[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

this is by far the fastest install I have ever run, I recently upgraded my main desktop's board and CPU, and thought that since I had been having issues I would do a fresh install,

with the new install, the only extension I need is AppleHDA, and the AppleDecrypt. I must thank you munky, and Everyone in the groups who have been working on this project, playing with/tweaking my system has been my insanity point for a while, if 1 thing goes wrong I end up going back to my old notes and trying to decide, what to try next, no more!!

<edit>

also needed a EFI string for Nvidia card, the NVkush didn't work

</edit>

I only ask, does this method support DSDT files in the EFI partition? I have heard that with the 10.5.6 patch, and Snow Leo that we will need to be able to Fix the DSDT instead of just killing a Kext or 2.

I would rather be prepped sooner then have the whole thing Explode the next system patch.

Great work guys, I'll help where I can.

HBP

Hi, can anybody help my with boot problem from an GUID USB-HD ?

I am a bit confused of using fdisk to set the GUID Partition active, where ready to boot (all needed .kext there, no DFE Mode).

I know fdisk very well but have ??? trying GUID Table on my USB-HD.

i partitioned my USB-HD (10 GB) with GUID , 1 Partition HFS+ Extended FS

Then i installed OS XS 10.5.5 on it, but only the OS X with all needed .kext.

Disk Utility shows 2 Partitions, 1 the hidden (EFI) one Main with OS X on.

diskutil list

/dev/disk2

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *9.5 Gi disk2

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS USB_OSX 9.2 Gi disk2s2

I am experienced with MBR Booting (using fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX , f 123 , w, q)

but not with that GUID.

How can i get it bootable ?

I tried OSXTools, EFI/FDSIK and installed Chameleon on this USB-HD.

But how to set the partition aktive ?!

Fdisk (is made for mbr to my knowledge) only shows one big partition, complete different

to what diskutil shows.

fdisk: 1> p

Disk: /dev/rdisk2 geometry: 1245/255/63 [20005650 sectors]

Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 20005649] GPT

2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

The OS X Volume is OK and has all needed rights/owners

What commands must i use (dd ??? , fdisk, ... ?)

THANKS

Hello,

why doesn't the Systemprofiler detect my CPU?. I have a Intel Core Quad 6600.

I use on my Intel Bad Axe 2 only AppleSMBIOS.kext, SMBIOSResolver.kext, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext and dsmos.kext.

Anything else is fully working!

Thank you!!!

I don't know if this helps... but there is a firmware-update for that keyboard

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/alu...reupdate10.html

greetz

I have usb and Legacy USB both enabled - still no joy....like I said - i have another USB keyboard that works just fine in BIOS, it just that little hussy Slimline Alu Apple one that I want to work that wont!

Just wanted to add my experience with this method. First, I use a IDE DVD drive attached to my jmicron, so the boot 132 cd method doesn't work for me, so I did everything from a working ideneb install. I now am using the retail/boot132/efi partition install off my HD. I have since deleted the ideneb install and am very happy with my "new" "retail" mac! Other than having to "taint" the /s/l/e (which I made a backup of the vanilla kexts i was replacing), it is mostly a vanilla install. I am having an issue with my SMBIOS, no matter which one I place into /s/l/e, it doesn't modify the information in System Profiler. Anyone else having this issue?

Just wanted to add my experience with this method. First, I use a IDE DVD drive attached to my jmicron, so the boot 132 cd method doesn't work for me, so I did everything from a working ideneb install. I now am using the retail/boot132/efi partition install off my HD. I have since deleted the ideneb install and am very happy with my "new" "retail" mac! Other than having to "taint" the /s/l/e (which I made a backup of the vanilla kexts i was replacing), it is mostly a vanilla install. I am having an issue with my SMBIOS, no matter which one I place into /s/l/e, it doesn't modify the information in System Profiler. Anyone else having this issue?

After changing the S/L/E kext did you remember to boot with the "-f" kernel flag to force reloading of the kext?

Also, if you are using the eif partition to boot, why are you placing modified kext in S/L/E? Wouldn't you rather put them in the Extensions folder in the efi partition and then run the update.sh to update your efi System/Booter mkext.

After changing the S/L/E kext did you remember to boot with the "-f" kernel flag to force reloading of the kext?

Also, if you are using the eif partition to boot, why are you placing modified kext in S/L/E? Wouldn't you rather put them in the Extensions folder in the efi partition and then run the update.sh to update your efi System/Booter mkext.

anytime after changing kexts I use "-f -v" ;-)

The reason I am modifying s/l/e is because of audio and my ICH9R. With the kexts in efi/extensions -> update.sh, I have no audio and orange icons for my HDs. I fixed that with putting those kexts in s/l/e. But, my System Profiler issues remain. Any ideas? (I am using the MacPro SMBIOS from ideneb, which worked in ideneb btw, but notso with my vanilla install).

EDIT: And, I would love to keep my s/l/e pure, but after banging my head against the kbd for hours, I gave up and placed the audio and ich9r kexts in s/l/e.... Any help with that I would appreciate also!

Also, I tried upping the version # on the kexts (the ones I place in efi/extensions [ Audio and ICHx ]), I also made sure that the root was in the osbundlerequired also). No go from efi/extensions -> update.sh

this works! one slight problem though ive used this guide twice. the first time i used the kexts from the boot132 cd and put them in the 200MB partition. then i installed my audio kexts with kext helper and it worked but then i did something and my install broke. now i reinstalled and everything bla bla but this time i put in all those kexts and my audio kexts too (mistake) in the 200MB partition. it was alcinject.kext and applehda.kext now for some reason when i try to install audio with the kext helper it doesnt work. i still dont have sound..

any ideas?

anyway to remove those two kexts from the partition...

The reason I am modifying s/l/e is because of audio and my ICH9R. With the kexts in efi/extensions -> update.sh, I have no audio and orange icons for my HDs. I fixed that with putting those kexts in s/l/e. But, my System Profiler issues remain. Any ideas? (I am using the MacPro SMBIOS from ideneb, which worked in ideneb btw, but notso with my vanilla install).

EDIT: And, I would love to keep my s/l/e pure, but after banging my head against the kbd for hours, I gave up and placed the audio and ich9r kexts in s/l/e.... Any help with that I would appreciate also!

Also, I tried upping the version # on the kexts (the ones I place in efi/extensions [ Audio and ICHx ]), I also made sure that the root was in the osbundlerequired also). No go from efi/extensions -> update.sh

The only other thing I can recommend is to have a look at the instructions by ~Galaxy in the slimbuild thread. slimbuild by ~Galaxy - post #201

Hi og-phantom, I have the P5k Premium and I have ICH9R and jMicron working fine with kext in EFI partition. The only kext I have in s/l/e is Audio, everything else is Vanilla.

I've uploaded my Extensions HERE if you want to try them out.

SirReal

I am having this exact same problem. I have searched for hours with no solution. I get no audio and orange icons. My chipset is identified correctly as ICH10. My board is a gigabyte P45-DS3l, btw.

;)

Hi og-phantom, I have the P5k Premium and I have ICH9R and jMicron working fine with kext in EFI partition. The only kext I have in s/l/e is Audio, everything else is Vanilla.

I've uploaded my Extensions HERE if you want to try them out.

SirReal

Thanks! I will try them out. I just downloaded them and noticed a few things, you have audio kexts in there? (Or are those plist only kexts?) I will test your set (minus audio kexts till I hear back from you) and let know you how they work for me! Thank you again for sending those!

Great Thread everyone! And thanks Munky for starting something special.

I have successfully set up EFI with my GA-EP43-DS3L, Q6600, 4GB G.Skill RAM and EN7300GT 512 MB video.

So far everything is working in 10.5.4, but I'm afraid to update to 10.5.5 because I can't seem to get EFI strings to work instead of Natit.

Here's where I'm at now:

Retail 10.5.4 - working with EFI partition booter

sleep, shutdown and restart - all working

audio (888) - using stickpin method, but only seeming to get the rear line out working so far, I haven't tested the mics

video - flashed the en7300GT rom to get it to show its 512 VRAM to the bootloader and then Natit worked like a charm. That was a frustrating bit of play before I came to that point.

EDIT: SATA - all devices are there, but my LG GH22LS30 DVD will not burn.

EDIT: syba PCI firewire card (1394a) - working oob

wifi - d-link dwa-556 working oob

I will update this with more if I get anything else working. great system so far though and it runs supercool with my ultra120-extreme hs

p.s. munky, I recommend that you add a line after doing ./update.sh on /Volumes/EFI to cd / before umount, then you never have to do a umount -f

-peakz

I get a disk is not suitable for vista install on a totally separate hard drive. I have formatted from the vista disk etc. Still cannot install vista on another hard drive.. Any ideas?

My idea would be to try a different forum thread. This one is devoted to using the GUID EFI partition to boot near retail versions of OS X.

Hi Munky,

I followed your excellent guide to the letter, managed to install Leo Retail, :D

...but having trouble getting the bootloader on the EFI partition to work.

I have a GA-EP45C-DS3R, Q9550, 4GB, AHCI configured...

When booting from the EFI partition, it stops (cursor) after Boot0: done.... nothing elsee happens...

Booting with the boot132cd works... partitions is active, no errors when running update-script (only dependenciees, but that's allright)

What could possibly be wrong? :D

Allready tried to reformat the EFI partition, and doing the step-by-step again,

even with the disk connected on my MBP (so it's not in use while doing the edits): same thing

Also tried the 'copy' of the stage 1 bootloader with the bs=512 count=1 parameters... not working...

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

David

P.S.: I used the v5.1 package

Hi Munky,

I followed your excellent guide to the letter, managed to install Leo Retail, :D

...but having trouble getting the bootloader on the EFI partition to work.

I have a GA-EP45C-DS3R, Q9550, 4GB, AHCI configured...

When booting from the EFI partition, it stops (cursor) after Boot0: done.... nothing elsee happens...

Booting with the boot132cd works... partitions is active, no errors when running update-script (only dependenciees, but that's allright)

What could possibly be wrong? :D

Allready tried to reformat the EFI partition, and doing the step-by-step again,

even with the disk connected on my MBP (so it's not in use while doing the edits): same thing

Also tried the 'copy' of the stage 1 bootloader with the bs=512 count=1 parameters... not working...

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

David

P.S.: I used the v5.1 package

hello

try to use the kext package for your mobo included in this link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128954

Yesterday I followed the guide and it worked flawlessly. Very very nice, thank you!

A small question though, how can I auto-boot the volume "Leopard". Because at the moment I have to press <enter> at boot up.

Yesterday I followed the guide and it worked flawlessly. Very very nice, thank you!

A small question though, how can I auto-boot the volume "Leopard". Because at the moment I have to press <enter> at boot up.

Put a timeout key in your com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v boot-uuid=C71B1D31-CD17-36E5-A60E-B4555F0708F8</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>7</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hello,

I have successfully installed Leopard and I'm now following the steps to boot from the EFI partition.

I was able to format the EFI partition.

When I type

./fidsk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

I get the error:

fdisk: /dev/rdisk0: Permission denied

I've searched around for a couple days to no avail ... but so far everything else has worked perfectly.

thanks.

hello everybody!

just wanna report a succesfully installation with this method. So far this is the best way to install. Btw, I installed from another partition from a .dmg and I performed all the steps before booting the fresh installed disk. Everything worked like a charm, including update from software update. Thanks everyone!

A little concern about the 10.5.6 soon to come. Any news about the dsdt patch?