Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

dgsga...thank you so much for your post!!!

is there any way you could post your dsdt and the versions of the ioahci and alc1200 kexts that you're using?

10.6 is running okay for me...just got audio working with the old alc1200.kext along with vanilla AppleHDA.kext but getting a kernel panic when not using -x32 or -x64 flags (i think this has to do with the ahci kext i'm using, which I found somewhere on insanelymac randomly)...

also...editing my dsdt makes me nervous...I've attached the dsdt I'm using. I used the P-States calculator you posted and got this:

_PSS field entry for DSDT:

Package (0x06) { 2997, 65742, 10, 10, 0x921, 0x921 }

And when I press Voodoo P-States I get:

Name (_PSS, Package ()

Package (0x06) { 19684, 64600, 10, 10, 0x4A25, 0x4A25 },

Package (0x06) { 2660, 8513, 10, 10, 0xA23, 0xA23 },

Package (0x06) { 19418, 61359, 10, 10, 0x4922, 0x4922 },

Package (0x06) { 2394, 7370, 10, 10, 0x920, 0x920 },

Package (0x06) { 19152, 58183, 10, 10, 0x481F, 0x481F },

Package (0x06) { 2128, 6291, 10, 10, 0x81D, 0x81D },

Package (0x06) { 18886, 55072, 10, 10, 0x471C, 0x471C },

Package (0x06) { 1862, 5278, 10, 10, 0x71A, 0x71A },

Package (0x06) { 18620, 52027, 10, 10, 0x4619, 0x4619 },

Package (0x06) { 1596, 4329, 10, 10, 0x617, 0x617 }

})

I've been reading EVERYWHERE on insanelymac and otherwise and I can't figure out exactly how to edit my DSDT to reflect these P-States. Any way you could point me in the right direction? I've had a lot of luck with your dsdt files in the past so I'm hoping the same will hold true now...

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread!

DSDT.aml.zip

Well, finally I've managed to run VoodooPower.kext on Snow Leopard... now let's go to figure how to edit DSDT...

For those interested, to run VoodooPower.kext you need to boot SL in 32 bits, and then, in the terminal type:

sudo kextload /path/to/VoodooPower.kext

to load it only for the current session.

Well, finally I've managed to run VoodooPower.kext on Snow Leopard... now let's go to figure how to edit DSDT...

For those interested, to run VoodooPower.kext you need to boot SL in 32 bits, and then, in the terminal type:

sudo kextload /path/to/VoodooPower.kext

to load it only for the current session.

I've also managed to edit Anitanium's DSDT and modify it with the P State values for the E5200. Now I can live without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and without SleepEnabler.kext. But without OpenHaltRestart.kext I can't reboot my machine. It powers off, but it hangs when I reboot from OSX.

I think it's working Ok, but I don't know how to test if Speedsted is working. Which tool could I use to monitor Speedstep in OSX?

Thanks!!

dgsga...thank you so much for your post!!!

is there any way you could post your dsdt and the versions of the ioahci and alc1200 kexts that you're using?

10.6 is running okay for me...just got audio working with the old alc1200.kext along with vanilla AppleHDA.kext but getting a kernel panic when not using -x32 or -x64 flags (i think this has to do with the ahci kext i'm using, which I found somewhere on insanelymac randomly)...

also...editing my dsdt makes me nervous...I've attached the dsdt I'm using. I used the P-States calculator you posted and got this:

_PSS field entry for DSDT:

Package (0x06) { 2997, 65742, 10, 10, 0x921, 0x921 }

And when I press Voodoo P-States I get:

Name (_PSS, Package ()

Package (0x06) { 19684, 64600, 10, 10, 0x4A25, 0x4A25 },

Package (0x06) { 2660, 8513, 10, 10, 0xA23, 0xA23 },

Package (0x06) { 19418, 61359, 10, 10, 0x4922, 0x4922 },

Package (0x06) { 2394, 7370, 10, 10, 0x920, 0x920 },

Package (0x06) { 19152, 58183, 10, 10, 0x481F, 0x481F },

Package (0x06) { 2128, 6291, 10, 10, 0x81D, 0x81D },

Package (0x06) { 18886, 55072, 10, 10, 0x471C, 0x471C },

Package (0x06) { 1862, 5278, 10, 10, 0x71A, 0x71A },

Package (0x06) { 18620, 52027, 10, 10, 0x4619, 0x4619 },

Package (0x06) { 1596, 4329, 10, 10, 0x617, 0x617 }

})

I've been reading EVERYWHERE on insanelymac and otherwise and I can't figure out exactly how to edit my DSDT to reflect these P-States. Any way you could point me in the right direction? I've had a lot of luck with your dsdt files in the past so I'm hoping the same will hold true now...

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread!

DSDT.aml.zip

acdtprn, Here's your dsdt.aml with P-states added

I've also managed to edit Anitanium's DSDT and modify it with the P State values for the E5200. Now I can live without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and without SleepEnabler.kext. But without OpenHaltRestart.kext I can't reboot my machine. It powers off, but it hangs when I reboot from OSX.

I think it's working Ok, but I don't know how to test if Speedsted is working. Which tool could I use to monitor Speedstep in OSX?

Thanks!!

Peluco, install the attached kext and then run the attached app to check if Speedstep is working. You should see the values under the status tab change when opening and running hungry apps such as photoshop. These attachments are for SL not Leopard.

For you power hungry maniacs out there can I recommend the Asus P5Q-EM mobo. It is a microATX motherboard which has the same chipset as MacPro3,1 (ICH10), ALC1200 audio, built-in firewire, and above all the ability to highly overclock your CPU. I found I couldn't overclock my Q9550 on the P5N7A-VM to more than 3.06Ghz, have now got it running at 3.4Ghz at 44 degrees C on the P5Q-EM.

DSDT.aml.zip

CPUi.kext.zip

CPU_i.app.zip

For you power hungry maniacs out there can I recommend the Asus P5Q-EM mobo. It is a microATX motherboard which has the same chipset as MacPro3,1 (ICH10), ALC1200 audio, built-in firewire, and above all the ability to highly overclock your CPU. I found I couldn't overclock my Q9550 on the P5N7A-VM to more than 3.06Ghz, have now got it running at 3.4Ghz at 44 degrees C on the P5Q-EM.

Is the install procedure for P5Q-EM the same as used for P5N7A-VM? With the same kext's? Thanks in advance.

Peluco, install the attached kext and then run the attached app to check if Speedstep is working. You should see the values under the status tab change when opening and running hungry apps such as photoshop. These attachments are for SL not Leopard.

Hello again. I've installed the CPUi. It lists my P-States correctly, from 6x multiplier to full 12x. But this don't show any change.

CPU-i reports that my machine is running at the lowest speed (6x multiplier, 1200 mhz). I start CPUTest and I see in the Activity Monitor that both cores are at 100% activity, but CPU-i continues reporting the 1200 mhz.

Any help?

Thanks.

Hey!

I don't want to sound picky, but shouldn't we split the thread in Leo/Snow Leo stuff? This is a 700+ posts thread, and trying to find usefull info makes it a hell of a reading. This one is in Leo section while we actually have a Snow Leo section.

just my 2c...

T.

Is the install procedure for P5Q-EM the same as used for P5N7A-VM? With the same kext's? Thanks in advance.

Yes!

Hello again. I've installed the CPUi. It lists my P-States correctly, from 6x multiplier to full 12x. But this don't show any change.

CPU-i reports that my machine is running at the lowest speed (6x multiplier, 1200 mhz). I start CPUTest and I see in the Activity Monitor that both cores are at 100% activity, but CPU-i continues reporting the 1200 mhz.

Any help?

Thanks.

Launch photoshop and see if the values change. If they don't then your DSDT probably needs fixing (decompile the one in the post above to check)

Launch photoshop and see if the values change. If they don't then your DSDT probably needs fixing (decompile the one in the post above to check)

Hello again.

I've decompiled the one you've posted above, and there are some differences in the CPU sections, so I've used this one as a base. This one has four cores, and my CPU has only two. I've deleted the sections for cores 3 and 4 and I've copy/pasted my P-States into your definition for cores 1 and 2 and I've recompiled... is this procedure correct or should I have modified other sections in the dml?

With the final aml the system starts at multiplier 6x (1200 mhz). If I run photoshop or other cpu consumption task it doesn't change. But if I put the machine to sleep and then resume it, then it works perfectly!! Goes from 6x to 12.5x and back again as I run tasks!!!

I have a good background in hardware and lowlevel computing and I want to know what I'm editing into the DSDT. Where could I find good documentation about this?

Thanks.

I just want to inform everyone and reiterate that developer "freshcocoa" has put a blog dedicated to this board:

FreshCocoa's P5N7A-VM BLOG

It outlines setting up SL via connecting an internal hdd via usb (making it temporarily external).

His methods are using BIOS 504 and all onboard hardware with all files needed hosted for you on the blog.

That being said, please post comments and suggestions/improvements to help keep the flow of information organized.

*** THIS IS NOT A GUIDE -- YET -- BUT I HAVE PROVEN IT TO WORK 3x - 4x ON THIS BOARD ***

Recently, I found myself unable to connect my SATA hdd to any of my other hacks via usb (I'll spare the details).

You can now fully install SNOW LEOPARD via USB FLASH DRIVE including using Chameleon 2 RC3 as the bootloader.

Start by going to this site to serve as the main guide: P5N7A-VM via USB FLASH DRIVE

Scroll down passed the fluff of the article where he discusses other hardware.

Begin following the guide @ Step One (#1).

When the author begins discussing Chameleon substitute Chameleon 2 RC2 with the newly release Chameleon 2 RC3 binaries.

Ignore the author discussing pcefi's boot -- instead use the boot from Chameleon 2 RC3.

Ignore the author discussing a link to Extra.zip -- instead manually create your own from these 2 posts:

FreshCocoa's P5N7A-VM BLOG INSTALL #1

and

FreshCocoa's P5N7A-VM BLOG INSTALL #2

From here, you modify your bios settings to boot from your USB FLASH drive and set legacy USB to AUTO and USB SPEED to FULL SPEED. Also assign your USB FLASH DRIVE type: USB HDD emulation in the bios.

Then save your settings and reboot.

You should boot into Snow Leopard.

Use Disk Utility to prepare the volume you wish to install to and PAY ATTENTION NOW:

During installation move the mouse every few minutes -- after 4 failed installs the only thing I changed was keeping the mouse moving -- sure maybe that sounds stupid -- but it got me through my install and has the last 3 installs.

Once you have a successful installation you must keep in mind you boot into x64 mode by default and full support for this is not automatic -- it requires properly edited kexts and dsdt. Instead use x86 via bootflag (arch=i386).

You can then proceed to manually install Chameleon 2 RC3 to the volume you just installed Snow Leopard to.

Then add your boot.plist to /Extra and proceed with editing and feeding /Extra/Extensions.

Key notes about this method:

1) You now have a usb flash drive that is bootable (and using f8 can be forced to load a dvd - ty Chameleon 2 RC3)

2) You now have a usb flash drive with the full Snow Leopard installer built onto it

3) This method is extremely close to a real mac

A) the installer is NOT edited

:thumbsdown_anim: the bootloader is updateable

C) you are only editing/feeding /Extra/Extensions

D) no need to remove a hdd from its resting place (inside your case)

I will try to work on a more indepth guide to post on FreshCocoa's blog if he will allow it by tonight.

Really hoping someone can give me some insight on how to get optical out working on this board. The current AppleHDA posted here and on FreshCocoa's blog only give analog output. I've tried some ALC 888 kexts and the closest I've found is optical out but no DTS passthrough or 5.1 surround. I desperately need this functionality as I plan on using this as an HTPC. Thanks all

Great info here, as always!

Just wanted to sum up my current situation for anyone who might be having similar issues, or anyone who knows how to solve them!

-x32 mode: Everything seems to work as expected. I have:

fakesmc.kext

NVDarwin (for dedicated graphics)

AppleHDA.kext (NOT the red-labeled one, that seems to be working for everyone else. It kills my audio on x32 and gives me KP on x64..)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (not supposed to need it but KP without it on boot)

AHCIStorage (Orange drive icons otherwise)

PlatformUUID.kext (edited for my hard drive)

I have tried a few DSDT.aml, from different sources and from myself, they all work fine for me

-x64 mode: With red AppleHDA.kext, I get KP as soon as I hit the desktop. With other AppleHDA, I can boot to desktop, but no sound.

Graphics do not work for dedicated card, but all I need to do is flash my 8800GT bios. I will do this if I can get sound issue figured out.

Many DSDT.aml and none solve the sound issue.

Other than some software, everything else seems to work fine in x64 mode.

Thanks for the great info!

savestheday...

I was having the same problem you were and was able to fix it using the attached DSDT.aml (which dgsga was nice enough to edit to match my specific processor, so you'll have to edit it for yours), vanilla AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E/, and the modified ALC1200.kext that dsgsa posted in post #579. It would ONLY work when put in S/L/E, not in /Extra/Extensions. After this, all audio works (haven't tested DTS passthrough, if you tell me how to test for this, I can let you know whether it works or not, but 5.1 is definitely working :angel:.

Snow Leopard is running well for me now...only a few problems:

1. Sleep doesn't work, even with a properly modified DSDT.aml. I'm going to add sleepenabler.kext from FreshCocoa's guide and see what happens.

2. After SL starts, for the first 3 minutes, everything is choppy as hell. The mouse jumps as do the graphics (particularly dock animation and minimize/maximize animation). Any ideas?

3. I have two monitors; one is a 23" LG flatscreen, and the other is a 37" LG TV. The LG TV is secondary. When I turn on display mirroring, the maximum resolution that appears on the TV is 800x600. I did not have this problem in Leopard.

DSDT.aml.zip

savestheday...

I was having the same problem you were and was able to fix it using the attached DSDT.aml (which dgsga was nice enough to edit to match my specific processor, so you'll have to edit it for yours), vanilla AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E/, and the modified ALC1200.kext that dsgsa posted in post #579. It would ONLY work when put in S/L/E, not in /Extra/Extensions. After this, all audio works (haven't tested DTS passthrough, if you tell me how to test for this, I can let you know whether it works or not, but 5.1 is definitely working :) .

Snow Leopard is running well for me now...only a few problems:

1. Sleep doesn't work, even with a properly modified DSDT.aml. I'm going to add sleepenabler.kext from FreshCocoa's guide and see what happens.

2. After SL starts, for the first 3 minutes, everything is choppy as hell. The mouse jumps as do the graphics (particularly dock animation and minimize/maximize animation). Any ideas?

3. I have two monitors; one is a 23" LG flatscreen, and the other is a 37" LG TV. The LG TV is secondary. When I turn on display mirroring, the maximum resolution that appears on the TV is 800x600. I did not have this problem in Leopard.

DSDT.aml.zip

Thanks man, can't wait to test this when I get home! I too can't sleep reliably even with SleepEnabler.kext and thought it was my DSDT (the one from post #660). I will install all the kexts and post my p-state stuff....

As far as the DTS goes, you have AC3 5.1 surround working? Does anyone know where he can get a legitimate movie file with DTS in it? You can then use VLC and make sure that S/PDIF is checked off in the Audio section of the preferences. And to be sure, you *are* using optical/spdif out?

To anyone using a patched AppleLPC.kext with the P5N7A-VM - you can inject the LPC device ID via DSDT instead of modifying AppleLPC.kext, using the method described here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

It works in the same way, add the DTGP method if your DSDT doesn't have it already and then insert the device-id injection example code right before the first LPC sub-device, with the device ID that you want to inject. Look in a vanilla AppleLPC.kext.plist and pick the one closest to the LPC's device ID on the P5N7A-VM.

One patched kext less!

Update: hehe like anyone cares

x64 - sound with vanilla appleHDA and alc1200, everything else works fine (i have not done gfx bios flash yet, waiting on-->) except my ntfs-3g driver, which most ppl probably dont use but is necessary for me. fuse kext fails on boot. They will update soon probably.

x32 - Alls well, will try removing some extra kexts i have to see if it breaks or not..first to go nullCPUpm that was mentioned to me a page back (heh i didnt ignore you!).

I would still have dsmos and fakesmc, so i would try removing dsmos i guess? fakesmc is supposed to be pretty all in one right? or maybe my DSDT already handles all this hmmmmm

Ill get back to you on this one. Oh and shut down leaves the fans spinning, so i have to hit the button. Havent tried sleep.

ok...

sorry savestheday, I was a bit wrong. Setting my home theater receiver to receive DTS doesn't work at all...and AC3 5.1 decodes and sounds great, but upon using a test file that speaks the name of the speaker through each channel, it's messing up on my front right and rear right, and splitting the signal on my center. I'm assuming that it's the ALC1200 kext. Anyone have any luck with DTS and/or AC3 5.1 otherwise?