NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

thank for the reply yeahh.. i yesterday try out the cs3 is work fine... but now only the problem for the FCP 6.0 i think maybe the installation got problem today i will try about it... should be no problem.... because all the program can be run without problem....... yheahhhh 8 G ... me too hahaha enjoy mac ~!! :thumbsup_anim:

another thing i wanna ask the processor i was using 2.4 Quad... OC to 3.0 but the mac detected was 4 G unknow processor ? how ?

It doesn't detect the processor very well on this board, I don't really know why,

some places I've read it's about the AppleSMBIOS.kext, I've try all the the modified ones I could find, none of them did any difference... so I don't know

for visual satisfaction I've tried a little program that detects your processor and replaces the text in the "About this mac", I forgot the nane though (maybe in this thread)

as for speed, I remember an older version of cpuz (on windows) on my previous board with E6600.

it didn't take into account the lowered mutiplier, going for 2.4 to 3.2 x8 instead of x9 so the displayed CPU speed in cpuz was much higher. so if you did change your multiplier, maybe osx is not taking into account the multiplier and would only look at FSB speed

I suppose you have windows installed to check the temperature or did you find a tool for OSX ?

I would like to overclock it a bit (Q6600), but I don't want to fry it

I do 3D rendering on this machine so the CPU is pushed to it's max potential (and temperature...), sometime for few days... non-stop

EDIT:

answering my one question about temperature monitor

I found one that seems to give me believable readings:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

as for my overclocking it out of the question for me, it idles around 36°C

but during 3D rendering Core1 goes up to 59°C, the other Cores are around 55°C

and the room is cool right now, I expect it to jump up over 60°C on the hottest days...

It doesn't detect the processor very well on this board, I don't really know why,

some places I've read it's about the AppleSMBIOS.kext, I've try all the the modified ones I could find, none of them did any difference... so I don't know

The next version of Chameleon should do a better job of detecting the CPU so hopefully we won't need to hack AppleSMBIOS.kext or use any other hacks associated with this file.

Do any of you know where & how to get debug info on kernel panic?

I know there was some thing like "debug=..." to add to some file...

but I forgot what to do...

since I installed 8GB(4x2GB) of ram (instead of 4GB (4x1GB)) (Corsair XMS 800MHz 5-5-5-18)

I get a kernel panic during startup (after a shutdown or restart), unless I totally switch off the power supply... then OSX boots without any trouble...

after a success boot the computer run perfectly fine

memtest86 runs fine if I have one stick installed at the time, but at least in the latest version of memtest86, it freezes after a minute if I test all four stick at the same time... so I wonder if it's something with the board itself rather than OSX...

EDIT: the previous version of memtest worked perfectly with all four stick, so now I suspect it's something to do with OSX

for visual satisfaction I've tried a little program that detects your processor and replaces the text in the "About this mac", I forgot the nane though (maybe in this thread)

as for speed, I remember an older version of cpuz (on windows) on my previous board with E6600.

it didn't take into account the lowered mutiplier, going for 2.4 to 3.2 x8 instead of x9 so the displayed CPU speed in cpuz was much higher. so if you did change your multiplier, maybe osx is not taking into account the multiplier and would only look at FSB speed

I suppose you have windows installed to check the temperature or did you find a tool for OSX ?

I would like to overclock it a bit (Q6600), but I don't want to fry it

I do 3D rendering on this machine so the CPU is pushed to it's max potential (and temperature...), sometime for few days... non-stop

EDIT:

answering my one question about temperature monitor

I found one that seems to give me believable readings:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

as for my overclocking it out of the question for me, it idles around 36°C

but during 3D rendering Core1 goes up to 59°C, the other Cores are around 55°C

and the room is cool right now, I expect it to jump up over 60°C on the hottest days...

:D thanks thanks for answering ... u are the 3d artist ?

The next version of Chameleon should do a better job of detecting the CPU so hopefully we won't need to hack AppleSMBIOS.kext or use any other hacks associated with this file.

thanks for the information ;)

:thumbsup_anim: thanks thanks for answering ... u are the 3d artist ?

3D artist ... I'm trying :-)

(probably one of the few using a hackintosh though :-D)

I did manage to get one tiny project on a French commercial for PYREX (cookware stuff) last year

you can find some of my old and pretty much first 3D renderings (2007) on deviantart:http://eliaden.deviantart.com/gallery/

as soon as I have a little more time I'll built myself a nice website with my portfolio on it (I have one but it has also never been updated since 2007, time went so fast...)

thanks for the kexts skx!

I'm using these with Ideneb v.1.4 10.5.6 iInstalled in a EP45-UD3R and in a EP45-UD3

kexts applied for: audio ALC889a, reboot fix (using the easy way: OSX86Tools)

specs for both systems: 4Gb RAM, LG BluRay SATA, 9600GT 512Mb and SATA drives

tested and working: FCP, Adobe CS3, LAN, firewire onboard (DV,HDV)

:D Another successful build. It would not have been possible without the extensive information in this thread. My system

EP45-UD3R

Intel Core2Duo E8500

4G DDR2 1066

nVidia 9600 GT

WD 640G SATA2

Here is my method:

I used the zipped version of the kexts from this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1060141. Thanks Eliade.

Then I used auzigog's tutorial (http://auzigog.com/2008/12/23/hackintosh-20/) to do a vanilla 10.5.6 install. UInstaller is a great tool.

1. Boot from grub-dfe cd rom

2. Install leopard

3. restart with grub-dfe

4. Install OS updates

5. Use UInstaller to apply PCI_EFI9 for HDD boot, Kexts (from the zip file mentioned above), 9600GT EFI string

6. Reboot from hard disk

Everything works(video with full hw acceleration, sleep+ resume, network etc)

I used the Gigabyte 9600GT card (GV-NX96T512H) and it works with just the EFI strings.

I have learned a lot and thanks everyone for sharing.

:(

and one of here using the Final cut studio or Adobe cs4 in this board? or logic pro 8? because i try FCS for yesterday was keep hang out.. anyone ??

I'm able to run Final Cut Express 4.0 with no problems. RLembke mentions in post #86 about some issues he had with importing AVCHD stuff and he was able to resolve it with SMBIOSresolver.kext (which btw I use to fix UUID issues I was having).

You may want to try this kext and see if it get Final Cut Pro going for you. Since FCE and FCP use the same engine and mine (FCE) is working and I use that kext it may solve things.

3D artist ... I'm trying :-)

(probably one of the few using a hackintosh though :-D)

I did manage to get one tiny project on a French commercial for PYREX (cookware stuff) last year

you can find some of my old and pretty much first 3D renderings (2007) on deviantart:http://eliaden.deviantart.com/gallery/

as soon as I have a little more time I'll built myself a nice website with my portfolio on it (I have one but it has also never been updated since 2007, time went so fast...)

ic.. nice to know u ... and agree time went fast.. :D

I'm able to run Final Cut Express 4.0 with no problems. RLembke mentions in post #86 about some issues he had with importing AVCHD stuff and he was able to resolve it with SMBIOSresolver.kext (which btw I use to fix UUID issues I was having).

You may want to try this kext and see if it get Final Cut Pro going for you. Since FCE and FCP use the same engine and mine (FCE) is working and I use that kext it may solve things.

thanks for replying i was already found out solve the FCP problem already... in another topic... just remove the enthenet things and restart will fix the detection anyway thanks yoh... i haven try the firewire yet .... maybe will come back to u later :D thanks :lol:

Ok, I have a new problem with this mobo.

It was all working great, both shutdown and sleep was working just like my real Mac. For few days, every time I shutdown the system, I get the kext panic error where the computer has to power off. I didn't add anything, didn't install any kext or software except Temperature Monitor, that I assume it wouldn't cause any problem. the OpenHaltRestart.kext is already installed in my Extensions folder through OSX86Tools. Any thoughts on this issue?

Ok, I have a new problem with this mobo.

It was all working great, both shutdown and sleep was working just like my real Mac. For few days, every time I shutdown the system, I get the kext panic error where the computer has to power off. I didn't add anything, didn't install any kext or software except Temperature Monitor, that I assume it wouldn't cause any problem. the OpenHaltRestart.kext is already installed in my Extensions folder through OSX86Tools. Any thoughts on this issue?

I'm having strange problems too...

black screen at restart, random desktop not loading (black screen no mouse), even though the apple logo loaded

Once the machine is running it works perfectly... so its very strange

I need to inspect everything and maybe reinstall OSX to have an easier time troubleshooting.

This all started since my new 8GB of Ram, but the computer itself seems to recognize the ram without any trouble, so clearly an OSX issue.

I had a web server on the machine so I didn't reboot very often, and therefore didn't see any problem so I don't know if it's the ram of if it was before then...

now that I moved the webserver on a second machine I see a lot more problems reboot/power up problem.

I installed Hardware monitor, few days ago, but I had these issue before that, so I don't think it's related

EDIT:

I decided to reinstall OSX from scratch

No boot or shutdown problem that I was having since my 8GB of new ram

I realized that the new Chameleon 2.0 RC1 was out, even though it's RC1 I decided to give it shot: works great !

no need to modify the original com.apple.Boot.plist

a copy in the Extra folder will take over

and the "about this mac" and "System profiler" can be easily modified with a text document also located in the Extra folder (Computer model like "Mac Pro", ram speed, cpu speed, serial number, etc...)

and the boot logo can be modified ...

Anyway all I cared about is that my system works well

and "Temperature Monitor" works well ...

however I might have a sleep issue (sleeps and wakes up instantly)

edit: the sleep issue was solved by simply installing OpenHalRestart.kext in the S/L/E, instead of the Extra folder

BUT usb storage devices (HD and flash) are still disconnected & reconnected after wakeup

I'm having strange problems too...

black screen at restart, random desktop not loading (black screen no mouse), even though the apple logo loaded

Once the machine is running it works perfectly... so its very strange

I need to inspect everything and maybe reinstall OSX to have an easier time troubleshooting.

This all started since my new 8GB of Ram, but the computer itself seems to recognize the ram without any trouble, so clearly an OSX issue.

I had a web server on the machine so I didn't reboot very often, and therefore didn't see any problem so I don't know if it's the ram of if it was before then...

now that I moved the webserver on a second machine I see a lot more problems reboot/power up problem.

I installed Hardware monitor, few days ago, but I had these issue before that, so I don't think it's related

EDIT:

I realized that the new Chameleon 2.0 RC1 was out, even though it's RC1 I decided to give it shot: works great !

and the "about this mac" and "System profiler" can be easily modified with a text document also located in the Extra folder (Computer model like "Mac Pro", ram speed, cpu speed, serial number, etc...)

edit: the sleep issue was solved by simply installing OpenHalRestart.kext in the S/L/E, instead of the Extra folder

BUT usb storage devices (HD and flash) are still disconnected & reconnected after wakeup

What does Chameleon do? I never tried that before. I just installed kalyway, and then I installed retail version through it using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86167

As I said, everything was working perfectly. This shutdown issue and the kernel panic is new, and I have no idea what is causing that :(

What does Chameleon do? I never tried that before. I just installed kalyway, and then I installed retail version through it using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86167

As I said, everything was working perfectly. This shutdown issue and the kernel panic is new, and I have no idea what is causing that :(

I installed Retail using boot-132

chameleon is a boot loader that I found easy to work with

and version 2 of chameleon has many little new features, for example an easy way to dual boot (which I don't care since I'm now OSX only, and for little Windows needs I use VMware Fusion )

during boot you need to try to get the prompt to input the boot option

if you press F8 multiple times like crazy before the apple gray logo you may be able to access it

anyway figure out a way to get the boot prompt

then in the boot prompt type in:

DEBUG=0x100

and press enter to boot

during a panic you'll get more info than usual

it will show you the files related to the kernel panic

and you may be able to figure it out yourself

or post the text here and maybe I or someone can help you

Eliade-

First, thanks for trying out chameleon 2 and providing us with some insight. I do have a couple of specific questions that maybe if you have the time you can answer.

Number 1, did you do the munky method? And if so, is your Extra folder in the EFI partition or the regular spot (i.e., root)?

Also, you mention no need to modify com.apple.Boot.plist "...a copy in the Extra folder will take over...", does that mean you have two of them? The original vanilla (in /Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration) and a modified one that is located in Extra folder?

And lastly, so with the ability to edit the System Profiler stuff, does that mean you did not load SMBIOSEnabler and/or SMBIOSResolver?

Eliade-

First, thanks for trying out chameleon 2 and providing us with some insight. I do have a couple of specific questions that maybe if you have the time you can answer.

Number 1, did you do the munky method? And if so, is your Extra folder in the EFI partition or the regular spot (i.e., root)?

Also, you mention no need to modify com.apple.Boot.plist "...a copy in the Extra folder will take over...", does that mean you have two of them? The original vanilla (in /Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration) and a modified one that is located in Extra folder?

And lastly, so with the ability to edit the System Profiler stuff, does that mean you did not load SMBIOSEnabler and/or SMBIOSResolver?

no I did not do munky's method, I just installed chameleon on the "Macintosh HD" partition

so my extra folder is at the root of the OSX system HD

BUT I'm sure you can install it on an "EFI partition" to have an almost 100% vanila system (you still need some kext in the S/L/E to have a "fully" working system)

but the EFI partition is too much trouble for nothing in my opinion

as for com.apple.Boot.plist that's right

the original one stays unmodified

and the copy is in the extra folder, modified with boot option / EFI string for video card / EFI string for time machine fix

I have neither SMBIOSEnabler and/or SMBIOSResolver installed

I never saw any difference with those installed even before chameleon 2, did you?

just the SMBios.plist with custom text in the extra folder

I still coudn't figure out how to change the "unknown CPU", but the displayed speed can be changed if needed, mine is recognized well by default overclocked or not, even with modified multilier (Q6600 @ 2.4, and now overclocked at 3.0Ghz with minimal temperature inscrease 63°C at max or 59°C with the "front door" of the case open; it's just amazing how the board handles the overclock so well, voltage still at default 3.25v (instead of auto which was 3.25v), I use to have a P5N-E SLI with that same cpu and could barely overclock it, so now it's stable with mPrime for mac for over 12h, that's like having 5 Core at 2.4 or if you prefer a x1.25 increase, in other words instead of 5 days of 3D rendering an animation, it will take only 4 days, that's not negligable)

no I did not do munky's method, I just installed chameleon on the "Macintosh HD" partition

so my extra folder is at the root of the OSX system HD

BUT I'm sure you can installed it on an "EFI partition" to have an almost 100% vanila system (you still need some kext in the S/L/E to have a "fully" working system)

but the EFI partition is to much trouble for nothing in my opinion

That's sort of where I am. I'm trying to see what, if anything, there is to be gained by doing the munky thing, but like you it really seems like it's a major exercise.

I have neither SMBIOSEnabler and/or SMBIOSResolver installed

I never saw any difference with those installed even before chameleon 2, did you?

I used both and they helped me get rid of all the UUID error 35 messages. Not to mention the resolver helped to get me a "fake" serial number, and a few other minor things in System Profiler, but I think the Cham2 will be a much better way to go to fix those things.

just the SMBios.plist with custom text in the extra folder

I still coudn't figure out how to change the "unknown CPU", but the displayed speed can be changed if needed, mine is recognized well by default overclocked or not, even with modified multilier (Q6600 @ 2.4, and now overclocked at 3.0Ghz with minimal temperature inscrease 63°C at max or 59°C with the "front door" of the case open; it's just amazing how the board handles the overclock so well, voltage still at default 3.25v (instead of auto which was 3.25v), I use to have a P5N-E SLI with that same cpu and could barely overclock it, so now it's stable with mPrime for mac for over 12h, that's like having 5 Core at 2.4 or if you prefer a x1.25 increase, in other words instead of 5 days of 3D rendering an animation, it will take only 4 days, that's not negligable)

Yep, for the CPU I just used OSx86 Tools to change it by using the Modify About This Mac and setting it to auto select CPU, it recognized my Q6600 without me manually entering anything (haven't overclocked yet), and I think that may have been because of the SMBIOSresolver/enabler but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm so happy with the Hackintosh that I'm building another. I use an old Mac Mini as a mini (pardon the pun) server for iTunes which in turn dishes out to a couple of Apple TVs where I've ripped my DVD collection to. So I was thinking about trying out the Munky method on the new one and see how it goes, but it just seems like adding a bit more complexity to my "simple" install of:

grub-dfe

install retail Leopard

update to 10.5.6

add Chameleon and your kext package via UInstaller

done

But I will at the very least go with Chameleon2 even with it being beta just to give it a shot, since everything I've read so far says it's great.

Like most, just trying to get an easy to install, as close to pure vanilla as possible to make future updates via Apple a slam dunk. Well, that's my dream at least. :)

That's sort of where I am. I'm trying to see what, if anything, there is to be gained by doing the munky thing, but like you it really seems like it's a major exercise.

yeah I don't think it's worth it...

simple chameleon install and it's ready to go

I used both and they helped me get rid of all the UUID error 35 messages. Not to mention the resolver helped to get me a "fake" serial number, and a few other minor things in System Profiler, but I think the Cham2 will be a much better way to go to fix those things.

Oh yeah I forgot about that error

I opened the console and saw it many time (while booting using my boot 132)

but UUID error 35 stopped after having chameleon 2 installed :-)

By the way Chameleon 2 comes with 3 kext, I left those, I'm sure there a good reason why those are part of the default install...

grub-dfe

install retail Leopard

update to 10.5.6

add Chameleon and your kext package via UInstaller

done

yeah that's it !

But I will at the very least go with Chameleon2 even with it being beta just to give it a shot, since everything I've read so far says it's great.

RC1 (release candidate) is not beta :-), it's much better, it at a step where the programmer thinks it fully working and ready for release. it's more like a precaution to have a good final release. Most RC1 people will find some bugs, but so far so good on my machine.

if the programmer is really good the RC1 might just be renamed into "Final Release"...

I've done a clean install using iPC 10.5.6. There are so many kexts in this thread that I'm a bit wary of what I need.

Can anyone give a comprehensive of which ones are necessary, and what they are used for?

Many thanks

this is what I now use (same as my previous pack, just few kext are removed)

along with chameleon 2

GA_EP4_UD3R_april09.zip

edit: best used on retail install along with chameleon 2

and keep the chameleon 2 default kext (3 of them), unless stated otherwise later, so far they do more good than harm

MINIMUM to boot:

dsmos -> a must have for a hackintosh

IntelCPUPMDisabler -> a must have for a hackintosh

May be needed:

SMBIOSResolver.kext -> use only to fix UUID error 35 if you get this error (check the Console), if you don't have the error I would not install it, chameleon 2 fixes that error, so I don't have it insalled, and I did not include it in this pack

Very nice to have:

JMicronATA (*)-> only if you use IDE device, don't install if you don't have IDE device (this one is special I modified it myself, to work with 4GB of ram and more, has been working great on our board for few months now)

RealtekR1000 (*) -> ethernet (you may need to setup a static ip)

AppleHDA (*)->sound (don't forget to change the input in the System preference)

HDAEnabler ->sound

ALCinject -> sound

OpenHaltRestart -> working sleep/reboot/shutdown (carefull don't sleep the machine before ejecting USB HD and usb flash drive), keyboard and mouse will wake up the mahine, so if you sleep the machine and barely move the mouse it will wake up right away...

system will work perfectly well without those, mostly an esthetic fix:

edit: for a more vanilla system and less trouble I'd recommend not to install those (I'll remove them from the pack right away)

IOATAFamily (*)-> ICH10 (fix HD icon and text in system profiler)

AppleAHCIPort (*)--> ICH10 (fix HD icon and text in system profiler)

IOAHCIFamily (*)--> ICH10 (fix HD icon and text in system profiler)

when they have a (*), you must install them in the S/L/E folder

others may be in the Extra/Extensions/

For Video driver, just use an EFI string

and EFI string for timemachine fix

chameleon 2 includes 3 kext that I now use they do more good than harm

one of them fixes the HD icon

this is what I now use (same as my previous pack, just few kext are removed)

along with chameleon 2

MINIMUM to boot:

dsmos -> a must have for a hackintosh

IntelCPUPMDisabler -> a must have for a hackintosh

May be needed:

SMBIOSResolver.kext -> use only to fix UUID error 35 if you get this error (check the Console), if you don't have the error I would not install it, chameleon 2 fixes that error, so I don't have it insalled, and I did not include it in this pack

Very nice to have:

JMicronATA (*)-> only if you use IDE device, don't install if you don't have IDE device (this one is special I modified it myself, to work with 4GB of ram and more, has been working great on our board for few months now)

RealtekR1000 (*) -> ethernet (you may need to setup a static ip)

AppleHDA (*)->sound (don't forget to change the input in the System preference)

HDAEnabler ->sound

ALCinject -> sound

OpenHaltRestart -> working sleep/reboot/shutdown (carefull don't sleep the machine before ejecting USB HD and usb flash drive), keyboard and mouse will wake up the mahine, so if you sleep the machine and barely move the mouse it will wake up right away...

system will work perfectly well without those, mostly an esthetic fix:

IOATAFamily (*)-> ICH10

AppleAHCIPort (*)--> ICH10

IOAHCIFamily (*)--> ICH10

when they have a (*), you must install them in the S/L/E folder

others may be in the Extra/Extensions/

chameleon 2 includes 3 kext that I now use they do more good than harm

one of them fixes the HD icon

Thanks for the reply. One question: how do install them in the folders you specified? I've previously used Kext Helper B7. Will this do it?

hii,,, :P before sorry my bad english :D

i wanna try ga ep45ud3r dualboot with vista,but i cant set hd to ide on mac with my board,its still root wait device, and now i use ipc 10.5.6 in my system (single boot) kernel default 9.6.0, smbios efi. any one can tell me?help me choose osx installer? thanks... :P

my rig :

intel e5200, ga ep45ud3r v 1,1 bios f4, 88gt albatron, 8gb adata