LEOPARD OSX 10.5.4 ON AMD PHENOM DESKTOP (ACER X3200)

marcmak

17 posts in this topic

ACER X3200

AMD PHENOM TRIPLE CORE 2.1 GHZ

4 GIGS DDR2 MEMORY

NVIDIA GFORCE 8200 (ONBOARD)

NVIDIA LAN (INTERNET CONNECTION)

REALTEC 7.1 DIGITAL SOUND

WINDOWS VISTA 64 BIT HOME PREMIUM

Ok I have tried for quite some time, to get the correct distro, to work for my x3200 Acer desktop computer, And finally I found one.... just type in google: lawless leopard amd, its the 3rd listing, takes a long time too download, but worth the wait..., this distro is PATCHED for Phenom only not intel. once you have burned the ISO IMAGE on a dvd, just pop it in your dvd drive and let it do its thing, do not enter commands like -v, -f, -x, -s at the boot, leave it alone, this is what worked for me, it will install the drivers it needs to install Mac OS X. Once you get the welcome screen go to the toolbar and choose disk utility, now make sure you have created a partition for mac to be installed. In google type "how to shrink partition in Vista and create". Once you've done that, created a partition go to your BIOS, (del key to enter) and select default, and save. Now put in your new Lawless dvd in to the drive and press f-12 to boot, select dvd drive, then it will load all the drivers needed to get into the install screen. Now at the toolbar choose disk utility, then choose the partition you just created in vista, then choose (the first scroll bar) Mac OS X Extended Journaled, then type in the name you want it to be called below that, ex. leopard OS. once thats done click erase, and erase again, once done, it will show as mounted. Now get out of disk utility and continue with the install, click yes to accept, the choose the drive you just renamed in the disk utility, click continue, then click customize, and add under Audio choose ONLY AZALIA AUDIO. continue to install, a drop down screen will come up saying checking disk data click skip, and it will install Leopard. Once installed and rebooted, fill in what its asks name etc, once it asks you about how you get online, click this computer does not connect to the internet and continue. Once your in Leopard desktop, @ the apple logo on the toolbar select restart.... you'll notice on restart, your vista is not showing up, when your at the countdown of the darwin boot select f-8 and select vista... get on the net and get this (nvidia lan kext) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125569 and save it on to your c:/ drive, you can delete it later. Now while your still in vista get OSX86 tool from here http://######.com/osx86tools/ and save it to c:/ drive, this is the easest way with osx86 tool, to find your device id's, once you have it running you will not be able to use marvin amd @ this point. Now reboot back into leopard, go to your vista drive and and drag the nforcelan kext (nvidia only) and osx86 tool to your leopard desktop, ok now double click on osx86 tool and select view pci vendor id, it will ask you too reboot, click reboot, once your back on the leopard desktop double click on osx 86 again and and click pci/vendor id's it will have your device id's (info) write them down, so the only thing you have to add would be 0x in from of the id's, Now right click on nforce lan select show package contents, then double click on contents then double click on info.plist and scroll down to where it says IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH, now just add this 0x----10de, the --- is your number, then save. then @ the toolbar select go->utilities->then kext helper drag nforce lan icon kext into it, put in your password and select easy install, once done reboot. Once your back into leopard a pop up screen will let you know it recognized a lan, now goto system prefs, network, and you will see your ethernet in yellow... click assist me then click Assist, continue and continue, it will say cannot get online, thats ok, get out of that screen, and where it says location select auto and you should have internet, apply and lock. Now for the Audio, I have tried many kexts like alc888, but unfortunately they did not work for me, I am still working on that, if you want sound I can show you how to get 2 channels with AZALIA AUDIO.... now from the toolbar click go->computer->and your leopard drive->then system->library->extensions->look for APPLE AZALIA AUDIO right click on it and select show package contents then contents and now double click on info.plist and look for<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0888 0x11d4198b 0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff</string> mine is the first one, this is what I added, Once you've added your string and saved goto plugins->apple azalia controller kext right click on it and select show package contents then then contents and now double click on info.plist and look for<string>AppleAzaliaController</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x077410de 0x26688086 0x27d88086 0x284b8086 0x32881106 0x026c10de 0x037110de 0x03e410de 0x03f010de 0x044a10de 0x044b10de 0x437b1002 0x43831002 0x75021039</string> again mine is the first one. and thats it you should have sound! Now for graphics using the OSX86 tool why this? because @ this point there's NO kext drivers for the gforce 8200 but with this tool you can aleast get the quartz gl to be enable on your leopard OS X, click on enable disable quartz gl then it will ask you too reboot, click reboot, now to add the efi string/boot flag, click on efi string/boot flag then click gfx string and add your gforce number, then import string, now leave legacy, you can use the resolution 1024x768 or 1280x1024x32 or whatever your monitor is capable, then the time of boot, how many seconds you want darwin to wait before boot (I put 2 seconds) and forget about quite boot leave blank! Now lets update your system Goto your apple logo on the toolbar and select update software, you can update everything BUT MAC OSX UPDATE COMBINED 10.5.6 uncheck this because you have to do some patching, before you can do that, and that a whole NEW ball game!, I have selected all the updates but OSX COMBINED 10.5.6 and remote client desktopclick updated.....more to come: working on a perfect dual boot, using vista boot or grub, and 5.1 and 7.1 digital sound, for now use the f-8 key if you want to go to your vista. Many Thanks too lawless distro, and all the kexts writers, And Insanely Mac and OSX86, without them this would not be possible.

WARNING...

Disclaimer: This article is for educational and informational purpose only. I am not responsible. All risks on installation are taken by you and you are responsible for installing it (you made that choice).

"If you want EASY! get a real MAC"....Support Apple!

WARNING...

Disclaimer: This article is for educational and informational purpose only. I am not responsible. All risks on installation are taken by you and you are responsible for installing it (you made that choice).

"If you want EASY! get a real MAC"....Support Apple!

LOL's, no one puts disclaimers relating to risk. If one is in this forum they are very in tune with risks associated with hackintosh.

• 4 months later...

just wanted to say thanks. i have the exact same system and for the most part this guide worked for me. my sound/internet/usb ports seem to be working just fine.

i cannot get it to upgrade to 10.5.7 though. tried various methods all which just resulted in various crashes. has anyone been successful upgrading to 10.5.7 on this particular system?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

First of all, thank you so much for posting such a definitive article about installing OSX86 on Acer Aspire X3200 for all 'unlucky' X3200 users out there. (the reason I'm saying 'unlucky', even Acer doesn't give much support for these models).

After testing many different distros without much luck (with the exception iPC), I've tried Lawless on my X3200. I've to say it is so far the best I've tested on my PC. I used to get kernel panics, garbled texts when scrolling, etc and etc with other distros but Lawless is working solid without any of of those issues.

However, I'm still struggling with my Audio and Network setup. For audio, I've tried all those steps explained in the post but I'm still not having much luck. I can see the Azalia kext is loading but I still don't have any sound. Any thoughts?

For nextwork, I've managed to get the ethernet card set up successfully but it is now it has a 'self assigned IP' and not reading the ip from DHCP. I have a router sitting between my PC and cable modem). I used to have network out of box, when I tried iPC without installing the chipset driver.

Really appreciate if someone could help me out to sort these issues out. Many thanks in advance.

I downloaded many distros including Lawless and none of them worked on my AMD Phenom X4 9500 besides iDeneb v3, BUT as soon as i got to the screen of registering my computer and stuff i realized that my keyboard didnt work? Is there a fix?? I have a HP m8400f PLEASE HELP ME, and i am trying to dual boot with Windows 7, which is what im currently using.

Also now that ive tried to put the cd and boot up into the installation... It basically destroyed the system and goes onto the black screen presenting.."boot0: error" with the little flashing underscore... and it just sits there..... So what should I do now? I really would like to run this on my desktop, please right back or send me a Private Message. (PM)

I downloaded many distros including Lawless and none of them worked on my AMD Phenom X4 9500 besides iDeneb v3, BUT as soon as i got to the screen of registering my computer and stuff i realized that my keyboard didnt work? Is there a fix?? I have a HP m8400f PLEASE HELP ME, and i am trying to dual boot with Windows 7, which is what im currently using.

Also now that ive tried to put the cd and boot up into the installation... It basically destroyed the system and goes onto the black screen presenting.."boot0: error" with the little flashing underscore... and it just sits there..... So what should I do now? I really would like to run this on my desktop, please right back or send me a Private Message. (PM)

I'm no expert but I think that's because your keyboard and mouse are PS/2 devices. I've had the same issue first but selecting the PS/2 fix solved that problem.

Booting with the DVD cannot not destory a system. Have you tried entering 'rd=diskXsY' at F8?

No i havent, but ive tried everything else and been researching.. What does that command do? Btw, i have a USB mouse and a PS/2 cord would that have caused confusion or what? And most of the time when i try to install Mac OS X on my system it never works this was the first time that it actually booted into the registration screen and unluckily, my keyboard didnt work... smh. Any other suggestions?

No i havent, but ive tried everything else and been researching.. What does that command do? Btw, i have a USB mouse and a PS/2 cord would that have caused confusion or what? And most of the time when i try to install Mac OS X on my system it never works this was the first time that it actually booted into the registration screen and unluckily, my keyboard didnt work... smh. Any other suggestions?

I've faced many problems too but after I partitioned my PC and installed Lawless, everything went smoothly with the exceptions of network and sound. By the way there are two versions of Lawless on R****share. Make sure you download the one with 18 parts. Other one didn't work on my PC.

It's sound the PS/2 keyboard caused the problem. Test with a USB keyboard and a mouse (Lawless installs the PS/2 fix by default so you don't need to use USB keyboard or mouse if you are going to try Lawless again).

To use the rd=diskXsY command, you need to find out the disk number X (normally it's 0 unless if you are installing OSX on a separate HDD) and the partition number Y. After you have those information, when the DVD is prompting you to press F8 and enter additional commands type -v cpus=1 rd=diskXsY and press enter. Replace X and Y with your disk number and partition number.

Let me know how it goes.

I've faced many problems too but after I partitioned my PC and installed Lawless, everything went smoothly with the exceptions of network and sound. By the way there are two versions of Lawless on R****share. Make sure you download the one with 18 parts. Other one didn't work on my PC.

It's sound the PS/2 keyboard caused the problem. Test with a USB keyboard and a mouse (Lawless installs the PS/2 fix by default so you don't need to use USB keyboard or mouse if you are going to try Lawless again).

To use the rd=diskXsY command, you need to find out the disk number X (normally it's 0 unless if you are installing OSX on a separate HDD) and the partition number Y. After you have those information, when the DVD is prompting you to press F8 and enter additional commands type -v cpus=1 rd=diskXsY and press enter. Replace X and Y with your disk number and partition number.

Let me know how it goes.

Ok cool downloadnig now, after i have all of these 18 files where should i then put them since it has to be one iso, is there some sort of application/program to merge the files? Or do i merge with the WinRARs default setting? And yeah i figured that out the disk0s3 i will be sure to do that. Just wondering, what is your setup? Your processor and computer specifications, right now im working with this desktop but i will be buying a Dell 1525 Laptop with Webcam, seems to make the best Hackintosh and plus it its portable which is what I actually needed.

Ok cool downloadnig now, after i have all of these 18 files where should i then put them since it has to be one iso, is there some sort of application/program to merge the files? Or do i merge with the WinRARs default setting? And yeah i figured that out the disk0s3 i will be sure to do that. Just wondering, what is your setup? Your processor and computer specifications, right now im working with this desktop but i will be buying a Dell 1525 Laptop with Webcam, seems to make the best Hackintosh and plus it its portable which is what I actually needed.

Sorry I've been a bit busy. My PC has identical specs as the ones appearing in the first post. Only difference is my processor is a quad-core. This is what I did:

1. Wiped the whole HDD and created new partitions using GPartEd (the best partition tool!)

One primary ntfs partition (100GB) - for Windows 7

One primary hfs partition (20GB)- for OSX

One extended partition (200GB)

Inside the extended partition I have these:

One ext4 partition (20GB) - Linux /

One ext4 partition (20GB) - Linux /home

One swap partition (2GB) - Linux swap

One fat32 partition - to share data between all OSs

2. Installed Win 7 Home Premium without recovery partition/data (Google it)

3. Installed OSX using the instructions appearing on this post (using Lawless, I think it is the best 'stable' distro for AMD CPUs). I followed all instructions but cannot get the sound or network working. OSX identifies my network card but it has a self-assigned IP address so it is useless. I've to figure out how to get those two working.

4. Installed OpenSuSE 11.2. I've been an OpenSuSE fan for a few years and it works really well on my PC. Yes 11.2 has some issues but workarounds are there for all the issues. When I installed Linux, I added the OSX entry to GRUB (the best boot loader ever!).

Now I have a triple boot system which can boot which works really well. Only things I need to configure are my sound and network on OSX. I know this is not probably the best forum to say this but I've been starting to question myself the need of OSX. Linux gives pretty much everything I need and a lot more I ever can get from Mac OS. Yes I agree OSX (and all Mac products) is a very attractive OS, but for the sake of that should I spend so much time trying to figure out how to set up my network driver, which Linux sets up by default? Anyway that's my opinion but I've to say I quite enjoyed the whole learning curve of OSX installation and I salute for those guys hard work.

About your idea of buying a Dell 1525 just to install OSX, personally I wouldn't do that if I were you. In my opinion the whole Hackintosh concept is trying to get the best use of what we already have in hand. I think that's the beauty of it. Instead of buying a new laptop just to install OSX, I would rather spend a bit more money and get a real Mac (MacMini or MacBook). Anyway that's my opinion.

OK all these information might not be what you are looking for, but consider about partitioning and start everything from scratch, as it worked well for me. In my opinion that clean installation is far better than resizing existing partition option. Also make sure you are going to have more than 4 primary partitions as OSX can't handle it (something I've read somewhere).

Good luck!

Ok thanks i will see, and i have a Quad-Core Processor too. But my problem with Lawless is that it doesnt even boot up onto my computer doesnt reach apple screen has a kernel problem im guessing... I thought it worked on all AMD Phenoms i cant find any other distro and yeah i've followed your instructions but moving on is the problem i need to know what will work first.

Ok thanks i will see, and i have a Quad-Core Processor too. But my problem with Lawless is that it doesnt even boot up onto my computer doesnt reach apple screen has a kernel problem im guessing... I thought it worked on all AMD Phenoms i cant find any other distro and yeah i've followed your instructions but moving on is the problem i need to know what will work first.

Have you tried the verbose mode (entering -v) with Lawless? What error messages you get when you try verbose mode? Also, have you tried iPC? It is probably the best distro out there so it should work. Try to find the version iPC-OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final

Have you tried the verbose mode (entering -v) with Lawless? What error messages you get when you try verbose mode? Also, have you tried iPC? It is probably the best distro out there so it should work. Try to find the version iPC-OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final

Yeah i downloaded iPC and it goes to the apple screen but then some little square and a gray circular type stop sign messes up the whole process... I dont know what it is its like one of those signs in a parking lot? And when i use any other command it says "Still waiting for root device" Any fixes?

Yeah i downloaded iPC and it goes to the apple screen but then some little square and a gray circular type stop sign messes up the whole process... I dont know what it is its like one of those signs in a parking lot? And when i use any other command it says "Still waiting for root device" Any fixes?

Have a look here:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/possible-sol...t-device-t1467/