[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Quote:

3) ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - this puts the stage 0 bootloader onto the target disk

4) dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1 - this puts the stage 1 bootloader onto the target partition (EFI partition)

Why are we suddenly changing from diskS to rdiskX and from diskXsY to rdiskXsY?

What number am I looking for to replace X and Y for rdisk?

Quote:

3) ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - this puts the stage 0 bootloader onto the target disk

4) dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1 - this puts the stage 1 bootloader onto the target partition (EFI partition)

Why are we suddenly changing from diskS to rdiskX and from diskXsY to rdiskXsY?

What number am I looking for to replace X and Y for rdisk?

It's the same set of numbers for "X" and "Y". The difference between disk and rdisk is related to the way the fdisk and dd commands work in OS X.

hey munky!

trying now your boot-turbo-munky.bin but not in the EFI System Partition. :(

you've provided update.sh to UPDATE the extra kexts cache. does it mean that an Extensions.mkext is already automatically created in [PARTITION]/System/Booter & the script will just update it? if yes, how so?

another question, since the script is named UPDATE.sh, how often (when) should it be (re)ran?

i'm interested in revising my setup guide to make use of your boot-turbo-munky.bin.

tnx a lot for your time & knowedge. :)

Hi Guys!

Thanks for this bootloader, awesome stuff! I was using chameleon before. Everything is working flawlessly.

Extensions used are minimal: AppleDecrypt.kext, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, Disabler.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, SMBIOSResolver.kext.

Regarding multiboot:

I have Vista on the same HDD on GPT which i need and use occasionally. So it was a bit of a problem for me. I solved this issue with grub on usb flash stick which i use when booting into vista. Mac OS X boots natively from HDD. Not sure if it might work if grub was placed on a small fat32 partition, not sure if it can pick up OS X on GPT as they dont get along very well.

But Grub on usb stick to boot into windows is an option now until there is a new loader from efi which can see non-hfs partitions.

Cheers!!!

Hi All,

I would like to know if this procedure would work with a Retail Mac OS X Server 10.5 DVD??

I have just installed and updated a Vanilla OS X from a Retail 10.5.4 Client DVD and have painstakingly gathered a minimal specific set of KEXT I need for my hardware. Would installing Leopard Server on another partition of the same GPT disk require any additional KEXT's not already in my EFI partition??

With the new simplicity of running Retail DVD's, I realized Leopard Server has everything I need for Web development pre-assembled, including Apache Tomcat 6.0.18, MySQL Server 5, etc, all of which come pre-configured. But more importantly, they get updated regularly with Security Updates. Even for the stuff already included in Client, Leopard Server provides nice GUI interfaces (eg. Postfix SMTP server). Yes, I know each of these can be individually installed and configured manually on my current Leopard Client, but it would be nice to get them all together (ala LAMP/WAMP)

Any possible problems of Leopard Server with Munky's EFI boot method?

Thanks for any input!

Not sure if it might work if grub was placed on a small fat32 partition, not sure if it can pick up OS X on GPT as they dont get along very well.

The other day I tried to get Ubuntu to boot Leopard (Kalyway 5.2 in case that matters) on GPT with grub and all I could get was a HFS+ partition error. You'd probably have better luck with this:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

(I ended up killing the Ubuntu so I didn't take things further.)

Aluminum Sponge: I have Mac OS X Server running thru Boot-132 on my server, so I don't know why EFI-boot wouldn't work. :censored2:

OS X Client and Server are technically identical, they just differ in the included software.

ejket: Thanks man for replying. Yes, thats also what i am getting when booting with grub from external drive though. Grub really doesn't like osx on guid disk. I made it boot vista from usb stick so i am good for now.

I will give it a go with rEFIt for sure. Thanks.

I'm using v5.1 of this guide but cannot get my EFI graphic string to work (8600GT, 256 MB). Without it, the system boots fine. With it, it gets all the way thru until it's time to load the GUI then freezes.

I added the string to my com.apple.Boot.plist using EFIStudio, which I've used many times before on pre-packaged installs (iDeneb, Kalyway, etc) and it's always worked. I then copied the boot.plist file to my /Volumes/EFI partition.

I shouldn't need any special kexts for this to work, right? I'm only loading one or two required kexts at the moment since I'm doing a vanilla install on a Core2Duo.

Thanks muchly, munky, but I have a problem. I tried to update to 10.5.5, and it finishes fine, but here's what I get:

1. It reboots from OSX, fine.

2. As it booted, it rebooted[with MACH reboot], okay no problem I guess.

3. Now, it Hangs on:

localhost mDNSResponder[23]: sandbox_init error
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.bsd.dirhelper err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.distributed_notifications.2 err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.ocspd err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd err=1100

Any clues? Rig: See Mizuki in sig.

hi, very cool method munky : perfect , for sure ....

but i'm curious.

1 - without the files in /Volumes/EFI/Extensions/*.kext AND with only /Volumes/System/Booter/Extension.mkext : system can work perfectly ? (i think yes but not sure....)

2 - how can i found the perfect kext for my GA-EP35-DS4 motherboard ?

3 - who can os x work with only Extension.mkext in hidden EFI partition ?

4 - is it possible to implement a gui boot os chooser ?

5 - and finaly : can we bypass the ENTER key when chossing hd(0,2) Macintosh harddrive during bootloader stage ?

(i have 3 sata disk : 1 - xp system , 2 - os x 86 , 3- xp data )

Thanks muchly, munky, but I have a problem. I tried to update to 10.5.5, and it finishes fine, but here's what I get:

1. It reboots from OSX, fine.

2. As it booted, it rebooted[with MACH reboot], okay no problem I guess.

3. Now, it Hangs on:

localhost mDNSResponder[23]: sandbox_init error
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.bsd.dirhelper err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.distributed_notifications.2 err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.ocspd err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper err=1100
Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd err=1100

Any clues? Rig: See Mizuki in sig.

Try booting -x the first time to see if that will help, also try disabling the nic and see if you can get in that way ... just a thought.

I cant boot with this method on my new Intel Atom 330 hackintosh. I get a kernel panic saying that I have a unsupported processor type in the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment (I think thats it) kext.

Booting works just fine with a Boot123 disk. I'm running 10.5.5 vanilla kernel.

Whats wrong?

Edit, removed the kext but now its taking eons to load, starts moving really slow just after it tries to establish an AirPort uplink. The it seems to stop at ntpupdate[120] no suitable server found.

Another curious thing is with the power management kext removed my CPU shows up as "2 x 1.6GHz Unknown" when it used to be just "1.6GHz Unknown" in About. Why should that effect it?

I cant boot with this method on my new Intel Atom 330 hackintosh. I get a kernel panic saying that I have a unsupported processor type in the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment (I think thats it) kext.

Booting works just fine with a Boot123 disk. I'm running 10.5.5 vanilla kernel.

Whats wrong?

Edit, removed the kext but now its taking eons to load, starts moving really slow just after it tries to establish an AirPort uplink. The it seems to stop at ntpupdate[120] no suitable server found.

Another curious thing is with the power management kext removed my CPU shows up as "2 x 1.6GHz Unknown" when it used to be just "1.6GHz Unknown" in About. Why should that effect it?

Sounds like some of the kext from the EFI partition are not loading. If you had one of the disabler kext the AppleCPUPowerManagement kext should not have loaded.

Did you make sure all of your override kext had

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

at the end of the Info.plist?

Has anyone managed to dual boot OSX and vista on one drive with this? Just curious..

Currently, the boot loader does not support it. There are some who try to use grub to make it happen, but with mixed results. Others have created a usbstick boot method which works for them when they wish to boot Vista.

There are rumors about a new Chameleon in the works to combine this method and include the old Chameleon function of recognizing foreign OS partitions. So far, there have been no published dates or beta tests.

Currently, the boot loader does not support it. There are some who try to use grub to make it happen, but with mixed results. Others have created a usbstick boot method which works for them when they wish to boot Vista.

There are rumors about a new Chameleon in the works to combine this method and include the old Chameleon function of recognizing foreign OS partitions. So far, there have been no published dates or beta tests.

Hi there! ;) I can confirm the rumors, and it seems we merged most of the functions already, actually my next step is to add foreign OS support for GPT disks. I used a totally different code for scanning GPT disks in "old" Chameleon but it conflicts with dfe's GPT implementation what we need to resolve.

We'll back soon :)

Bye,

zef

There are no kext in my EFI partition just like there are no kext on my boot123 CD, I'm running 9.5.0 vanilla kernel and I don't need any special kexts to boot normally.

I have this problem too ;). I have Vista as first partition and OSx86 as second. I can now boot fine into OSX, but how can i boot Vista now?

Any tricks?

How should i create a USB Boot Stick?

TIA!

I have this problem too :P. I have Vista as first partition and OSx86 as second. I can now boot fine into OSX, but how can i boot Vista now?

Any tricks?

How should i create a USB Boot Stick?

How about to activate your Vista partition then add chain0 to Vista's boot loader. Anyway we're really going to release a new test version hopefully this week.

Bye,

zef

I've followed this guide and I'm proud to say I'm running a Retail Leopard.

Hardware is an 478-pin Intel P4 3E GHz HT SL7PM processor, Abit IC7-G ICH5-based MoBo, 2Gb DDR-500 (4x 512Mb), 2x SATA Seagate 200Gb, DVD-RW PATA drive, ATi X1950Pro AGP, BuildSmart's PCI Airport card.

Running Voodoo Beta 2c kernel and, of course, 10.5.5 Leopard (updated with Apple ComboUpdate from 10.5.0).

Custom kexts are:

- AppleACPIPlatform, AppleSMBIOS, IOPCIFamily, Disabler, dsmos (for system startup)

- IO801Family (for AirPort card)

- IOATAFamily (for ICH-5 SATA disk -- NO RAID set in BIOS)

- IONDRVSupport, natit, ATI drivers from Bronya (for X1950Pro video card)

- AppleAHCIPort, AppleHDA, IOAHCIFamily, JMicronATA (just for safety -- not really needed, *i think*)

However, some pending issues:

- SMBios: Could not find any working SMBios kext; on System Profiler, machine is still detected as a regular "Mac", missing Model identifier, my L2 processor cache is wrongly detected as 512Kb (should be 1Mb) and my Memories are all of "Unknown speed".

- "About this Mac" crashes desktop with "Bus Error" message on Console.

- Restart or Shut Down does not work.

Zef: When I use chain0 I just get chain booting error, I'm guessing due to GPT.

If you have at least 1 non-HFS filesystem on your GPT disk then DiskUtilty keeps your partition table syncornized to the MBR as well (up to the first 3 partitions). Anyway for a more versatile chain0, we need a hybrid MBR+GPT scan support soon, that's true.