GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

And I f0a77476bb25a1dd1661e22817920b96_preview.png

With the release of Ubuntu 10.04 yesterday, I am going back to Linux for now. More stuff working with Ubuntu out of the box (mainly graphics). Good luck to all. I'll keep checking back to see if there are any break-throughs.

post-430661-1272664159_thumb.png

My display now works with patched X3100 kexts too, but the problem is that my only LCD monitor is detected as Secondary display, so i have two virtual displays working and some video lags ((

However video is detected as GMA X3100 and everything works except acceleration.

Does anybody know how to fix this pseudo-dual display lag? i have only one display!

but the problem is u can't compare Ubuntu 10.04 to Snow leopard :(

Yes it's right that Mac OS X & Ubuntu are different from each other but the last release of Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS) rocks out of the box. The previous release (Karmic Koala 9.10) was a great disappointment for all.

If someone has x4500 & has nothing to do special to Mac OS X (Logic, Final Cut or etc.), I highly recommend Lucid to everyone until full QE/CI support is provided by a bunch of heroes. Here's my example (Global Menu+Cairo-Dock+Hex edited Compiz Fusion for famous window minimizing effect on Mac OS X), looks beatiful on my Msi x340 :P

http://www.itusozluk.com/img.php/370fba206.../the+lucid+lynx

Yes it's right that Mac OS X & Ubuntu are different from each other but the last release of Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS) rocks out of the box. The previous release (Karmic Koala 9.10) was a great disappointment for all.

If someone has x4500 & has nothing to do special to Mac OS X (Logic, Final Cut or etc.), I highly recommend Lucid to everyone until full QE/CI support is provided by a bunch of heroes. Here's my example (Global Menu+Cairo-Dock+Hex edited Compiz Fusion for famous window minimizing effect on Mac OS X), looks beatiful on my Msi x340 :P

U r right ,, at least it's MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than going back to WINDOWS ...

but does the GMA X4500 work without a problem ? sorry for asking bcuz i've never used

Ubuntu 10.04 or any system other than windows before ...

but Ubuntu 10.04 looks really great and cool :thumbsup_anim:

Let`s stop with the OFF TOPIC theme. Ubuntu Linux is very good OS, but for the Windows users may can be a litte confusing at the begining. THE ONLY ONE reason for me to still using Windows is the games and design products I`m using (like Photoshop, CorelDRAW and CINEMA 4D). So if you have a free HDD space and need a i-net, multimedia and office system, the Ubunti Linux is good choise.

My display now works with patched X3100 kexts too, but the problem is that my only LCD monitor is detected as Secondary display, so i have two virtual displays working and some video lags ((

However video is detected as GMA X3100 and everything works except acceleration.

Does anybody know how to fix this pseudo-dual display lag? i have only one display!

Does anyone know the solution?

If someone has x4500 & has nothing to do special to Mac OS X (Logic, Final Cut or etc.), I highly recommend Lucid to everyone until full QE/CI support is provided by a bunch of heroes. Here's my example (Global Menu+Cairo-Dock+Hex edited Compiz Fusion for famous window minimizing effect on Mac OS X), looks beatiful on my Msi x340 :thumbsup_anim:

hexedited compiz???   lol...

you can edit animation.c before compile compiz to get genius effect, just adjust maxwave variable.

BTW gma4500 works REALLY WELL on linux distros OOB!

yeah, really X3100 FB kext doesnt any good, but i noticed that X4500 performs really fast on 2D stuff with AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kext!

But we still don't have CI/QE. May be its possible to combine it somehow with GMAX3100 or HDGraphics kexts and make them work together both to get nice 2D and CI/QE ?

What do you thinks about it, guys?

There is a problem with the Macbook pros switching into the nvidia card isn't it?. What about making the system recognize the x4500 not as one of the newer intel hd, but as a x3100, but using the driver from the intel hd? Well it's just a guess...

yeah, really X3100 FB kext doesnt any good, but i noticed that X4500 performs really fast on 2D stuff with AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kext!

But we still don't have CI/QE. May be its possible to combine it somehow with GMAX3100 or HDGraphics kexts and make them work together both to get nice 2D and CI/QE ?

What do you thinks about it, guys?

can you explain how u get appleintelintegratedframebuffer to work for 4500hdm? U hexedited the kext? So it loaded and show as what graphics card?

Maybe the 10.6.4 is our hope? Source

where did they come from? are they the ones straight out of the macbook update?

On a side note, apparently there is a settings in system preferences on the new macbooks that you can disable switching to the nvidia cards, I am on the hunt for where it is, i will post back if i find it, but if someone else does first, let us know. This could be the missing part, maybe... I read it here

Apple's approach in the new 15" and 17" MacBook Pros differs from Optimus in two key ways. The first is that the switching is all handled automatically by Mac OS X without any user intervention (though there is actually a System Preference to deactivate it, if you choose).

EDIT: Ignore that, apparently if you disable it, it goes directly to the GPU, so unless we can change a file to direct it to the intel hd, its useless right now. I am reading that a lot of people are having issues with this automatic switching, so should be interesting to see if apple comes out with a fix to enable the end use to be able to direct it to a certain gpu, for instance, when on battery, only use the intel one.

can you explain how u get appleintelintegratedframebuffer to work for 4500hdm? U hexedited the kext? So it loaded and show as what graphics card?

It loads by default if your chip is neither GMA950 nor X3100 but another Intel one.

I didn't touch anything, just deleted my modified X3100 kexts and put AIIFB kext back to S/L/E.

It's really fast when it comes to effects, fast window dragging, rolling scrollbars and so on.. i don't know whether it's Apple's approach to make such reactive GUI or not...

also, never believe in rumours!

It loads by default if your chip is neither GMA950 nor X3100 but another Intel one.

I didn't touch anything, just deleted my modified X3100 kexts and put AIIFB kext back to S/L/E.

It's really fast when it comes to effects, fast window dragging, rolling scrollbars and so on.. i don't know whether it's Apple's approach to make such reactive GUI or not...

also, never believe in rumours!

hi, can u explain step by step what u did for 2d acceleration on your x4500? all i need - to work with textmate, listen music, watch video and surf :-)

firstly check if there's unmodified AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext in /System/Library/Extensions folder. Delete all video kexts that you modified or just restore original ones.

Don't forget to boot with "-f -v" boot flag to load all uncached kexts and put "Graphics Mode"="XxYx32@60Hz" to get your display resolution or use bootloader native resolution metod if it won't work for you.

Note: this will NOT enable CI or QE for your GMA4500.

and this is NOT 2d acceleration of course! its just use of framebuffer, and its enough for web/text/music and system working, you can of course activate Quartz GL but this WILL NOT give you ability to launch such apps as iWork, iMovie, iPhoto and others that require CoreImage/Quartz Extreme (ex. Grab and Preview not for pdf).

However system and interface is still fast and responsive, also in 64-bit mode, you can also play with iDVD or GarageBand, also don't forget about MS Office for mac or OpenOffice.

Have a nice day,

X-user

does it work bro? i am currently unable to update to 10.6.3.. still figuring it out..

Edit : i just thinking maybe they will add the function Use only Intel HD on battery. and use only NVDia on AC/ it can be configured in system preferences.

Thanks.

it will be good for our community if someone who already owns a MBP with GMA HD would say us if there's CI/QE with it or not in order to reveal some rumours

No one knows for sure… it seems that Apple deployed some un-finished Intel HD drivers (on the 10.6.3)

There’s a topic on the MacRumors forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901521)  where the new MBP owners are trying to find out how the auto-switching GPU works. In the new power-manager setting you can choose between “always Nvidia” and “auto-switching” (but there’s still no way to pick sth like “always Intel HD”). However it is said that Apple will be addressing the GPU switching issue on 10.6.4 update.

Today Apple seeded the first build of OS X 10.6.4, build 10F37.

According to reports, the current build focuses on Graphics Drivers, SMB, Time Machine backups, USB, and VoiceOver. The build does not include any further updates or enhancements.

Most users agreed that Intel HD will be capable to handle QE/CI but they still don’t know that for sure.

I think (just a guess) that if we figure how does the switching videocards works, we will finally get QE/CI. From what I understood, Some guys earlier succeeded into getting the device id's recognized, the problem was with the switching. 10.6.4 could be then our hope?

I am guessing soon as this switching gpu's is figured out we will be golden. I have an intel i3 330m with intel hd graphics that ID's are already in the plist files for the gfx drivers from apple but it still hangs on bootup whenever i have the intelframebuffer in S/L/E directory. Soon as its deleted, system boots up fine but no kexts are loaded for the card. Hopefully 10.6.4 will address this. Maybe i'll grab a copy soon as I get my laptop back up and running with a dual boot setup.

I've been using Ubuntu, but theres many things I can't do that you can on mac, such as playing my DRM'ed iTunes Store purchased music in a practical way. So I have reinstalled non-QE/CI Snow Leopard. Hopefully we can get this nightmare GMA 4500 working sometime in the near future. :thumbsup_anim:

I've been using Ubuntu, but theres many things I can't do that you can on mac, such as playing my DRM'ed iTunes Store purchased music in a practical way. So I have reinstalled non-QE/CI Snow Leopard. Hopefully we can get this nightmare GMA 4500 working sometime in the near future. :D

u r really right ,, i've been trying ubuntu 10.04 for a while and it's really a hard job to get some apps to download ,,

the only good thing is the design and low resources that it uses ... BTW , i haven't bought a new laptop till

i'm sure which graphics card i should get with it ... so my question is the QE/CI have really big diffrence

in just browsing internet and office some movie watching i mean that's it movies with some office work ,,, so do

i really need the QE/CI support for that ???

sorry if this question is got repeated many times ... bcuz i'm so fed up with windows and ubuntu ...

and need at least some descent os...

thanks in advance ,,, GL