[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm still having problems.

I was using the EFI partition booter and everything was working fine.

I had the following in my EFI Extensions folder:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

all from the original boot-132 cd.

Then I had the following in my installation Extensions folder:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext (this and below for graphics fix)

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (for restart fix)

Everything worked fine like that, but I wanted it to be completely vanilla with all fixes in my EFI extensions folder. I reinstalled and this time put all the kexts into the EFI partition. Everything works fine except for the graphics fix. The first time it worked perfectly, I had every resolution available in my preferences up to 1920x1200 and it recognized my monitor model under color. This time there is still only an option for 1024x768, and nothing else. I used a Boot.plist file in my EFI folder to set Darwin to 1920x1200, but it boots up at 1600x1200 instead and 1600x1200 is the only option in preferences.

Why is it acting different, I don't understand why it wouldn't behave exactly as before. What can I do to correct it?

For reference my system is a Intel D945GCLF2 with intel Atom processor. Running Leopard 10.5.4 vanilla installed from a retail disk using boot-132.

Ok, I'm still having problems.

I was using the EFI partition booter and everything was working fine.

I had the following in my EFI Extensions folder:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

all from the original boot-132 cd.

Then I had the following in my installation Extensions folder:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext (this and below for graphics fix)

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (for restart fix)

Everything worked fine like that, but I wanted it to be completely vanilla with all fixes in my EFI extensions folder. I reinstalled and this time put all the kexts into the EFI partition. Everything works fine except for the graphics fix. The first time it worked perfectly, I had every resolution available in my preferences up to 1920x1200 and it recognized my monitor model under color. This time there is still only an option for 1024x768, and nothing else. I used a Boot.plist file in my EFI folder to set Darwin to 1920x1200, but it boots up at 1600x1200 instead and 1600x1200 is the only option in preferences.

Why is it acting different, I don't understand why it wouldn't behave exactly as before. What can I do to correct it?

For reference my system is a Intel D945GCLF2 with intel Atom processor. Running Leopard 10.5.4 vanilla installed from a retail disk using boot-132.

When you moved the graphics kext to the EFI Extensions folder, did you remember to check the Info.plist in each kext to be sure it had the following lines just before the end:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

they are required to be suer the override kext loads before the ones supplied by the install. Be sure the string value is "Root".

Nice guide, just a quick question, is this possible on an MBR hard drive?

Right now I actually partition as GUID, install using boot132, image the partition with disk util, then restore the partition once the partition table is MBR. This works fine, and I've used chameleon before to get my GFX and sound working.

I need MBR as I only have 1 hard disk and need to run Windows also.

When you moved the graphics kext to the EFI Extensions folder, did you remember to check the Info.plist in each kext to be sure it had the following lines just before the end:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

they are required to be suer the override kext loads before the ones supplied by the install. Be sure the string value is "Root".

Yes I did, as a matter of fact I thought I had it licked when I opened plist in AppleIntelGMA950 and it wasn't there. I added it, save/replaced it, ran update, and when it didn't work I made my post here. :rolleyes:

Yes I did, as a matter of fact I thought I had it licked when I opened plist in AppleIntelGMA950 and it wasn't there. I added it, save/replaced it, ran update, and when it didn't work I made my post here. ;)

Well, there are a couple of other places to look. If the kext has any Plugin kext they to would need the same bundle required string.

If they have that and still don't load, you can look at increasing the version number and the ioprobescore. I have read about these last two but never had to use them so I have no real experience with them.

If none of these work, I am out of ideas :)

Aluminum Sponge: I have Mac OS X Server running thru Boot-132 on my server, so I don't know why EFI-boot wouldn't work. :)

OS X Client and Server are technically identical, they just differ in the included software.

Hey, thanks for confirming you run it successfully from a boot-132 CD. I guess it should work just the same with EFI Boot Partition and my current set of KEXT that complete Client Leopard. I was curious that perhaps OS X Server had additional controls, copy protection, activation, etc KEXT's, etc that needed Disablers to get around. So is the Extension folder basically the same set of KEXT? And does OS X Server run the exact same kernel as Client or is it server optimized in any way??

Yes I did, as a matter of fact I thought I had it licked when I opened plist in AppleIntelGMA950 and it wasn't there. I added it, save/replaced it, ran update, and when it didn't work I made my post here.

If they have that and still don't load, you can look at increasing the version number and the ioprobescore. I have read about these last two but never had to use them so I have no real experience with them.

If none of these work, I am out of ideas

Chris_F

There is another way! See this post re plist only type kexts:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...129279&st=0

I had problems with GMA950 kexts & Strings on EFI until i tried this method. Below is link to kexts I created via that method - either do similar to your kexts or modify those at the link with your device id to suite your hardware.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133497

Good luck

This method works just fine for me. I have put together a set of kexts and a little guide for my motherboard in my signature. Everything is working just fine. I "remotely" (over videochat Skype) instructed a friend on how to put this on his P5K Premium system, and his is also working just fine.

This is by far the closest Mac experience I have had with OSx86 (I have several Macs at home and at work). It has revamped my interest quite a bit, I am planning on getting a MSI Wind, that together with this method would make it a very valid viable Mac netbook.

I have to open a full tutorial on my mobo soon, I just haven't had the time. In the meantime, down there in my sig, you can find everything if you know what you are looking for.

Great work munky!

This method works just fine for me. I have put together a set of kexts and a little guide for my motherboard in my signature. Everything is working just fine. I "remotely" (over videochat Skype) instructed a friend on how to put this on his P5K Premium system, and his is also working just fine.

This is by far the closest Mac experience I have had with OSx86 (I have several Macs at home and at work). It has revamped my interest quite a bit, I am planning on getting a MSI Wind, that together with this method would make it a very valid viable Mac netbook.

I have to open a full tutorial on my mobo soon, I just haven't had the time. In the meantime, down there in my sig, you can find everything if you know what you are looking for.

Great work munky!

Nice I'll have to check this out, I'm using a very similar motherboard (Gigabyte P35 DS4), and I've just managed to get this method going with minimal extensions... Thanks for posting your guide and extensions. ;)

hey, yes i know about that patch, but im now working with the chameleon team to bring this functionality to the next release of Chameleon. in theory, anyway - i've not actually had any time lately to work on anything except stuff im paid to do :/

this bootloader was only ever intended to meet my needs - that is boot Leopard only (i dont dual-boot). i wanted to share it as such for people who just want to run leopard. dual-booting was never a big goal for me, so unfortunately, it didnt get done.

in the meantime, i also got talking to zef and the chameleon guys, and managed to convince them that this approach is 'the way forward', or at least is worthy of addition to chameleon.

since zef and co are bringing this (and more!) to Chameleon, this project is effectively shelved. if the new Chameleon is not out before 10.5.6, then I might update this one to v6 and apply the DSDT patch, because current thinking is that a DSDT override is required for 10.5.6 to install on hacks.

hi munky,

I traduced your topic for the french community (so i'm kind of "in charge" for the stuff ;) ).

... and i have two questions :

1- Are you shure the FSB detection of version 5.1 works well ? Some users reported errors with it. I also had errors in system profiler (wrong FSB recognition and ram type and speed unset), so we all came back to the v4.

2- Is this compatible with your methode, or are you working on it ?

Thank's anyway for the very good job you made here !

PM!

EDIT : I think i red the answer of my second questions in the main topic :P

I decided to use this method on a Msi Wind I just purchased will be here today ( i love newegg) it should be a straight foward thing from what i read i have all required kext to boot and purchased retail and going full vanilla . When I'm done should have a fully supported hackbook air ( i will replace wifi with airport card ) Isight will work qe/ci will work and native res I will post results again munky and all involved in all this innovation i owe you alot have learned alot just from reading this post and many others. oh and BTw i have a 2gb hd and mac compatible external dvd burner

So I want to try this and dive in deep. I've been running my system with a kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4. I just recently tried to get 10.5.5 running smoothly to no avail so I would love to get this working. Would anyone have any insight on my hardware working with this method? I run the following:

Asus Maximus Formula mobo (X38 Intel chipset)

Q6600 quad core

4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz

300gb velociraptor sata

sata pioneer DL burner

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked.

I think that covers it all.

So I want to try this and dive in deep. I've been running my system with a kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4. I just recently tried to get 10.5.5 running smoothly to no avail so I would love to get this working. Would anyone have any insight on my hardware working with this method? I run the following:

Asus Maximus Formula mobo (X38 Intel chipset)

Q6600 quad core

4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz

300gb velociraptor sata

sata pioneer DL burner

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked.

I think that covers it all.

First of all thank you Munky for this beautiful guide; fast, solid, elegant boot method.

I have installed a retail Leopard 10.5.4 with your efi boot and I'm running osx smoothly. I have not tried yet the software update.

For 'NoValidTitle' , this is my hardware, very similar to yours.

Abit IX38

Q6600 quad

4gb Geil Ultra DD2 800mhz

2 sata Seagate 250+500 gb, guid partitioned with osx+vista, bootcamp+fusion

sata pioneer burner

PNY 8800 gt, with string in com.apple.Boot.plist

Only problem is that I cannot boot directly to windows partitions, for this we have to wait the new release of chameleon, right? do you will place a link in this tutorial when it will be realized?

Thanks, Giulio

So I dove in. I got it up and running 10.5.0 from my retail disk. I tried to run the combo update, it ran, I rebooted and now I can't get her to start up to a login prompt unless I booth with -x into safe mode. Lets see what kind of information I can supply for troubleshooting.

the last thing on my screen when I boot with -v is configd[45]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

the disappointing part about this whole thing is this is the exact same problem I had when I used kalyway and updated to 10.5.5 I was hoping this would rid of those issues. apparently not :( I greatly appreciate any and all help that can be provided though!

Thanks,

Jim

edit* quick question too. If I have another SATA drive can I do a backing by booting to my retail and copy the drive to the second drive so I don't have to start fresh every time? I'm just not sure it if will keep all the of EFI and such in tact.

Hi,

I have a problem with dual-booting vista_x64 and osx.

Here is my partition table:

1: EFI partition

2: NTFS (for vista)

3: HFS+ (for osx)

4: FAT32 (shared data)

I successfully followed Munkey's instructions, including fdisk's "f 1" step. So I saw "boot0: MBR" on booting and osx loaded fine. Then I installed vista so that computer started to boot vista by default (without any menu). The problem is that I cant' make dual-booting with each of bootloaders (vista/darwin).

When I make vista's partition active vista is get loaded. When I make EFI partition active it shows the only option of osx. I also tried to copy boot0 file which comes with efi_boot_v5.1.zip to vista's partition and add "c:\boot0" to vista's boot menu but when I select osx in this menu it does nothing (the menu appears again).

Can I fix that?

You can't currently fix it. Either dual boot with two hard drives, or get used to switching active partitions for now.

ok...

But maybe there is another method of using EFI partition and dual-boot vista and osx on one drive?

So I dove in. I got it up and running 10.5.0 from my retail disk. I tried to run the combo update, it ran, I rebooted and now I can't get her to start up to a login prompt unless I booth with -x into safe mode. Lets see what kind of information I can supply for troubleshooting.

the last thing on my screen when I boot with -v is configd[45]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

the disappointing part about this whole thing is this is the exact same problem I had when I used kalyway and updated to 10.5.5 I was hoping this would rid of those issues. apparently not :wacko: I greatly appreciate any and all help that can be provided though!

Thanks,

Jim

edit* quick question too. If I have another SATA drive can I do a backing by booting to my retail and copy the drive to the second drive so I don't have to start fresh every time? I'm just not sure it if will keep all the of EFI and such in tact.

The short answer is yes - you can use that method for backup.

The only thing that will destroy your EFI partition is if you repartition the drive. Erasing the OS X partition with disk utility will not effect it. I know this method will work - I use it myself.

novalidtitle

I had that error too after i updated to 10.5.5. It was caused by my graphics card. Boot into safe mode (cant remember the flag for that sorry) and install drivers for your video card. I installed nvinstaller or something like that and put the efi string into my boot.plist which resides on my efi partition.

of cpourse i found all this out after spending hours thinking there was an issue with my network cards.

[solved]Thank you Munky for this elegant install guide.

I have installed a retail Leopard 10.5 with your efi boot and before installing 10.5.5 with software update, ì've had to install 10.5.4 combo up. Osx running smoothly, but in the hardware three i don't recognize firewire port. dmesg say FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID 000e1....etc; max speed s400, but in System Preference Network doesn't appear.

My mobo is Ep35-ds4. Any suggest?

Sorry for my English! :D