[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

@ peppi

you need to change the version numbers of the kexts on yr EFI partition to be higher than the version numbers on system/library/extensions, otherwise they will not override

you do this by opening the kext (rightclick - show package contents) and editing the plist file.

you may be able to use a EFI string for you video card instead of NVinject, i believe that it is considered better to use a EFI string.

Hi, thanks for reply, ill see if i can get it going with efi string, thats quite new for me.

But exactly this kext has no higher version, my audiodriver the same, or ist it a matter of type?

so there is a newr audiodriver, even if its not mine? i just now am not shure which kext are being loaded

in general. another example - i cannot boot without dsmos in System, its ignored in efi...?

P

its not a matter of having a newer kext, its a matter of tricking the kext loader into thinking the one on the EFI partition is newer so that it loads it, and you do that by editing its version number in its internal plist

If you read the last few pages of this thread, you will find details of that and also of the terminal commands involving kextstat that allow you to determine which kexts are actually being loaded.

its not a matter of having a newer kext, its a matter of tricking the kext loader into thinking the one on the EFI partition is newer so that it loads it, and you do that by editing its version number in its internal plist

If you read the last few pages of this thread, you will find details of that and also of the terminal commands involving kextstat that allow you to determine which kexts are actually being loaded.

whell shure, that i understand, but i definitely do not have for example kxaudio in my system,

onbly in efi, but it is not loaded. only when i put it in system it gets 'it'. same with the others.

removing them-> systemload fails. so it can't be a matter of teh version. does it?

p

i'm sorry if this has been answered before, but i've searched around and even googled around to no avail.

i'm using a kalyway 10.5.2 AMD release.

because i have an amd cpu, if i want to do this i have to include certain patched kexts, along with completely new ones to make sure my system will boot up properly.

can anyone tell me what to look for in picking kexts to include, or provide me with a complete list of required kexts?

Very satisfied with this method - however, dual booting using Darwin and typing other HD id # doesn't work for me (blinking cursor or completely frozen system) - I can do it only via BIOS (order of HDs during boot). I have one GPT HD for Leo and one MBR HD for Windoze.

and also... I found out that running PowerQuest's PARTITION MAGIC app under Win will result in corrupted GPT disk - unable to boot (just restoring my data from Time Machine). No warnings - nothing. After running PQM (no modifications, no changes) disk appears to be MBR partitioned and unformatted. Although, data are still visible through HFSexplorer in Win... :)

Is there any way to have this not wait for a prompt? I know normally you can set a timeout time, but with this method installed, I always have to hit enter to continue the boot process. Am I missing something?

I am not sure what your problem is, but I can say that I have two external drives and one internal drive all with this boot loader method installed and none require pressing enter to boot the system. There is a Boot.plist with a timeout set in the first HFS+ partition on each drive,

The only thing I can think of is to double check the syntax of the timeout key and string lines in the Boot.plist.

I am not sure what your problem is, but I can say that I have two external drives and one internal drive all with this boot loader method installed and none require pressing enter to boot the system. There is a Boot.plist with a timeout set in the first HFS+ partition on each drive,

The only thing I can think of is to double check the syntax of the timeout key and string lines in the Boot.plist.

You got the menu only if you have 2 or more partitions on bootable (OSX) disk. You can put timeout with 1 second in com.apple.boot.plist file.

Ive got the following problem:

1.- I dont have retail, but iATKOS 5i and it seems to work but the boot screen is totally white with no apple logo, but it boots (no PS2 for some reason)

2.- Ive got windows 7 on the same drive, how do i boot from it? I only have OSX as an option

3.- How do i completely remove PC_EFI from the boot partition and have this as the ONLY bootloader (besides windows of course)

Ive got the following problem:

1.- I dont have retail, but iATKOS 5i and it seems to work but the boot screen is totally white with no apple logo, but it boots (no PS2 for some reason)

2.- Ive got windows 7 on the same drive, how do i boot from it? I only have OSX as an option

3.- How do i completely remove PC_EFI from the boot partition and have this as the ONLY bootloader (besides windows of course)

I guess this is because of the large size of your device-properties node. Is that more than 4096 bytes long at the moment?

You can adjust the max node size (IO_CONFIG_DATA_SIZE) here: i386/libsaio/legacy/configTablePrivate.h

Chameleon uses 16384 bytes for this constant.

Btw, i've 'ported' the foreign OS support on GPT disks for the new Chameleon codebase so we're getting closer again to a new release.

Hi Munky,

is it possible to increase the size of this node to get GFX-Strings working please?

All of this guide is working here except EFI-strings for my graphics card and Ethernet...

Thx in advance and Merry Christmas! :(

Another thing, for pre-Core users, please keep the relevant System.kext on the EFI partition for the kernel you wish to use. For example, my hackintosh has mach_kernel.voodoo (9.4.0 kernel for 10.5.4), and the 9.4.0 (10.5.4) System.kext in /System/Booter/Extensions.mkext. These are used in preference to the kernel and System.kext on the installation, which are both vanilla 9.5.0 (10.5.5) versions. This means USB mounting etc wont break.

It is not working this way. Since first time I tried your guide (rev 5.1), I am having to change my extensions on official /S/L/E, as the same extensions on EFI/Extensions are not being used -- notably AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Now with 10.5.6, USB mounting broke, and I had to replace official System.kext from /S/L/E with a 10.5.5 version which were stored on EFI/Extensions. USB was back working.

However, this is pretty strange: Bronya's ATI x1950Pro, AnV SMBIOS and IOATA drivers are properly loaded from EFI/Extensions, but modified AppleAirPortBrcm4311 or the 10.5.5 System.kext are not.

Any other information can be provided as requested.

Thanks.

good work nameless2k. :)

i feel a bit bad, a few people actually provided scripts to me, i was supposed to create the One True Script and release it, but I, er, didnt get round to it.

apologies to all those involved, you know who you are... ;)