[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Hi guys iam really looking into this but i have a favour to ask,..

since my PC is not core duo, and its based on chipsets: p31 and ich7

by the way i dont have AHCI on the BIOS but have sata in the Motherboard

i would like to know which kexts are necessary to put on the boot efi disk (not the drivers for vga, sound,.. etc)

i mean the kexts that would keep the system bootable till 10.5.5 update

i would like to prepeare them and try to find them before i proceed with this

so any help would be very appreciated.

Look further down in this sub-forum. There is a thread with pre-boot resources and a list of existing iso files for various main boards. Yours or one like yours may be there.

no, i didn't find anything cause my mainboard is gegabyte P31-DS3L

i just want to know whats the vital extensions to use on the efi partitions,

so i can be able to do system update from apple, cause i've read that some kexts are vital for 10.5.5 that were not needed before.. etc

sorry to bother you that way bladerunner, but iam actually quite obssesive with those stuff

ok, one other thing:

can i install the retail dvd from a working partition like stated on those other tutorials instead of using boot123 method, and get that install working with this munky boot from efi method ?

@ BladeRunner

Thanks for the quick response, and yes, that guide was helpful. I believe the vanilla IO80211.kext was a newer version so it was defaulting to that. I just had to re-add <string>pci14e4,4315</string>to info.plist inside the vanilla AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext (which was inside the plugin folder of the IO80211.kext for anyone who is looking for it) which i didn't really want to do. but it worked so...

Next to fix system profiler, battery indicator, and sleep. will post back with results if any

p.s. sucessfully updated to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4 retail install with this method.

EDIT: upon reboot airport was no longer available. forgot to edit the info.plist to say

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Network-Root</string>

it was originally

<string>Network-Root</string>

and that was in both plist files in the root of IO80211family.kext, and in IO80211family.kext/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311

I installed the modded kexts into EFI partiton, it didn't work until i updated from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5

EDIT #2: updated safari, itunes, quicktime, remote desktop and a few other and it killed the kext again. one of them added <key>TruePowerOff</key> to the IOPCIDevice string info.plist in AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. had to change this to <key>TruPowerOn</key> and it worked again. (this was to the kext not on the EFI Partition)

For anyone who cares...

Specs: (as in sig)

HP dv6835nr Laptop

core2duo T550 1.83

intel GMAX3100

3Gigs 667Mhz ram

250Gb WD HD

Broadcom 4315 wifi

Realtek HD Audio - VEN_10EC DEV_0268

@ Pink Waters

Yes, you can install from another working disk. I did that and it worked. I don't think you can install with this method on the same disk as you have the working partition, considering that the best way to make it work is to erase and format the entire disk... As for the kexts, I guess the best way to find the right ones is to build a boot-132 cd or to try some that are allready made by others and see what makes your installation work. Then install those kexts with munky's method and after that you can play with them as you like, especialy if you have another working disk.

@ Pink Waters

Yes, you can install from another working disk. I did that and it worked. I don't think you can install with this method on the same disk as you have the working partition, considering that the best way to make it work is to erase and format the entire disk... As for the kexts, I guess the best way to find the right ones is to build a boot-132 cd or to try some that are allready made by others and see what makes your installation work. Then install those kexts with munky's method and after that you can play with them as you like, especialy if you have another working disk.

thanks man, i appreciate that

Hi guys!

I'm trying to install leo on the eee box using the boot 132 method, but it's not going so well...

I've tried 3 different boot-cd:s and made a couple of more using slimbuild and combining different kexts, but no succes...

It's an Atom computer, pretty much standard and almost identical to the Asus 1000h.

Is there an already made boot132 cd for it? I've searched the forum (using google) and read a lot of info, but everything I've tried doesn't work.

It boots the dfe132 disc just fine, the I start loading from the retail disc and it stops at "MAC Framework successfully initialized".

I've managed to install leo using this method on the dell mini 9, so I know it works and it is the method I want to use for the eee box.

Thanks for you time and please help me! I'm going nuts over this! I've been at it for almost two weeks now!

yes there is :D

im about to upload a 'stopgap' version which supports DSDT override. moving forwards, everyone should use the new chameleon when it comes out, but i dont want people using this booter to be stuck if 10.5.6 hits tomorrow.

one thing, integrating the DSDT patch breaches the 64k limit for boot2, so ive removed the apple boot logo from this booter to create some space. new chameleon solves this much better (patched boot1 for i think up to 256k boot2), but as i said this is just a stopgap.

go team chameleon! ;)

EDIT: v6 now available. please test and feedback. needs a DSDT.aml file in root of EFI partition.

Hi,

Download and already testing....

Thx munky !

EDIT: Yes!! boot fine, my DSDT file is load and have full VANILLA Leo install ;)

In EFI/Extensions folder only need:

AppleDecrypter.kext

AppleHDA.kext (patched for XBX2)

Now only need made GFX string for my 8800

Nice job munky :D !

Hi,

I'am noted some pelople put dsdt.aml but in my install for boot up correct i need DSDT.aml (CAPS!!!)...

in my install i only replace .BIN file in root/EFI (boot), my only problem is w my GXF card, no QE/CI, but will make new GFX string

Well, after much funkin' around for the past week I've managed to get this all working nicely on my MSI P965 Neo-F mobo, with ALC883 Audio and ATI X1300 graphics.

Awesome work by Munky and the rest of the community in getting this to work. It's great having a vanilla, easily upgradable install.

The one thing I have outstanding is setting an auto-timeout on the bootloader, so that I don't have to hit return to boot. I'm sure it's a piece of cake but I just don't know which dir to look in for the settings, and googling brings up nothing useful. Can anyone help?

While I'm posting, I thought I'd provide the contents of my /Volumes/EFI/Extensions dir so that others googling around trying to work out how to get their MSI P965 working don't have to go through the pain :(...

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 SMBIOSEnabler.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

drw-r--r-- 5 root wheel 170 30 Nov 10:50 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 ApplePS2Controller.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 dsmos.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 AppleGenericPCATA.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 AppleAPIC.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 AppleAHCIPort.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 AppleACPIPlatform.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 10:50 ACPIPS2Nub.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 14:11 OpenHaltRestart.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 14:14 ATIRadeonX1000.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 14:28 IOAHCIFamily.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 15:40 JMicronATA.kext

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 15:40 IOATAFamily.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 17:43 LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 17:43 LegacyHDAController.kext

drw-r--r-- 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 17:43 HDAEnabler.kext

drwxr-xr-x 8 root admin 340 30 Nov 18:23 ..

drw-r--r--@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Nov 18:38 SMBIOSResolver.kext

drw-r--r--@ 22 root wheel 748 30 Nov 18:38 .

The Audio kexts for the ALC883 come from Stickpin's thread using the ALC883 Address 2 bundle.

A few things don't report correctly in System Profiler, and "About This Mac" causes a Finder reset, but the only real niggle (apart from sorting the boot timeout) is some issues with the graphics support. I get strange artifacts where the cursor's been when scrolling through documents and clicking/dragging. But it's still usable so I'm happy. :angel:

Hi all.

munky I confirmed, it system to go up without problems the DSDT.aml archive has that to be in the ROOT of the HD where the installed Leo this, if the same will be in partition /EFI does not advance, it this not loading for there.

now back to configure mine GFX

Well, after much funkin' around for the past week I've managed to get this all working nicely on my MSI P965 Neo-F mobo, with ALC883 Audio and ATI X1300 graphics.

Awesome work by Munky and the rest of the community in getting this to work. It's great having a vanilla, easily upgradable install.

The one thing I have outstanding is setting an auto-timeout on the bootloader, so that I don't have to hit return to boot. I'm sure it's a piece of cake but I just don't know which dir to look in for the settings, and googling brings up nothing useful. Can anyone help?

While I'm posting, I thought I'd provide the contents of my /Volumes/EFI/Extensions dir so that others googling around trying to work out how to get their MSI P965 working don't have to go through the pain :(...

The Audio kexts for the ALC883 come from Stickpin's thread using the ALC883 Address 2 bundle.

A few things don't report correctly in System Profiler, and "About This Mac" causes a Finder reset, but the only real niggle (apart from sorting the boot timeout) is some issues with the graphics support. I get strange artifacts where the cursor's been when scrolling through documents and clicking/dragging. But it's still usable so I'm happy. :angel:

To set a timeout that does not require you to press enter to boot, modify your com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Volumes/EFI partition.

Add the following:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

Set whatever time value you want.

@Munky,

I am a bit confused. I am not sure I got this new version installed correctly. All I did was to replace the /Volumes/EFI/boot file with your new one. Then I placed the dsdt.aml file in the root of the EFI partition.

The system boots correctly, but dmesg shows no identifiable messages that would let me know there is anything different. Not to be discouraged, I renamed dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml and tried again. Same result. So, I placed DSDT.aml in the root of the OS X partition. Still, same result. No output during boot that shows anything is different.

In a way, that is a good thing, the system still runs just fine.

@Munky,

I am a bit confused. I am not sure I got this new version installed correctly. All I did was to replace the /Volumes/EFI/boot file with your new one. Then I placed the dsdt.aml file in the root of the EFI partition.

The system boots correctly, but dmesg shows no identifiable messages that would let me know there is anything different. Not to be discouraged, I renamed dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml and tried again. Same result. So, I placed DSDT.aml in the root of the OS X partition. Still, same result. No output during boot that shows anything is different.

In a way, that is a good thing, the system still runs just fine.

HI,

Yes, here i use 10.5.5 vanila install and if not have DSDT file system dont BOOT up, but only works in Root od Leo's HD i dont know way!

lol ok looks like i ("Messed" - Ed) up. v6 is looking in the root of the install partition, not the EFI partition.

ahem... v6.1 coming soon :)

JaS - yeah i could integrate that SMBIOS patch too, but i prefer to wait for chameleon...

I really don't understand what's going on with this loader release. I have tried both v6 & v6.1 replacing boot0, boot1h and /Volumes/EFI/boot.

I have booted the system with no DSDT.aml file anyplace and with DSDT.aml in /Volumes/EFI or "/". The problem is, I see no difference in the boot process or in the resulting dmesg output with any of the various tests.

I would appreciate any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong or what to try next.

i'll be honest - ive never touched DSDT stuff on my hacky... i just ported mackerintel's diff from chameleon into the source i had. seems to work for some....?

v6 looked for DSDT.aml in the wrong place - ie the root of the actual installation partition. v6.1 now corrects that and will load it from the root of the EFI partition.

i'll be honest - ive never touched DSDT stuff on my hacky... i just ported mackerintel's diff from chameleon into the source i had. seems to work for some....?

v6 looked for DSDT.aml in the wrong place - ie the root of the actual installation partition. v6.1 now corrects that and will load it from the root of the EFI partition.

Munky,

If you do another release, would it be reasonable to put some type of version message in the message stream where dmesg would see it? If we could see what loader version was in control and whether it had found the DSDT.aml file it would be helpful.

Hi all,

BladeRunner the easy test for look if DSDT.aml is load, install AppleIntelCPUPowermana...Kext in /s/l/e, if your system boot up DSDt is correct an load

Well, thing is, it's already there and I run the Dsiabler.kext from the EFI partition. Still, a very good pointer. I edited the info.plist in the Disabler and disabled the AppleIntelCPU component. After updating the mkext, the system would not boot.

So, I guess that proves it. For some reason, the DSDT.aml is not working for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi all,

BladeRunner the easy test for look if DSDT.aml is load, install AppleIntelCPUPowermana...Kext in /s/l/e, if your system boot up DSDt is correct an load

Hi, I am totally now about these DSDT stuffs. Can u please answer some questions ?

The only thing I understand is there is some changes in the 10.5.6 update will break my installation and my hack will now work anymore. But

- How can I find the correct DSDT.aml file to place to / directory ?

- Do I need to use a modded AppleACPIPlatform.kext to fix the restart after use the new DSDT stuff ? I am using a modded AppleACPIPlatform.kext in the EFI partition.

- Will the new update affect the sleep or shutdown function of my hack ?

- I will not need to use IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext after updating right ?