NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

I'm up and running, but still not able to get sound after installing the AppleHDA.kext from Tonymac's CD.

System Profiler shows the following:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 887

Available Devices:

Sound Control Panel reads "No output devices found"

Hey everyone-

Don't mean to spread blogspam, but I just put up a new support forum for my guides and other related info. I'm really hoping that we can get some good discussions going there- take a minute to register and say hello!

:unsure:http://www.tonymacx86.com :)

I'm up and running, but still not able to get sound after installing the AppleHDA.kext from Tonymac's CD.

System Profiler shows the following:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 887

Available Devices:

Sound Control Panel reads "No output devices found"

You'll need to put the 10.6.1 AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and rebuild caches. Make sure you've updated to 10.6.2. Also, you will need the DSDT from the CD as well. Then you'll have sound on the UD2. :)

I thought I had done that, but maybe I missed a step. I'll go through it again.

Is there an easy way to tell if the AppleHDA.kext in my System/Library/Extensions is the correct one from 10.6.1? Get info shows the one I have as version 1.7.4a1

*edit*

Went through the steps again - now it works, so I must have missed something the first time. Thanks!

Hey everyone-

Don't mean to spread blogspam, but I just put up a new support forum for my guides and other related info. I'm really hoping that we can get some good discussions going there- take a minute to register and say hello!

:blink:http://www.tonymacx86.com :D

I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say BLOGSPAM AWAY Tony! :)

Great new addition, and as always, awesome work!

So to anyone interested (for compatable hardwares' sake) I have the following system up and running dual booting OS X 10.6.2 and Windows 7:

Intel i5 750

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L

4 GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

2x WD Caviar Black 750 GB HD (intel SATA ports, not the gigabyte ones)

eVGA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

LG DVD burner Model GH24NS50 (intel SATA)

To do this I followed Tonymacx86's retail DVD method on his blog using the standard install CD that he made. Thank you very much TonyMac. you made this terribly easy for a first timer with little experience. I also used his DSDT file for the p55-UD3L and the kexts for the ALC888 sound controller from the following thread to get sound to work: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199852

I placed both kexts in both system/library/extensions and extra/extensions. I placed the DSDT file in the root / using terminal. As of right now, sound works out of the first of the 3 Line outs, but not the digital out. I am getting occasional feedback but it is not terrible. Any ideas for a fix? I know this is vague, but I do not know what the relevant info is for fixing this. Everything else works like gangbusters except for sleep. With sleep, OS X comes back, but then crashes b/c of Kernel panic. I have not tried time machine yet, but will soon. Windows 7 still loads from the boot loader and seems to not have any issues.

Everybody who has worked to figure this out especially TonyMac, thank you guys. You saved my wallet from having to shell out for a Mac Pro.

oops, sleep is what I need a fix for. I should proofread my posts better.

I was doing some benchmarking on my dual-booting system and noticed that I am scoring ~45% lower on cinebench 32-bit under Snow Leopard than I am under Win 7 running the same 32-bit cinebench test. (8,300 in OS X and 16,000 in Win7 32/23,000 in 64-bit win7.

I am using a vanilla install with TonyMac's DSDT.aml and fakesmc, OSXRestart, and sound kexts. That's it =/

SL is running in 32-bit compatibility mode. I guess I might try switching over to 64-bit SL and running with no DSDT just to see what happens.

What could be destroying my performance?

Edit:

Running the test in a 64-bit SL gives me a score of 12,126. So, that is a nice boost, but still not quite right.

First off, thanks to everyone in this thread for all the great information. This thread (along with Tony's site) were the instruction manuals for building my computer. I've built pretty much the same system that Tony has. I followed all of the instructions on his site and everything is working great. My current problem is with trying to overclock it. My standard geekbench (64-bit) score is 7188. But when I overclock it, my score actually drops below 5000. :blink: There must be something I'm doing wrong, because I see some geekbench numbers over 10,000 for similar setups. I'm new to overclocking, so there's a very good chance I'm doing something wrong. My setup is:

gigabyte p55-ud2

i5 750

nvidia 9500

4GB OCZ DDR3 - 1600 RAM

Any ideas on why my geekbench score would drop?

Mike

First off, thanks to everyone in this thread for all the great information. This thread (along with Tony's site) were the instruction manuals for building my computer. I've built pretty much the same system that Tony has. I followed all of the instructions on his site and everything is working great. My current problem is with trying to overclock it. My standard geekbench (64-bit) score is 7188. But when I overclock it, my score actually drops below 5000. ;) There must be something I'm doing wrong, because I see some geekbench numbers over 10,000 for similar setups. I'm new to overclocking, so there's a very good chance I'm doing something wrong. My setup is:

gigabyte p55-ud2

i5 750

nvidia 5500

4GB OCZ DDR3 - 1600 RAM

Any ideas on why my geekbench score would drop?

Mike

What Kext Files do you have in your /E/E folder?

What Kext Files do you have in your /E/E folder?

What's in there currently, is:

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I've also had the occasional lock up shortly after rebooting. I sometimes have to reboot 4 or five times before It'll run more than 5 minutes without freezing. Once I'm past that 5 minutes, everything seems really stable.

Mike

What's in there currently, is:

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I've also had the occasional lock up shortly after rebooting. I sometimes have to reboot 4 or five times before It'll run more than 5 minutes without freezing. Once I'm past that 5 minutes, everything seems really stable.

Mike

Not an overclocker, so I can't help you there. Are you using the DSDT from tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip or from the DSDT-FIXES.zip? Since you don't have NullCPUPowerManagement I assume it's the updated one in the DSDT-FIXES.zip. If not, that may be the issue. Also, have you updated the bios?

Not an overclocker, so I can't help you there. Are you using the DSDT from tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip or from the DSDT-FIXES.zip? Since you don't have NullCPUPowerManagement I assume it's the updated one in the DSDT-FIXES.zip. If not, that may be the issue. Also, have you updated the bios?

I believe I have the most recent DSDT, from the FIXES.zip. I have not upgraded the bios, though. I believe it's still at F3. Could that be causing the random freezing? And thanks again for all the great help. This forum (and thread) is amazing!

Mike

I believe I have the most recent DSDT, from the FIXES.zip. I have not upgraded the bios, though. I believe it's still at F3. Could that be causing the random freezing? And thanks again for all the great help. This forum (and thread) is amazing!

Mike

It could be, the DSDT was extracted from bios version F5. If you know what you're doing, I'd go ahead and update the bios. It's an important bios update- there were massive USB issues with bios version F3.

It could be, the DSDT was extracted from bios version F5. If you know what you're doing, I'd go ahead and update the bios. It's an important bios update- there were massive USB issues with bios version F3.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I updated the BIOS to F5. The computer feels more stable, though I have nothing to go by but my gut, but my overclock geekbench scores are still lower than my "stock" setup. :)

Well, I updated the BIOS to F5. The computer feels more stable, though I have nothing to go by but my gut, but my overclock geekbench scores are still lower than my "stock" setup. :rolleyes:

Did you test the overclock at all?

Booting into the OS is not a test. You need to use stress testing programs. OS X stress testing programs pretty much all suck.

Install windows and use OCCT. If your overclock is not stable that would most certainly lower any benchmarking scores--if not just crash your computer altogether.

hey guys

first of all thank you very much for your great work.... this is awesome!

i bought a new system :

- Intel i5-750 QuadCore

- GA-P55A-UD3 Mainboard

- HIS Radeon 4670 HD Silence

- Western Digital 1001 FalsBack

- G.Skill 4GB DDR3 - 1333 MHZ

and i tried the how to "http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/install-os-x-snow-leopard-directly-from.html"

but i doesn't worked. i also tried a beta image and also the EmpireEFI_V108_i5 and the empireefi 1.085... all end at this point or in safemode in the second pic:

img0663r.jpg

img0665e.jpg

any ideas?

thank you so much

USB Problems

Has anyone else experienced USB problems such as mouse lag, and more importantly iPhone not recognized by itunes? I'm an iPhone developer so this is particularly annoying!

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: MuxClearPipeStall Can't clear pipe stall 2. Error: 0xe00002ed

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: MuxInterfaceLogLevelSent send failed: 0xe00002c0

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: SetConfiguration failed: 0xe00002ed

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: USBDeviceClose failed: 0xe00002c0

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: ClientUSBDataSent send failed for 0x3200060, result=0xe00002c0

Any ideas welcome!

USB Problems

Has anyone else experienced USB problems such as mouse lag, and more importantly iPhone not recognized by itunes? I'm an iPhone developer so this is particularly annoying!

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: MuxClearPipeStall Can't clear pipe stall 2. Error: 0xe00002ed

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: MuxInterfaceLogLevelSent send failed: 0xe00002c0

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: SetConfiguration failed: 0xe00002ed

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: USBDeviceClose failed: 0xe00002c0

Jan 17 13:26:02 snell com.apple.usbmuxd[630]: ClientUSBDataSent send failed for 0x3200060, result=0xe00002c0

Any ideas welcome!

Update your bios, and all will work fine- Gigabyte and other P55 manufacturers had USB difficulties with early bios versions. Hope this helps!

hey guys

first of all thank you very much for your great work.... this is awesome!

i bought a new system :

- Intel i5-750 QuadCore

- GA-P55A-UD3 Mainboard

- HIS Radeon 4670 HD Silence

- Western Digital 1001 FalsBack

- G.Skill 4GB DDR3 - 1333 MHZ

and i tried the how to "http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/install-os-x-snow-leopard-directly-from.html"

but i doesn't worked. i also tried a beta image and also the EmpireEFI_V108_i5 and the empireefi 1.085... all end at this point or in safemode in the second pic:

any ideas?

thank you so much

Are you using an IDE CD/DVD drive? This causes issues with the Boot CD method.

no i have a sata dvd drive (lg-gh22ns) and i turned the ahci mode on in bios... also i updated the bios to F5

I think it's your 4870- we're trying to get a working Boot CD for that card- it seems like some have had luck with -x, others not so much. Try this boot cd-

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...&p=165#p165

"Tested ... confirm working on ATI 4870.

Boot with -x (safe mode) to setup"