Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

anitanium,

I am having the same issue as metzz71 and have tried the steps you have recommended. Do we need to put the EFI string in the boot plist? If so, and if the string is the same for every P5N7A-VM, can you post your string here?

Thanks in advance!

G

Hi,

did anyone tried or managed to get the onboard RAID controller to work (stripped hardware-raid)?

Couldn't find a solution tried some nforceATA kexts but nothing.. still Leo doesn't recognize the two drives as one big "nvidia raid drive".

It's kinda sad, cause everything else seems to work..

thx for help

MM

created mkext from 4 suggested kext files and placed in caches/startup folder

you didn't seriously do that? in the caches startup folder form leopard should be all kexts the system uses. the mkext with the 4 additional kexts belongs in extra. use kextutilty and drop from within leo the snow leo extensionsfolder on the ico of the app. this should fix it. i over read that yesterday

did anyone tried or managed to get the onboard RAID controller to work (stripped hardware-raid)?

Couldn't find a solution tried some nforceATA kexts but nothing.. still Leo doesn't recognize the two drives as one big "nvidia raid drive".

It's kinda sad, cause everything else seems to work..

it will never work, i you want raid you have to use software raid 1 or 0 and if you want 5 or else you have to buy a card

First of all, thanks to Diabolik, I followed the guide and I'm able to get my P5N7A working perfectly now (after 21 hours of struggling)...

The only thing that's a little bugging right now is that if I boot normally, it will hang at mDNSResponder line (Bonjour), but if I use -f flag it boots perfectly.

Am I the only one with this problem? or could there be something wrong with my board?

I apologize if this has been asked before, I tried to read through the whole thread but its just too long for me...:( especially right now I'm relying on Monters to keep me awake..lol

Also, I've read through the last few pages of the thread and it sounds to me like someone got snow leopard working with this board already? I'd really appreciate it if someone could post a guide on that :D

Again, thanks, I'm so happy to have a working hacintosh after so many hours of frustration :D

Thanks, eject... I claim I'm stupid. :) I used kext util... Could you post the working boot/dsdt/kexts? I think i got a bad file somewhere, but i'm not smart enough to know which one. The kextutil creates an mkext on the root, do I leave it there? I put the 5 kexts in the /Extra folder, dsmos, fakesmc, openhalt, nullcpupower, and platformuuid. Then dropped /S/L/E on the icon within the kextuitl. DSDT and boot are on the root.

If I startup in single user and run that command from a few posts back, I get an error, that no files present, is that a problem?

So, as of now, I have the same result, hung at appleintelcpupowermanagement timout.

Could you post the working boot/dsdt/kexts? 7 files as I count them.

Thanks for all the help, I will get it sooner or later.

EDIT! I deleted the DSMOS and it boots. YEAH!!! Bad news, it panics about 2 minutes in. What should I do?

ok, do it in this order, i recommend to start clean from within a working leopard install install snow leo to a guid partition, install chameleon RC1 cccc://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20rc1-is-out to the partiton where you installed snow leo, while installing deselect all additional options offerd.

put thisExtra.zipfolder on the SL partition (replace existng one if any, extract the folder where you like log in terminal as sudo -s, type cp -R (drag/drop extra folder to terminal then drag drop SL partiton icon from desktop to terminal and hit enter on terminal)); type cp drag/drop boot file i uploaded a few posts ago on terminal and then drag/drop SL partton on it.

type cp -R and drag/drop applehda_432.kext (wich is an alterd apple file and therefore im not allowed to upload it and the system board software won't allow a link to the host, use google with the name first or second hit) on it, then drag/drop S/L/E from SL partition on it, hit enter.

put kextutlty.app on your desk (don't start it) drag/drop S/L/E from SL parttion on it, type password. close the app. drag and drop extensions folder from extra on it, type password. close the app.

reboot from the HDD with the SL partition on it and do nothing (no need for any flags) but pray to a fetish of your choice, SL leo video should start (with sound) and your install is running.

btw: i hope that support for x64 kernel will get better with the time, right now neither paralles nor vmware fusion will work in x64 kernel, they know about this but they don't seem to care since normal macs will boot x32 and actually i don't feel a difference since the applications do run x64 no matter whats the kernel.

note: fakesmc will replace both the decrypter (dsmos) and the disabler (nullcpu)

Now i'm getting link failed on fakesmc.

going back to efi9, if that don't work, going to retry your latest instructions.

Thanks.... we'll get there

EDIT: unsuccessful with your install method. My method will boot but panics about 2 minutes in.

EDIT: Deleted the Nullcpupowermanagement kext and panics are gone, so far.

I'm getting the same problem(s) as Joao and metzz71 following eject's instructions...

Haven't had a successful boot yet...

link failing on fakesmc and "could not create extensions.mkext" when using kextutil on snow S/L/E folder...

I'm guessing it's a permissions problem? Also shouldn't smbios and platformuuid be user-specific (i.e. directly copying eject's /Extra folder would necessitate editing smbios/platformuuid?) Any help would be great...

Thanks eject!

Your instructions (and "extra" folder) combined with removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from Snow S/L/E have me up and running. The only other step was installing NVKush after first boot to get ci/qe and resolution change.

Thanks a lot!

G

you can delete the smbios plist, doesn't matter, i just zipped the whole folder (have set it to macmini3,1 once because afaik they are using the same chipset but it couldn't get all the other values for a macmini because you only find macbook pros and macpros on the interweb, the place of the big penises, so i guess it's useless anyway, maybee even cause problems because if i remeber correctly i also added my ram slots (i use all 4) and cpu clock) i didn't do any changes to the platformuuid thing, just dropped it there, maybe when i'm in the mood i will try without it because i actually don't think it is necessary

i left applecpupmmgt.kext there because the fakesmc takes care of it, those people who use dsmos and/or nullcpu or any other kind of disabler/decrypter combo while fakesmc is present, sorry i can't help you, you completly mssed the pont of what those thngs are doing, use one or the other or live with problems.

graphics should work out of the box with the dsdt in the extra folder (don't copy one to root)

graphics should work out of the box with the dsdt in the extra folder (don't copy one to root)

eject,

Just to get this straight: with your DSDT.aml I shouldn't have to use NVKush (or any other non-apple kexts) to have fully functional QE/CE and resolution switching?

Thanks,

G

I am no expert but I think the kextutility was causing my problems. I just copied the kexts to the extras folder and the applehda for audio to the SLE folder and I'm up and running. I installed Chameleon RC1 after, and all is well.

I am no expert but I think the kextutility was causing my problems. I just copied the kexts to the extras folder and the applehda for audio to the SLE folder and I'm up and running. I installed Chameleon RC1 after, and all is well.

Do you use the default options on Chameleon? ou use the second one? EFI HFS?

I'll try this tomorrow, thanks. Just one question, no DSDT?

I didn't require a DSDT to boot using my method. However, after, I used the GUI DSDT patcher to create and patch the install.

Do you use the default options on Chameleon? ou use the second one? EFI HFS?

I used default Chameleon options. However, use RC1 and replace the boot file in the root with the one from EFI v10.2

eject,

Just to get this straight: with your DSDT.aml I shouldn't have to use NVKush (or any other non-apple kexts) to have fully functional QE/CE and resolution switching?

Thanks,

G

it's not mine, it's anitaniums, and dsdt only for graphics is state o the art since page 5 of this thread or so

Launched UInstaller from existing Leo install

Installed 10.6 to new partition GUID

Installed EFI 9 to new partition

Put 4 kext files, in Extra folder and /S/L/E (again, not sure which works)

fakesmc.kext OpenHaltRestart PlatformUUID.kext applehda.kext

In my extra folder i have the above mention kexts and com.apple.boot.plist, dsdt.aml, and smbios.plist

Put boot file on /root

Put DSDT on /root and Extra folder (not sure which works)

Edit the timeout to 30 in com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Then, boot into SL, and I installed Cameleon RC1 (deselect all options)

I boot with arch=i386 for 32bit mode because of Fusion. 64 boots fine as well.

The nullcpumanagement kext caused panics, so I deleted it, panics gone.

Sound and video work fine.

Stable install

I also, have not run the kext utility

Hope this helps!

Launched UInstaller from existing Leo install

Installed 10.6 to new partition GUID

Installed EFI 9 to new partition

Put 4 kext files, in Extra folder and /S/L/E (again, not sure which works)

fakesmc.kext OpenHaltRestart PlatformUUID.kext applehda.kext

In my extra folder i have the above mention kexts and com.apple.boot.plist, dsdt.aml, and smbios.plist

Put boot file on /root

Put DSDT on /root and Extra folder (not sure which works)

Edit the timeout to 30 in com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Then, boot into SL, and I installed Cameleon RC1 (deselect all options)

I boot with arch=i386 for 32bit mode because of Fusion. 64 boots fine as well.

The nullcpumanagement kext caused panics, so I deleted it, panics gone.

Sound and video work fine.

Stable install

I also, have not run the kext utility

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all your help, can you post your files? Thanks in advance.

I cannot boot after installing Chameleon 2 RC1 (without extras as referred).