Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Launched UInstaller from existing Leo install

Installed 10.6 to new partition GUID

Installed EFI 9 to new partition

Put 4 kext files, in Extra folder and /S/L/E (again, not sure which works)

fakesmc.kext OpenHaltRestart PlatformUUID.kext applehda.kext

In my extra folder i have the above mention kexts and com.apple.boot.plist, dsdt.aml, and smbios.plist

Put boot file on /root

Put DSDT on /root and Extra folder (not sure which works)

Edit the timeout to 30 in com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Then, boot into SL, and I installed Cameleon RC1 (deselect all options)

I boot with arch=i386 for 32bit mode because of Fusion. 64 boots fine as well.

The nullcpumanagement kext caused panics, so I deleted it, panics gone.

Sound and video work fine.

Stable install

I also, have not run the kext utility

Hope this helps!

Is the DSDT you are using for core2quad or core2duo CPUs?

I used Diabolik's DSDT.dsl for quad2quad, compiled it and threw it in / but when it boots into SL i get a blank monitor (monitor goes into power save). However, using nvinject, video is a bit laggy and i get no video when playing VLC.

Can you share your DSDT if you are using a quad core CPU?

DSDT from post #660

this worked for my quad 9550... showed the right GHz etc, now it does not... not sure why. Maybe cuz I ran the DSDTGUI?

boot from post #662

search for PCefi 9 and fakesmc and Cameleon RC1

for kexts... use this link

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464

My only complaint is that sleep does not work.

Good luck

Is the DSDT you are using for core2quad or core2duo CPUs?

I used Diabolik's DSDT.dsl for quad2quad, compiled it and threw it in / but when it boots into SL i get a blank monitor (monitor goes into power save). However, using nvinject, video is a bit laggy and i get no video when playing VLC.

Can you share your DSDT if you are using a quad core CPU?

with -x32 you should boot fne with daboliks dsdt, i also had that issue. simply use anitaniums dsdt, thats the one from post #660. it does everything just fine, or perfect

with -x32 you should boot fne with daboliks dsdt, i also had that issue. simply use anitaniums dsdt, thats the one from post #660. it does everything just fine, or perfect

The DSDT from post #660 is only for quad CPUs?

I have a duo CPU with Diabolik's DSDT and I only can boot with '-x32'

Thanks!!

The DSDT from post #660 is only for quad CPUs?

I have a duo CPU with Diabolik's DSDT and I only can boot with '-x32'

Thanks!!

it's for all cpus.

and to  joao santos, yes you have to to replace it, does no one just {censored} read anymore

it's for all cpus.

Thanks, I've put it and now I have a full SL working: 64 or 32 bit, accelerated video, sleep, halt, restart, sound, and a Conceptronic's firewire card. It's a P5N7A-VM with a E5200 cpu and 8 Gb RAM.

The kext I'm using are:

AppleHDA.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Basically I've installed it using the guide in:

http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com/2009/09/01/t...-asus-p5n7a-vm/

And using the anitanium's DSDT and the listed kext.

By now it's working fine. Do you think of any improvement I could do?

Thanks, I've put it and now I have a full SL working: 64 or 32 bit, accelerated video, sleep, halt, restart, sound, and a Conceptronic's firewire card. It's a P5N7A-VM with a E5200 cpu and 8 Gb RAM.

The kext I'm using are:

AppleHDA.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

By now it's working fine. Do you think of any improvement I could do?

those are uselesse (even if they do no harm)

HDAEnabler.kext is done by dsdt; IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext also fixed by dsdt; NullCPUPowerManagement.kext with fakesmc is there is no need for it. 

HDAEnabler.kext is done by dsdt; IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext also fixed by dsdt; NullCPUPowerManagement.kext with fakesmc is there is no need for it. 

I have updated my guide on http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com

The things I am having trouble with are accelerated video under 64bit, going to try using the DSDT from #660 now and report back and update my blog.

They say NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not needed when using fakesmc, however, I was getting a kernel panic without it (as was a couple others I spoke to).

Also, anyone getting AppleUSBEHCI message on boot, and waiting on AppleUSBEHCI on restart/shutdown? OpenHaltRestart solved that for me.

I have updated my guide on http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com

The things I am having trouble with are accelerated video under 64bit, going to try using the DSDT from #660 now and report back and update my blog.

They say NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not needed when using fakesmc, however, I was getting a kernel panic without it (as was a couple others I spoke to).

Also, anyone getting AppleUSBEHCI message on boot, and waiting on AppleUSBEHCI on restart/shutdown? OpenHaltRestart solved that for me.

Anitanium's DSDT worked perfect for video (qe/ci) in 64bit.

Blog update to reflect that: http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com

Hey bro, sorry to bug but does that DSDT from post #660 fix the CMOS reset problem with SL?

Update: It was not OpenHaltRestart that solved it, but rather changing the USB settings in the BIOS from Hi-Speed to Full-Speed.

Keep following blog at http://freshcocoa.allhtpc.com as I update and amalgamate information.

Hello again.

I've tried to install with minimum kext, but I can't boot without NullCPUPowerMangement.kext.

And I also need IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to see the correct icons for my internal disks.

Hello again.

I've tried to install with minimum kext, but I can't boot without NullCPUPowerMangement.kext.

And I also need IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to see the correct icons for my internal disks.

i don't understand this nullcpu thing, i don't have it. but i didn't need it in leopard either even without fakesmc because the dsdt should allow this. yellow harddrives are the right ones if you are using ahci, and really i don't bother about this snce i got better things to do than looking at them, but you colud always just change the icon of a drive by drag and drop another icon on the one in the informations box of a drive

My config:

4) I connect that HDD to SATA 1 on my P5N7A

Thanks for the summary. Do you think that I could connect the HDD to the eSATA (which I believe is SATA 3)? I would like to use the other three SATA ports for a DVD-ROM and two additional HDDs where I have other OSs (linux, vista) which I boot from when I need it.

General thanks to all who have contributed ideas and suggestions. I purchased this mobo to play with linuxmce and htpc concepts. then i ended up installing vista to use netflix (grrr). I have never owned a mac, so it was not easy to get started (in fact I still don't know some acronyms, etc. but it seems fun). I bought my wife a mac with leopard, and I am going to get a usb/eSATA enclosure to go from mac to hak by (hopefully) just using different cables. I had tried an ef installation on a dell laptop and got it work partially, but only know am i beginning to undertand that different kexts work for different mobos, etc. Duh! If there are good sites to learn mac in general feel free to point me in the right direction. Sometimes directions are a little "short" for me new-b.

i don't understand this nullcpu thing, i don't have it. but i didn't need it in leopard either even without fakesmc because the dsdt should allow this. yellow harddrives are the right ones if you are using ahci, and really i don't bother about this snce i got better things to do than looking at them, but you colud always just change the icon of a drive by drag and drop another icon on the one in the informations box of a drive

Well, yellow hd is a silly thing, but I also don't understand the nullcpu thing.

Here is my configuration:

BIOS VERSION: 0514

CPU: E5200 C2D @2.5 Ghz

RAM: 8Gb Kingston DDRII ValueRAM

GPU(s): Integrated nVidida 9300

HDD(s): 1 Tb SATA2 Seagate 7200 and 250 Gb, I don’t know the specs, but it’s the original hd that came bundled with my iMac (I changed this for a 1 Tb one in the iMac)

BOOTLOADER: Chameleon 2 RC1 + PCEFI 10.1 boot file

MISC: Conceptronic’s Firewire card, seems working perfectly in SL

Yesterday I reinstalled it on the 1Tb disk, which I want for 'production'. I got it working perfectly (with the nullcpu kext, of course), booting both in 32 and 64 bit kernel. Then I transfered all the data on the Time Machine disk from my iMac, choosing to transfer the applications also. After 3 years using Macs I continue to be impressed by how well works this. I have transfered all my configurations, data and applications to the new Mac/hack and I can continue working almost as if nothing changed. In two hours, complete transfer from one machine to other with minimal user intervention!!!

Well, but the hackintosh way has to have some problems, of course. Now, after applicaton transfering, I only can boot into 64 bits kernel. When I boot into 32 bit kernel it stops (doesn't crash, mouse works) just before the login window. I suppose this may be some trash left in some application. I'll continue investigating.

By now, booting 64 bits works flawlessly. Yesterday I was doing some serious work with Aperture and Photoshop CS3 to test stability and it seems perfect.

Well, yellow hd is a silly thing, but I also don't understand the nullcpu thing.

Here is my configuration:

CPU: E5200 C2D @2.5 Ghz

RAM: 8Gb Kingston DDRII ValueRAM

HDD(s): 1 Tb SATA2 Seagate 7200 and 250 Gb, I don’t know the specs, but it’s the original hd that came bundled with my iMac (I changed this for a 1 Tb one in the iMac)

MISC: Conceptronic’s Firewire card, seems working perfectly in SL

Yesterday I reinstalled it on the 1Tb disk, which I want for 'production'. I got it working perfectly (with the nullcpu kext, of course), booting both in 32 and 64 bit kernel. Then I transfered all the data on the Time Machine disk from my iMac, choosing to transfer the applications also. After 3 years using Macs I continue to be impressed by how well works this. I have transfered all my configurations, data and applications to the new Mac/hack and I can continue working almost as if nothing changed. In two hours, complete transfer from one machine to other with minimal user intervention!!!

Well, but the hackintosh way has to have some problems, of course. Now, after applicaton transfering, I only can boot into 64 bits kernel. When I boot into 32 bit kernel it stops (doesn't crash, mouse works) just before the login window. I suppose this may be some trash left in some application. I'll continue investigating.

By now, booting 64 bits works flawlessly. Yesterday I was doing some serious work with Aperture and Photoshop CS3 to test stability and it seems perfect.

Can you try turning HPET to 32 bit in the BIOS? See if that helps? I'm not sure this setting exists in the ASUS bios but it does in the Gigabyte BIOS. I'm having the same problem with my Gigabyte, stops before login but does not panic.

CPU: E6600 C2D @2.4 Ghz

RAM: 8Gb (4x2GB) OCZ OCZ2P10004GK @ 800

4 SATA HDD(s)

no other cards

Only AppleHDA.kext, fakesmc.kext, SleepEnabler.kext) have been in the/Extra/Extensions folder

DSDT is from freshcocoa site (which is really from post 660 on this site)

System Preferences > Sound is greyed out.

No output. No Input.

Yet System Profiler shows all kinds of jacks.

I followed freshcocoa and no sound & orange drives(not worried about the orange).

I did start from a non apple, a 10.5.6 hack on this board, using OSXInstall.mkpg on the retail disk to a new HF partition. It installed No errors. It wont -f without KP. From safe mode I create the two mkexts and permissions, owner; and then it boots fine. USB bios option is full. Micron is off. I tried different SATA plugs. I’m thinking the DSDT.AML is not doing it’s sound thing.Yet video is great, which shows the DSDT is doing it’s video thing. AHCI in the BIOS but I have drives in both color SATA plugs (northbridge, southbridge). How can the same board have different experiences? My CPU? My HDD? Which Sata Ports? Tried the HDA Enabler. Still no sound. Is it only me?

CPU: E6600 C2D @2.4 Ghz

RAM: 8Gb (4x2GB) OCZ OCZ2P10004GK @ 800

4 SATA HDD(s)

no other cards

Only AppleHDA.kext, fakesmc.kext, SleepEnabler.kext) have been in the/Extra/Extensions folder

DSDT is from freshcocoa site (which is really from post 660 on this site)

System Preferences > Sound is greyed out.

No output. No Input.

Yet System Profiler shows all kinds of jacks.

I followed freshcocoa and no sound & orange drives(not worried about the orange).

I did start from a non apple, a 10.5.6 hack on this board, using OSXInstall.mkpg on the retail disk to a new HF partition. It installed No errors. It wont -f without KP. From safe mode I create the two mkexts and permissions, owner; and then it boots fine. USB bios option is full. Micron is off. I tried different SATA plugs. I’m thinking the DSDT.AML is not doing it’s sound thing.Yet video is great, which shows the DSDT is doing it’s video thing. AHCI in the BIOS but I have drives in both color SATA plugs (northbridge, southbridge). How can the same board have different experiences? My CPU? My HDD? Which Sata Ports? Tried the HDA Enabler. Still no sound. Is it only me?

I'm in the same boat. Yellow icons, no sound. Using AppleHDA.kext makes all of my sound card info disappear in system profiler, taking it away brings all the information back. Everything else is working great...any ideas?

Okay 3 problems, maybe someone can help me out:

1.) The AppleHDA_432 works but only enables Line Out sound, not S/PDIF out sound. This is a major issue for me since I plan on using this as a media center. Going to try VoodooHDA

2.) I have weird USB issues....I've tried applying the USBFix in the boot.plist and that made my mouse go crazy. I've also tried EHCIAquire=yes and that seems to have helped a little but I feel like it's still weird. Setting the USB to Full Speed in the BIOS results in a panic for me.

3.) The video does not state that QE/QI is enabled. I'm using this over HDMI so maybe that's the issue? I do see the nVidia 9300M tho. Also, when I boot into 64 bit mode, I have to unhook the HDMI and then plug it back in to see anything. Otherwise, I just a blue screen. Once I unplug and plug it back in, it comes back on (sometimes with a blue mouse pointer)

Anyone seeing these issues?

----- EDIT -------

Got stereo s/pdif sound working using an AppleHDA.kext from post 178 of this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=160

tried enabling 5.1 in Midi Util, no go :( Stereo is the only available option....

I'm beginning to think, after reading through some pages back, its the fact that anitanium only made his DSDT (or AppleHDA.kext) for Line Out sound and not S/PDIF....I've decompiled his DSDT but don't know where I'd look for the correct way to enable Optical Out. Anyone got ideas?

Now I have to turn off my monitor & turn it back on to get past the blue screen....again, usng HDMI, not DVI, so dunno if that's got something to do with it.

-----------

Okay, even more

It's def AppleHDA.kext - the one that anitanium provided works but is only Line Out. Anyone know how to edit AppleHDA? I see the audio in my system profiler just not in system pref's

Hi All

Have returned here after a long break, have been installing Snow Leopard and realised when reading the recent posts that some of you are using the DSDT.aml from post 660 which has CPU P-states for a Core 2 Quad Q6600. If you change these P-state entries to those matching your own processor then you should get native Speedstep power management in SL with sleep, shutdown, restart all working without the need for extra kexts. Have been running SL on the P5N7A-VM with just fakesmc, ALC1200 and modified IOAHCIFamily kexts (last one for orange icon fix).

If you still have 10.5.8 running then remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, install VoodooPower.kext, restart and then click on the Voodoo P-states button to get the DSDT entry you need to add to your DSDT.

Good luck!

P_States_Calculator.app.zip

Hi All

Have returned here after a long break, have been installing Snow Leopard and realised when reading the recent posts that some of you are using the DSDT.aml from post 660 which has CPU P-states for a Core 2 Quad Q6600. If you change these P-state entries to those matching your own processor then you should get native Speedstep power management in SL with sleep, shutdown, restart all working without the need for extra kexts. Have been running SL on the P5N7A-VM with just fakesmc, ALC1200 and modified IOAHCIFamily kexts (last one for orange icon fix).

If you still have 10.5.8 running then remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, install VoodooPower.kext, restart and then click on the Voodoo P-states button to get the DSDT entry you need to add to your DSDT.

Good luck!

Well, so now I have to learn what are P-States and how to decompile, modify and recompile with DSDTs...

Ok, I'll go for it.

Buy I need some help... How could I discover the correct parameters for my C2D E5200?

I've tried:

- Searching for specs in google: I can't find correct VCore values and I'm not sure what to put in the P-State section

- Running CPU-x from netkas: it doesn't show VCore

- Getting mSR-Tools: I only get a corrupted zip when I download it

Somebody can help me?

Thanks!!

PS: I don't have 10.5 running anymore, I can't install VoodooPower.kext...

dgsga...thank you so much for your post!!!

is there any way you could post your dsdt and the versions of the ioahci and alc1200 kexts that you're using?

10.6 is running okay for me...just got audio working with the old alc1200.kext along with vanilla AppleHDA.kext but getting a kernel panic when not using -x32 or -x64 flags (i think this has to do with the ahci kext i'm using, which I found somewhere on insanelymac randomly)...

also...editing my dsdt makes me nervous...I've attached the dsdt I'm using. I used the P-States calculator you posted and got this:

_PSS field entry for DSDT:

Package (0x06) { 2997, 65742, 10, 10, 0x921, 0x921 }

And when I press Voodoo P-States I get:

Name (_PSS, Package ()

Package (0x06) { 19684, 64600, 10, 10, 0x4A25, 0x4A25 },

Package (0x06) { 2660, 8513, 10, 10, 0xA23, 0xA23 },

Package (0x06) { 19418, 61359, 10, 10, 0x4922, 0x4922 },

Package (0x06) { 2394, 7370, 10, 10, 0x920, 0x920 },

Package (0x06) { 19152, 58183, 10, 10, 0x481F, 0x481F },

Package (0x06) { 2128, 6291, 10, 10, 0x81D, 0x81D },

Package (0x06) { 18886, 55072, 10, 10, 0x471C, 0x471C },

Package (0x06) { 1862, 5278, 10, 10, 0x71A, 0x71A },

Package (0x06) { 18620, 52027, 10, 10, 0x4619, 0x4619 },

Package (0x06) { 1596, 4329, 10, 10, 0x617, 0x617 }

})

I've been reading EVERYWHERE on insanelymac and otherwise and I can't figure out exactly how to edit my DSDT to reflect these P-States. Any way you could point me in the right direction? I've had a lot of luck with your dsdt files in the past so I'm hoping the same will hold true now...

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread!

DSDT.aml.zip