Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using BIOS version 504. Do you know if either of those dsdt.aml files will work with a dual core E5200 without having to edit and recompile (I know nothing about doing this)?

Follow dgsga's directions on post #720 to get your processor's p-states and then post them here; i'll add your p-states and repost the edited dsdt.aml

Bobisdead...

No, DSDTGUI won't do it. You need to get your p-states and manually put them into your dsdt.aml using iasl.

Follow dgsga's directions on post #720 to get your processor's p-states and then post them here; i'll add your p-states and repost the edited dsdt.aml

Bobisdead...

No, DSDTGUI won't do it. You need to get your p-states and manually put them into your dsdt.aml using iasl.

Here is my DSDT for the E5200. I've done this using the last one that dsdga posted. Then I obtained the p states for the E5200 and edited the DSDT accordly. The original DSDT was for quadcore, so I deleted cores 3 and 4 and edited the p states for cores 1 and 2. For me seems to be working, also speedstep, but I'm not sure if this procedure is correct or I need to edit something else for the transition from 4 core to 2 core. Could you check if my DSDT is correct?

Here are the p states for the E5200:

Name (_PSS, Package ()

{ Package (0x06) { 15200, 64080, 10, 10, 0x4C17, 0x4C17 },

Package (0x06) { 2400, 10117, 10, 10, 0xC17, 0xC17 },

Package (0x06) { 15000, 63236, 10, 10, 0x4B17, 0x4B17 },

Package (0x06) { 2200, 9274, 10, 10, 0xB17, 0xB17 },

Package (0x06) { 14800, 62393, 10, 10, 0x4A17, 0x4A17 },

Package (0x06) { 2000, 8431, 10, 10, 0xA17, 0xA17 },

Package (0x06) { 14600, 61550, 10, 10, 0x4917, 0x4917 },

Package (0x06) { 1800, 7588, 10, 10, 0x917, 0x917 },

Package (0x06) { 14400, 60707, 10, 10, 0x4817, 0x4817 },

Package (0x06) { 1600, 6745, 10, 10, 0x817, 0x817 },

Package (0x06) { 14200, 59864, 10, 10, 0x4717, 0x4717 },

Package (0x06) { 1400, 5902, 10, 10, 0x717, 0x717 },

Package (0x06) { 14000, 59021, 10, 10, 0x4617, 0x4617 },

Package (0x06) { 1200, 5058, 10, 10, 0x617, 0x617 }

})

Thanks.

dsdt_e5200_p5n7a_vm.zip

Here is my DSDT for the E5200. I've done this using the last one that dsdga posted. Then I obtained the p states for the E5200 and edited the DSDT accordly. The original DSDT was for quadcore, so I deleted cores 3 and 4 and edited the p states for cores 1 and 2. For me seems to be working, also speedstep, but I'm not sure if this procedure is correct or I need to edit something else for the transition from 4 core to 2 core. Could you check if my DSDT is correct?

Here are the p states for the E5200:

Name (_PSS, Package ()

{ Package (0x06) { 15200, 64080, 10, 10, 0x4C17, 0x4C17 },

Package (0x06) { 2400, 10117, 10, 10, 0xC17, 0xC17 },

Package (0x06) { 15000, 63236, 10, 10, 0x4B17, 0x4B17 },

Package (0x06) { 2200, 9274, 10, 10, 0xB17, 0xB17 },

Package (0x06) { 14800, 62393, 10, 10, 0x4A17, 0x4A17 },

Package (0x06) { 2000, 8431, 10, 10, 0xA17, 0xA17 },

Package (0x06) { 14600, 61550, 10, 10, 0x4917, 0x4917 },

Package (0x06) { 1800, 7588, 10, 10, 0x917, 0x917 },

Package (0x06) { 14400, 60707, 10, 10, 0x4817, 0x4817 },

Package (0x06) { 1600, 6745, 10, 10, 0x817, 0x817 },

Package (0x06) { 14200, 59864, 10, 10, 0x4717, 0x4717 },

Package (0x06) { 1400, 5902, 10, 10, 0x717, 0x717 },

Package (0x06) { 14000, 59021, 10, 10, 0x4617, 0x4617 },

Package (0x06) { 1200, 5058, 10, 10, 0x617, 0x617 }

})

Thanks.

The values have to be in hex. I edited your dsdt.aml and attached the resulting dsdt.dsl. You just need to recompile it (i'm on my way out the door, don't have time to recompile!!!)

dsdt.dsl.zip

The values have to be in hex. I edited your dsdt.aml and attached the resulting dsdt.dsl. You just need to recompile it (i'm on my way out the door, don't have time to recompile!!!)

dsdt.dsl.zip

In the DSDT you gave i can still see references to Processor P003 and Processor P004, Do I have to erase it ?

for those who wants to edit DSDT file you can use DSDTSE. it edits and compile DSDT

really easy to compile and edit

Bob

Okay, I finally got the tools for editing DSDT files, I'm using DSDTSE and it seems to be able to extract directly from the current DSDT in my root drive.

But before I do anything to it, I downloaded CPU-i and looked at the CPU multiplier, it does change from 6x to 9x when I run CPU heavy apps, does that mean I don't need to modify my DSDT at all since its already working? (also sleep works just fine without SleepEnabler.kext)

my CPU is C2D E8400 3.06GHz

Thanks!

Does anyone use HDMI out on this board with Snow Leopard? Does anyone also use SwitchResX 4.0 (beta)? I can't get this to output the correct resolution to my TV.
. . I'm using a vaguely similar ION-based system w/ SwitchResX & HDMI out to a Viera plasma. I've got things sorted in both 10.5 & 10.6 to output custom resolutions.

What screen are you using & what [ideally] do you want to output?

. . SwitchResX is not exactly intuitive to use - there's a certain amount of trial & error & failures are not graceful, sometimes requiring a reset under safe mode.

I'll need to know your panel's native resolution - it'd help if you added a near-as-possible-to-what-you-want display to the 'custom' list in SwitchResX, then took a screenshot of the settings being used - like this:

switchresx40b.png

. . . key deal is to have a working pixelclock plus H & V scan rates to use as a base to work from.

Thanks for the offer. I downloaded and I'm currently using the dsdt.aml compiled by Peluco. Shutdown still does not work properly. Could the problem be that applied the AppleDecrypt, Disabler, and OpenHaltRestart kexts when I installed the system? I tried removing these, but the system would not boot (even using the -f flag), it would just stop at the spinning pinwheel with the gray apple. Any ideas on what to change to?

I also tried putting the two kexts for audio in the extras/extensions folder, but I get nothing in the MIDI setup. Thanks again.

Thanks for the offer. I downloaded and I'm currently using the dsdt.aml compiled by Peluco. Shutdown still does not work properly. Could the problem be that applied the AppleDecrypt, Disabler, and OpenHaltRestart kexts when I installed the system? I tried removing these, but the system would not boot (even using the -f flag), it would just stop at the spinning pinwheel with the gray apple. Any ideas on what to change to?

I also tried putting the two kexts for audio in the extras/extensions folder, but I get nothing in the MIDI setup. Thanks again.

With this DSDT I only have AppleHDA.kext, fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

My system configuration is:

BIOS VERSION: 0514

CPU: E5200 C2D @2.5 Ghz

RAM: 8Gb Kingston DDRII ValueRAM

GPU(s): Integrated nVidida 9300 using 256 Mb memory

HDD(s): 1 Tb SATA2 Seagate 7200 and 250 Gb, I don’t know the specs, but it’s the original hd that came bundled with my iMac (I changed this for a 1 Tb one)

BOOTLOADER: Chameleon 2 RC1 + PCEFI 10.1 boot file

MISC: Conceptronic’s Firewire card, working perfectly in SL

For me it works fine, speed step, shutdown, etc. For the audio I don't use optical output or HDMI output, so I don't know if it's working. Line output works fine.

Sometimes when I mesh with the kexts, I had to reboot in single user mode and rebuild permissions and caches from command line.

scorch105:

from what I understand, HDMI audio isn't supported on this board. your TV doesn't have an optical audio input? I have my 37" LG TV hooked up HDMI video and optical audio. I'm not sure if HDMI audio works with snow leopard, however. If it does have a chance of working, you'll have to change the audio setting from SPDIF to HDMI in the BIOS.

nologic:

the dsdt.aml from Peluco should work fine for you. fakesmc.kext is a replacement kext for AppleDecrypt and Disabler, so remove them. also, any time you're changing kext, you need to repair permissions and rebuild kextcache. Use kextutility to do this (drag the folder onto the kextutility icon, enter your password, and you're done). once you repair permissions and rebuild kextcache your audio should be working.

stevenmaclover:

leave it as it is. if speedstep and sleep are working, then you're all good. don't fix it if it ain't broke.

bobisdead:

leave processor 3 and 4 there. it won't make a difference.

as a side note, I'm not able to shut down or restart properly either, and I'm using the same setup as Peluco. anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for everyone here that helped me on getting the last few things on my SL sorted out, the last question I posted, regarding laggy video, I found out it's easily solved just by installing nvkush, it turns out SL won't tell you if your card supports QE even if it did. I think this more or less is a bit of a hassle for Hacintosh people :)

Now I think I'm down to one last little problem, my SL will randomly slow down and everything become un-responsive, spinning beach ball all over the place and in activity monitor, hard driveIO is at 100%, this could last from 30 sec to maximum 4 min. then all of a sudden everything went back to normal.

I'm not even sure what's causing this, I think its a certain kext that controls IO devices, but just don't know which one and why.

I install SL almost vanilla, just fakeSMC, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector(for orange icons), OpenHaltRestart, ALC1200. using vanilla AppleHDA and the standard DSDT. Also my SL is installed on its own 500GB drive.

If I could figure out this problem, I think I'd have a production ready SL, the only part is I don't have any speaker that accepts optical input, thus I can't test if optical out is working, but I will see if I can borrow a monitor from my friend to test HDMI.

Just one little curiosity that keeps bothering me, everybody here is using the SAME board, how can one installing method work for someone while it doesn't work for some other?

-------------------------Edit-------------------------------

forgot to mention, x64 mode doesn't work on my machine, it will KP on boot, so I've set arch=i386 into boot.plist. Thus I totally forgot about it.

as a side note, I'm not able to shut down or restart properly either, and I'm using the same setup as Peluco. anyone else having this problem?

In order to shutdown or restart I need to have installed OpenHaltRestart.kext.

Now I think I'm down to one last little problem, my SL will randomly slow down and everything become un-responsive, spinning beach ball all over the place and in activity monitor, hard driveIO is at 100%, this could last from 30 sec to maximum 4 min. then all of a sudden everything went back to normal.

I'm not even sure what's causing this, I think its a certain kext that controls IO devices, but just don't know which one and why.

I had a similar problem with Leopard and it was because I had installed an ATA HD with linux. Disabling ATA device in BIOS solved it for me. When I want to boot linux I simply enable the device again.

I've not tried with SL by now.

as a side note, I'm noJust one little curiosity that keeps bothering me, everybody here is using the SAME board, how can one installing method work for someone while it doesn't work for some other?

-------------------------Edit-------------------------------

forgot to mention, x64 mode doesn't work on my machine, it will KP on boot, so I've set arch=i386 into boot.plist. Thus I totally forgot about it.

Oh, well... I can only boot in 64 bits mode!!!!!!!

Even if during boot I specify "-x32" the kernel boots into 64 bits mode.

I think it was after installing LittleSnitch, but I'm not sure.

. . I'm using a vaguely similar ION-based system w/ SwitchResX & HDMI out to a Viera plasma. I've got things sorted in both 10.5 & 10.6 to output custom resolutions.

What screen are you using & what [ideally] do you want to output?

. . SwitchResX is not exactly intuitive to use - there's a certain amount of trial & error & failures are not graceful, sometimes requiring a reset under safe mode.

I'll need to know your panel's native resolution - it'd help if you added a near-as-possible-to-what-you-want display to the 'custom' list in SwitchResX, then took a screenshot of the settings being used - like this:

switchresx40b.png

. . . key deal is to have a working pixelclock plus H & V scan rates to use as a base to work from.

BTW, what Ion system are you running it on? I'm just very curious cause ION seems to be the future of HTPC Hackintoshes

2yvrvut.jpg

That's the settings that work in 10.5.8 and the old SwitchResX - with 10.6.1 and SwitchResX 4.0, I just get a blue screen.

I can run 1368x768 or 1360x768 with Leopard (my TV native res is 1366x768 but since 1366 is not a multiple of 8, it's a no go in SwitchResX - I usually use 1368x768).

On a side note, I'm using Leopard on this box too, and it's better than SL (for now) but I forgot what Audio kext's to use. I have LegacyAppleHDAController.kext, LegacyAppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext, & AppleHDA.kext from FrodoKenny but putting these in my /E/E isn't working. Anyone have working S/PDIF audio working in Leopard?

I can run 1368x768 or 1360x768 with Leopard (my TV native res is 1366x768 but since 1366 is not a multiple of 8, it's a no go in SwitchResX - I usually use 1368x768).

On a side note, I'm using Leopard on this box too, and it's better than SL (for now) but I forgot what Audio kext's to use. I have LegacyAppleHDAController.kext, LegacyAppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext, & AppleHDA.kext from FrodoKenny but putting these in my /E/E isn't working. Anyone have working S/PDIF audio working in Leopard?

Get rid of the FrodoKenny drivers, use dgsga's leopard dsdt.aml, and put ALC1200.kext back in S/L/E. You might have to edit AppleHDA binary as well in hex editor to get digital working, although I don't think it was necessary for my system. Look up dgsga's posts and you'll find which instances to change in the binary.

Oh, well... I can only boot in 64 bits mode!!!!!!!

Even if during boot I specify "-x32" the kernel boots into 64 bits mode.

I think it was after installing LittleSnitch, but I'm not sure.

Did you try using the flag arch=i386 instead of -x32?

I'm not sure if these two flag differs in anyway but just for the hack of trying.

And you see, that just deepens my curiosity, we are all installing the same vanilla SL, and we have almost identical hardware(if you don't have any add on PCI cards or graphics card, then 100% identical), how can our SL install result be so much different?

Also thanks for the pointer about an ATA device, I don't have any ATA hard drive but what I do have is an ATA optical drive, I'm just not too comfortable with SATA optical drive. Well, I guess I'd have to put a SATA optical drive on my next upgrade list....(along with a dedicated graphics card because the one onboard keeps overheating and ASUS completely ignores my technical support inquery....)

Hi. I could use some help.

I followed Ufdah's tutorial to the "T', besides the installation of the audio kexts. (for some reason, in my kalyway desktop install, the kexts showed up as folders, and i couldnt select them with osx86 universal installer). I used a retail 10.5.6 disc by the way.

I put the drive into my htpc, and it booted. I installed the audio kexts with Uinstaller, and rebooted. I got to the apple logo and it just kept spinning. I booted with -f and I was able to boot into os x. I went to the extensions folder and didnt see kext Uinstaller supposedly installed before i rebooted. No idea where they went.

Anyway, i tried installing the kexts with kexthelper. When i rebooted, I couldnt get past the apple logo screen. I rebooted with -f and was able to get into OS X. The kext were there this time in the extensions folder. When i lowered or raised the volume, it actually moved up or down, compared to before when i didnt use kext helper to install the kexts and had the circle with the slash thru it.

I still have no sound from anything but going into sound preferences and playing system alerts. Those play through my speakers. I also cannot boot without -f.

Any help would be appreciated.

Update: Im retarded. I didnt set the output in settings to line out. Never had to do that on my desktop. I still cant boot without -f though lol.

Update #2. Was re-reading the thread, and did what someone else who had my problem did, and that was edit the com.apple.boot.plist and add the -f under kernal flags. I did that, and it worked. But, I would still like to know what went wrong that is causing that to be needed, or is it no big deal?

I followed Ufdah's tutorial to the "T', besides the installation of the audio kexts. (for some reason, in my kalyway desktop install, the kexts showed up as folders, and i couldnt select them with osx86 universal installer). I used a retail 10.5.6 disc by the way.

I put the drive into my htpc, and it booted. I installed the audio kexts with Uinstaller, and rebooted. I got to the apple logo and it just kept spinning. I booted with -f and I was able to boot into os x. I went to the extensions folder and didnt see kext Uinstaller supposedly installed before i rebooted. No idea where they went.

Anyway, i tried installing the kexts with kexthelper. When i rebooted, I couldnt get past the apple logo screen. I rebooted with -f and was able to get into OS X. The kext were there this time in the extensions folder. When i lowered or raised the volume, it actually moved up or down, compared to before when i didnt use kext helper to install the kexts and had the circle with the slash thru it.

I still have no sound from anything but going into sound preferences and playing system alerts. Those play through my speakers. I also cannot boot without -f.

Update: Im retarded. I didnt set the output in settings to line out. Never had to do that on my desktop. I still cant boot without -f though lol.

Update #2. Was re-reading the thread, and did what someone else who had my problem did, and that was edit the com.apple.boot.plist and add the -f under kernal flags. I did that, and it worked. But, I would still like to know what went wrong that is causing that to be needed, or is it no big deal?

repair permissions on both /extra/extensions and /system/library/extensions, and then rebuild both kextcaches. download kextutil and drag and drop the folders onto the kexutil icon, enter your password, and it'll do the rest for you. that should fix your -f problem.

you could try to use -v boot flag and find out what's causing the hang at boot time, this will show you everything the machine is doing in background as text lines. If you want to get rid of the -f booting the first step is finding out why.

Also remember, not to discourage but we are installing Mac OS X on non-apple hardware, which most of them Apple didn't write a driver for, and based on looking at this forum everyday, I found out most problems people encounter here are due to a hardware/driver issue, having to -f at boot is a very clear indication that its most likely a driver issue since -f just forces the kernal to reload every extensions (correct me if I'm wrong). bottom line is don't go too far on expecting for perfection ;P

good luck

. . . which resolutions can you now run on this screen in SL?

Okay, with the final SwitchResX 4.0, it's working. I do have a problem tho, if I switch HDMI and then switch back, I just get a blue screen. If I start it up with that HDMI input selected, the resolution works. It seems the HDMI doesn't handshake correctly when switching HDMI inputs on my surround system. My Mac Mini (which I wanted to replace with this setup) has less problems switching but it also has Leopard (not SL) and an older version of SwitchResX...otherwise, everything else is working!!!

i'm wondering the same thing as stevenmaclover...if we're all using the same board, why are all of our install results so vastly different? i'm thinking maybe it's a BIOS issue...

can somebody that has a FULLY working system that sleeps, shuts down, restarts, has full ACCELERATED video, and has DIGITAL audio post their BIOS settings? or if you have the time, maybe a brief install description?

thanx!