SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

so if i'm reading into this correctly this could essentially be the cost efficient osx86 developed replacement for EFI-x USB correct?

by the way, when I get a chance I'm gonna try this install method on my Dell D600 with a pentium M SSE2 proc. I'll post results after I give it a try

Tonight I made a significant step towards my goal. With a LOT of help from the xnu-chat guys, esp Dense and Turbo, I now have a USB drive which will boot cleanly with full gfx, Ethernet and wifi on either my hack or my MacBook pro (or any intel mac for that matter).

The disk shows up in Disk Utility.app as having only one partition, and I have made ZERO modifications to that partition. This USB drive boots on my PC to a fully working Leopard env without any additional things (ie no efi-x, no boot132 CD...)

Can't say too much at this stage but I'm pretty excited about this.. :-)

Nice Work munky keep going :D

I want to take this opportunity to point out that I am just a humble tinkerer, standing on the shoulders of giants such as dfe, zef, Turbo, Dense, and others involved in the StageXNU and Chameleon teams.

That said, I want to address kernalzero's assertion that this could be an EFI-X for the masses. Well, I wouldnt quite go that far, but to me this is the nicest, cleanest hackintosh install to date.

The trick is we're repurposing the hidden 200Mb EFI partition which Disk Utility places at the beginning of any GPT disk. This is here because the EFI spec says it MUST be, and Apple want to be a good citizen and follow the spec properly. This partition is supposedly there to hold EFI drivers. However, it is utterly unused by Apple, and so its basically a 200Mb partition which is always there, always hidden by Mac OS X and does nothing... until now :)

The technique involes reformatting the EFI partition as HFS+ and installing the relevant kernels and kernel extensions onto that partition, as well as a special, modified bootloader. Then we use a method very like the boot-132 CD to boot the Leopard installation.

This setup is working great on my PC (which, you'll remember, can't run the Vanilla kernel). I'm running Software Update to bring me up to 10.5.4 now, which im fully confident with work without a hitch. (Having tested with boot-132 before, I know this to be the case :P)

I want to take this opportunity to point out that I am just a humble tinkerer, standing on the shoulders of giants such as dfe, zef, Turbo, Dense, and others involved in the StageXNU and Chameleon teams.

That said, I want to address kernalzero's assertion that this could be an EFI-X for the masses. Well, I wouldnt quite go that far, but to me this is the nicest, cleanest hackintosh install to date.

The trick is we're repurposing the hidden 200Mb EFI partition which Disk Utility places at the beginning of any GPT disk. This is here because the EFI spec says it MUST be, and Apple want to be a good citizen and follow the spec properly. This partition is supposedly there to hold EFI drivers. However, it is utterly unused by Apple, and so its basically a 200Mb partition which is always there, always hidden by Mac OS X and does nothing... until now :D

The technique involes reformatting the EFI partition as HFS+ and installing the relevant kernels and kernel extensions onto that partition, as well as a special, modified bootloader. Then we use a method very like the boot-132 CD to boot the Leopard installation.

This setup is working great on my PC (which, you'll remember, can't run the Vanilla kernel). I'm running Software Update to bring me up to 10.5.4 now, which im fully confident with work without a hitch. (Having tested with boot-132 before, I know this to be the case :))

I thought that I can't delete that partition and it has some file system or whatever but this seems like a great idea it's even better than the Extra folder and the usb drive I'll try it when I put my hands on a free hard disk ( can't format one of my hard disks now :P ) and I'll tell you how it goes thanks a lot to you again and all of the giants :)

BTW do you use a bootloader different than what we use right now ?

After 20 minutes of kext loading, a bunch of errors and crazy dvd spinning a finally booted my retail Leo :D.

I used the iso released by 3D man...thx for that i`ve been experimenting for 2 weeks now and never worked.

@munky i`m waiting for a tutorial :D. u rock....keep u the good work

thx all

After 20 minutes of kext loading, a bunch of errors and crazy dvd spinning a finally booted my retail Leo :D.

I used the iso released by 3D man...thx for that i`ve been experimenting for 2 weeks now and never worked.

@munky i`m waiting for a tutorial :D. u rock....keep u the good work

thx all

I'm very glad that it worked for you, try installing and see what will happen :D

I'm very glad that it worked for you, try installing and see what will happen :D

I`ll install it...the prob is that i don`t want to test it on my current workink HDD and Leo don`t like my two old disks. One hase some SMART isues...and rejected it...and the second while the kext loading take place...it shuts it down...:D..

So as soon as i put my hands on a hdd this will be my first priority :D

Well, Mr. Humble Tinkerer, congrats.

Congrats to all the others involved, as well.

This is very exciting!

i received these questions in a PM, thought i'd repost it here for everyone to see:

You said that you've formated the EFI partition to HFS+ partition then you put a modified bootloader and the initrd.img.

I want to ask you some questions ( If you don't mind of course ;) ):

• If you made a backup by time machine and your system fails, so you put Leopard install DVD and select restore from time machine. If you do that can you still be able to boot your partition without any problems ( since all of your modified bootloader and initrd.img in the other partition) ?

• Could you hide that HFS+ partition again like it was ?

The answers:

1) I suspect that unless you repartition the disk in Disk Utility, the EFI partition will remain untouched. This should mean that you can do basically anything you could do on a real mac - eg Archive and Install, Erase and Install (aka clean install), restore from Time Machine etc. See note, below.

2) The great thing about using the EFI partition is that it is *already* hidden. The fact its formatted as HFS+ doesnt change that - the partition type remains as 'EFI System Partition', so the Mac OS and Disk Utility.app obligingly hide it, just like on a real mac. Its still possible to mount it if you want to modify it, but during a normal boot it will remain unmounted and hidden.

Note: One thing.. I did end up making one (tiny) modification to the installed OS - namely changing com.apple.Boot.plist to specify my boot device and kernel. This was to save me the effort of having to type in stuff at every boot. A reinstall would overwrite these changes. The fix would be to simply enter the correct params at the boot prompt the first time after reinstall, then change com.apple.Boot.plist after booting. I can live with that ;)

I got this Working on a NC8000 perfectly :P everything exept th battery and qe/ci Thx to Nickhe , Munky and 3D mn

Congratulations :P

i received these questions in a PM, thought i'd repost it here for everyone to see:

The answers:

1) I suspect that unless you repartition the disk in Disk Utility, the EFI partition will remain untouched. This should mean that you can do basically anything you could do on a real mac - eg Archive and Install, Erase and Install (aka clean install), restore from Time Machine etc. See note, below.

2) The great thing about using the EFI partition is that it is *already* hidden. The fact its formatted as HFS+ doesnt change that - the partition type remains as 'EFI System Partition', so the Mac OS and Disk Utility.app obligingly hide it, just like on a real mac. Its still possible to mount it if you want to modify it, but during a normal boot it will remain unmounted and hidden.

Note: One thing.. I did end up making one (tiny) modification to the installed OS - namely changing com.apple.Boot.plist to specify my boot device and kernel. This was to save me the effort of having to type in stuff at every boot. A reinstall would overwrite these changes. The fix would be to simply enter the correct params at the boot prompt the first time after reinstall, then change com.apple.Boot.plist after booting. I can live with that :D

This is great method, It's very close to a real Mac, I'm waiting your instructions.

Thanks a lot and keep the good work.

can you make a step by step install for Newbies ??? and how to modify the Boot 132

Also what kernel is best for P4ht and can i use te software update without any problems

You'll find the steps to edit your image here in Part D.

modbin 9.4.0 kernel will work great.

yes you can use software update directly ;)

The modified bootloader isn't for release yet, it's still full of debug output etc. The dev responsible is hpefully going to give me a clean version suitable for public consumption but he's quite busy with other pretty amazing stuff.

Yes, Software Update is totally fine. I installed retail 10.5.0 on my pentium D machine and then fully updated via SU. All working perfectly. Well, except audio which I haven't tackled yet.

The modified bootloader isn't for release yet, it's still full of debug output etc. The dev responsible is hpefully going to give me a clean version suitable for public consumption but he's quite busy with other pretty amazing stuff.

Yes, Software Update is totally fine. I installed retail 10.5.0 on my pentium D machine and then fully updated via SU. All working perfectly. Well, except audio which I haven't tackled yet.

I want also to make my AC97 audio kext load from my boot CD but it doesn't want to boot, I've tried every thing, It doesn't work until I put the kext in my extensions folder .

Is there any solution for this ?

as far as i can tell, nobody has managed to get audio to work without directly modifying /System/Library/Extensions.

i guess having to repatch audio after OS updates isnt so bad. would prefer to avoid it though...

EDIT: some folks were saying that its possible to take the audio kext, change its name, bump its version number and thus have it survive updates...

can you make a step by step install for Newbies ??? and how to modify the Boot 132

Also what kernel is best for P4ht and can i use te software update without any problems

Yes please!!! I second that request, c'mon guys (and gals) help us newbs migrate from the Windowz world....

We might be newbies at Mac but once we get up to speed, I assure you, we can add some serious value....

Guys, its not about making a guide... the software needed (the modified bootloader) has not been ok'd for release.

once i get a releaseable version from the devs, i will release not just a guide but a disc (ISO) which should largely automate the entire process.

Disabler.kext can actually disable basically any .kext. You can configure it in the Info.plist inside Disabler.kext...

Guys, its not about making a guide... the software needed (the modified bootloader) has not been ok'd for release.

once i get a releaseable version from the devs, i will release not just a guide but a disc (ISO) which should largely automate the entire process.

Disabler.kext can actually disable basically any .kext. You can configure it in the Info.plist inside Disabler.kext...

i got it about 2 seconds after i posted

Understood :-(

Kindly point us into the right direction of which retail to download so long. I see u get 4GB versions and 6GB versions etc.

Bandwidth very limited and slow in South Africa.

Want to start the download so long.

Will buy 5 pack Leopard license for the family once have a working installation.

Surely this will work with Snow Leopard as well? Anyone know the release date?