the audio might start working before rebooting which happened to me. also i started to get crappy audio after a while, but fixed this by re-doing my own DSDT (tony has instructions on this in his DSDT downloads).

Hey all you fellow GA-P55M-UD2 owners- I just figured out the ALC 888b DSDT code to enable use with the 10.6.2 Vanilla AppleHDA.kext! Small step, but one that was bugging me like crazy. Links at the post below:

Updated ALC 888b DSDT for GA-P55M-UD2

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/upd...a-p55m-ud2.html

EDIT: You must update to the latest GA-P55M-UD2 bios (f7c) for this to work!

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard...=3167#anchor_os

:)

Hey all you fellow GA-P55M-UD2 owners- I just figured out the ALC 888b DSDT code to enable use with the 10.6.2 Vanilla AppleHDA.kext! Small step, but one that was bugging me like crazy. Links at the post below:

Updated ALC 888b DSDT for GA-P55M-UD2

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/upd...a-p55m-ud2.html

EDIT: You must update to the latest GA-P55M-UD2 bios (f7c) for this to work!

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard...=3167#anchor_os

:)

Excellent work Tony! Now let's hope 10.6.3 (which sounds like it is getting closer) doesn't bring any HDA suprises.