Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

10.6.2 busted my audio.... running so well for so long... now i'm busted.

On board audio uses Realtek ALC1200 and latest driver for 10.6.2 can be found here.  Make sure to use v2.4.2 of kext utility by cVad because older versions (v2.3.x) would fail with new applehda kext.  In case you don't feel like registering at torrentmac, I attached util below.

KextUtility.v.2.4.2.full.SL.x64.ready.by.cVad.zip

Purchased HP 2509m monitor and I'm trying to get HDMI to work. Suggestions? nvkush? nvinject? nothing? I cannot get much to work anymore. I don't need audio thru HDMI, just video. Please HELP!

EDIT: I was using DVI, then I wanted to use HDMI... Now I can only use HD15 or DVI (1080) via safe mode. What the hell?

Purchased HP 2509m monitor and I'm trying to get HDMI to work. Suggestions? nvkush? nvinject? nothing? I cannot get much to work anymore. I don't need audio thru HDMI, just video. Please HELP!

EDIT: I was using DVI, then I wanted to use HDMI... Now I can only use HD15 or DVI (1080) via safe mode. What the hell?

i'm using a hdmi monitor with a hdmi/dvi cable wich is plugged into the dvi. i'm doing this because thats the cable my monitor was deliverd with. i've never tried to use it with a hdmi/hdmi cable. a hdmi/dvi adapter cable should also work for you, but it is somehow a workaround since the hdmi should work else we can't claim that everything on this board is working. 

Here is the updated bios with fixed SATA device-id. Thanx to all on this thread!

Just upgraded the bios, It's working flawlessly.

For those who get errors while updating the BIOS, You just need to rename the file to :

"P5N7A-VM-0514.ROM"

Thanks guys for the great work

John

Is there a way to make OS X think that DVI is the primary port?

Reason for this: I was playing around why I do get a bluescreen when I’m changing resolution on my TFT (HP2309m connected via DVI). So for testing purposes I additionally connected my old CRT via VGA. OSX automatically detects CRT as the primary monitor and extends the desktop to TFT. When I’m now changing the resolution, it only works on the CRT while my tft shows a bluescreen.

But If I adjust my TFT as the main screen in system preferences, resolution change works on TFT and CRT shows up a bluescreen instead.

The problem is that after I disconnect the crt I do get my old problem back.

So is there a way to change the "main port"?

Thx

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on P5Q Pro with ATI 4850. System profiler shows 2 Intel High Definition Audio devices. Only the 2nd device is for the onboard audio and it shows all the various input/output ports correctly. But still no sound. The sound preference shows no device. Found out that the ATI card's in-built sound conflicts with the onboard Audio. How do I resolve this?

Here's the latest bios with a few cosmetic tweaks. Have also attached modded fakesmc so it appears identical to that found in a MacMini3,1 and fixes the console errors found on startup in 10.6.2. Also an updated smbios.plist. I think the way to set DVI as the primary is by changing the NVCAP. The three possible variations are:

DVI-I / DVI-I - BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

VGA / DVI-I - BAAAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=

DVI-I / VGA - BAAAAAAAAwAEAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

These values are BASE64 encoded and so need to be converted to hex for use in the dsdt. Use the translator at Translator

Cheers

P5N7AV3.ROM.zip

fakesmc.kext.zip

smbios.plist.zip

Here's the latest bios with a few cosmetic tweaks. Have also attached modded fakesmc so it appears identical to that found in a MacMini3,1 and fixes the console errors found on startup in 10.6.2. Also an updated smbios.plist. I think the way to set DVI as the primary is by changing the NVCAP. The three possible variations are:

These values are BASE64 encoded and so need to be converted to hex for use in the dsdt. Use the translator at Translator

Cheers

I appreciate your response. I need a little more help in understanding what you have said. I want the onboard audio to work (basically disable the audio in the ati graphics card). Currently system profiler shows onboard audio as the 2nd component. What do I need to do with the files you attached to get it working? Thanks much for your help

I appreciate your response. I need a little more help in understanding what you have said. I want the onboard audio to work (basically disable the audio in the ati graphics card). Currently system profiler shows onboard audio as the 2nd component. What do I need to do with the files you attached to get it working? Thanks much for your help

the files postet by dgsga don't adress your problem. you try to get the sound working without your external graphics card, if you got that (should be working by flashing bios with the one dgsga supplied and putting legacyapplehda.kext from one or two pages back into extensions) you could be putting back your graphics card and look what happens to move on.

@dgsga

what did you change in your newest bios, i use it with the fakesmc and the smbios.plist but i can't notice any difference in behavior

anyone here with an aggregatet analog 5.1 device? is it normal that stereo signals won't use all channels? thats frustrating

Cheers

Hey dgsga,

I've tried DVI-I / DVI-I - BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= and resolution change works for me now. (Created a dsdt.dsl using dsdt_patcher, edited and recompiled it) But I have to admit though that I'm unable to patch the dsdt in the bios. :)

When I'm using dsdt bios patcher it creates a patched bios file which is invalid according to the asus flash-tool.

So can you please create another version of your latest bios with NVCAP BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= ???

Hey dgsga,

I've tried DVI-I / DVI-I - BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= and resolution change works for me now. (Created a dsdt.dsl using dsdt_patcher, edited and recompiled it) But I have to admit though that I'm unable to patch the dsdt in the bios. :)

When I'm using dsdt bios patcher it creates a patched bios file which is invalid according to the asus flash-tool.

So can you please create another version of your latest bios with NVCAP BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= ???

Looks like the above solutions don't work for my motherboard (P5Q Pro w ATI 48xx card). How do I enable sound on my system? Currently there is no onboard audio at all? I need the onboard audio working not ATI as I don't have the DVI plugged into a monitor with audio.

Looks like the above solutions don't work for my motherboard (P5Q Pro w ATI 48xx card). How do I enable sound on my system? Currently there is no onboard audio at all? I need the onboard audio working not ATI as I don't have the DVI plugged into a monitor with audio.

So you have a P5Q Pro motherboard. So far as I know it uses the same chipset (ALC 12000). You could grab dsgsa's LegacyAppleHDA.kext and try to extract audio relevant parts of his dsdt and apply it to yours.

ok, someone PLEASE help me here.. I'm about to lose my mind.

I am dual booting 10.5.8 and 10.6.2 and both seem to be running identically for the most part, but the AUDIO in 10.6.2 stutters violently and plays slowly as well... that is.. unless I am moving my mouse (USB) around. Using the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext recently referenced in this thread and no other audio kext changes. Makes no sense to me.

Any ideas?

Also seems like GPU is not working as well in SL, but I have no real evidence of that. I have removed the DSDT info for IGP and letting PC EFI 10.5 pick it up.

try dgsga bios, legacyapplehda.kext, fakesmc and openhaltrestart

thats really all what is needed to run snow leopard (maybee a orange icon fix but i don't care since i believe it's the right way to show those drives, they can be hotplugged, i do it all the time)

Flashed with dgsga's v3 bios, removed DSDT.aml from /Extra, replaced AppleHDA in /S/L/E with 10.6.2 vanilla.. put fakesmc and legacyapplehda in /E/E

Now no sound at all. Restart doesn't seem to work now either.

Ideas?

EDIT: Another reboot and sound works. Not sure about restart.

you need to use openhaltrestart

i can only repeat it, it's so easy now "dgsga bios, legacyapplehda.kext, fakesmc and openhaltrestart" thats really all thats needed for this board. beside of having set controller to AHCI and "USB legacy off".

EvoReboot.kext is another option to use to fix restart/shutdown, if you don't want Psystar in your ioreg.

No {censored}, that has to do with the graphics injection. Maybe if you posted in a P5Q thread you might get some help.

you need to use openhaltrestart

i can only repeat it, it's so easy now "dgsga bios, legacyapplehda.kext, fakesmc and openhaltrestart" thats really all thats needed for this board. beside of having set controller to AHCI and "USB legacy off".

sleep and restart are working fine for me without the openhaltrestart.kext

My current configuration:

Chameleon RC3

No DSDT

All vanilla kexts in S/L/E

Only extensions in /E/E: LegacyAppleHDA, fakesmc

I'm also now getting better scores in OpenGL Extensions Viewer benchmarks (on par with 10.5.8 using OEM BIOS and DSDT from freshcocoa).

Many thanks to dgsga. I wish I understood more about how exactly you made this work so well! :)

Hey dgsga,

Here it is!

p5n7av4.rom.zip