NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

So what's youre CPU and speed? and what cooler do you use?

I love to hea from others how and whta they do!

Ed

EP45-UD3R, 4GB DDR2, Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 1 TB HDD, 9800GT, OCZ 500 watt PS. I didn't buy an aftermarket cooler because I read that Intel stock coolers do a pretty efficient job. But I did house everything in an awesome Lian Li PC 60+ case with outstanding airflow. I actually only need the 12 cm side fan running and the computer runs SUPER quiet, super cool and ROCK solid. On this machine, Mac OS X just sings.....  :rolleyes:

EP45-UD3R, 4GB DDR2, Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 1 TB HDD, 9800GT, OCZ 500 watt PS. I didn't buy an aftermarket cooler because I read that Intel stock coolers do a pretty efficient job. But I did house everything in an awesome Lian Li PC 60+ case with outstanding airflow. I actually only need the 12 cm side fan running and the computer runs SUPER quiet, super cool and ROCK solid. On this machine, Mac OS X just sings..... :D

those are unbeleivable temps you have on load using stock cooler... when you posted those temps I though you had water cooling...

your room must be super cold...

Woohoo on my Q6600 G0 I just went from 3.2Ghz (stable for few weeks now using default vcore voltage 1.325v) up to 3.5Ghz stable, but due to the voltage increase (1.45v) my temps are at 73°C (71°C is the max according to intel spec for my cpu), I'll try to lower the voltage ans keep it stable ... 3.6Ghz was stable with a minimum vcore @ 1.48v but temps would go up to 75°C on load so not good at all...

Both the cores on my machine are running between 35- 39 degree C, during all of my routine usage. All this on a stock cooler. I applied some artic silver 5 and removed the stock thermal pad. I am not a big gamer, though.

I have my comp (E8500 @ stock speed, 4 GB ram, 640 G SATA HD, 9600GT ) all housed in a Antec P182 case. The case has excellent cooling properties.

I have an E8600, running 8*500 (4.0Ghz) with the original Scythe Ninja heatsink and a 120mm fan. I get around 35c normally and up to 60c under load. This is with an Antec P180 case.

*** 10.5.7 is now out!!!

Quick update:

Tried 10.5.7 update and it failed. Rolling back to 10.5.6 *sigh*

I had complete vanilla install with just the necessary extensions in the Extra/Extensions folder.

interesting, as I just installed it on my OLD GA-P35-DS3P running Kalyway and although it took three attempts to boot I am back up and running with 10.5.7. I'm about to try it on my new Vanilla retail install next.

Noted 10.5.7 also broke my *new* chameleon 2.0 RC1 / Vanilla OSX 10.5.6 using the eliade / gmacman method.

Kexts are only in the extra/Extensions method and EFI string for video card

I am using the orignal eliade kexts from his step1.zip - step3.zip post

It was 100% unmodified base and never had issues

Sucks..

Right now I am using the grub-dfe boot disk to load the hd

So far It goes into kernel panic when loading APPLEHDA....

My guess is the Audio kexts need to be removed.

Will post in a few with results

Success!

Kernel panic is caused by the loading of the audio kexts.. I removed them from the Extra/Extensions folder and rebooted with -f flag

Booted clean and happy!

The kexts I have removed were...

HDAEnabler.Kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

I am pulling the log to post the kernel panic

Last message before kernel panic is this:

5/12/09 3:44:09 PM kernel HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

5/12/09 3:44:09 PM kernel HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

5/12/09 3:44:27 PM kernel Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

I re-installed 10.5.1 and then did a combo update to 10.5.7. That worked.

Then applied Chameleon.

I am using the bare minimum kexts in /Extra/Extensions, and I am back to where I was in 10.5.6 (except audio)

Problems:

Audio Kexts leads to Kernel Panic (already mentioned by others)

My modified smbios.plist also gives me a kernel panic. If i delete that file, everything is fine, except that the About this mac is not correct, which is not a big deal.

The big issue is to get the audio back.

just came home

OK so now we need dsdt to load the sound

after reading this unfortunate problem I just looked around

the answer to the problem is loading applehad using DSDT instead of HDAEnabler

but first we need to get dsdt to work without carring about sound yet

Anyone want to try playing around with me to be sure we get the same result ? seanmcd ?

so first go to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683

and get your dsdt patched put the generated dsdt.aml in the extra folder

cross your finger and hopes it boot , if it doesn't work rename it to DSDT.aml (case sensitive), if it still doesn't work we are temporarly screwed...

I'll do the same in 10.5.6 for now and hope it works too for those people who wants to stay at 10.5.6

I'll probably be updating to 10.5.7 as soon as sound works (I want to watch a movie tonight :P )

as soon as this is done say so ?

and will go on the next step

just came home

OK so now we need dsdt to load the sound

after reading this unfortunate problem I just looked around

the answer to the problem is loading applehad using DSDT instead of HDAEnabler

but first we need to get dsdt to work without carring about sound yet

Anyone want to try playing around with me to be sure we get the same result ? seanmcd ?

so first go to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683

and get your dsdt patched put the generated dsdt.aml in the extra folder

cross your finger and hopes it boot , if it doesn't work rename it to DSDT.aml (case sensitive), if it still doesn't work we are temporarly screwed...

I'll do the same in 10.5.6 for now and hope it works too for those people who wants to stay at 10.5.6

I'll probably be updating to 10.5.7 as soon as sound works (I want to watch a movie tonight :P )

as soon as this is done say so ?

and will go on the next step

Eliade,

I got the dsdt patched and booted successfully. You can have my machine to experiment. Let me know what I should do next.

Eliade,

I got the dsdt patched and booted successfully. You can have my machine to experiment. Let me know what I should do next.

ok great

basically what we need to try is there:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry912132

DSDT.dsl should be in the the patcher folder, in the debug folder

but I'll copy the interesting part here:

(original info from THe KiNG)

Open the DSDT.dsl and go to your HDEF entry(if you don't have HDEF entry modd it), also open IORegistryExplorer(install XCode if you dont have it yet):

You need to add these entry(bolded) on your DSDT under Device (HDEF) based on info you get from IOReg(red marks)as I did:

Device (HDEF)
		   {
			   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			   Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			   {
				   Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x03))
			   }

<b>Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			   {
				   Store (Package (0x08)
					   {
						   "codec-id", 
						   Buffer (0x04)
						   {
							   0x88, 0x08, 0xec, 0x10
						   }, 

"layout-id", 
						   Buffer (0x04)
						   {
							   0x0c, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						   },

"device-type", 
						   Buffer (0x11)
						   {
							   "Mobile ALC888 S/T"
						   },

"PinConfigurations", 
						   Buffer (0x20)
						   {
  								/* 0000 */	0x30, 0x40, 0x21, 0x01, 0x40, 0x01, 0x10, 0x90, 
  								/* 0008 */	0x20, 0x10, 0x21, 0x01, 0x60, 0x01, 0x41, 0x01, 
  								/* 0010 */	0x50, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x10, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x90, 
  								/* 0018 */	0xf0, 0x11, 0x56, 0x10
						   }

}, Local0)
				   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				   Return (Local0)
			   }</b>

}

post-309790-1242187096_thumb.jpg

Quick explain on what is those terms/entry:

"Store (Package (0x08)" - This is how many entry u have to inject, in my case there are 4, multiply with 2=8 dec to hex= 0x08

"Buffer (0x04)" this is how many data is under it, 0x88, 0x08, 0xec, 0x10 that means 4 dec to hex=0x04

"}," the comma means that another entry comes, when its "}" that mean no more entry after

"/* 0018 */" As you can see we have 3 complete entry of 8 =24 dec to hex= 0x18, if you need to add another one then will be 32 dec to hex=0x20 result "/* 0020 */" for the next line of 8, when you finish to add remove "," after last one.

Pay attentions to all this, they are very important!

------------

could you two post your "orginal" dsdt.dsl

I'd like to know if it's exactly the same file considering we have the same board

-----

I booted without hdaenabler

and HDEF does not show up in the IORegistryExplorer.app

so I suppose you don't either

I booted with the enabler now it shows up so use my values, since it should be the same sound device wether it's REV1 or REV1.1 of the board

edit

values are missing....

Hello,

First of all, please excuse my english ;-)

I just got my system (EP45-UD3R), and I want to install my first Leopard with Retail DVD. I want to know the difference between boot-132 and grub-dfe method.

I understand that for boot-132 is necessary to create 2 partition on HDD (one for boot-132 and one for OSX). If I will use grub-dfe, it will be necessary to create 2 partition too, or I will have just 1 partition on HDD?

Also if I will use boot-132, how big the partition must be?

Thank you!

Hello,

First of all, please excuse my english ;-)

I just got my system (EP45-UD3R), and I want to install my first Leopard with Retail DVD. I want to know the difference between boot-132 and grub-dfe method.

I understand that for boot-132 is necessary to create 2 partition on HDD (one for boot-132 and one for OSX). If I will use grub-dfe, it will be necessary to create 2 partition too, or I will have just 1 partition on HDD?

Also if I will use boot-132, how big the partition must be?

Thank you!

boot132 and grub are basically the same thing, they do the same thing differently from what I understood. all they do is allow you to boot the retail dvd or a retail osx instal

Only one partition is needed... for the install look at the first page of this thread which links to azigog who has a great how to...

then use the kext I posted (link is in my sig) istead of azigog's kext...

and keep reding this thread for 10.5.7 there are little modifications that I'm trying to figure out...

-----------

@ seanmcd and xgenuis

Ok it seems the problem is not hdaenabler itself, it's the whole package, hdaenabler is actually fine

so basically remove

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

LegacyHDAController

HDAEnabler

and use the kext posted by skx on his second post (1st page)

this applehda must be in S/L/E (maybe ALCinject too)

let me know !

at least you should have sound for now, I hope...

HOW TO UPDATE TO 10.5.7 (when using retail install)

before updating you must remove: HDAEnabler, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, LegacyHDAController found in previous kext pack and use the ones from this pack

then a simple software update will do!

you may replaces all the ones from this pack before or after the update...

Updated MAY 20: new sound kext

Pack_for_10.5.7.zip

edit May 20: I added a bunch of readme I just made, how to use this pack, tips and tricks, how to install from retail disk

don't hesitate to edit/update/add more detail to the readmes and how to's, I did it quickly and I'm sure it can be improved... then post them so that I can replace them in the pack

that will lower the number of repeated usual questions... in this thread

delete all the kext you have in your extra/Extensions and replace with the ones in this pack...

(except of course for special ones you added yourself for special hardware)

ich10 kext are not needed any more (10.5.7 fully supports ich10)

so LegacyAppleAHCIPort, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA,

can and should be deleted (they are not in this pack)

but keep LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage (fix HD icon)

if timed sleep doesn't when firefox is running use this fix thanks to xgenius:

"Fireup Firefox, type in about:config in the address bar. It will open up the config values, after a warning.

Type in "places.frecency.updateIdleTime" in the Filter text box. You should see the parameter to 60,000. Click on the parameter and modify the value to 0. Basically, you are disabling the parameter."

----

WHAT WAS FIXED AFTER THE ORIGINAL 10.5.7 pack:

everything should be in Extra/Extensions

rear sound now works

front output audio now works

sleep now works

WHAT IS NOT WORKING YET in 10.5.7:

front microphone (never worked even before 10.5.7)

since 10.5.7, if I have a 400Mhz FBS, the system doesn't wake up from sleep... (other overclokers noticed that)

--------

if you install from scratch, use grub dfe to update up to 10.5.7 and use this pack

this pack can be used temporarily in previous version too (at least from 10.5.4 and up)

same drill

- if you use jmicronATA don't forget to disable "HD sleep" (if you don't your system will panic once and a while)

and use -f in the apple.boot.plist (or you won't get everything working)

all the typical updates usually work, but the question for you will be - will the 10.5.7 update download and install without breaking anything :) . (that will be the question for everyone really...)

Well that question is answered. It works just fine with only two small problems after update to 10.5.7. The first is Orange Icon of the HD and second the audio didn't worked anymore.

I just removed AppleHDA.kext and installed the one from this post with OSX86Tools and for the orange icon I copied pasted it from another disk.

Just running fine so far!

wink_anim.gif

after installing, during the first run, it should ask you if you want to install somekind of plugin for intel cpu temperature, if you refused it then you won't get cpu temp...

or could it be because of the Xeon...

You should check your Bios-settings in advance-section;

Advanced Settings

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]

C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]

x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]

CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

I think you should check it there. I'm not shure how exactly but i'll check it when I'm at home again.

Hi,

Updated to 10.5.7. This is what worked for me.

Did clean install of 10.5.6 from the retail Leopard disc on my spare Sata harddrive testbed. Used UInstaller to intall PC_EFI v9 Chameleon & essentials. Fixed permissions, rebooted without grub.iso. Updated with 10.5.7 update (the 442 mb one, not the 729 mb combo) rebooted, fixed permissions again, install NVInstaller v52.pkg, reboot, fix permissions, used OSX_86 tools to enable QuartzGL, fix permissions, reboot. Reinstall ALC889a with UInstaller, reboot fix permissions. 

At this point, video, audio, networking are already all working fine. 

Install remainder of updates thru software update. Reboot fix permissions. 

Just remember to backup your home folder first.

:)

What happened to DSDT?? I'm holding off on the older audio kexts. I've read in at least two threads about audio for 889A that you don't need the alcinject.kext. I got my audio to work again last night without it, just not the headphones but i've tried so many things I had to stop and goto bed. Also one of the ICH10 files fixed the orange drive icons I thought...

And, I think I need to repair permissions after each change I make. I think sometimes my changes don't take affect if I don't?

Back to the drawing board!

Just remember to backup your home folder first.

Just chiming in. I'm not going to be able to start trying the solutions until tomorrow. But it I wanted to remind some of the new folks who may be reading this thread for the first time how important it is to do a good backup of your boot drive before doing anything major (like a big system update) as grice mentions.

For my real Macs I've used Carbon Copy Cloner in the past and now use SuperDuper which I think is a little bit easier IMO.

A cloned copy of your boot drive is probably the best and easiest way to undo a problem like the 10.5.7 thing. My main harddrive has two partitions (one with just over 100MB to act as the backup drive). I then routinely (and always before I edit the system) make a clone of the boot drive onto the backup partition. That way I can always go-back by just booting from the Leopard DVD (using grub-dfe CD or boot-132 CD of course), and then replace the messed up boot drive with my cloned copy.

I did do the update this morning on one of our real MacBooks just to start comparing the kexts 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 or see what chaged, but I really like Eliade's concept of the DSDT patching (eventhough doing that kind of thing is WAY above my head).

But I like it because it sounds that if done correctly there would never be any need to have an extension fix for the audio (or any hardware mapped correctly with DSDT) and instead OSX would always (no matter what was updated in a system update) recognize how to use the audio hardware of our mobo.

It's actually not too much of a bummer that 10.5.7 broke the our "best/cleanest" setup. The concept of keeping everything clean in the s/l/e folder is still the right approach because doing the update (even with the current workaround) is a heck of a lot easier than doing a full blown reinstall and replacing all the extensions.

And, I think I need to repair permissions after each change I make. I think sometimes my changes don't take affect if I don't?

I agree seanmcd, I think depending on what the permissions of the new kext you put in are, repairing the permissions is important.

What happened to DSDT?? I'm holding off on the older audio kexts. I've read in at least two threads about audio for 889A that you don't need the alcinject.kext. I got my audio to work again last night without it, just not the headphones but i've tried so many things I had to stop and goto bed. Also one of the ICH10 files fixed the orange drive icons I thought...

Back to the drawing board!

DSDT is the solution, but the instruction I found do not match what I see, and I don't know enough to keep going (actually I don't know anything :( )

I have a 3D animation to start and finish and render by tomorrow night so I really don't have time until the day after tomorrow

but I wanted to update and get sound, that's why I'm using the older kext at least for now

could you please post the original AppleHDA from 10.5.7, thanks

But I like it because it sounds that if done correctly there would never be any need to have an extension fix for the audio (or any hardware mapped correctly with DSDT) and instead OSX would always (no matter what was updated in a system update) recognize how to use the audio hardware of our mobo.

it's above my head too...

but I'm not letting down the idea

It's actually not too much of a bummer that 10.5.7 broke the our "best/cleanest" setup. The concept of keeping everything clean in the s/l/e folder is still the right approach because doing the update (even with the current workaround) is a heck of a lot easier than doing a full blown reinstall and replacing all the extensions.

yeah :D

Yeah the DSDT is really interesting once you start reading into it. I want to definitely look further into that.

The funny thing is - I first ran the update on my old OSX86 install, which was created from the Kalaway (Sp?) 10.5.2 custom install disk, and every update I have done in the past was a pain in the butt to get to 10.5.6. I simply added the disabler.kext, downloaded and ran the 10.5.7 patch, and after two reboot attempts it works perfectly. It's a different motherboard but has the same audio hardware. I never expected it to update without having to redo kexts! :hysterical:

could you please post the original AppleHDA from 10.5.7, thanks

I was about to ask the same thing... :D

Yeah the DSDT is really interesting once you start reading into it. I want to definitely look further into that.

The funny thing is - I first ran the update on my old OSX86 install, which was created from the Kalaway (Sp?) 10.5.2 custom install disk, and every update I have done in the past was a pain in the butt to get to 10.5.6. I simply added the disabler.kext, downloaded and ran the 10.5.7 patch, and after two reboot attempts it works perfectly. It's a different motherboard but has the same audio hardware. I never expected it to update without having to redo kexts! :hysterical:

I was about to ask the same thing... :D

Here's my original 10.5.7 AppleHDA.kext from the update I did on my MacBook. But there were a bunch of kexts that involve the audio system that were updated. These were listed as having "dependencies" with the AppleHDA.kext:

com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily old verison (1.6.2a37) new version (1.6.8a3)

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily old verison (1.6.5fc3) new version (1.6.9fc3)

com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib old verison (1.6.2a37) new version (1.6.8a3)

And of course the HDA itself

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA old verison (1.6.2a37) new version (1.6.8a3)

Of course all this is Greek to me, but it's clear that much of the audio extensions were changed and so our HDAEnabler.kext probably has some info that no longer works with the updated audio stuff (I know, "no sh*t sherlock that's why our audio is broken). But that's why the patching the DSDT sounds so promising. Fix the hardware "list" so that any changes to extensions map correctly.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Just had a thought..."what about people who have real Mac Pros who may have added a sound card, do they have any problems?"

So I popped over to the Apple Support Discussions (highly suggest taking a look there for Apple related help) and there are some rather irritated Mac users who are saying 10.5.7 broke this or that on their real Macs.

Misery loves company. :P

Haven't found anyone who said their audio on their real Mac died from the update yet but I did find this interesting thread about the audio "pop" which I know some folks complain about. The interesting part is that happens a lot on MacBooks and someone created a little launchagent that fixes the problem (it's in the thread if interested).